Author Topic: A note to Katzengirl.  (Read 4366 times)

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • We'll jump off that bridge when we come to it.
    • Leefish
A note to Katzengirl.
« on: August 01, 2014, 07:49:08 PM »
If you decide to bad mouth people on your blog, ma'am, next time make sure you get your facts right.
I have NEVER spoken of "honest simmers" or made any division between simmers and non-simmers.

Maybe the Simbology threads should be opened up, indeed. But NOT because YOU decree that it must be so, and not because you strongarm or blackmail us into it. I have said that opening the forums up completely is something that needs to be discussed, BECAUSE I am not the only one to decide such things. I am but one of five Admins, and cannot unilaterally decide for all of them, especially, since I don't own the forum. Dark_Author does.

And besides, who are you to speak, after blatantly taking Aaroneous' information from our site and copying it without asking!

Be careful who you're messing with, ma'am. Because I can spread vicious lies as well, if I'm forced to.

"BO, Sir, you rock! :bow:" - TheISZ                           (banner design: eefje00704/Eva)

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Superannuated Coffeeholic
    • Zephyr Zodiac @ 4-Shared
Re: A note to Katzengirl.
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 12:27:46 AM »
And the e-mails that you list are those accepted by our anti-spam program, not arbitrarily decided by you.  This person is just hacked off because she couldn't register.  I'm sure ours is not the only site that uses the same anti-spam, so I would think the answer is in her own hands.
"All the world's a Neighbourhood, and all the men and women merely Sims."  ZephyrZodiac with apologies to Willie Waggledagger.

http://www.4shared.com/u/yCrnLoEP/Zephyr_Zodiac.html

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 03:48:55 AM »
Thank you, Zephyrzodiac. :bow:

We, the Admins, pay for this forum to stay online. If we hadn't made this effort, Simbology would have disappeared three years ago!!! Our guests are free to visit, to download whatever mods they need, and read the manuals and support threads about them. FOR FREE. But as admins, BECAUSE we are the only ones bearing the costs, we should be free to set whatever standards we like to guarantee that this forum stays a pleasant place to visit.
If people want to see more than what is visible to guests, or if they want to post, they need to register, yes. Most people who do so, however, visit only once, never post, and are never to be seen again.

Indeed we keep SPAMMERS out. We do that by trying to filter the email systems most used by such spammers! We have learned over time that 99% of all people that try to register with a gmail- hotmail- or other free email address, are registered at StopForumSpam as spammers. Those addresses have been reported by OTHER sites, because the users of those addresses have misbehaved somehow.
So, in order to keep this board a place that the admins will WANT to keep paying for and taking care of, we don't accept registration from those addresses. We keep them out to prevent them from destroying the atmosphere here on Simbology.

And to give the honest people who still want to register a fair chance, we have suggested a few systems where you can freely register an email account that WILL be accepted, because not many spammers use those.

If you, Katzengirl, can not deal with that in an intelligent manner; if you need to start a hate campaign and spread unfounded lies, because you were too lazy to get an acceptable email account, or too stupid to understand our policy, then that is just TOO BAD for you! Maybe you need to grow up some more.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 03:54:40 AM by BoilingOil »

"BO, Sir, you rock! :bow:" - TheISZ                           (banner design: eefje00704/Eva)

Offline MaryH

• Tempermental Tyke
  • Otherwise known as Mary of H.
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 04:47:03 PM »
I notice that she uses Tumblr, which also does not accept certain email addresses..and that she's pissed off when forum owners have rights to decide who gets registered or not.

She can run a forum for herself and find out how fast spam can choke it to death. I have and it's not fun to delete all those spamming posts or accounts. That's why RYG no longer accepts any registrations at all. Lisa was tired of doing it, and I don't blame you guys either for having strict standards to register.

It keeps things neat and tidy. To hell with this little bitch-she can't ruin the site's main goal, or the reputation. It's far better known than she is.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 04:53:10 PM »
On behalf of all the admins, thank you for your support, MaryH! :thumb:
"All the world's a Neighbourhood, and all the men and women merely Sims."  ZephyrZodiac with apologies to Willie Waggledagger.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2014, 09:41:20 PM »
Agreed! Thank you, MaryH. :bow:

Offline miros1

• Face Collector
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Face Collector
    • The Wooden Simolean
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2014, 02:22:29 PM »
Third admin piping up here (that does make a majority, btw): I can fight even dirtier than BO, I suspect, because sometimes my compass goes out  of whack and I forget which lines should not be crossed.  How's that for a mixed metaphor?

Anyhow, the few things that are restricted here have been restricted for good reasons.  Even the restriction on email addresses is there because we had about 50 spammers a day trying to sign up using free emails and BO had to delete them.  Unfortunately, a few people who would have been good members have been shut out too.  If you've got an alternate method, please suggest!

