Author Topic: Awesome "Mystery Sim" Replacement Icon!  (Read 2123 times)

Offline Zirconia Wolf

• Queen of the Cross-Post
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Reticulated MoonBat Queen
Awesome "Mystery Sim" Replacement Icon!
« on: February 08, 2014, 04:03:52 PM »
(Just found this today & had to share it!)

For anyone out there who - like me - finds the idea of every Townie/etc in your game having had their "First Kiss" & such with the same effeminate *thing* to be rather repulsive, AlfredAskew has just posted a terrific Mystery Sim override on MTS that replaces the creepy "girly" icon with a question mark & simply calls it "Someone."

Yay!

Now my Townies can have a "past" that doesn't include them all having had flings with the same womanly entity!

:yay:

(BTW the link I posted is for the "classic" MTS layout - not the new abomination - if anyone cares.  :wink: )

* Edited to fix creator's name because I misspelled it like usual. *
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 04:16:59 PM by Zirconia Wolf »
~ Long Live All Wild Canines! ~
~ Sims 1 & 2 Forever! Sims 3 or 4? Never!! ~
~ Queen Of The Great InTeen Moon-Bat Revolution ~

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • We'll jump off that bridge when we come to it.
    • Leefish
Re: Awesome "Mystery Sim" Replacement Icon!
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 03:49:02 AM »
Great! Thanks for giving us a heads-up on that, ZW! :bow:

The EAxoids should have implemented it in the manner this mod now provides us with. But I was never repulsed by it, because I always interpreted that memory in this manner. Even without this mod. Just so you know what I mean when I say: essentially, it changes nothing of course; all townies still have met the same entity. It now just has a different picture and name attached , so it seems less creepy :)

Anyway, many kudos to AlfredAskew!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 03:52:00 AM by BoilingOil »

"BO, Sir, you rock! :bow:" - TheISZ                           (banner design: eefje00704/Eva)

Offline Zirconia Wolf

• Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 10:01:42 AM »
I know it's really just a "cosmetic" fix, but that damn EAxis icon really bugged me. Blech! (Add coolness is that I can easily use this to make my own personal "icon override" if I want, which is an extra bonus!)

This is such a better, less creepy alternative to the default "Mystery Sim" thing that I wonder why EAxis didn't go this route in the first place...oh, right. It's hard to come up with simple, logical game elements when you are still having trouble determining which is your ass & which is your elbow, isn't it?
 X)

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 11:10:16 AM »
Yes indeed. The EAxoids should have come up with this in the first place. Which is exactly why I've always interpreted it this way, even when I saw the stupid twist they had given to it.

And I suppose you're right: it was hard for them to think in normal 'uncreepy' ways about something this simple. They have proven that over and over again with a lot of aspects of the game which they implemented just a bit off! X)

"BO, Sir, you rock! :bow:" - TheISZ                           (banner design: eefje00704/Eva)

Offline MaryH

• Tempermental Tyke
  • Otherwise known as Mary of H.
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 01:04:21 PM »
A very, very long time ago, I downloaded a override to the 'mystery sim' message.

It's rather risque, but it's called "The town slut".

Same messages but with that name instead. I do believe I got it from a +18 site..Sexy Sims, I think?

Good that there's another alternative to that annoying message.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 01:28:42 PM »
Yeah, MaryH, I've seen someone on MTS mention the Town Slut version yesterday. It's supposed to be a Chris Hatch creation. I find that rather credible, considering its name :)

BTW: ninja'd you, ZW :) :ninja:

Offline Zirconia Wolf

• Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2014, 01:32:12 PM »
BO is right; the "Town Slut" was one of Chris's mods from BAS. I never used it because I actually found it even more repulsive than the default Mystery Sim garbage, but that's just me. (Was probably also included in his "EPs" which I also never use.)

It's nice to have a simple, genderless alternative for that creepy EAxis creation!

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Superannuated Coffeeholic
    • Zephyr Zodiac @ 4-Shared
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2014, 02:02:13 PM »
I just wish it were possible, when creating a single parent in CAS, there was a way of naming an existing sim as the other parent!!!
"All the world's a Neighbourhood, and all the men and women merely Sims."  ZephyrZodiac with apologies to Willie Waggledagger.

http://www.4shared.com/u/yCrnLoEP/Zephyr_Zodiac.html

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2014, 02:56:39 PM »
Indeed, ZZ. That would be a practical way to link townies et cetera to newly created families. Currently, one can only resort to most impractical work-arounds...

It's nice to have a simple, genderless alternative for that creepy EAxis creation!

Indeed! It's even gay-sim friendly :D
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 02:59:18 PM by BoilingOil »

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2014, 03:20:49 PM »
Also annoys me that I can create an unmarried couple in CAS and then use their DNA to create a child, but once the family is in the game the male parent has no connection to the child whatsoever, and I have to edit stuff in SimPE!!!  Are the geeks at EA so naÔve that they think only married people can have babies?
"All the world's a Neighbourhood, and all the men and women merely Sims."  ZephyrZodiac with apologies to Willie Waggledagger.

Offline Zirconia Wolf

• Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2014, 04:24:01 PM »
@BO: I never stopped to think about it but you're right about the gay friendly thing. The EAxis effeminate creature may have been all right for straight males & gay females, but it was pretty stupid for straight females & gay males!

Nice to have a universally acceptable alternative!

@ZZ: I love the idea of being able to select an already existing Sim as the "other parent" when creating a single-parent family! Gads, how cool that would be.

I never knew about the "un-linking" thing with unmarried CAS couples! (Shows you how little I play around with family relations in CAS, eh?) Holy cow, how stupid can you get?!? So let me get this straight: The EA crew is so *moral* that they can't imagine unmarried folks are capable of conceiving a child, but they have no problems whatsoever with pedophile Butlers.

Sounds about right... :dry:

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2014, 08:09:00 PM »
Yes, ZW, it's impossible in CAS to create a family properly if the parents are not married.  Also impossible to create an adult and teenage sibling! 

I also find it annoying that the relationships between unmarried CAS sims, whether siblings, co-habitees or kids, etc., are almost always a lot lower than those between a family and a new, unknown sim who moves into their house.  This is particularly noticeable in Uni.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2014, 03:15:12 AM »
Agreed! They've made a lot of assumptions and choices that make you wonder where they ame from... How does someone moving in suddenly get to know family members they never met before? They should *WORK* at the relationship!

anything