Author Topic: "The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection" available for free  (Read 21043 times)

Offline mark93

• Talkative Toddler
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 09:21:09 AM by mark93 »

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • We'll jump off that bridge when we come to it.
    • Leefish
I heard of this from people who recieved a mail from EA/Origin.

The intention is for them to lure all the old TS2 players into installing Origin for continued support, as if support from EA has EVER helped anyone!

But once you have Origin on your system, they can keep stalking you, as they have been proven to do according to this article. And ofcourse, this so-called "ultimate collection" will refuse to work without Origin. And you need to be online as well, I bet.

Next thing you know, the old mods and other custom content is no longer compatible, and nobody is able to update them because some key data is on their server, where only the game itself can access it.

In short, I don't think this is EA being generous. I think it's EA playing their final trump card to reel in what few TS2 players have not yet succumbed to Origin, suckering them into installing that shit at last.

The victims are most probably the ones owning digital download copies of some EPs/SPs. For they will no longer be able to access those, unless they register with Origin and install their spyware.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 01:51:44 PM by BoilingOil »

"BO, Sir, you rock! :bow:" - TheISZ                           (banner design: eefje00704/Eva)

Offline mark93

• Talkative Toddler
The way it sounds to me even if you only have 1 on Origin you will be able to get the complete collection when it comes out latter this month.

Dear Origin gamer,

Your current version of The Sims 2 will lose technical support on 22 July 2014. We want you to have the most up-to-date version of The Sims 2 in your collection, so you will see a brand new addition to your Origin library: The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection.

This is the most up-to-date version of The Sims 2 and the version that is still supported by Origin. It also features a lot more content than you may already have in your current version ofThe Sims 2.

The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection will appear in your Origin library automatically. You’ll need to download and install it to your computer to play it.

You’re free to continue playing your existing version of The Sims 2, but please note that it is an older edition of the game that will soon lose technical support. To continue receiving support on your progress of The Sims 2 – including Sims characters, houses, etc. — you will need to transfer your save files of The Sims 2 to the Ultimate Edition. To learn more about backing up your data, please visit http://help.ea.com/en/article/backing-up-your-sims-2-files/.

Once you’ve migrated your Sims’ lives to The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection, you can better organize your Origin game library by hiding your previous version of The Sims 2. Click on the tile for The Sims 2 in your Game Library for the option to hide it. If you need additional directions, we’ve got you covered.

Thanks for your continuing passion for The Sims.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 02:51:51 PM by mark93 »

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
Ok, so maybe that's a good thing for some of the people that don't have the entire collection yet. But I don't see what good it would do for anyone who already has all the disks and backups of the complete set of patches.

Anyone who's willing to take that risk, is free to get Origin and register with them for this so-called free *ultimate collection*. But it's not going to change anything for me, and I'll keep warning people to remain utterly sceptical about EA's plans with this. Because the fact still remains that Origin is spyware, which they can use for some unknown - likely nefarious - purpose.

"BO, Sir, you rock! :bow:" - TheISZ                           (banner design: eefje00704/Eva)

Offline Nellas

• Babbling Baby
  • Has not found this setting yet :)
Hmm, I think this is another one of those cases where I will sit back and wait for more information. I have all the disks for TS2 and have stayed away from Origin. Not sure anything they would offer would make me change my mind on this. That said, I am running a Win 8 machine and if I never have to hassle with the work around to make TS2 work on 8, I might be slightly interested.  :unsure:

ETA: It reads : To continue receiving support on your progress on Sims 2...umm what support are they offering right now?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 04:48:08 PM by Nellas »

Offline arathea

• Tempermental Tyke
It looks like the collection will contain bundle packs that are known for having problems with some mods.

http://www.modthesims.info/showpost.php?p=4448009&postcount=8429
Arathea's Area@TFM's Naughty Sims Asylum

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Superannuated Coffeeholic
    • Zephyr Zodiac @ 4-Shared
If they were truly serious about offering support, they would never have closed the Sims 2 site.

