Author Topic: No added memories after death  (Read 4850 times)

Offline mark93

• Talkative Toddler
No added memories after death
« on: October 27, 2014, 01:31:31 PM »
This is from a player over at MTS who's ISP email is blocked here.

Dear any mod creators over at Simbology,
 Would you please create a mod which prevents dead sims to get any new memories after their death?
 Because how can a deceased grandparent know that his daughter got another baby after the grandparent's death?
 Anyway...

I really appreciate your work and I understand that creating mods aren't easy and fast done and can take some time.
 I hope someone will create such a mod like that.

Kind regards, Jawusa from MTS

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • We'll jump off that bridge when we come to it.
    • Leefish
Re: No added memories after death
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 01:38:30 PM »
Yeah, that kind of thing has boggled my mind as well. After death, no sim should have to carry the burden of an ever growing stream of new memories.

Also, I'd like to know who that ISP is, because we usually don't block genuine ISPs. Only free services that host a plethora of spammers, like Gmail. Hotmail and the likes.

"BO, Sir, you rock! :bow:" - TheISZ                           (banner design: eefje00704/Eva)

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Superannuated Coffeeholic
    • Zephyr Zodiac @ 4-Shared
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 01:51:04 PM »
Well, if sims can, and do, become ghosts, I can't see that getting memories about their families is such an anomaly!

I'd be interested to find out which ISP that is, too.  I can PM you about one fairly long-term member who is not only a modder who has uploaded stuff here, but is currently banned.... I think there is something inherently wrong with existing members being banned!
"All the world's a Neighbourhood, and all the men and women merely Sims."  ZephyrZodiac with apologies to Willie Waggledagger.

http://www.4shared.com/u/yCrnLoEP/Zephyr_Zodiac.html

Offline mark93

• Talkative Toddler
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 02:56:44 PM »
PM sent to BO with the email address.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 06:24:39 PM »
I didn't really need their full address, Mark, just the ISP. So, you could have just said here, that it was a Gmail account. :) No PM required for that :D But that doesn't matter.

Anyway, Gmail is *NOT* an ISP email. And thus they lied, when they said Simbology blocks their ISP email. When they failed to register, they got a notification mentioning the House Rules. I suppose they did NOT follow the hint and read them. So I guess it's their own fault they could not register. I hate to act like an @$$, but there's not much we can do about user stubbornness or user laziness, alas. I can't use my Gmail address either, much as I'd like to. And I am already registered!

@ZZ: Someone is banned? I want to know about that! I *should* know about that. Those address limitations on registration should NOT affect registered members! They only affect registration! They may *appear* banned, when you view their status, but that is the system being too stupid to recognize the difference between being unable to register and being unable to log in.
Anyway, I should be informed about this, so I can see what to do about it! Existing members are indeed NOT supposed to be banned!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 06:30:03 PM by BoilingOil »

"BO, Sir, you rock! :bow:" - TheISZ                           (banner design: eefje00704/Eva)

Offline mark93

• Talkative Toddler
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 06:53:34 PM »
Is Hotmail.com, live.com and or yahoo.com good for this site to be able to register with.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 09:20:36 PM »
Mark, obviously YOU didn't check the House Rules either, recently. :) All visitors - even unregistered ones - can read that post! And the News bar even *tells* everyone to read them and *links* to it.

It says ---        "Please, READ the House Rules!

So why don't you? You'll be able to find the answers for yourself!

Really, reading is such a practical skill. It's a pity that people don't do it more often... :ninja:

Offline mark93

• Talkative Toddler
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 05:34:05 AM »
I knew that list was somewhere but for the life of me I could not find it yesterday. :blush:

Now back to the mod, is there anyway to block ghost from getting new memories.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2014, 05:56:06 AM »
I do not know yet, Mark, but I may look into it.

