Author Topic: It has arrived! The G-rated Religion mod  (Read 6970 times)

Offline MaryH

• Tempermental Tyke
  • Otherwise known as Mary of H.
It has arrived! The G-rated Religion mod
« on: April 30, 2016, 10:30:16 AM »
Ever since Chris Hatch released his "Religion Mod" at BAS, there have been a few requests there and other places for a milder version of it, without all the sex and other stuff that goes with his suite of work.

Almighty Hat has made it:

G-Rated Religion (by Chris Hatch, Larky, & eventually Hat)

:yay: :yay:

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Superannuated Coffeeholic
    • Zephyr Zodiac @ 4-Shared
Re: It has arrived! The G-rated Religion mod
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 04:35:05 PM »
Doesn't religion cause enough trouble in the real world?
"All the world's a Neighbourhood, and all the men and women merely Sims."  ZephyrZodiac with apologies to Willie Waggledagger.

http://www.4shared.com/u/yCrnLoEP/Zephyr_Zodiac.html

Offline MaryH

• Tempermental Tyke
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 02:58:32 AM »
Yes, it does-but in the game, it doesn't lead to wars, or death.

In fact, that's the only place where it should be allowed-an imaginary pixelated world.

Otherwise it's a useless, outmoded concept of human conditioning and behavior.

As you can guess, I do not have a very high opinion of any religion, except this kind.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 03:00:02 AM »
But if you're the goddess, that means you could have a rival!  *shock horror*
"All the world's a Neighbourhood, and all the men and women merely Sims."  ZephyrZodiac with apologies to Willie Waggledagger.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • We'll jump off that bridge when we come to it.
    • Leefish
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 03:42:39 AM »
... it's a useless, outmoded concept of human conditioning and behavior.

:thumb: And on top of that, it's mostly refuted by modern science. There is still the matter of what may have caused the Big Bang, though. If the concentration of matter/energy was so volatile that it led to such an explosion, how did so much of it get compressed to such density in the first place? What power was behind that? A conscience/consciousness of some kind?

As you can guess, I do not have a very high opinion of any religion...

You and me both!

"BO, Sir, you rock! :bow:" - TheISZ                           (banner design: eefje00704/Eva)

Offline Snufflepaws

• Highchair Hipster
  • Has not found this setting yet :)
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 04:33:03 PM »
Guys, with all due respect, aren't those rather thoughtless comments to make? Religion (which includes Atheism lets remember) and life itself is so infinitely complex. I see many a flaw in Atheism, but if a mod were to appear relating to it I wouldn't post merely to show I'm uninterested, I'd just know it's not for me.

I'm not a regular on this site, so maybe this is normal talk among you guys. I just find it saddening is all. I thought as a general rule in TS2 community we were all mutual and united for the purpose of the game; the light hearted game we all know and love due, partly, to it's diversity. I find many TS2 mods, such as Chris Hatchs, tasteless and wrong, but I won't push the reasoning of my thoughts on anyone. Not everyone does that. Can't that understanding go both ways?

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2016, 06:42:18 PM »
Those are not thoughtless comments at all. I've thought about the issue for about 50 years!

Nobody has ever produced any irrefutable proof that God exists. But neither has anyone ever irrefutably proofed the opposite either. So whatever we say could be wrong, regardless which side we choose.
But it seems illogical to believe in a God who supposedly loves all His children, yet allows so many of them to suffer as badly as they do. It's inconsistent!

However, that is not what this was about: religion is not the same thing as God. Religion is a MAN-made institution that CLAIMS to operate in the name of whatever God they revere. And a majority of those institutions happily murder millions in His name in so-called crusades and holy wars. Even if I *do* believe in a God, I can NOT in good conscience support such religions.

Also, I do not consider myself an atheist. I can't say that God doesn't exist, because I do not know. I don't have all the facts. Or if I do, I may not understand them. Nor may anyone... We are too insignificant in relation to the vast unfathomable universe we live in to dare say that our opinion matters.

With all due respect!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 07:42:47 PM by BoilingOil »

"BO, Sir, you rock! :bow:" - TheISZ                           (banner design: eefje00704/Eva)

Offline MaryH

• Tempermental Tyke
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2016, 08:08:03 PM »
I, too, have been thinking about  the whole issue of religion and God-and I'm a non-believer.