It's my guess a lot of the so-called *new* content is stuff that is hidden in the original game and EPs, much of which has been enabled anyway.  I can't imagine they have been paying programmers to make new stuff for TS2!
"All the world's a Neighbourhood, and all the men and women merely Sims."  ZephyrZodiac with apologies to Willie Waggledagger.

http://www.4shared.com/u/yCrnLoEP/Zephyr_Zodiac.html

Offline mark93

• Talkative Toddler
To many players have bad feelings on Sims 4 so I think this is a EA work-around on that problem.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
*sniffs and snorts, then quickly covers nose with a wet cloth*

Does that fishy EA smell not linger? I seem not to be the only one having reservations... :)

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
Sorry for the double post, but I thought this would merit an exception.

Following is a small quote from the Peerblock site.

PeerBlock lets you control who your computer "talks to" on the Internet.  By selecting appropriate lists of "known bad" computers, you can block communication with advertising or spyware oriented servers, computers monitoring your p2p activities, computers which have been "hacked", even entire countries!  They can't get in to your computer, and your computer won't try to send them anything either.

And best of all, it's free!

If anyone does *still* intend to inflict Origin upon oneself, they might want to check this out. I've heard say that it helps.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
It's amazing, isn't it, that governments have to specifically pass legislation to allow their security services to collect information about people's internet activity, even though the purpose is to keep us safe from terrorists, paedophiles and organised crime, but companies like EA seem able to get away with it!

Out of interest, BO, would this program, along with a decent AV, mean you could keep your XP computer safe?
"All the world's a Neighbourhood, and all the men and women merely Sims."  ZephyrZodiac with apologies to Willie Waggledagger.

Offline MaryH

• Tempermental Tyke
  • Otherwise known as Mary of H.
I agree with BO about the "fishy smell" that emanates from this 'generous offer' from EA. I believe that not only are they trying to lure old players back with the offer, they're trying to sell them the new incarnation of the game, and installing that piece of spyware known as Origin all at the same time.

I didn't know my game wasn't going to be 'supported' by Origin any more. It never was, and never will be because I never registered my games with them. Idiots...and that's why I don't have the EADM in my game, nor do I play with it installed.."cough, cough".

I feel sorry for those who actually fall for this scam. EA has absolutely no integrity or morals when it comes to getting their hands on customers, do they?

Thanks for the link to that program..looks interesting.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 02:46:11 AM by MaryH »

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
@Zephyrzodiac: Yes, it looks like burocracy is an excellent way for the government to prevent itself from dealing with criminal behavior.

As for your question: I've seen a screenshot that suggest that the program sees and identifies EVERY incoming and/or outgoing communication from your computer. And it should provide the tools to block each individual one, or whole communities at once PERMANENTLY!
The screenshot showed how Origin was detected very actively trying to communicate. The program stopped all of it. Yes, I think that it might do very well, with or without AV.

The article that I'm talking about, is here at Leefish.nl

@MaryH: I never registered with EA, let alone Origin, either. And I'm not going to, even if hell freezes over and EA provides the only warm place in the cosmos. I'd rather be cold than stupid!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 05:01:22 AM by BoilingOil »

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
Certainly looks like it would save my XP's from extinction!  And me from the hassle of disconnecting the oldest tower from the network, and replacing XP with W7 on the newer one.

Well, I tried it out, and I can't get through to the BBC website!  Dunno if the program is causing it to be blocked, but I got through to Sainsbury's OK.

It was the program, I had to unblock it!  But why the BBC, and what is it doing that we don't know about.....
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 05:42:19 AM by zephyrzodiac »

Offline MaryH

• Tempermental Tyke
I installed that program, no problems..in fact, it seems to speed up my connections! If it keeps the nasty spying stuff out of my computer, all the more power to it!

I just checked off the basic blockers..and nothing more. Of course I could run an IP detection program, but I don't want to bother to read the results. I'd be afraid of ever connecting again...

And ZZ? I had no problems getting to the BBC's website-I checked it out when I read your post.

I've got not only the new blocking program, but ghostery, No-script and Priv-dog all on this computer. I think those are quite enough to keep my Mabel relatively safe from intrusion, even with XP!