I think this has to do with the "Gossip" circuit:
Every time somesim does something, or has something done to them (like having a baby, or a birthday, or getting engaged/married), the sims who are physically near (on the same lot) *and* those that are considered "family" are made aware of it. Some modders - including myself - have already tried to manipulate that system before, and we all failed to some degree. It is impossible to get it to include/remove certain family from the 'crowd' with ANY level of reliability. I mean: it continuously screws up, including sims that had nothing to do with it, and leaving sims out who we want to be informed.

But there is still hope, because if all else fails, maybe I could add it to the "No Sim Loaded" routines. NSL already deals with killing gossip, so maybe I could have it remove memories from corpses as well. It's just a stop-gap measure, and it requires people to install the NSL, but that's always better than nothing.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2014, 11:34:44 AM »
Maybe Pescado's No Telepathy could be a starting point?
"All the world's a Neighbourhood, and all the men and women merely Sims."  ZephyrZodiac with apologies to Willie Waggledagger.

Offline Orilon

• Toddling Tot
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2014, 11:35:30 AM »
A+s at least are added to dead Sims memories even if the graves are moved off the lot.   I moved Claudio and  Olivia Monty's graves from the Ranch to a cemetery on a different lot. Romeo Monty's A+ showed up as a memory for both of his dead parents even though their urns were not on the same lot.

Apparently such a mod would need to check family relations on different lots as well on the same lot.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2014, 01:43:06 PM »
@Orilon: Yep. Distance makes no difference to the dead. If they can hear you from the grave, they'll give considerably less than a rats @$$ about where their urn/tombstone is stashed.
And yes, checking family relations on multiple lots is what No Telepathy takes into account as well. That's why I started there, originally, as well.

Maybe Pescado's No Telepathy could be a starting point?

What got me started in that direction in the first place, was the fact that some people complained that Pescy's mod wasn't perfect, either. So I started from there, and quickly went nowhere at all, with several versions that all performed less than desirable, alas. That's when I eventually came up with "No Trash Memories", which follows a completely different tactic. However, that mod does not distinguish between living and dead sims either. And we do NOT want to make the *whole* family forget about the wedding. Only the dead ones.

But when I try again, I may need to give it another glance, ZZ. Thanks for reminding me :D

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2014, 02:56:50 PM »
Just hope you can come up with something.

Offline AncientHighway

• Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2014, 07:04:26 PM »
BO, don't you have a mod now that blocks memories from being added to a sim?  Include the dead and it should solve the problem, no?

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2014, 11:19:18 PM »
Yes, I *do* have such a mod - No Trash Memories -, and I thank you for the suggestion. But that mod prevents only those specific memories that some people do not want on ANY of their sims. And it prevents those memories on all sims, living and dead alike. In *this* instance, however, we want certain memories to still appear on living sims, but not on dead ones. Like when a sim marries, his/her living relatives should still get the memory, but the dead ones should not.

Currently, I'm not yet fully convinced that I have the necessary skills to reliably separate the living from the dead. So that's what we're looking into right now...

Offline mark93

• Talkative Toddler
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2016, 10:56:54 AM »

Currently, I'm not yet fully convinced that I have the necessary skills to reliably separate the living from the dead. So that's what we're looking into right now...

Yes I know its a very long time since this was posted but has there been any progress with this.

This is from Jawusa over at MTS.
Quote from: Jawusa
It's been a while since someone replied in that thread but I have a suggestion for this.

Each ghost has a special token (Token - I Am - Dead).
So, would it be possible to make a mod that blocks any new memories if the ghosts have this token?
Kind of a mod that scans the sim for a "Token - I Am - Dead", each time the game is adding a memory. If the sim has such a token, the game wouldn't add that memory. If the sim doesn't have such a token, the game would add that memory.

Just thinking out loud.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2016, 11:10:18 AM »
Jawusa wrote that to me in a PM on MTS. So now someone needs to explain to me how *you* got that :)

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2016, 11:56:58 AM »
I seriously think that if Jawusa wants this mod so badly then he/she should do what everyone else does, and register here and take part in this discussion.

