Author Topic: Get into Private School Examination  (Read 3416 times)

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Superannuated Coffeeholic
    • Zephyr Zodiac @ 4-Shared
Get into Private School Examination
« on: July 29, 2016, 05:25:13 AM »
At present I use the option on the College Adjuster to send sims to private school, but this is rather too easy, so then I started to make them wait until they had reached A+.  Then I thought, what if there was a fairly hard exam they could take (maybe on the computer, maybe a workbook using Inge's homework table, maybe the headmaster could visit to administer the test, or maybe something else) which would give them a percentage (which could be adjustable) which they would have to pass in order to get into the private school.

Just wondering if anyone thought this might be doable.
"All the world's a Neighbourhood, and all the men and women merely Sims."  ZephyrZodiac with apologies to Willie Waggledagger.

http://www.4shared.com/u/yCrnLoEP/Zephyr_Zodiac.html

Offline LilSister

• Toddling Tot
    • LilSister's Sims Family Affair
Re: Get into Private School Examination
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 05:53:59 PM »
Something like that would be great!

Offline arathea

• Tempermental Tyke
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 01:29:00 PM »
It's not exactly what you want but there's a (hard) private school test at Simslice/the booty to get a child into private school, no percentage of fail though. There's also an easy test to get a child back into public school. I've never used these so I can't say how hard/easy these are.
Arathea's Area@TFM's Naughty Sims Asylum

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2016, 02:33:41 PM »
Thanks, Arathea, I'll give that a try if no-one wants to make exactly what I want, just need to decide whether I want to pay for a sub to Simslice (I would be willing to do that, just need to know there are more things there that I need.)
"All the world's a Neighbourhood, and all the men and women merely Sims."  ZephyrZodiac with apologies to Willie Waggledagger.

Offline arathea

• Tempermental Tyke
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2016, 02:58:26 PM »
There's always the booty.  :wink:

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2016, 03:00:51 PM »
I know, but I wouldn't go there unless an object was unavailable on the original site.

Offline arathea

• Tempermental Tyke
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2016, 03:18:18 PM »
You better consider the booty. Some people had problems not too long ago when they payed a subscription but the password didn't work.

http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=578128

Not sure how active the site is these days.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2016, 04:05:45 PM »
Thanks again, I did read the whole thread at MTS, and I do agree with the people who are angry that stuff they paid for is undownloadable, etc. - and that is unacceptable!  I'll probably do as you suggest and check out the Booty, but from what I can gather, a lot of Simslice stuff can cause problems with your game (which was not true of their Sims 1 stuff), so I shall only do it when I am in the mood to make a test hood!

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • We'll jump off that bridge when we come to it.
    • Leefish
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2016, 10:57:56 PM »
I could promise that I'm going to look into this, ZZ. But I also need to be honest now.

Over the past two years I've made a number of promises to look into things, try to write or update mods, etc. And I have yet to deliver on any of them. Heck, I haven't even gotten started on most of them yet, and I must admit that I don't see that changing anytime soon, either.

Perhaps it is time for me to withdraw as an active modder. My time has passed. I've done what I was capable of. It's done. I'm sorry.

(and the word "I" comes up way too often in this post…)

"BO, Sir, you rock! :bow:" - TheISZ                           (banner design: eefje00704/Eva)

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2016, 02:44:39 AM »
That's OK, BO.  You've done so much to improve our games over the years, there's no need to apologize because you don't want to do any more.  I should have made the effort when I was a few years younger and learned how to mod the game myself.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2016, 03:32:53 AM »
Yeah, I've done a few interesting things over the years. And it was fun, too. I still hope to finish some projects - such as a final update on NSL and a special addition to Alien Experiments -  but even that is on hold for a bit, because last week my system went seppuku on me.

Anyway, ZZ, thank you for understanding and also thank you for causing me to pick up modding in the first place.

"BO, Sir, you rock! :bow:" - TheISZ                           (banner design: eefje00704/Eva)

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2016, 04:00:48 AM »
Your system failed again!  I'm so sorry, BO.  Did the chips for the SSD wear out?

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2016, 09:21:27 AM »
Nope, that's all still fine, I suppose. But with a nasty, loud POOF my CPU told me to do it all myself. 😞😠

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2016, 09:41:41 AM »
Oops!  That's why I love this HP that I got last year, no matter how hard I work it, it never, ever gets hot, and that's what causes so much trouble with CPUs and graphics cards!

Offline AncientHighway

• Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2016, 10:34:27 AM »
Perhaps it is time for me to withdraw as an active modder.

Welcome to the ranks of the has-been wannabes.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2016, 06:12:39 AM »
Hi gang,

Since this was the last place where the condition of my bit-bucket was discussed, I'll use this thread to update all of you who might care about it.
I must have a guardian angel looking out for me.

