Author Topic: How can I do this without blowing up the mod?  (Read 2858 times)

Offline MaryH

• Tempermental Tyke
  • Otherwise known as Mary of H.
How can I do this without blowing up the mod?
« on: September 19, 2013, 06:29:10 PM »
There is a mod to change the color of the lot sky by Chris997 at MTS: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=187229  and it's been modified/recolored several times by other modders.

When it was first introduced, the mod was lot restricted, which means that you could 'jump to' another house in the neighborhood and go to that lot from the one had that mod being inside. It did not restrict one from clicking on another lot to play.

Somewhere along the line, though, the coding for lots changed in the game (can't remember when but I think it might have been Seasons that changed it), and that is no longer true.

My question is whether or not it is possible to change the coding back to the original specs and enable the same for any recolors, such as Javiera's (here: http://ja-viera.livejournal.com/tag/objects%20deco ) or any other variation of the mod?

I've looked in the 'global object' part of the mod in SimPE, and turned the '0' to a 1, with no change. Is there something else I can do to enable moving out of the lot to click on another house? Is it possible, but where do I change it?

It's just something that has always bugged me ever since the change happened, and I bet if someone made it so that you did not have to go back to the 'neighborhood view' to play another lot, it would be a lot more popular.

The skies themselves are gorgeous, and I'd love to be able to play a lot with it on, and then be able to move out without doing the above step. That's the only reason why I don't use it more.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Superannuated Coffeeholic
    • Zephyr Zodiac @ 4-Shared
Re: How can I do this without blowing up the mod?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 11:35:14 PM »
You're sure that the option didn't get disabled?
"All the world's a Neighbourhood, and all the men and women merely Sims."  ZephyrZodiac with apologies to Willie Waggledagger.

http://www.4shared.com/u/yCrnLoEP/Zephyr_Zodiac.html

Offline MaryH

• Tempermental Tyke
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 02:40:19 AM »
I've played with this sky mod many, many times. It's been borked since about Seasons-and I have another new camera mod that literally scrolls to the outside of the neighborhood (at MTS, it's awesome) and I still cannot click on another lot to move to it. The only action is 'view' and that's useless. Of course if one removes the sky hack, everything is all right, and you can move outside the lot view to click on another lot to play it.

(of course when I need to reference the new camera mod, I can't even get into MTS! Figures!) Anyway, it's a very frustrating thing to have two incompatible mods that would work so well together if only they could!

Probably the fact that the original mod by Chris was based only on the base game and never updated is the reason why it doesn't work in anything past the base game. It wasn't meant for Seasons, obviously.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 03:32:11 AM »
Is Chris still active?

Have you tried removing the camera mod?
"All the world's a Neighbourhood, and all the men and women merely Sims."  ZephyrZodiac with apologies to Willie Waggledagger.

Offline MaryH

• Tempermental Tyke
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 10:26:45 AM »
Chris hasn't been at MTS for about forever, and she's never updated her files. The camera hack does not have anything to do with the problem, and no other hack does, either-it's to do with the lot view itself, and has been problematic for a long time.

What I'm trying to find out is how to remove/rework the 'lot wall' constraints of this mod. It can only allow one to see in the lot itself, and not any other lot at all, which means that no other lot ever is 'clickable' if you want to play it.

I don't know which file contains the 'lot wall view size'. Is it in the globals, or another file?

Sorry if I'm being confusing.

Offline AncientHighway

• Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 01:30:13 PM »
Chris did make another similar mod when Seasons came out, http://classic.modthesims.info/d/236426.  Perhaps checking it and see if it behaves the way you want it too, then comparing code will help you find a solution.

Offline MaryH

• Tempermental Tyke
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 05:30:37 PM »
I downloaded that, as well-haven't installed either the beach lot or the NH..but I did go through the original download's thread, and I did find a referring post to what I've been talking about:
There is one thing it seems to bork, though: the 'click on neighbor to play that family' function. It might be important to know for those like me, whose game takes so long to switch from lot to neighborhood view and back.

Nobody ever replied to it-not the creator, nor anyone else. Which means it never got fixed, and the issue got ignored-so I am not totally nuts when I seem to be.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 07:19:55 PM »
Maybe the sky acts as a barrier between lots, so clickable neighbors obviously wouldn't work, as you couldn't click through a barrier?

Offline MaryH

• Tempermental Tyke
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2013, 02:23:58 AM »
That's what I'm thinking-that the 'wall' of the sky is actually the entire lot's wall. I do vaguely remember that it was possible at one time to play without this being the case.

Why am I so obsessive on it? The recolors of this mod are just so lovely-and I'd love to use them on all the lots because they improve the entire lot.

But I did find a use for it in a limited way-community lots!