Personally, going back to the mod, the only reason I can see for blocking new memories for dead sims is the dross it adds to a sim's file.  However, if you are already removing or blocking most trash memories either with the batbox or No Trash Memories, then enormous file size should not be a problem.  Since these dead sims are not totally dead, but ghosts, having some family memories is only to be expected, I think.

Offline mark93

• Talkative Toddler
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2016, 01:35:50 PM »
To BO, she ask me to post it here.

To ZZ, I have sent her the list of email's that will get her to have an account here just today so we will have to wait and see.

Offline Jawusa

• Drooling Diaperfiller
  • Has not found this setting yet :)
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2016, 01:56:55 PM »
BO, I "requested" Mark to post that. And while I was sending that PM to you, I also sent a copy of it to Mark. I hoped that Token thing would be a help, but as it seems, it's not a big help at all.

It doesn't really matter whether I post this idea here or at MTS. I guess, it's not needed anyway. I apologize for that. Won't happen again.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 02:02:23 PM by Jawusa »

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2016, 02:31:43 PM »
Hi Jawusa,

You do not need to apologize for posting about the issue. Nor for asking Mark to post about it. In fact, in my PM to you, I had asked that you would post about it here, and had offered my assistance in getting you registered here. Because I wanted your idea out in the open, where it gets the attention it deserves.

But when you sent me the PM at MTS, I think it would have been at least decent if you had informed me that Mark was recieving a copy as well. I was under the impression that I was in a one-on-one conversation with you, and had no idea that others were listening in on it. That is why I asked *you* to post about it here, because I think it would have been wrong for me to quote in public what you had sent me in *private*. That would just be impolite, from my perspective.

Anyway, that is now water under the bridge. Let's talk about the mod and your suggestion. :)

First: the suggestion to weed out sims with a specific token such as "Token - I am dead" is a really good idea. Which is similar to what I told you in PM. I think some mods would benefit from this style of thinking. I cannot imagine why *I* never thought of that idea.

But here is the thing: when memories are being 'broadcast' (as it is called in the Maxis bhavs), some primitive takes over the process of deciding which sims get the memory. The way this primitive works, can not be changed by outside bhavs. So there is no way in *this* particular case to exclude dead sims.

Finally, there is a point to what ZZ suggests: most of the crud is already banned out if one uses the Batbox or my No Trash Memories. But on the other hand, I can see how things would be greatly improved if more dead sims could be excluded from certain broadcasts. I still hope to get there some day.

Anyway, if you have more ideas, Jawusa, I am absolutely interested in hearing them.

Offline Jawusa

• Drooling Diaperfiller
  • Has not found this setting yet :)
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2016, 11:45:46 PM »
Sorry about the PM. I didn't mean to be impolite. When you said, you'd like me to post the idea, I requested Mark to post that. Because I had problems in registering here and I didn't want you to wait for me posting that idea. I tried all of my email adresses and neither of them got accepted here. All had been considered as spam. But I was able to register with my outlook email adress yesterday. :)

Quote from: BoilingOil
First: the suggestion to weed out sims with a specific token such as "Token - I am dead" is a really good idea. Which is similar to what I told you in PM. I think some mods would benefit from this style of thinking. I cannot imagine why *I* never thought of that idea.

But here is the thing: when memories are being 'broadcast' (as it is called in the Maxis bhavs), some primitive takes over the process of deciding which sims get the memory. The way this primitive works, can not be changed by outside bhavs. So there is no way in *this* particular case to exclude dead sims.

Finally, there is a point to what ZZ suggests: most of the crud is already banned out if one uses the Batbox or my No Trash Memories. But on the other hand, I can see how things would be greatly improved if more dead sims could be excluded from certain broadcasts. I still hope to get there some day.

Anyway, if you have more ideas, Jawusa, I am absolutely interested in hearing them.
If that can't be changed from outside bhavs, how about if we let the game add the memories.
Then, the ghost sim would have the dead token and some new memories which were added after his or her death.

So how about a mod that removes all memories after the "Token - I am dead"?
A mod that is similar to No Trash Memories/or No Sim Loaded but scans the sim for the 'Token - I am dead' and if it's there, it removes all new added memories after that token.

