Author Topic: B.O. re: Shoppers Respect  (Read 7377 times)

Offline sarah jones

• Babbling Baby
  • Has not found this setting yet :)
B.O. re: Shoppers Respect
« on: December 29, 2014, 07:10:30 PM »
Just an impromptu thank you for this hack. I love Sims 2 - I guess the creators couldn't think of everything - or maybe Sims going into your household Sims' private areas was done on purpose. I think the latter. If they spent more time improving things (like matching walls and some way to categorize them) rather than creating chaos, Sims 2 would be a stand out game.
Thank you for all your time and effort - it IS appreciated.
The tiny lot where this is so needed - started out to be used for a retired gentleman and his cat. There is no back door, but I have the stairs behind his work area. It leads upstairs and ends up in the bathroom. So, I'll lock the bathroom door. If Other Sims feel the urge, well, have at it. But hopefully that's as far as they'll go from now on.  :wink:

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • We'll jump off that bridge when we come to it.
    • Leefish
Re: B.O. re: Shoppers Respect
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 08:21:41 PM »
Thank you for your praise, Sarah. It's much appreciated :)

Actually, I don't think it was intentional that visitors walk through locked doors to get to items in private areas. A sim can't tell what's private and what not. So the moment they enter the portal, they choose any item on the lot to home in on. And because the lot is intended as a business lot (either a home business or a comm lot with some private area), some flag is raised on the visitor that allows it to pass all doors to reach that target. The Maxoids probably just couldn't imagine that some people would add private sections, and might object to this rude behavior. So I reversed that flag, stopping those sims dead in their tracks.

I've found, by the way, that it works best when the private section is then put behind tunaisafish' smart door (available at MTS), which has a special 'privacy' mode. This privacy mode makes certain that objects behind the door are totally invisible to any sim that isn't allowed access to the area. This way, visitors will not obsess over unreachable items, stamping their feet in front of the locked door!

"BO, Sir, you rock! :bow:" - TheISZ                           (banner design: eefje00704/Eva)

Offline sarah jones

• Babbling Baby
  • Has not found this setting yet :)
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 11:18:23 AM »
You said: " This way, visitors will not obsess over unreachable items, stamping their feet in front of the locked door!"
  I played the lot last evening, and what with all the chaos -too many buyers wanting to be shown items, buying items with a new cashier on board, and my Sim just wanting to paint instead of sell, what you mentioned happened also, and I see what you mean. I will get that mod, and I appreciate the info about it. I'd like to see home business running smoothly as it's a great game e.p.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 03:44:08 PM »
 :cheese: I've run into this issue myself a few times. It nowadays never happens anymore, because I'm prepared for it :)

Beware, though. These smart doors need a little special care in placement. Place it so that the arrows in the footprint point OUT of the private room.

And I've found that setting the door to the "No visitors" setting often gives a good result. This way, the room is open only to selectable sims and the ones they invite! :) And this even works at an unowned comm lot!

"BO, Sir, you rock! :bow:" - TheISZ                           (banner design: eefje00704/Eva)

Offline Dark_Author

• Administrator
  • Whining Whelp
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 04:14:22 PM »
I need to get those doors!

Click On Those, Please?

Offline AncientHighway

• Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 05:02:40 PM »
I tend to have separate buildings for home businesses, with the main house set apart with a fence and locked gate.  Serving meals always is a problem during business hours, because plate will be set out for everyone one lot up to the six servings.  And if you have a servo or cook npc (nanny, CL's All-n-1, DMA) for the house, the cooking never stops until the fridge is bare!  (My home businesses tend to be more entertainment/service than retail; lots of fun things so the business is no fuss, good profit.)

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2014, 06:44:52 PM »
Those are good suggestions, AH. But with separate buildings, aren't you just moving the foot-stamping to the locked gate?

The meals issue is something I once promised ZZ, I would try and find a solution for. I never got round to actually fixing it, though. Myself, I've found the solution to be to have each sim get their own pre-cooked meal from the fridge. This means, of course, that one of your sims needs to regularly spend some time preparing some group meals in advance, and storing them as single plates (using MogHughson's simply leftovers mod). But on the up side, I have no npc/servo making a mess of my food reserves. And with households that easily grow beyond a dozen sims, I find that it's much less of a hassle to get everyone fed this way.