Of course I'm running with scissors, too-no AV running. I've tried to use all of them, and they're all bloat-ware unlimited. Updating became a tedious chore and ate my HD space.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 06:35:11 AM by MaryH »

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
I've never had any AV running, except maybe once or twice a year for a quick check if my system was still clean. It always was, which means that EITHER I've always used common sense while surfing, OR none of the AV programs I've used were worth the paper you could write their names on.

Since I don't believe that they're all that bad, I must assume that I never got any foul stuff on my system. :) Running with scissors? No, just fast-walking. :lol:

Offline mark93

• Talkative Toddler
That's why I like malwarebytes https://www.malwarebytes.org/ the free one for it does not run unless I tell it to.

If it finds anything then I will also run SUPERAntiSpyware http://www.superantispyware.com/ also the free one.

With both of these I have had no problems at all.

I do have AVAST on at all times though.

OK got new info: You do not have to install Origin to be able to get the collection, all you got to do is reg. 1 either Sims 2 or any disk you have and they will give you a code that will show up in origin so you will be able to get the collection at any time you want to.
You will not be able to play until you do have Origin but hey at least if you need it, it will be there.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 10:50:13 AM by mark93 »

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
MaryH, it definitely blocked the BBC site - when I checked, it listed every time I tried to go there.  As soon as I checked *Allow HTML* it was fine.

I also run this program from time to time.  http://www.f-secure.com/en/web/home_global/online-scanner

Offline Zirconia Wolf

• Queen of the Cross-Post
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Reticulated MoonBat Queen
I never registered with EA, let alone Origin, either. And I'm not going to, even if hell freezes over and EA provides the only warm place in the cosmos. I'd rather be cold than stupid!

Sums up my feelings on this whole "Ultimate" Collection farce quite perfectly.
~ Long Live All Wild Canines! ~
~ Sims 1 & 2 Forever! Sims 3 or 4? Never!! ~
~ Queen Of The Great InTeen Moon-Bat Revolution ~

Offline arathea

• Tempermental Tyke
Well, from what I'm reading, lots of people are already downloading/installing the ultimate collection which includes the bundles (Best of Business etc) that are known to have problems with several mods. You might prepare for a wave of "Halp! Why not working?" posts.  :dry:

Offline Zirconia Wolf

• Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
Quote from: arathea <snip>
You might prepare for a wave of "Halp! Why not working?" posts.

Awesome.

I shall have to dust off my "What part of *this mod only works with the __ EP* is confusing to you?" look of complete lack of sympathy.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
Well, at least it keeps the site ticking over.

Offline Orilon

• Toddling Tot
I don't trust EA so I imagine they have something up their sleeve, but I can't always tell what.

It appears to only be sent to certain Sims 2 owners, because I have not received the invitation for the Ultimate Collection. Although I have the Sims 2 EPs and SPs I want, so I don't really need it.  It sounds like they have several of the combo packs in the collection so I imagine patching will be a pain, and trying to get mods to work with it will be a pain.

Offline Zirconia Wolf

• Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
I agree- they are definitely up to something, but exactly what I can't tell yet.

It's possible that this is in response to the overall reaction to TS4 (like some people are speculating) & is an effort to try & get us skeptics to try Origin, but I'm not so sure about that because EA hasn't given a sh*t about what anyone has thought about their policies before, so why start now?

I never got an invitation either...but given that I don't have (& will never have) an Orgin account, that might be a factor!  :P

Offline Orilon

• Toddling Tot
I do have an Origin account (thanks to the annoying as hell Sims 3 2012 base game that required that I be signed into Origin just to be able to play the game), but I don't have any Sims 2 games registered on it, just the Sims 3 base game.

Offline arathea

• Tempermental Tyke
That should be the reason why you don't get an invitation for the Ultimate Collection. You only get it for free if you have at least one Sims 2 game registered at Origin. - And that's why I don't get an invitation too.  :P

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
Same here: they just don't know hat I'm a Sims 2 lover. Hence, they don't offer me Jack. Just as well, too :D

Offline Sleepycat

• Resident Hairball
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • meow!
I'm wondering if Origin is required to play this new version.  For TS3, I only installed Origin when I needed it and then un-installed it.   I have 2 copies of the TS2 base game and 2 copies each of all the EPs (1 copy of each of the SPs) so I don't need their new version but I'm curious, specially since they claim it has more in it. 
TFM's Naughty Sims Asylum - home of my Sim stuff - SC4 Terrains, Sims, Hairy Skintones, Hoods and some clothes & stuff.