Offline Zirconia Wolf

• Queen of the Cross-Post
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Reticulated MoonBat Queen
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2014, 03:48:06 PM »
Been gleefully AWOL lately (weather has been super awesome so I've been hiding down at the lake lately) & managed to miss this nonsense, but thought I would chime in anyway.

Not going to bother reading the blog (not interested in reading tripe) but just to set the record straight for little miss butthurt: My dear, Simbology already is an open forum.

We are open to talking about any of the Sims games. (Although we do *specialize* in Sims 2.)
We are open to helping other Sims fans find mods & CC they may be looking for.
We are open to trying to diagnose problems with the game and/or some mods, when asked nicely.
We are open to discussing various playing techniques, cheats, & other tricks to liven up the game(s) we love.
We are open to finding cool new mods & content & even discussing how to make them cooler.
We are extremely open when it comes to the ins & outs of DRM & how to deal with it safely.
We are even open to saying "oops, our bad!" if we learn that something we believed to be true turns out to be false.

What we are *closed* to is turning this board into yet another another MTS/InSim/BBS type mega site where most post are titled "OMG! HELP PLZ!" & are written in text speak with no punctuation & contain zero information as to the poster's game/computer setup.

We are also *closed* to the idea of turning this site into a MATY clone, where mods are offered with little or no information (aside from "install this or die") & posters are free to attack anyone trying to learn more about the game, never mind the fact that few of them know much of anything about the game themselves, as evident by the "advise" they give.

In addition, we are *closed* to the idea of turning Simbology into a straight-up social club for everyone & their uncle - regardless of interest in the Sims series - because this is, was, & always will be a SIMS board for people who share a common interest to chew the fat & bitch about EA & laugh at the crazy shit our little pixel people do to themselves. (If you want "free range" socializing, go join Facebook!)

In order to make all of this happen, we have opted to enforce certain requirements for members, of which not being a troll/spammer is the big one & that means making it hard on those folks to register, which - unfortunately - means outright blocking certain email providers that have chosen to let trolls & spammers run rampant via their services. BTW, all of my preferred email address are also *banned* via these same rules, so I had to find a workaround too.

If this bothers you - & we all admit it is annoying, but currently necessary - then like Miros said we are open to suggestions!

However, if that pisses you off to the point of writing nasty blog posts instead of trying to broach the subject like an adult, then quite frankly I can't imagine that Simbology would be your kind of site in the first place, as we have never been big on catering to 12s.
 :pissed:
~ Long Live All Wild Canines! ~
~ Sims 1 & 2 Forever! Sims 3 or 4? Never!! ~
~ Queen Of The Great InTeen Moon-Bat Revolution ~

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2014, 06:16:10 PM »
:bow:

And with four admins being on the same side of the issue, I cannot imagine Dark_Author to feel any different. Which means that - not having recieved any workable suggestions yet - no changes are currently planned. Because so far, the forum works as well as we can make it under the circumstances.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2014, 08:22:19 PM »
When you think about it, most people have an ISP whose e-mail addresses are acceptable, so even if they normally use a webmail which is not, there is nothing to stop them using the e-mail address which they were given by that same ISP.  If they are using an ISP which is not acceptable, I can't imagine that we are the only site which does not allow them to register.

Offline Zirconia Wolf

• Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2014, 08:39:32 PM »
Ding ding ding! ZZ for the win!

That was my thought as well & indeed is the very *work around* I used to join this site (& several others) in the first place. Never been crazy about my ISP addy ('cause they are forever attempting to block me accessing it via 3rd party programs like Thunderbird & also have ludicrously low limits on attachment sizes) but it isn't on the Spam lists & is great for getting me registered with sites that have no-spam-addy policies.

Once you are a member you can change your email & a zillion other settings to suit your fancy (just like on pretty much any site out there) so really this whole thing seems blown way out of proportion, IMO.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2014, 08:42:33 PM »
Someone has a Blog site and needs something to fill it!

Offline Zirconia Wolf

• Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2014, 08:48:57 PM »
 :biglaugh:

They must have run out of pictures of kittens & gossip about the latest teen pop-stars.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2014, 08:57:38 PM »
When you think about it, most people have an ISP whose e-mail addresses are acceptable, so even if they normally use a webmail which is not, there is nothing to stop them using the e-mail address which they were given by that same ISP.

That was exactly my thinking, when I suggested in the registration rules that people should register with their REAL email - the one provided by their ISP. After successfully registering, there is nothing to prevent them from altering the address to the one they prefer. Because the limitation ONLY applies to registration. Except for Admins, for whom the system will not accept the banned email providers at all.

