Author Topic: Will uninstalling Origin remove my TS2 disk copy?  (Read 4492 times)

Offline Usul_Princess

• Toddling Tot
Will uninstalling Origin remove my TS2 disk copy?
« on: July 18, 2015, 08:04:27 AM »
I bought a new machine, I'm going to uninstall origin off my old desktop. I have both the ultimate collection and the disk copy on the old machine. Will Origin indiscriminately remove both TS2 copies, or just the ultimate collection?

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • We'll jump off that bridge when we come to it.
    • Leefish
Re: Will uninstalling Origin remove my TS2 disk copy?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2015, 08:28:16 AM »
It *should* leave both of them alone! But then, knowing Origin, one should always be prepared for the worst and backup both versions!

"BO, Sir, you rock! :bow:" - TheISZ                           (banner design: eefje00704/Eva)

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Superannuated Coffeeholic
    • Zephyr Zodiac @ 4-Shared
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2015, 08:42:09 AM »
It's never removed my copy of SimCity2000, just won't run it.  I have no real problem with Origin, except when it upgrades and forgets to run DosBox programs properly.
"All the world's a Neighbourhood, and all the men and women merely Sims."  ZephyrZodiac with apologies to Willie Waggledagger.

http://www.4shared.com/u/yCrnLoEP/Zephyr_Zodiac.html

Offline mark93

• Talkative Toddler
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2015, 10:16:57 AM »
You were suppose to uninstall the disk version of Sims 2 before you install UC for both use the same register entries to run Sims 2.

Once you unintall Origin you may or may not be able to run Sims 2 from the disk without a complete uninstall and cleaning up the register entries.

You would do better to uninstall UC and then uninstall any disk version of Sims 2 and clean up your register entries that are left over.

Then uninstall Origin.

Offline Usul_Princess

• Toddling Tot
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2015, 11:05:27 AM »
That's what I was afraid of. Installing disc copies are a major PITA, but I don't *need* either one on the old machine. (I have backups of both). I'm more worried Origin will invalidate my disk codes ( May not happen but you never know).

(Unnecessary quote removed by BoilingOil)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 11:29:33 AM by BoilingOil »

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2015, 02:11:34 PM »
I think that would depend on whether you (a) installed Origin before or after your discs.  Also on (b) whether you have Origin open when you play from your disc .exe.   If the answer to (a) is *after and (b) is *no*, then I can't see how Origin could affect anything.
"All the world's a Neighbourhood, and all the men and women merely Sims."  ZephyrZodiac with apologies to Willie Waggledagger.

Offline Usul_Princess

• Toddling Tot
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2015, 03:44:37 PM »
You're correct zz. I've had my disks on this desktop since 2011, and Origin is shut down. The file directory does separate the original TS2 from the Ultimate Collection. (Which I thought was cool. I can run both games separately). I would be annoyed if I uninstalled Origin and they both were gone, just not  : :pissed:, as I'm putting my current video card into the new machine.  I don't plan on re-installing the TS2 disks on my new machine, just Origin*, Ultimate Collection, and the TS3 disks.

*Origin runs the Ultimate collection like a dream, as opposed to the disks.

**Bet you thought that'd never come out of my mouth.  :P

Offline mark93

• Talkative Toddler
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2015, 04:25:40 PM »
I'm more worried Origin will invalidate my disk codes

EA will not and I will repeat this, will not invalidate any of the Sims 2 disk codes for installing on any number of computers you want to install them on.
I have the same BG installed on 7 computers with no problems.

As long as Windows Operation System can handle Sims 2 I will still be able to use any and all of my Sims 2 disk to install any number of times I want to as long as the disk will handle it.

I burn off a copy of all of my Sims 2 game and use the copy to install from when needed and I have all No CD/DVD mods for all but UNI EP.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 04:29:50 PM by mark93 »

Offline Zirconia Wolf

• Queen of the Cross-Post
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Reticulated MoonBat Queen
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2015, 04:47:24 PM »
@mark93: Installing from copies works fine for Sims 2? Awesome! I've been considering making copies of my disks to install from, but have never done that before & wasn't sure if there would be a problem. What *copying* program/method do you use?