Offline mark93

• Talkative Toddler
No Origin is not needed after you install for it puts a start-up icon on your desk top and it starts up the game with out having to start Origin.

Wow SimPE is supper fast in windows 8.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 04:20:49 PM by mark93 »

Offline arathea

• Tempermental Tyke
 :hmm: I'm not sure but I think "more" means that you get the complete game, even if you don't have all EP/SP now.

Offline Zirconia Wolf

• Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
My instincts say the "more" thing is just like the TS1 Complete Collection (everything in one *convenient* package & not any new content) but I'm not 100% positive about that.

It's vaguely possible they did include some new/unreleased stuff in an effort to attract people...but then if that's true I figure it's just a matter of time before somebody will extract said content & make it available for the rest of us, like has been done with all the pre-order bonus content already.

One thing that does kinda puzzle me though is why a TS2 Complete Collection & not TS3? As far as EA is concerned TS2 was dead long before TS3 was released, so why this "We still care about you guys" dog & pony show all of the sudden? Why not play up to the TS3 crowd - where the majority of TS4 players will undoubtedly come from - instead of the TS2 folks, most of whom have either moved on the TS3 or are die-hard holdouts with no interest in TS3, let alone TS4?

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
As far as EA is concerned TS2 was dead long before TS3 was released, so why this "We still care about you guys" dog & pony show all of the sudden?

Exactly THAT is what has me suspicious. There must be something fishy below decks, because the 'good' barge Electronic Arts is known to be a pirate ship. It doesn't sail 'just' to be generous!

Offline Cyjon

• Mushloving Mophead
    • Cyjon's Sims 2 Mods 'n' Stuff
When I first heard about this my reaction was pretty much hysterical laughter that EA thinks people are stupid enough to fall for this scam. Then I saw people are stupid enough to fall for this scam. OK "stupid" is a strong word, but come on, folks, have you not met EA? How many times to they have to screw you over? People over at MTS are having orgasms over this and I'm just baffled why anyone still trusts EA to do anything for anyone.

My other thought is that people are going to wonder why mods stop working. I've said it before and I'll say it again: collections are evil. They have this cobbled together Franken-code that makes it impossible to tell which version of a mod will work, if any.

Finally, I consider crap like Origin and Steam to be just as bad as Securom and won't have that nonsense on my computer. Which is pretty much why I haven't gotten a new game in years. Hard to find ones that don't have draconian DRMs, and I don't pirate.

Offline Orilon

• Toddling Tot
I'm getting a bad feeling this is an attempt to "control" people playing Sims 2.   From what I'm seeing, people who have the physical discs of Sims 2 have to uninstall those to be able to install the Ultimate Collection. This part depends on if people can play the game without Origin, but if they can't, EA may take if off Origin later as an attempt to stop people playing Sims 2.

Hopefully people won't get rid of their physical discs.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
Unfortunately for those that don't get rid of the discs, they would still lose all their neighborhoods and have to start again from scratch.

The only DRM I allow on my machine (once bitten, twice shy, EA) is the very mild one from Big Fish Games.

Heck, I still haven't played AL, and there are a couple of stuff packs I haven't used yet, so I still have things to discover about TS2!

Offline MaryH

• Tempermental Tyke
What got me ticked off is that if you do receive and download this 'collection' you have to uninstall any other games you have on your computer.

That's not kosher to me. Because I think EA is trying to control the S2 players who do not use the original .exe and are instead using a crack, (such as myself...along with a few million others..) and they don't like the idea.

So they invented this thing to keep track of all those people. Fortunately I have all of the EP's and the stuff EA has so generously "offered" does not interest me in the least. I know that some of the collection will not work with any installed mods, and that's a real bad idea. I don't play my game without my mods!

I'll hate to see the threads that will be created on MTS (and here) when people finally do start playing this, and find that their game no longer allows certain mods/hacks. Then they'll see why everyone with any sense did not fall for the candy.