Most religions have a power trip going-they keep their followers in check by terrorizing them with the idea that there is one entity that rules the world and that we have to live our lives in bleak submission to it or else face that entity's wrath.

No, I'm not going to go into my entire 'belief' system but on the whole, it would be better if we started believing in ourselves and not some faceless, remote and imaginary being  that we will never see for salvation or a better life.

Faith on the other hand is a human quality and if we didn't have it, getting out of bed to face a life that requires it just to accomplish anything useful every day would be impossible.

It has no need of religion to exist.

Furthermore, I do believe the only appropriate place to talk about such serious matters is not here. Wars have been fought over such things, and we certainly don't want to taint this forum with such a divisive and destructive topic.

Because in the end, it's not about the game we all love and play.

Offline Snufflepaws

• Highchair Hipster
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2016, 10:18:19 PM »
Exactly as you said BO, we are but ants who in reality know extremely little. Both sides do very bad things, there's no question. If that's acknowledged one would not think that suddenly the world would be better if one side didn't exist. I have to stand by my initial thought that such thinking is extremely thoughtless and ignorant. Ok, let's say religion were wiped from existence, excluding Atheism, and along with it, the morals we have inside us. Those left would think no better than animals, so murder, cannibalism, wars would all just be part of the cycle of life. There would still be bloodshed, still be control freaks. If you are wanting to debate the moral part and claim that has stemmed from evolution making us better, that right there is your belief, most probably in other human beings telling you so via voice, textbook, whatever, because evolution is in reality a theory and a very poorly backed one at that. And what have humans been shown to do throughout history? Lie, manipulate, control, deceive. That's what our history shows, yet we belief blindly in what representatives of science tell us. How many of us have actually gone out to scientifically test the age of the earth, the so-called evidences of evolution, etc? What it comes down to is one believes in it's fellow man, despite it's poor track record, and the other thinks there may be someone higher up there who has all the puzzle pieces. Both have flaws, both have questions.

My main ask here is that you don't so loosely group so many people into a group called "religion" and blanket criticize for what not all people have done or thought. There have been the famous cases of mass murders by Atheists, and the faked evidences of evolution by scientists. Would you like me to judge you or non-believers as a whole based on those peoples actions?

Furthermore, I do believe the only appropriate place to talk about such serious matters is not here. Wars have been fought over such things, and we certainly don't want to taint this forum with such a divisive and destructive topic.

Because in the end, it's not about the game we all love and play.

It could have remained about the game we all love, had certain things not been said or in a more polite way.  That's the part I find saddening. Most posts here so far have been said with such a 'matter of fact' mentality, yet you also acknowledge we don't know everything. I like the sound of this mod, and may add it to my game. I may not though due to the touch wood nature of my game that BO will be familiar with (lol). If I use it it'll be to add Jesus Christ to the lives of my sims, but I'm not gonna go posting and saying you should do so too and for the reasons I believe in. So why has the opposite happened? Why did the real world part that this mod is based on have to be brought up at all? We all know such subjects easily result in feuds and bad blood.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 10:28:59 PM by Snufflepaws »

Offline arathea

• Tempermental Tyke
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2016, 11:32:01 PM »
*unhides*

For me there's a difference between belief and (institutional) religion. What you believe is between you and whatever you believe in. As soon as it comes to groups it's about "we" and "they" and power, that's where the trouble starts.

And in Sims, they don't care about how other sims look, if that's get carried on when it comes to religion, it's all fine.

*hides*
Arathea's Area@TFM's Naughty Sims Asylum

Offline Snufflepaws

• Highchair Hipster
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2016, 11:56:11 PM »
Yes, of course. What I refer to is personal belief which I prefer not to label as a certain sub category, but to most it is simply thought of as religion. I don't really like the word. The institutional kind does give itself a bad name in many cases. I understand people's thinking behind that. But there are plenty of secular institutes such as those involved in science that do the very same things that religious ones are bashed for. Many will straight away laugh at this because, for some reason, blindingly trusting scientific authorities like you would a God should be a given. Look up David Berlinski. Like he says, what if the men giving us the false science are doing so for financial gain and/or fear of ridicule or even losing their jobs? That sounds very plausible to me. It's happened plenty of times already not to mention it's appallingly obvious how timid people are of speaking out against anything these days. It's human nature to follow the herd and not want to be the outcast. Some peoples desire for truth goes deeper than that fear however. I think such people should be praised because it's certainly not easy with peoples 'rip em to shreds for thinking differently' mentality we see so often today.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 12:05:25 AM by Snufflepaws »