Offline mark93

• Talkative Toddler
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2016, 05:29:13 AM »
Welcome to Simbology Jawusa I am glad you were able to set up an account here :yay: and I think you and BO may come up with new mods to help with our game.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2016, 05:50:32 AM »
Sorry about the PM. I didn't mean to be impolite. When you said, you'd like me to post the idea, I requested Mark to post that. Because I had problems in registering here and I didn't want you to wait for me posting that idea. I tried all of my email adresses and neither of them got accepted here. All had been considered as spam. But I was able to register with my outlook email adress yesterday. :)

I would not worry about waiting a bit, dear. I'm a patient man :) If you had sent me a PM on MTS about your email problem, I would have gladly helped get around it. :)

If that can't be changed from outside bhavs, how about if we let the game add the memories.
Then, the ghost sim would have the dead token and some new memories which were added after his or her death.

So how about a mod that removes all memories after the "Token - I am dead"?
A mod that is similar to No Trash Memories/or No Sim Loaded but scans the sim for the 'Token - I am dead' and if it's there, it removes all new added memories after that token.

See, now that's another good idea. I may have to give that some more thought, but deleting memories after the "Token - I am Dead" should indeed be doable, I suppose.
Since "No Trash Memories" is about prevention, and these memories cannot *be* prevented, I think I would add a new section to "No Sim Loaded" for this purpose. :)
Something like "When you're dead, you're dead. No more memories for you, buster, and that's the end of it!!"

I'll see what can be done this way :) Thanks for the great idea :bow:

Offline miros1

• Face Collector
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Face Collector
    • The Wooden Simolean
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2016, 06:43:11 PM »
Probably a really stupid idea....

What if you (the player, not a mod) made the dead Sims' files read only?

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2016, 07:08:15 PM »
That's definitely worth a try!  And easily changed back, if you want.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2016, 07:19:25 PM »
First of all, if you open a character file directly in SimPE by double-clicking the character file in Windows Manager, you will see that there is no data pertaining to the sim's memories. As far as I know, memories are in stead stored in the neighborhood.package. Making that read-only might not be wise at all :)

But even if memories *were* stored in the character files, maybe your suggestion might not directly be stupid, but perhaps a bit inconvenient. You'd need to figure out which file belongs to each dead sim. Make one tiny mistake, and one of your live sims develops a severe case short-term memory loss :) And then imagine ressurrecting a dead sim whose memory has been disabled... He would constantly forget that he was ressurrected! :lol:

Offline miros1

• Face Collector
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Face Collector
    • The Wooden Simolean
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2016, 09:43:51 AM »
Although we've rejected the read-only setting for this thread, it's actually pretty easy to figure out which file is which.  Select the most likely files and run SimText on them.  It will show you the Sim's first and last name and the filename.  Close the unwanted dialogs and write down the filename for the files you want.

Darn, I need to add this to the SimText page!

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2016, 10:56:39 AM »
I don't want to be a stickler, but doesn't that assume/imply that one has SimText installed? :P

Offline miros1

• Face Collector
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Face Collector
    • The Wooden Simolean
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2016, 07:10:58 PM »
Since I wrote SimText, I naturally ;-) assume everyone has it installed!  SimText, by eliminating the wait for Windows to update the folder windows and giving me quick looks at the text resources inside the file instead of waiting for SimPE to load, has saved me more time than it took me to write it! Add in the time it saved Sita when she tested it for me, and SimText is definitely in the plus column!

BTW, have your friend Catherine check the SimText page.  Somehow I had a brainfart and missed half her question, which I finally saw and answered when I added the comment about using SimText to see the Sim's name inside their Character file.  SimText can help her with that part of the problem too!

Darn, I wonder if I could make SimText show the text resources as a sort of tool tip when you drag across the file icons...
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 07:13:22 PM by miros1 »

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2016, 09:28:03 PM »
Catherine? Catherine? Who the f*** is Catherine? :P