As it is right now, I had to post a rebuttal to an ex-EA employee over at SimsCave who stated that Origin is all good and wonderful. I think it was a classic takedown, and one that is well-deserved on her part. She claimed that she wasn't a "EA fan-girl" but I noted that she used to work for them and that her bias was showing.  She also insulted RYG, and although she has the right to her opinion, I think we were (and still are) correct in our assessment of Origin, and Securom: they're spyware and they're unnecessary.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 03:57:43 AM by MaryH »

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
At my second home - Leefish, where my mods reside - I'm seeing a heap of people flying into this Origin trap, despite my warnings. I can't wait for the day that Orilon's prediction comes true, just so I can scream at them: See? Told you so!

@MaryH: Is that the truth? You must uninstall the old game when you get the new download? Here see; it begins!

Offline MaryH

• Tempermental Tyke
BO-yeah, that's the truth..you gotta uninstall the games you have on your computer when you install the collection.
When you get UC in your library, uninstall your current TS2 game before DL'ing. For now, leave it. Also, if you don't get the demo soon, contact Customer Support and tell them that you didn't get it. They'll ask for your code, so give it to them when they ask for it. Then they'll give UC to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil bag2
So do I have to uninstall my TS2 and EPs/SPs before I can install this? That'll decide whether or not this is worth the one SP I'm missing :P
I didn't, and the game froze. I suppose now I have to reinstall the Collection.

EDIT: And it of course doesn't work after a reinstall.
That sucks, and it won't happen to me...but boy, I'm waiting for the day when others find out the horrible truth of the entire BS EA is now pulling.
Read this page..MTS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=528726&c=1&ht=&page=27&pp=25#startcomments
Oh, and this:
It didn't work on my Windows 8.1 which I'm sad about because it took so long to download and when I tried to play it nothing came up and I really wanted the convenience of playing it on my own laptop however I'm not surprised.

"If I'd only known..."

I can hear the wailing and gnashing of teeth from here..it's not a pretty sound.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 04:08:22 AM by MaryH »

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
OMFG, I can see crap flying around the house! HALP!

Offline MaryH

• Tempermental Tyke
Or as the saying goes:

"You gets what you pays for."

I'm gonna go duck under the nearest bed. It's not gonna be a pretty sight at all! :lol:

Oh, and one last thing about this 'freebie':
I may be wrong, but I think you can only get the collection for free if you have one of your games registered by July 22nd. After July 22nd the collection will only be available to buy. At least that's what my adviser told me, but none of them seem to be on the same page about this.

Ah, now it makes sense..sort of.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 04:22:20 AM by MaryH »

Offline Zirconia Wolf

• Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
So you gotta get rid of your perfectly functional, already existing TS2 installation in order to use the "Frankenstein Monster" that EA is so generously *giving* away, eh?

I can't even scream "I told you so" because I honestly can't stop laughing!
 :lol:

Quote from: Cyjon <snip>
People over at MTS are having orgasms over this and I'm just baffled why anyone still trusts EA to do anything for anyone.

Holy crap! "Having orgasms" is an understatement! I accidentally stumbled upon that MTS thread a few days ago (I can't navigate that site worth crap, so the only way I ever *find* threads there is by accident) & I thought I had walked into a goddamn orgy! The excitement was so thick - & the excrement so deep - I had only skimmed a couple pages before I got the hell out of there. The last thing I need is an STD on my computer, especially one from EA!
 :eew:

Quote from: Cyjon <snip>
Finally, I consider crap like Origin and Steam to be just as bad as Securom and won't have that nonsense on my computer. Which is pretty much why I haven't gotten a new game in years. Hard to find ones that don't have draconian DRMs, and I don't pirate.

The only new game I have purchased (just this year, actually) was Banished, that truly amazing DRM free city-builder. Other than that single purchase the only other *new* games have been things like Arcanum & Roller Coaster Tycoon 2, etc, (all of which I still have the disks for & just wanted a digital copy as backup) which I bought from GOG. (That's also where I got Banished even though it is also available on Steam because I don't like Steam anymore than any other form of DRM crap.)