Offline arathea

• Tempermental Tyke
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2016, 12:05:30 AM »
It doesn't matter what kind of group it is. If you want to advance as a group, you need a leader and that's the problem. The ones that naturally take the lead are usually the ones who won't let it go without a fight, even that it means to create reasons to keep the lead.
Arathea's Area@TFM's Naughty Sims Asylum

Offline Snufflepaws

• Highchair Hipster
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2016, 12:12:26 AM »
Right, it doesn't matter. Religious or secular, they're as bad as each other. But there'll always be the people who are open minded, kind and just wanting the truth, and those people exist on both sides, so lets not blanket scold when it goes so much deeper.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2016, 07:05:49 AM »
I *was* going to let this go, because yes.. I agree, this thread is becoming a bit heavy for a Sims site. However...

*unhides*

For me there's a difference between belief and (institutional) religion. What you believe is between you and whatever you believe in. As soon as it comes to groups it's about "we" and "they" and power, that's where the trouble starts.

And in Sims, they don't care about how other sims look, if that's get carried on when it comes to religion, it's all fine.

*hides*

See, now THAT is what I mean. We can all believe what we want to believe. And if that includes a God... Fine! But an organised institution such as religion is an entirely other matter!

Ok, let's say religion were wiped from existence, excluding Atheism, and along with it, the morals we have inside us.

You proceed from a false assumption, because I would never suggest that! Besides the fact that I'm not an Atheist, but an Agnostic (someone who claims he doesn't know if God exists) Atheism is not a religion. Atheism is the refusal to believe in a God - or even the certainty that God is merely a concept... a thing that exists only in our fantasies. But even if Religions were abolished - which I would never suggest that we do - that doesn't mean that we abandon morals. Morals are not a trait unique to religious people. There are millions upon millions of people on this planet, who do not believe in any form of higher power, yet are civilised, social human beings with high moral standards.
Abolishing Religion would merely mean that we leave behind the world-wide organisations that follow one old dude in Rome, who says that all those poor, starved, sick people in Africa cannot use profilactics, because Gods wants them to have a baby every time they have sex! Because how is THAT going to make things better for all of us. Or even for ANY of us? Or only one of us? The Pope isn't starving or sick! He is merely old and mostly useless. He couldn't hunt and gather if his life depended on it. Yet he is powerful enough to lead millions to their deaths, because most *Christian* churches still follow his lead. THAT is WRONG!!!

What I'm saying, is that everyone should be free to make their OWN choices in life, and I have made my own: to suspend my decision until I know enough! The actual real truth is that no religious person, not even the Pope, really knows more about God and His true intentions than I do. We are all in the dark, and it's time we learn to recognize that fact.

Religions were essentially formed when we were savages at the dawn of mankind: we had no idea why the sun rose and set, why we had rain, wind, cold, heat, thunder, lightning, the works... We needed something to help us determine where to go and what to do, because at that time operating as a group with a unified purpose served our survival. And sun, moon and weather directly affected us and our chances to live another day. But we couldn't trust just anyone, so we needed someone who claimed to speak for a higher being. Someone who - more often than not - usually got things right, and sent us in the right direction to help the group survive.

But we are not those savages anymore. We have science: we *know* why the sun rises and sets. It doesn't - it merely *seems* to do so, because our world turns on its axis! We know why the moon rises and sets, too: because that one turns around US! We know why all weather phenomena exist. And we know that we will not fall off the edge of the world, because there *is* no edge. We do not need *other* people to tell us what God wants us to do, because those other people don't know any better than we do!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 07:18:56 AM by BoilingOil »

Offline Snufflepaws

• Highchair Hipster
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2016, 09:22:21 AM »
This has become rather funny because I think we're on the same basic wavelength but just misunderstanding each other. BO, I know you didn't personally say anything should be abolished, somebody else did. I was quoting you but talking to multiple people. Sorry for the confusion there.