Whereas I suspected that the CPU had blown up, it turned out to merely be the PSU that gave out on me. This set me back €150.-, but I can live with that. A new CPU and possibly a new mobo would have been much more expensive.
And that is not the only fortunate thing about it. If the PSU had not expired when it did, a few minutes later the CPU might still have passed away. Because the thermal paste between it and its fan was completely dried out! The new paste was included for free :)

So now we're back in business! YAY!!! :yay: :prancing: :yay:

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2016, 07:32:40 AM »
Fabulous news! :thumb:

Offline LilSister

• Toddling Tot
    • LilSister's Sims Family Affair
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2016, 03:49:54 PM »
Wonderful news indeed! :thumb:

Offline miros1

• Face Collector
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Face Collector
    • The Wooden Simolean
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2016, 08:04:43 AM »
Glad to hear that your puter is recovering nicely! 

Back to the original topic:

What about a test that the student must fail to get into a school? Kind of like a non-residential military school? Or maybe that should just be a phone call... "My kid is so dumb, he needs military school!"

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2016, 09:50:52 AM »
Shades of Sims 1, miros!  But will the Sims 2 version kids return home?

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2016, 10:59:27 AM »
If a kid is dumb enough for his parents to admit to his stupidity and send him off to Military School, *should* he return home? Maybe they'd rather he didn't :)

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2016, 12:07:08 PM »
I suppose it depends on whether he learns anything at military school....

Offline miros1

• Face Collector
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Face Collector
    • The Wooden Simolean
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2016, 07:38:06 PM »
Shades of Sims 1, miros!  But will the Sims 2 version kids return home?

Sure, I was thinking of "military school" as a sort of an alternate private school for underachievers and delinquents, with even uglier uniforms and double homework!  Imagine a Legacy house where the grandkids find Grandpa's old school uniform in the back of the wardrobe along with Grandma's old fast food work uniform. 

Maybe Inge's boarding school, where the kids get on the bus Monday morning and return Friday afternoon, could be used. The ugly uniforms are a must tho!

BO, sometimes kids simply need their parents to wake up and realize whatever school they're currently attending is not doing the job and check into alternatives.  In the US, we have organizations called "Huntington Learning Centers" and "Sylvan Learning Centers" which provide afterschool tutoring and preparation for standardized college entrance tests. Although high priced, I've heard of miraculous results.  On the cheap end, there are non-profit organizations which do the same thing for families who can't afford the "Learning Centers." 

I wonder if this could be implemented as a teen career, with the limitation that the kid has to be in academic trouble or behind on homework to get the "job", or the kid learns some extra skill points quickly to get an extra scholarship? 

I've also had a couple of Sim kids who simply didn't get enough attention from either their parents or their player (me) and bloomed under the Miros' version of foster care by being moved to a different family.  Not quite adoption, since they kept their last name and family ties, just some time out to get their lives in order. 

I'm thinking Dustin Broke, who exhausted himself, lost the teen job that was helping support his pregger mother who slept all the time, almost flunked high school, and aged up into adulthood poorly, because he was attempting to raise his younger brother at the same time.  Too bad I hadn't invented Miros Foster Care when I was playing the Brokes!

That sounds like a phone plug in, or maybe a Social Worker who actually does something to help the kids instead of using them to populate the adoption pool!

Well, I think I need to "pin" this post for future reference!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 07:52:45 PM by miros1 »

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2016, 09:47:17 PM »
Now you mention Inge's Boarding School... That should be harsh enough. Any tougher than that should be considered inhumane cruelty. Did you know that playful Sims in boarding school end up in Fun distress by the end of Monday, and have to live with that for the rest of the week? By the time they get home on Friday, most of their motives have tanked, and they're in the foulest of moods. And to top it off, they have not gained any points at all in the week.

I had a pair of brothers once, both of whom deserved a good lesson. They were real shit-heads! So I sent them to boarding school on Monday. When they came home on Friday, I almost felt sorry for them pieces of shit. Over the weekend, I had a hard time getting their motives to look halfway decent, and then it was Monday morning, and they went off again. I'm not going to do that again soon...

Offline miros1

• Face Collector
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Face Collector
    • The Wooden Simolean
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2016, 11:41:13 AM »
I should have known Inge and I were sisters-under-the-skin regarding underachievers.

Offline MaryH

• Tempermental Tyke
  • Otherwise known as Mary of H.
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2016, 02:12:13 AM »
I've always had an issue with the 'Monday-Friday' school thing tanking the kids motives, which is why I don't use the hack anymore. It's hard enough playing them with regular motives, but when you have to struggle to keep them up for two days, it's a waste of energy.

Now, if there were a hack to cure that.....

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2016, 02:38:29 AM »
Yeah, if only. I don't know of anything like that, though. Me? I normally merely use the option that allows them to skip school entirely - but ONLY for kids who have already maxed out their school performance, *and* occasionally roll a want or two about gaining skills other than Charisma.

anything
anything