Author Topic: Ancient Highway's age mod  (Read 18457 times)

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • We'll jump off that bridge when we come to it.
    • Leefish
Re: Ancient Highway's age mod
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2013, 06:56:55 AM »
Yeah, in 3 it's possible. But the number of sims per hood has been kept a lot smaller in order to make that possible. The whole hood is treated the same way as a single lot in 2: all sims in the hood are simultaneously active, but you control only a limited number of them.

"BO, Sir, you rock! :bow:" - TheISZ                           (banner design: eefje00704/Eva)

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Superannuated Coffeeholic
    • Zephyr Zodiac @ 4-Shared
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2013, 07:28:08 AM »
I was hinting that, if the aging process is so important to someone, maybe they should transfer allegiances.... For me, it's the fact that my playable sims only age when I am actually playing them, that matters.  I could actually care less about NPCs and townies (haven't any in this game except Bella Goth!) and I certainly don't want them aging up and being replaced constantly, adding to the load of non-playable dross that make up the game.  If I allowed my sims on a regular basis to make friends with service sims, then I suppose I'd have to change that attitude a bit, but I think I would solve it by moving them into the game, except for the really fugly ones!
"All the world's a Neighbourhood, and all the men and women merely Sims."  ZephyrZodiac with apologies to Willie Waggledagger.

http://www.4shared.com/u/yCrnLoEP/Zephyr_Zodiac.html

Offline Dark_Author

• Administrator
  • Whining Whelp
« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2013, 03:15:40 PM »
I only worry about townie aging if the father a child (they're forced to move into the neighborhood and be played or die) or if, for some reason, I think one has been in a current age too long (I don't like having several generations of sim kids have the same exact friends all the time).

Click On Those, Please?

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2013, 03:24:50 PM »
I send all the townie teens to college and move the kids in with couples like the Oldies!
"All the world's a Neighbourhood, and all the men and women merely Sims."  ZephyrZodiac with apologies to Willie Waggledagger.

Offline AncientHighway

• Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2013, 06:37:19 PM »
@total_immortal
There is a mechanic in game that allows you to age NPCs your sim is friends with when age transition happens.  Squinge, on insimenator.org, has a mod that allows more than the default option of 5 to age.  If you only play one family, with no interest in playing the Maxis playables, then use Inge's cat or the Blender to make all of those playables townies.

It's not unusual for NPCs that are aging to be made selectable by the game, and even teleported to the lot if you use the game's aging mechanic.  Aging all sims in the neighborhood could flood your lot with unwanted sims, that, even if you make non-selectable, may stick around forcing you to run around and say goodbye again and again.  I've had them stick around even after sending my household to bed, only to have my family wake up in the middle of the night to watch Grim come visit.

Others long before me have attempted to age all townies and NPCs daily and have abandoned their attempts.  You may be able to find the mods on MTS, and if you do, feel free to attempt to make it work the way you want.  But for me, my NPC aging mod is exactly what my game needs.

Offline total_immortal

• Mushloving Mophead
« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2013, 06:35:56 AM »
Never thought of it that way, it would be a horrible drag on the system aging all those sims at once.  and then the age transitions as AH mentioned. 

I attempted a mass genocide of the unwanted sims and ugly townies (anyone with the last name "Go" or "Tomyoy" are kill on sight.) but there seems to be a bug with the grim reaper.  He'll drag away at least 3 dead sims, and then after the 3rd one he seems to stay away and teh rest of the sims on that lot that are in motive failure seem to become immortal and you cannot kill them at all unless you leave the lot and return. Sometimes, even still, they are immortal.  Has anyone made a fix to that? I know there was a 'multi-reaping fix' someone made but it didn't seem to do the trick.

Edited to add: I still cannot get townies/downtownies to age on community lots either... not sure why. They age just fine on the home lot.

(Double post consolidated by BoilingOil.)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 08:07:30 AM by BoilingOil »

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2013, 07:03:08 AM »
Please use the Modify button rather than double-posting.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • We'll jump off that bridge when we come to it.
    • Leefish
« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2013, 08:13:49 AM »
Never thought of it that way, it would be a horrible drag on the system aging all those sims at once.  and then the age transitions as AH mentioned.

Isn't that what *I* said on the previous page? :P
It would indeed not be pretty. I've thought of another reason why I wouldn't *want* other sims to age like that: all those families would eventually die out. By the time you're playing your fourth or fifth generation of your one and only family, all other sims will have died, and only a few of the required NPCs will have been replaced. Your sims would no longer be able to find partners to procreate with.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 08:15:58 AM by BoilingOil »

"BO, Sir, you rock! :bow:" - TheISZ                           (banner design: eefje00704/Eva)

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #58 on: August 22, 2013, 08:22:52 AM »
I would suggest moving all unplayed families to the sim bin until such time as you might want to move them in.  Unfortunately, some will still come home from work with your sims, unless you select non-base game careers for them all.  Using TJ's school bus mod, and cancelling the want to bring a friend home from school, you can easily prevent friendships with the kids and teens in those families until such time as you want to move a family into their house again.  (If you don't want to refurbish those houses, use Inge's shrub so the furnishings stay.)  I think you will find the ghosts remain (Darleen's did when I move Darren out and then moved Dirk and Lilith into the Dreamer house.)

If you are playing a non-BG hood, then you would have to enter each of those houses, place the sim blender and use it to either change careers to ones you don't want to use for your family, or to make them all unemployed.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 08:25:48 AM by zephyrzodiac »

Offline AncientHighway

• Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #59 on: August 22, 2013, 08:49:39 AM »
With a second report of no aging on community lots, I went back into the mod to take another look at it.  I found an error on my part that was preventing this from happening, and another error which under undetermined circumstances would skip all NPC/townies except for Socialites.  Both have been fixed, but as of yet untested.  I'll post this in another thread.

Offline miros1

• Face Collector
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Face Collector
    • The Wooden Simolean
« Reply #60 on: August 22, 2013, 11:33:09 AM »
<snip>
I attempted a mass genocide of the unwanted sims and ugly townies (anyone with the last name "Go" or "Tomyoy" are kill on sight.) <snip>

Zip 'n delete!  Doesn't help your existing hoods, but you don't have to deal with them in the next hood.  Also get the two recommended downloads on that page, plus both the needed and recommended stuff on this page.

anything
anything