We have indeed learned a lot, but relatively speaking. You know how complex a single cell is, let alone the entire human body or any form of life. Experience tells us intelligence comes from intelligence, and that a lack of intelligent input makes chaos or randomness. Yet the life and complexity we see around us is supposedly sheer dumb luck according to many. If one believes in no God or higher form, what is the only other alternative to our being here? Coming from non intelligence or just nothing. And yet, the former is for some reason seen as the wiser belief. Why is that?

As I say, relatively speaking, there is so much more that we don't know than what we do know. How do chicks when developing in the egg know to peck that little air pocket on precisely the third day otherwise they'll die (how did they survive before supposedly evolving the little tooth on their beak that allows them to do so?) How do woodpeckers and giraffes exist today if we came about gradually, when they have co dependant body parts and functions required to be there all at once to be alive? They still don't know how some bugs create cold light with so little energy wastage. We still can't replicate that, but we try to learn from what we have around us i.e. very complex lifeforms. That's what starts many people's journeys into what becomes their belief in a God. Very valid, plausible reasons. It isn't merely a case of "I'm just going to believe in my fantastical diety and live a life of ridicule for the hell of it".

I think I'll make this my last post. Let's face it, these sorts of debates don't usually get anywhere. But for the record, everything said has been meant in a friendly and respectful manner. The text may seem otherwise, but no ill feelings were actually intended toward anyone. I originally was just hoping the bashing could be left at the door, or just said in a nicer manner is all.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2016, 10:17:16 AM »
Yes, maybe we ARE on the same page, mostly. As for where we come from... I am prepared to believe that it is all just a case of random chaos and co´ncidence. If we accept that this universe of ours - which is currently roughly 13.8 billion years old - started with the Big Bang, a marble-sized ball of extremely dense matter-energy that expanded in mere nano-seconds, as science tells us, then it's hard to imagine that anything after that was planned by anyone. And if nothing was planned, there might be no God at all. But who knows? Not me.

Indeed, as you way, we know nothing of the real reason for our existence. But for the moment, I am happy to accept the possibility that He is just a figment of our collective imagination, and that we are just a product of random chance. And ultimately also, that whatever we make of ourselves and of the future of the human race, is purely up to us but has no special meaning to anyone but ourselves! And finally, that just like I was nothing at all before I was concieved, I will be nothing at all, once I'm deceased.

In fact, I take comfort from the fact that after I die, I will not have to spend an eternity in some heaven or hell, suffering the consequences of whatever I might have done wrong here, while I was totally in the dark about the purpose of my existence and the real rules of engagement. Not having to worry about what happens after my death, makes that I can bear living in the here and now, trying to make the most of it for myself and for those around me. Because in a new existence after death - if such is possible -, we might find out that there is something more even beyond that, and more after that yet again. Where would it end? No! Everything has a clearly defined beginning, and so everything must have a clearly defined end as well. At least for me!

However, I can accept that not everybody is happy with those ideas. We do not all have the same personality, the same mental and/or physical powers, the same hopes and dreams. And therefor, we can not all be expected to live with the same set of beliefs. What *I* believe, makes *me* happy.

Offline Snufflepaws

• Highchair Hipster
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2016, 08:10:03 PM »
And that's totally cool. I'm not trying to push my beliefs on anyone. Some folks, both religious and secular, do so, and many go too far in their methods, but not all of us, so collective opinions should be re thought. Can you agree that some of the questions in my last post above are very plausible reasons to wonder if we are more than just a product of sheer dumb luck? And there are many more questions after those too. The age of the earth simply can't be accurately told beyond a few thousand years. They like to tell us that, along with dinosaur bones being millions of years old, but hear me out. They use dating methods which have been shown time and again to only be accurate up to (I think it is) 16,000 years (I think that is carbon dating but might be wrong).  They still show faulty, disproven evidence for evolution in many textbooks shown to the new generations. Once you discover that our supposed authorities are indeed capable of being deceitful, it makes you wonder further, and that should not deserve ridicule. Science by definition is meant to be open to anything, and we are meant to work with the evidence whether we like the results or not.