I do entertainment/service stuff only on comm lots, myself. Usually, some of the family members play a musical instrument. Quite a bit of the profits are from them performing together in the entertainment hall that one of them owns. The rest is, of course, from the ticket machine.
If I do sales from a comm lot, then it's usually the OFB stuff like grocery baskets, clothing off the rack, magazines, and such...

My home businesses are mostly selling fish or produce. Or, if multiple sims in the household have the same crafting hobby, selling the products of that hobby. Like robots, pottery or flower arrangements.

I need to get those doors!

You mean you still don't have those? I can recommend that you fix that soon. I usually have one or two comm lots that aren't owned by anyone, but where there is a special private area available for whatever selectable sim I send there. They can do some reading and/or painting, do yoga, work out, have a private espresso, or invite someone in for a 'public woohoo' without being disturbed.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 07:02:06 PM by BoilingOil »

Offline Dark_Author

• Administrator
  • Whining Whelp
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2014, 07:31:38 PM »
You mean you still don't have those?

I didn't even know about them, honestly.  I checked out the link, though.  I intend to get them as soon as a get my computer working (and my game working).

Click On Those, Please?

Offline AncientHighway

• Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2014, 09:29:35 PM »
I used tunaisafish's doors for a long time, but I've found since EAxis updated the doors, that they work just as well for my needs.

Inge has her own take on the door issue, well several actually to include keyed doors recognizable by the VC (not sure what that means but Inge considered it significant).  I can see an advantage of the keyed doors is you don't have to unlock doors for visitors to come in, and hope you get it looked before the masses do or forget to unlock the door when the visitor is to leave.  I'm pretty sure I lost a sim or two to a door that should have been locked and had some nosey neighbor slip in undetected, then get locked in after I realized the door was unlocked.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2014, 10:40:12 PM »
I, on the other hand, never quite got the hang of Inge's doors, nor the reason for the different versions. And one of the versions caused horrible lag, every time I moused over a door or gate... I removed that soon.

Keyed doors indeed make sense. But usefulness depends a lot on how those keys are implemented. Tuna's doors also have a key system built in, by the way. Two types, actually.

But how do you lose sims? :lol: They weren't selectable, I suppose?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 10:45:16 PM by BoilingOil »

Offline Dark_Author

• Administrator
  • Whining Whelp
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2015, 12:13:10 AM »
Inge has her own take on the door issue, well several actually to include keyed doors recognizable by the VC

Now, THOSE doors I have.  The Keys are recognizable by the VC, so that you can allow people on lots by what color key they have.  I'm actually the one who gave Inge that idea, because I needed some kind of caste system for my medieval neighborhood.  The doors recognize the keys, but with the VC, I can make a lot that will recognize 'royalty' by their key color and keep them out of 'peasant' type lots.

Click On Those, Please?

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Superannuated Coffeeholic
    • Zephyr Zodiac @ 4-Shared
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2015, 12:27:22 AM »
I used to use Inge's lockable doors a long time ago, but since OFB *broke* them, I started to use the in-game doors and never bothered with the updates.  I've run the occasional home business and simply used the in-game doors to keep customers out of the house and rarely had a problem.  The main problem is when my sims had guests who were not customers!

My home businesses are almost always bars or gambling clubs, so there is really nothing to tempt customers into the house!

"All the world's a Neighbourhood, and all the men and women merely Sims."  ZephyrZodiac with apologies to Willie Waggledagger.

http://www.4shared.com/u/yCrnLoEP/Zephyr_Zodiac.html

Offline AncientHighway

• Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2015, 02:23:54 AM »
But how do you lose sims? :lol: They weren't selectable, I suppose?

Right.  Customers that slip into an "Authorized Personnel Only" area that I don't see, I lock the door, and they can't get out.  But then deaths on my home entertainment lots among customers isn't uncommon.  Yes, it is possible to have too much fun!

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2015, 07:02:30 AM »
@AH: Oh my, they died! My condolences.

Offline miros1

• Face Collector
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Face Collector
    • The Wooden Simolean
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2015, 10:26:44 AM »
You mean you still don't have those?

I didn't even know about them, honestly.  I checked out the link, though.  I intend to get them as soon as a get my computer working (and my game working).

:lol: I actually wrote up a little comparison thing on my site based partially on BO's recommendation of tuna's doors!