Apparently, there are SOME ISPs that don't supply an email address. Their customers would, of course, require an alternative. I can understand that. That's why a number of alternatives are mentioned in the House Rules, for those who at least make the effort to read them.
But I cannot imagine that these alternatives are required for the *majority* of people online.

And only AFTER I added those alternatives to the House Rules as a way in for those people that could otherwise not register, THEN suddenly Katzengirl started nagging about my alleged division between 'honest and not-honest simmers'. She must have trouble reading and understanding proper English, and has chosen to blame me for her inability. I will not budge, though. :)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 09:03:33 PM by BoilingOil »

Offline Zirconia Wolf

• Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2014, 09:20:05 PM »
(Still stubbornly refusing to read the blog.)

Alright, I'll bite: Just WTF does *she* consider to be an "honest" vs "non-honest" Simmer? How is somebody a "non-honest" Simmer? Do people go around saying that they play the Sims & really don't? Are people really that desperate for attention? Are "honest" Simmers incapable of lying, like George Washington or something? Because I am seriously puzzled now!
 :confused:

For the record, I "honestly" do play Sims 1 & 2 (just not all day, every day) but I have also been known to tell a (non-Sim) related lie on occasion, so what does that make me? A "semi-honest" Simmer?
 :P

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2014, 09:29:53 PM »
Seriously, ZW, I wish I could tell you what's what in this context. But honestly, I am as stumped as you are. It makes no sense to me, either. But that's what she claims I'm doing: dividing people in two classes based on their email addy. The ones that can register, are apparently branded "honest simmers". :hmm: WTF??

Offline Zirconia Wolf

• Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2014, 09:37:14 PM »
Wow.

That's even lamer than I thought.  :omg:

Was sure it had something to do with "hard core" players vs "casual" or something...but email address??? WTF????

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2014, 12:27:09 AM »
I'm sure MTS has rules, too!  I don't see her challenging them!  After all, if they are pissed off enough, they might ban her!

Offline Sleepycat

• Resident Hairball
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • meow!
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2014, 01:25:25 AM »
heh, I was not going to not reply to this whole 'blown way out of proportion'  thing (the file in question wasn't posted in that thread as it's final resting place so I find it odd that people were getting their panties in a bunch about it) BUT, I do take issue with the whole "REAL email" line. I don't have an ISP email and wouldn't use it even if I did (after having to change ISPs a few times, you tend to stick to webmail).   Hotmail. yahoo & gmail ARE my REAL emails accounts.  Am I being nit picky, yeah but it really annoyed me.   

As for the whole blown out of proportion thing, when it comes to registering, if I want to register at a site bad enough then I will go make some email account I have NO use for, in order to register, but I'd have to really really want to join that site.  This place at least lets you see the main goodies without joining, unlike a couple other sites I have joined (there are numerous sites I have never wanted to join bad enough to register, even using an email addy I already have). 

---

As someone that helped twojeffs run this forum for years, I know that for some reason it became very popular with spammers. So I do understand the current rules concerning registering. 
TFM's Naughty Sims Asylum - home of my Sim stuff - SC4 Terrains, Sims, Hairy Skintones, Hoods and some clothes & stuff.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2014, 02:09:52 AM »
Yeah, I know, Sleepy: the term REAL may have been chosen poorly. Especially for those people that didn't get an email with their account, and even after explaining what it means in this context. I have yet to hear a better alternative word to use in its place, though. If and when I do, I'll gladly use it.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2014, 05:32:02 AM »
Desktop e-mail?  Acceptable e-mail?

Not all webmail is refused by our anti-spam program.  And actually, if you have multiple computers, it has the great advantage that all your e-mails show up in each computer's mail folder, whereas with desktop, once you have downloaded an e-mail, if you want it on another computer as well, you have to physically re-mail it.

Offline Zirconia Wolf

• Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2014, 06:37:56 AM »
Like Sleepycat I have created a *throw away* addy or two (or three, or four) before, either to get around a site's email restrictions (assuming I desperately *need* to join said site) or - as is more often the case - because I don't want one of my *good* addys associated with the site in question for whatever reason. Like when *having* to join a Big Business site in order to register a product (like I just did with Epson a couple weeks ago when I bought a cool new printer/scanner thingy) that I know is going to net me a ton of "cool deal" & "sweet offer" emails which I have no interest in having sent to my *real* addys.

Like Sleepy, my real/preferred addys are all web-based (much more convenient in this day & age) & like ZZ pointed out not all of those are *banned* here, & even if they are they are only *banned* during - not after - registration & this whole crazy thing is so blown out of proportion that it boggles the mind!
 :blink:

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2014, 09:17:06 AM »
It does indeed!