Sure, religion has a bundle of questions of it's own too, no question, but to think non-belief in anything is somehow the smarter option is just silly. Again I'm not talking to anyone in particular there. My point is, both deserve equal respect. Anyone that thinks all deity believing people are just fantastical folks with their heads in the clouds should really have another think, if they really consider themselves open minded. Here's some names of well educated folk that question the given science we're told is fact; David Berlinski (a man with qualifications up to his eyeballs), William Lane Craig (he talks more on the philosophical side), Jobe Martin (look him up if you're wondering about the questions regarding giraffes and woodpeckers), Michael Brown, Kirk Durston, John Lennox, Phillip E. Johnson, Greg Koukl, Ian Juby. Again I'm not trying to shove anything in anyone's face, I'm just putting it there for anyone who's curious. Feel free to give me names in return, though please understand I do not scold Atheists for their questions anyway. BO I'm sure you have many questions about the God I have in my life and I'm sure they're very reasonable. I don't think you ever said anything disrespectful in the first place, and thank you for that. I wish others here were the same from the very start, you know?

On a side note, I just grabbed your toddler (no follow) mod, and I must say it's made my farmer parents' lives much easier. No more losing the sprog to the cornfields! Thanks a bunch for sharing that. :)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 08:15:12 PM by Snufflepaws »

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2016, 09:30:22 PM »
There are always questions. And with us knowing so little, most questions deserve to be asked. I respect anyone's right to believe, doubt or question whatever they want. Nothing in that respect is silly or dumb, since none of us know the absolute truth.

One thing I *do* want to say, though. When we're speaking of dinosaurs and carbon dating, one must realise that any inaccuracy of only a few thousand years is insignificant when we're talking about species that died 65 million years ago. So it's 65 million plus or minus a few thousand. Still quite accurate, if you ask me.

In the end, it doesn't matter, though. The sun rises every morning and sets every evening, and all living things must eventually die. In a few billion years, the sun will swallow the earth, but the universe will still be there.

I don't think that evolution is sheer dumb luck. What drives it, is survival instinct. But where THAT comes from? A chick doesn't know when, where or how to break its shell, unless by instinct. I think it mainly just hacks away at its prison, desperate to escape certain death... But again... What do I know?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 09:35:28 PM by BoilingOil »

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2016, 02:40:53 AM »
Sorry for the double post, but there is one more thing I felt I needed to say about science. Science may not always be very accurate yet. But one must realise something about the time scales...

As far as we know, the universe is roughly 13.8 billion years old.
Our solar system would be roughly 5 bln yrs old, and our own planet slightly less - maybe 4.5 bln.
Life in general on our planet is maybe 500 million yrs old.
Humanoid intelligence is less than 200 thousand yrs old.
Even 500 yrs ago, the majority still believed that the earth was flat. Saying that it was round, or that it was not the center of the universe, was bad for your health because the inquisition - an institute created by the leaders of the Church - would burn you on the stake for your heresy!
Not even 200 yrs ago, we learned to use steampower.
Our current information age is not even a century old yet. We didn't know a lot about carbon dating 50 years ago.

Making mistakes is human. Even someone as smart as Albert Einstein admitted to erring on occasion. And there are still people who believe that the landing on the moon in 1969 was all an elaborate hoax, that it has never really happened, and that it's pure propaganda!

In a Universe that has taken almost 14 billion years to take its current shape, where Evolution took some 500 million years to create humans, and where superstitions are still very much alive, it's not fair to expect that we already know everything, or that our methods give perfect precision. We are only human, fallible and very new to this. In a few decades, or maybe even just years, we will have improved our methods and the precision of our instruments. We will do much better then. So far, we have done some amazing things in what little time we have had.

And yes, not all religious intervention has been harmful. Far from it, even. The belief in something greater than ourselves has in many cases helped us work miracles. And we're still learning!

Offline MaryH

• Tempermental Tyke
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2016, 03:37:04 PM »
"In a few decades, or maybe even just years, we will have improved our methods and the precision of our instruments. We will do much better then."

We better have-because at the rate the planet is being destroyed, we'll have to figure out a lot more about science to save ourselves and the planet.

No amount of prayer (unheard or heard) is capable of recovering this planet from all the destruction mankind has heaped on it.