@Usual_Princes: No, I never thought I'd hear you say that! Also, thanks for this thread. As a non-Origin person it's nice to hear from people you do use it so I can learn where it puts (& how it handles) files. Good to know that Origin & "disk" installs are considered two different things. (Which honestly kind of surprises me, given this is EA we're talking about!)
~ Long Live All Wild Canines! ~
~ Sims 1 & 2 Forever! Sims 3 or 4? Never!! ~
~ Queen Of The Great InTeen Moon-Bat Revolution ~

Offline Usul_Princess

• Toddling Tot
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2015, 05:23:22 PM »
ZW It definitely does with TS2 at least. It's awesome leaving my 5th gen over crowded Pleasantview town alone, in order to start down another path. (My play style usually included Kaylynn marrying with Don (Pregnant w/Daniel's lovechild), but still keeping Nina as his main squeeze. Cassandra with Kiernan Tricou, and Dina marrying that rich Nightlife hard-to-impress downtownie. (His name always changes with each install. I just renamed him "Spencer Thorne"). Elderly Mortimer + Elderly (Pleasantview) Bella 4EVA.

....Then one day, I just got sick of Kaylynn home wrecking my story line(s), and played the Ultimate Collection last week. Don/Cassandra make a very nice couple, and not once in 10 years did I marry them. He's still unfaithful with a few love children, but he seems crazy about Cassandra. I hated Darren Dreamer as the default rebound. Darleen's death was too contrived, and I never bought the idea of Cassandra marrying someone that poor. Being from old money and all.

~~~~~~

....now about TS3.
You will have to go Mark's route and uninstall each disk copy before uninstalling any TS3 game tied to Origin. I had a 2009 disk and 2 EPs on my laptop, and a 2013 Origin base game redeemed CD code. After uninstalling the Origin CD from the laptop, It took my disk copies and the launcher. Oh well. As long as you don't redeem TS3 disk codes on Origin, they'll be fine.

I'm super excited about this machine. Will be gushing about it more when it gets here. :)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 06:05:12 PM by Usul_Princess »

Offline mark93

• Talkative Toddler
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2015, 05:31:48 PM »
@Zirconia Wolf

I just use Windows 7 copy disk option on Windows 7 and on XP I use to use Nero.

You can install form a copy but you will have to have a no CD/DVD mod to make the game run or the org. disk must be in the drive to start the game with.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2015, 02:45:47 AM »
Yup, that's the trouble with all copiers: they make perfect runnable copies of the software itself, but even the best one could never copy the identification. You ALWAYS needs the original disk to play, or a no-CD/DVD executable.

My personal favorite has always been CloneCD/DVD UltraISO. But I've used others as well.

Edit to add: changed personal favorite. Not that CloneCD/DVD is bad, though; it's definitely the runner up! But UltraISO's name had escaped me.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 04:37:29 AM by BoilingOil »

"BO, Sir, you rock! :bow:" - TheISZ                           (banner design: eefje00704/Eva)

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2015, 03:47:19 AM »
So basically there's no point in copying one's discs as a back-up in case of accident as they'd be useless for reinstalling purposes?

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2015, 04:04:09 AM »
No, installation from a copy is just fine in virtually all cases! Running the game, though, requires an NoCD.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2015, 10:26:43 AM »
That is very odd, since you need recognition of the code on the back of the booklet to be able to install the game at all.  But, it would be worth spending a few hours copying those discs?

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2015, 11:43:59 AM »
Yeah, you *do* need a code, of course. But when the old CD dies, that doesn't invalidate the booklet!

Besides, when I copy any discs, I make sure to also copy the code somewhere where I can find it later. Like in a file named "registration codes.txt" on a thumb-drive :) No, they won't catch Bobo with his (virtual) pants down!!

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2015, 12:03:32 PM »
Just so long as, in case of fire, you have an emergency kit including discs and thumb drive chained to your wrist....

Offline Zirconia Wolf

• Queen of the Cross-Post
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Reticulated MoonBat Queen
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2015, 10:21:52 AM »
@mark93 & BO: Thanks for the copy info/advise. No-cd cracks are the only way I play anything these days (unless it's from Big Fish or GOG) so obviously that's not a problem. I really like the idea of a "install copy" to preserve the life span of my precious *real* disks, so I think I'll give it a try before I re-install stuff on the (pending) new computer.
~ Long Live All Wild Canines! ~
~ Sims 1 & 2 Forever! Sims 3 or 4? Never!! ~
~ Queen Of The Great InTeen Moon-Bat Revolution ~