Like you I refuse to pirate (unless you are like EA or MTS & consider using no-cd cracks - which I gleefully use - to be "pirating") & I also refuse to let Suckrot or any of its friends anywhere near my computers.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
Banished - when my machine returns to the land of the functioning, I will be getting that. From GOG, ofcourse. And maybe I'll get an Arcanum backup as well. Apart from that, I'll be happy just holding on to all I have. But I'm veering off topic here...

Offline Orilon

• Toddling Tot
I have the EPs I want, and I uninstalled Pets for a reason (there was no other way to stop obtain pet wants from taking over most Sims want panels).   I also use a cracked .exe and I don't want to be forced to use the original.  I don't pirate (unless you consider using the cracked exe pirating) and legitimately bought all the EPs and SPs I have for Sims 2 and Sims 3. I just use the cracked .exe for Sims 2 because I don't want Securom on my computer.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
Cyjon, if you play Desiderata from scratch, and probably all new custom games, and ban all critturs with the VC, you should never get a want for a dog or cat.  Birds and womrats do get wants, but they aren't, imho, invasive, and they both have uses, birds for charisma for kids and both for nature enthusiasm and cleaning skills.

I cannot see how a cracked .exe for an EP that you own can legitimately be considered pirating.

Offline Zirconia Wolf

• Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
IIRC there is even a mod (TwoJeffs or Pescy) that kept the pet wants under control much better. I know because I distinctly remember getting such a mod for that very reason & I almost NEVER see pet wants unless I *force* the issue by making a Sim interact with a stray or similar actions. (On a side note, I think I'm one of the only people over 12 who really enjoys having pets in the game!)

Quote from: zephyrzodiac <snip>
I cannot see how a cracked .exe for an EP that you own can legitimately be considered pirating.

That's always been my stance too, but the powers that be over at MTS (& many other EA-loving sites) see it quite differently. It was funny watching them all freakout when EA stopped supporting that stupid "launcher" thing that came with BV+ & they were all a twitter as to what to do about it! Those of us smart enough to have used no-cd cracks in the first place of course never even noticed a problem.
 :rolleyes:

**** Edited To Add Pet-Mod Link ****

Yep, it was by TwoJeffs! It's called "No Pet Obsession" & I can personally vouch for its usefulness!
http://www.simbology.com/smf/index.php?topic=12.0
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 01:13:13 PM by Zirconia Wolf »

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
On my system, the launcher and the no-cd .exe played nice together. I merely circumvented the launcher eventually, when EA stopped supporting it.

Offline Orilon

• Toddling Tot
Even with No Pet Obsession the obtain pet wants took over the Sim want Panels and I had a hard time getting them to go away (Sim cats and dogs drove me nuts. I like the birds and wombats, but the want to obtain a kitten, obtain a puppy, obtain a pet overtook the want panels and nothing else would ever be rolled.)

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
You only need one sim to interact with a stray and they get the want so setting up the VC the moment you move your family in has worked fine for me.  The only hood where it failed to work was my custom hood, Urban Jungle, when I moved the Travellers into a Downtown lot and a stray appeared on the lot before I had a chance to set up the VC.  I made the mistake of granting the want (Tina Traveller, of course) and in no time every kid in the hood wanted a pet!  But in all my other more recent hoods (apart from the one I'm playing now, which doesn't have Pets installed anyway) I've never seen the want at all.

Offline Zirconia Wolf

• Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
@Orilon: Very strange, as since adding that mod I have to really work at it to get my Sims to start wanting a pet.

@BO: I never used the launcher at all - just the crack - so I never knew (or cared) when EA quit their support either.  :biglaugh:

Still amazed at all those fools people lapping up this "Ultimate Collection" craziness. I swear some people will never learn...
 :rolleyes:

Offline mark93

• Talkative Toddler
There are a lot of players out there that never had the money to buy all the EP's and SP's and now they get the chance to get it all in 1 package for free.

I have 2 full sets of disk and all 4 tri packs plus 1 set of disk for Sims 1 and the complete collection.

The only reason I got the UC is to install it on my windows 8 machine where it is very hard and takes a lot of time to get the disk to work in.

anything