Science just might...if we allow the scientists to do their work instead of telling them that their 'data is faulty' because an imaginary being makes them believe that climate change is but a hoax.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2016, 08:57:59 PM »
I believe there are some scientists who still hold to the theory that climate change is linked mainly to sunspot activity.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2016, 09:01:02 PM »
Those "scientists" might be connected to NGC or Scientology :)

Sorry, that was un-called for. I just couldn't help myself.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2016, 11:26:26 PM »
Not all, some were at a respected Swiss observatory, if I remember rightly.

Offline MaryH

• Tempermental Tyke
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2016, 04:28:40 AM »
One can believe anything one personally likes.

However, science proves facts, not beliefs.

It is a fact that we're destroying this earth-melting ice shelves will lead to ocean rise. That's happening right now.

It is a fact that unless we take meaningful steps to stop the destruction of this planet, we will not have much of one in another hundred years.

And believing otherwise is not going to make go that away.

There is no special being in the sky who's going to stop this-because we created the problem, and it's our problem to solve.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2016, 04:59:03 AM »
It's only the last sentence that I have a problem with: I can't be sure that there is no special being. Nor do I know where they should reside.

I *do*, however, agree with everything else. If there is a problem, it's our problem to solve. And to me, it does indeed seem that we are causing the problem. I agree that whoever believes otherwise, is ignoring the facts.

Offline LilSister

• Toddling Tot
    • LilSister's Sims Family Affair
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2016, 07:46:14 AM »
I came back hoping we'd be discussing the religion mod  :zip: **takes off running again**

Offline MaryH

• Tempermental Tyke
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2016, 03:06:49 PM »
Ok, for those who are interested in the religion mod (from which we digressed badly), it works as advertised-but you are cautioned that you need both parts of it for the mod to work fully as intended.

Hat also made a suite of mods to go along with it that will work with the various other things that gamers have in the game, such as Inteen, and other hacks.

I've been running it for the past few days, and it's nice-I  made the Sister, and the 2 gods (Jumbok and Buddha) who are now grown-up townies. Citizens can call them for advice or to chat any time (I gave them all cellphones), so their religious zeal and enthusiasm will stay high. The religions also have their own separate worship sites so that believers can gather for socializing with the Sister (who's a totally veiled nun, not even remotely sexy).

Talking to others of the same religion will boost their religious belief. Nothing bad has happened, except that in my game it keeps resetting the Lot Sync Timer and that's the only annoyance I've had so far. Violence seems to be down dramatically, though-guess the gods don't want the pixels to fight so much, and that's nice.

It doesn't really have much else to discuss-CH's mod was far more intensive, and taking the sex out of it really made it more palatable than his. I've never heard of a sexy nun, and I really didn't like the way his sexism ran through it. Not my piece of cake.

Of course I'd made a neighborhood in advance of this mod (knowing that Hat was working on it) and thus had a lot of it already planned out.

Offline LilSister

• Toddling Tot
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2016, 07:55:22 PM »
How did you grow up Jumbok and Buddah? Are they playable in your game? Do you allow them to show up on community lots or have you opted to give them the prison token? Surprisingly in my neighborhood within the last year there have only been 4 fights and 2 of them were sibling fighting each other. Just wondering if it's really worth trying as it entails adding NPC's to the game. I'm also wondering what type of NPC's they are. Are they like service Sims or they the untouchables like Crumplebottom Grimy and remote control NPC's? I remember reading that it's not a good idea to allow them to die which means having the NPC Aging Mod in game wouldn't be a good idea unless you set their age to something like 1000+ to be on the safe side. Also wondering if once you add them to your downloads folder do you have to set up religion in every neighborhood that you play. Lot's of questions :cheese:

Offline MaryH

• Tempermental Tyke
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2016, 10:13:03 PM »
How did you grow up Jumbok and Buddah? Are they playable in your game? Do you allow them to show up on community lots or have you opted to give them the prison token? Surprisingly in my neighborhood within the last year there have only been 4 fights and 2 of them were sibling fighting each other. Just wondering if it's really worth trying as it entails adding NPC's to the game. I'm also wondering what type of NPC's they are. Are they like service Sims or they the untouchables like Crumplebottom Grimy and remote control NPC's? I remember reading that it's not a good idea to allow them to die which means having the NPC Aging Mod in game wouldn't be a good idea unless you set their age to something like 1000+ to be on the safe side. Also wondering if once you add them to your downloads folder do you have to set up religion in every neighborhood that you play. Lot's of questions :cheese:

I teleported Jumbok and Buddha into a neighborhood lot, and used the Simblender to age them to adult. I turned off aging on them (BO's aging mod), and I allow them to go on community lots to interact with their loyal (and sometimes faithful subjects).

