Author Topic: An alteration to AH's npc aging mod?  (Read 2722 times)

Offline total_immortal

• Mushloving Mophead
An alteration to AH's npc aging mod?
« on: February 19, 2015, 05:50:39 AM »
AncientHighway, I was wondering if it is possible for a slight alteration to the npc aging mod to where it would age playable sims too.  I understand this was not intended, but I'd like it for my own game at least.  Not asking you to make the alteration (unless you wanted to make a seperate one with that option) but I was wondering how hard it would be for me to alter my own copy of your mod to fit my needs (age playables as well). Is it something that could be done easily on my end? Let me know, thanks!

My reason is that I usually like playing one family and would like to see other playable sims in the neighborhood, but not be immortal after they are moved in a lot :D

Offline AncientHighway

• Whippy Whippersnapper
Re: An alteration to AH's npc aging mod?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 11:06:13 AM »
Let me see if I got this right.  You prefer to play one household only.  So as those children age and move out, you want them to age as well.  If this is what you mean, then you need to make those adult children townies.

If you are creating playable sims so your sims have a "beautiful sim" to hook up with, those sims can be made townies too.

But if you are really wanting this alteration rather than making your don't-play-playable sims age, I have no problem with your attempting to do so.  I  think it's just changing the family check to include all sims (probably just by deleting the check).

Offline total_immortal

• Mushloving Mophead
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 02:54:00 PM »
Currently I make all elders townies so they'll eventually die off during normal play, such as when they visit my lot or community lot i'm currently playing on.  However, I want to be able to leave them in a playable lot such as a retirement home or just a family home, and have them age the same when they randomly show up on my lot or another community lot at 6pm, without having to move them out of the buildings or play that building and age them manually. 

Taking a look at the file, if I had to take a guess, the thing I'm supposed to be looking at is on the "sub - Handle aging sims" function, line 4: (prim 0x0002) Expression (Stack Object's family number >= Literal 0x7FDF).  Just taking a shot in the dark here, but does that mean that Sim families are grouped numerically somehow and families have a higher number than townies, downtownies, etc?

Or am I in the wrong sub-function? What would I change to allow playable sims not part of my current family to age too? Thanks in advance

Offline AncientHighway

• Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 03:30:31 PM »
That looks like the right place.  There's a BCON that defines all the family numbers with NPC groups, but I don't recall what it is off hand.

So just a summary of what my mod does now and what will happen with your alteration:

Now:
Playable sims only age if the household is active.  All NPCs age if they are on an active lot at 6pm.

Altered:
Playable sims age if the household is active.  All NPCs and playable sims will age if they are on an active lot at 6pm. (Possible problem: sim visits community lot and the CLP calls in a household member to visit also.  CLP called sim ages twice that day.  I'm not sure this scenario is possible or not though.)

What this will not do under any circumstance:
Age playable sims no matter what lot they are on, active or not.  I would have liked to aged all NPCs at 6pm every day, but the polling process would have basically stopped the game daily as it aged them.  Not to mention the spam "I'm glad that period of my life is over..." for every NPC.  Trying to add that feature in for playable sims would require the same polling process for all playable sims, again interrupting the flow of the game.  It can be done,  but is it worth the cost?

My recommendation stands.  My the playables you don't want to play townies.

Offline total_immortal

• Mushloving Mophead
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 03:58:07 PM »
I'd like to test it at the very least, and see what happens.  I've got a test hood that I can try it out on.  Even if there was a possibility of playable sims aging twice a day, I'd still be ok with that.  I like having families moved into the neighborhood so it doesn't seem empty, but want them to actually age when they randomly appear on the lot just as a normal townie would. 

Where would I find the proper family number? I can't seem to find much info on BCON's.  Many of the pages I've clicked on are long gone now unfortunately.  I'm very interested in trying this out, just not sure where to look for what numbers I need or what I need to change I guess.  Thanks!

Offline AncientHighway

• Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 04:09:10 PM »
Family IDs for playable families are most likely listed in one of the family grouping or even through sim browser connecting a sim to a family.

Offline total_immortal

• Mushloving Mophead
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 04:44:40 PM »
Haha holy crap... I got it to work! I looked in SimPE at the neighborhood and noticed most playable families are in the lower range , and npcs seem to be higher... so I zeroed out line 4 to >= 0x0000 and tested it out, the current sim in the lot aged, as did the npcs, a townie,  and another playable sim visitor.  As far as I know, it should behave normally.  I'd imagine young adults are prohibited from aging at all since it's handled differently. 

I'll try out the double aging thing.  From memory I think it is possible for townies but I'm not sure. 

Thanks for the help, AH!