Author Topic: Manual Sprinkler Mod Request  (Read 762 times)

Offline BourgeoisBanana

• Drooling Diaperfiller
  • Has not found this setting yet :)
Manual Sprinkler Mod Request
« on: April 21, 2016, 07:18:34 AM »
Hi guys, new user here but I've lurked for a while.

I've got a desert neighbourhood with a few manicured lawns that I'm sure would waste a metric ton of water. It'd be cool to have some sprinklers that just water the grass and nothing else, purely for decoration.

I guess rather than a new object it'd be a lot easier just to take the Seasons sprinklers for plants and add a "manual" option for them, rather than them being automatic and watering as and when they see fit. If there could also be a "turn on all sprinklers" and "turn off all sprinklers" option that'd be really great.

Thanks in advance!

Offline AncientHighway

• Whippy Whippersnapper
Re: Manual Sprinkler Mod Request
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 08:31:18 AM »
A couple of things to consider.
1. Grass doesn't require watering.
2. Sprinklers don't cost money to use.
3. Sprinklers probably won't work to water grass, but they will water flower beds when needed.
4. The NPC gardener will come every three days to care for flowers, bushes, trees, and even the veggie garden.

Two options available without modding:
  • Plant a flower garden or tomato plant, and place a 360 degree sprinkler to water the grass. At most once a day and possibly two or three days, the sprinkler will turn on.
  • Plant a flower garden, bush, tree, or tomato plant and hire a gardener. Every three days the gardener will come and you can assume lawn maintenance is included.

I can see a modded sprinkler with manual on and off toggles being used for a few sims days, and then forgotten about with everything else the sim needs to do. If you decide you really do need a modded sprinkler, it should be automated to turn on once or twice a week, run for a bit, then turn off again.

Offline BourgeoisBanana

• Drooling Diaperfiller
  • Has not found this setting yet :)
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 08:47:06 AM »
I understand that grass doesn't need watering and that sprinklers don't cost money. This request is for a sprinkler that would be purely decorative and something I'd enjoy having for the sake of realism, as grass lawns in desert towns often use ridiculous amounts of water.  This request has nothing to do with actual functional plants that require gardening; I understand it's a pretty weird request but I've definitely seen weirder!  :biglaugh:

An automated sprinkler that turns on once a day (regardless of whether any plants near it need watering) is a good suggestion and would probably be ideal.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 08:48:40 AM by BourgeoisBanana »

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Superannuated Coffeeholic
    • Zephyr Zodiac @ 4-Shared
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 12:03:51 PM »
Alternatively, I wonder if anyone made *real* grass based on flowerbeds?  Then you would have to water it to prevent it going brown and dying.

Psst...Pescado's Daily Gardener....
"All the world's a Neighbourhood, and all the men and women merely Sims."  ZephyrZodiac with apologies to Willie Waggledagger.

http://www.4shared.com/u/yCrnLoEP/Zephyr_Zodiac.html

Offline miros1

• Face Collector
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Face Collector
    • The Wooden Simolean
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2016, 06:31:13 PM »
I've seen "tall grass" and "grass terrain paint," but not regular lawn type grass that's a plant.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Superannuated Coffeeholic
    • Zephyr Zodiac @ 4-Shared
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2016, 07:21:03 PM »
Pity - but I'll bet it wouldn't be hard for a colourist to do.
"All the world's a Neighbourhood, and all the men and women merely Sims."  ZephyrZodiac with apologies to Willie Waggledagger.

http://www.4shared.com/u/yCrnLoEP/Zephyr_Zodiac.html

anything