I was considering giving them both a 'temple' to live in, with the prisoner tokens, but they're not an annoyance yet. The sister is also free roaming, so she can talk to the pixels as well to boost their faith. So far they're just townies, free to roam about in community lots, but I've banned them from house lots..(you don't want your local god dropping in while you're in a compromising situation...).

As for setting up the religions, yes-you do have to add it to every neighborhood-but you cannot remove the sister, because she's an NPC, and you know the rules for those.

Offline LilSister

• Toddling Tot
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2016, 04:04:29 AM »
Thank you Mary I appreciate you sharing your experience. The fact that I'd have to set up religion in each neighborhood is pretty much a deal breaker for me right now. I guess I'll be in "let's wait and see" mode for a while.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2016, 05:40:45 AM »
What I wonder is, will sims autonomously choose which "God" to worship? Also, will there be rivalry/hostility between the two religious sects, or can such be set up, if the player would want that?

The "Sister", is there only one of her? Why, if there are two Gods? Shouldn't they each have a nun to speak for them?

Offline MaryH

• Tempermental Tyke
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2016, 01:39:48 PM »
The "Sister", is there only one of her? Why, if there are two Gods? Shouldn't they each have a nun to speak for them?

Actually, you do bring up the very valid weakness of this mod-(and of the other one, actually). You cannot  have more than 1 Sister (that I know of so far) in the neighborhood, and she has to represent whatever religions you choose for her to represent-all of them.

You do have to assign her to whatever religion you want her to use at the time, because it is not autonomous, and even the pixels have no autonomy in picking which gods to follow.

It's up to the player themselves as to how many religions there are, and how many gods-but there's only 1 sister for all of them.

It would be nice to be able to have autonomy, I'm sure-but in my game, I use aspirations as the criteria for a certain religion:
 In my game, Jumbo represents fun, love, woohoo, and partying. Buddha represents stability, wisdom (knowledge), family, fortune and hard work.

So in my neighborhood, the Romance, Pleasure, Grilled Cheese, and Popularity pixels follow Jumbok, the Fortune, Family and Knowledge pixels follow Buddha because that religion values all of those aspirations.

I did not recreate much of any religion, just made up what I thought would be appropriate for the type of neighborhood this is: a tropical one, where these kinds of religion would be appropriate. After all, they're not in Europe! :)

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2016, 07:14:50 PM »
Sorry, you've lost me!  Why Europe?

Offline MaryH

• Tempermental Tyke
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2016, 08:37:22 PM »
Most tropical islands (in the real world) had a different religion than Europe for many centuries...Catholic, Protestant, Muslim and Judaism were the main religions in Europe. Buddhism started on the Indian Continent, and Jumbo is a entirely fictitious religion, made up by me.

Of course one can have the Flying Spaghetti Monster as a religion too-equally as valid in this day and age-just like Scientology..

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2016, 09:36:53 PM »
Catholic and Protestant are branches of one religion.  The main religions in Europe depend on which century we are talking about.  Islam started in Saudi Arabia, which is not Europe.  Judaism started in Israel ( or wherever, but again not Europe.)  In Roman times, one of the main religions in Europe was Mithraism, then we have Druidism, Norse Gods, and many, many more.  In the Middle Ages, the main religion in Europe was Christianity, and either the Roman Catholic or the Greek Orthodox branch, followed later by Lutherism, Protestantism, etc. etc. etc. 

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2016, 12:12:08 AM »
And in the meantime for the longest time - until we started to put our noses in it - the native Americans had a whole pantheon of Spirits and Ancestors, and ofcourse the Great Spirit or the Great Manitou.

But anyway, it's clear: this mod isn't going to do for my Sims' Spiritual Health what ACR does for their Libido! And on top of that, it's somewhat limited. Because how should one nun represent two gods who might be diametrically opposed to each other? It's good to know that such a mod now exists, though. Applaud the people who've made it possible! :thumb:

Offline LilSister

• Toddling Tot
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2016, 07:24:37 AM »
BO well said!  :thumb:

anything
anything