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2013, 04:13:45 AM »
Well, that's something, anyway - and I should imagine it would work well on vacation lots, including vacation homes.

Also, running AH's themes, and managing your cc to fit with several themes can cut your total cc for one theme down to a manageable level, and exiting one lot and entering another needn't take all day!

Offline miros1

• Face Collector
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Face Collector
    • The Wooden Simolean
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2013, 05:27:15 AM »
Stupid thought (I just woke up with a headache, so I'm pretty stupid at the moment): Didn't Seasons break click-to-switch-lots completely?  I don't remember being able to do this under any circumstances for a long time........

Offline Imalia

• Toddling Tot
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2013, 07:22:55 AM »
I don't recall it being broken, but if it did, something else fixed it.  I have all EP/SPs and can happily jump from lot to lot all day

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2013, 09:14:39 AM »
I think the lot sync timer function was broken in Seasons, not the in-game one.

Offline MaryH

• Tempermental Tyke
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2013, 10:07:24 AM »
That's true-and Pescado never updated or fixed it. He refused to, outright, claiming inability to read the code that BV changed.

I think he was just being lazy. Still do, as a matter of fact.

I mean, he conquered Sims 3 quite handily with his awesomemod.

The 'move to another lot' is still very functional all the way through the game.

I do think using it will be best on a vacation lot-and I even built one today. Probably the only way I'll be using it for the moment until I or someone else figures out the problem. It's not so tragic-at least I use it somewhere in the game! (and it's gorgeous!)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 10:10:21 AM by MaryH »

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2013, 10:25:11 AM »
It works somewhat with FT (I don't have BV or Seasons installed on this PC) but only within a hood, not between hoods/subhoods as it originally did.  Now, maybe if someone could fix that function, it would solve all your problems!

Offline AncientHighway

• Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2013, 11:41:56 AM »
It looks to me like Chris's mod is a huge object mesh.  How big I won't guess at.  It may or may not cover all of the bigger lots, but for sure the smaller ones.

My experience with oversized meshes, such as trees, couches, and what not, is you can't click through the mesh.  I remember having some very nice looking custom trees placed on a lot which forced me to circle around and into the most unintuitive viewing positions to click anything in the house.  Once I removed the trees, I could play the lot as I normally would.

It sounds like something similar is happening here.  Within the hollowed out mesh you can play the lot, but hit the mesh whenever you try to click outside of it.  You could click on the object's menu, but not outside of it.  On a larger lot, one the mesh doesn't completely cover, you can click outside of the lot as long as you are outside of the mesh.  But then again, you'd have part of the lot under Chris's skies, and part under the Maxis sky.

I don't see an easy fix.  Can the mesh be reduced in size and the recolors projected out beyond the mesh giving you the functionality of the game with the aesthetics of the mod?  I pretty sure the answer is no.  I doubt a click through mesh can be worked up either.

If the code defining the sky can be found, images could be replaced there, but then you'd have a fixed image instead of Chris's alternating images.  Maybe code could be written then that will change the sky based on the weather from Seasons and dynamically change the sky.  Maybe even coordinate the weather report from the newspaper to the point that it might actually be right once in a while.

Bottom line.  You have what you have and it probably can't be fixed.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2013, 12:26:44 PM »
I found another glitch using the sync timer.  The family I used to try it out lost 20,000 simoleons when I move via the sync timer to another college lot.  It was the exact same amount as there was in mortgage shrubs on the lot!  So, it would probably involve an awful lot of work to upgrade the sync timer facility to work properly!  Pity, as it would have solved the problem.

Offline miros1

• Face Collector
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Face Collector
    • The Wooden Simolean
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2013, 12:44:07 PM »
I finally woke up enough to go look at the mod... it is gorgeous!  I was thinking it was the one that Psychosim/pinkosim recolored, but that one is static, not dynamic.  AH, I think the "dome" is big enough to cover even the biggest lots, and there's another one that covers the whole hood.  It was done this way because no one could figure out how to recolor the sky texture and have it work reliably (iirc).  It's like the "rugs" used to cover the roads in terrain replacement sets because no one can get the road tiles to recolor correctly.

Offline MaryH

• Tempermental Tyke
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2013, 03:24:19 PM »
Thank you, AH, for the explanation-which is very profound, and true, too. When exploring code in SimPE, I couldn't figure out if changing a couple of lines might do it-and true, that didn't do it. Your explanation does cover why it doesn't work the way I think it should.

A mesh. Of course, it would have to be the basic shape of the mod. Darn...those things are almost nigh-impossible to change. You're right. I'm stuck. Darn.

But it is gorgeous-both the lot sky mod and the NH sky mod. Beautiful recolors done by others, too.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 03:27:07 PM by MaryH »

anything