Author Topic: Reorganized Downloads folder, now game doesn't load without deleting cache  (Read 443 times)

Offline inspiredzone

• Toddling Tot
As of a week or two ago, every time I attempt to open my game, it doesn't load. I have Ultimate Collection and I launch from my desktop, so no discs or anything. It loads if I rename/delete the groups.cache and accessory.cache files in My Documents, but I don't want to keep doing that ad infinitum without repairing the actual problem.

I recently reorganized my Downloads folder for the first time in forever, but just moved the files around in subfolders and deleted some clothes and objects CCs that I literally never use. Didn't take out any meshes or hacks or anything. Reran Hack Conflict just in case and nothing new arose.

No weird errors, game hasn't crashed during play, nothing out of the ordinary in-game. I have a back-up of my old Downloads folder, so I will be inconvenienced, but not heart-broken if I have to go back. Real issue is not knowing what I did wrong, so how can I clean up my downloads folder without causing this issue again?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 06:39:50 PM by inspiredzone »

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • We'll jump off that bridge when we come to it.
    • Leefish
It *is* possible for you to do nothing wrong at all, and the game still screwing up its own cache files. And it's always hard to say what little thing causes it to do that.
But really, if deleting the cache files every time you play, is all you have to do to keep it working, you should be glad that that's all it takes. Many people already delete those files on a regular basis, because it makes their game run better if it's allowed to create those file fresh at every restart.

And if you don't want to go through the trouble of finding and deleting them manually every time, then why don't you write a batch file to start your game? The batch file could automatically delete the caches just before executing the game.

If you have no idea what I'm talking about, then here's a little help doing that:
Just create a text file with the following two lines in it:

Del "C:\Users\<yourname>\Documents\Origin\The Sims 2<whatever>\*.cache"
Sims2EP99.exe

You may have to edit the first line a bit to make it point to the files in the correct folder. But leave the * where it is, because that's a wildcard that will take care of BOTH files.
Now give this text file the name "Sims2EP99.bat" and place it in the EXACT same folder where your Sims2EP99.exe file is located.
The last thing you need to do, is to edit the Shortcut on your desktop, so it doesn't run the .exe file, but the .bat file instead.

That should be all there is to it. Problem solved without you having to restore the old disorganized CC folder.

"BO, Sir, you rock! :bow:" - TheISZ                           (banner design: eefje00704/Eva)

Offline inspiredzone

• Toddling Tot
I went away on vacation and completely forgot I posted about this. Thanks BO! I had this "What did I do?!" moment of panic and thought I'd borked something. I might try the batch file.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • We'll jump off that bridge when we come to it.
    • Leefish
No problem :)

"BO, Sir, you rock! :bow:" - TheISZ                           (banner design: eefje00704/Eva)

anything
anything