Offline AncientHighway

• Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2015, 12:15:53 PM »
Could you be more specific on the location of that comparison?

Offline miros1

• Face Collector
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Face Collector
    • The Wooden Simolean
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2015, 05:55:53 PM »

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2015, 06:06:52 PM »
I feel I must add a note to that... I never said that SmartDoors cause lag. It's one of Inge's door systems that does that. I don't remember what they're called, but I believe that it was a global mod. Let me look it up... Ah yes, the "GENDER and 4-KEY LOCKING" system, that was the culprit! At least, in *my* experience :)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 06:10:23 PM by BoilingOil »

Offline AncientHighway

• Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2015, 06:36:58 PM »
If you wanted recommendations miros1, you should have said so  :wink:

I remember all the discussion about the keyed, i.e., caste, doors and thought that is a really cool idea if I was playing a theme with specific restrictions based on some arbitrary attribute, but then I thought about how long it would take to set up and maintain a neighborhood, especially one of mine where I allow population regen as needed and have even been known to force a full neighborhood's worth just because I needed more customers for my storefronts.

At one time, between OFB and whatever EP added the lockable TS2 doors in the state they are now, I used tunaisafish's doors when access was to be limited.  Useful for keeping parents out of the angst teen's room, too. 

But with the improvements on the EAxis door handling, I haven't used any other door since.  It allows me to restrict access to household only or more likely household and employees.  That's all I really need.  Fixes haven apparently been made, or I have a mod I forgot about, to the whiny door blocked fools that decide mi casa es su casa because I don't have that frequent a problem with them.  Saying goodbye, forcing error, zapping, or ignoring them work for me.

Don't assume a mod is needed just because it's been made and is considered "the one" for that feature.  Many mods have been made obsolete by EAxis actually sneaking an improvement or two into the later EPs.

Offline miros1

• Face Collector
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Face Collector
    • The Wooden Simolean
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2015, 03:46:41 AM »
Oh, cool!  I'll add your info to my comments soon. 

All I remember when OFB was new was having to lock the residential area doors of a home business to keep the customers out and the invited guests couldn't get in either.  Quite annoying, since it was a booty call!

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2015, 04:05:43 AM »
I had similar problems, and I only started playing short before the release of AL.  Tuna's doors don't block invited guests, because they consider them as being 'player-directed'.

Edited to add: (meaning that if a controllable sim behind a locked SmartDoor calls over an uncontrollable sim from the other side, the uncontrollable sim has access, and can pass the door unimpeded.)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 07:15:16 AM by BoilingOil »

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2015, 04:08:27 AM »
Yes, you do have to remember to unlock the doors and unfortunately you have to unlock every one if you've locked them all..... However, if front and back door locks are working then there should be no need to lock inside doors..... although before I had nojumponbeds I used to have to put to doors on the parents room and lock one for each of them!

So a front and back door by Tuna would solve the problem altogether?

But I like my custom front doors......
"All the world's a Neighbourhood, and all the men and women merely Sims."  ZephyrZodiac with apologies to Willie Waggledagger.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2015, 06:15:50 AM »
In fact, that might indeed do it.
But that's mostly my regret too, ZZ. I don't want to use the same 5 or 6 doors over and over again either.

In the case of a home business, if the living- and business sections each have their own front door, then those are  both just any normal door I want, but the door into the house is properly locked to only allow household members. The business door is locked every time the business closes, to prevent sims from trying to sneak in through the back.
If there is a connecting door between both, then that will usually be in a place where style isn't of much consequence, so I can use one of Tuna's.

On comm lots, I don't care too much about the style of the door to the private section, either. I'll just put it in some seldom-used corner. Or I'll adjust the style of said corner to best fit the door I used.

If there is no business section, so we're just talking about a residential, then it's just any normal door - custom or EAxis default - that fits the style of the place. And properly locked to only allow household members. I'll just accept that I need to lock/unlock for every guest. Fortunately, that's only required to let them IN, not out :)

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2015, 12:10:41 PM »
Since most of my home businesses are above the garage, I suppose I could use one of Tuna's doors between the house and the garage, to prevent customers from accessing the house through the garage (only on lots with no foundation, of course.)

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2015, 12:15:45 PM »
Yeah, that would work! :thumb:

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2015, 12:29:23 PM »
Might be worth getting those doors, then!

anything