Author Topic: Ancient Highway's age mod  (Read 18512 times)

Offline total_immortal

• Mushloving Mophead
Ancient Highway's age mod
« on: August 16, 2013, 01:38:22 PM »
I saw that AncientHighway still posts around here, so I have a few questions :D

I was playing around with the age mod that automatically ages sims on the lot at 6pm and noticed a few things.  It doesn't age playable sims (non selected/non family) does it? I teleported random sims in each category and saw that playable sims weren't aging.  Is that intentional? Also, if that npc (not in family) has 1 day left and ages to 0, does that sim die on your lot or do you have to play another lot with that sim selected?

Thanks!

Offline LilSister

• Toddling Tot
    • LilSister's Sims Family Affair
Re: Ancient Highway's age mod
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 01:50:03 PM »
If you are talking about the npc/townie aging mod it's not supposed to age playable Sims only npc's and townies.

In my game the townies have died on the community lot I am playing. I then use the playable Sim to have the grave moved to the cemetary. Usually I will have them move in with a playable Sim they are friends with so that they can spend their last time in comfort :cheese: I haven't had an NPC death as I use the visitor controller to ban them from playable & community lots.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 01:58:11 PM by LilSister »

Offline total_immortal

• Mushloving Mophead
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 02:16:18 PM »
How do they die on community lots if they don't age on community lots? or do they now with this mod?

Offline LilSister

• Toddling Tot
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 06:02:32 PM »
Townies and NPC's age everyday at 6pm on community and playable Sims lots.

Offline AncientHighway

• Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 06:50:55 PM »
LilSister is correct.  NPC and Townies only will age on any community or residential lot at 6pm.  Playable sims only age when their household is active.  The only lots that should be exempt are Uni lots and the only age should be young adult.  Not that it matters much because each time you enter the Uni hood, all dormies are reset to freshmen.  If not for that, I would have had dormies graduating and joining the townie ranks.

Playables were left out of this aging so your favorite sims wouldn't age up and even die before you could get back to playing them.  If you have some playables you don't want to play anymore, use a mod to make them a townie.

Most service NPCs will not age much even without Visitor Controller because, if hired, they are usually gone before 6pm, and tend to only be walkbys on community lots.

My elders are moved into a retirement home, complete with staff to cook and maintain the home. 

Offline total_immortal

• Mushloving Mophead
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 04:53:18 AM »
Ohhh cool.  I was testing it out but had some playable sims so no wonder why I wasn't seeing many of them age haha. I didn't know they would age on a community lot becuase some of the ones i was playing didn't age themselves... so the npcs and townies still age on community lots at 6pm even though the playable sim won't?

I've yet to have one croak of old age on a community lot so I'm looking forward to seeing that haha

By the way, what type of programming language is helpful to know for modding the sims 2?

Offline total_immortal

• Mushloving Mophead
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2013, 08:01:21 AM »
just tested it on a community lot... no one aged. Is it strictly for townies or do downtownies also age? I was at Bernards botanical dining in the Downtown lot.

Offline LilSister

• Toddling Tot
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2013, 08:11:52 AM »
Have you used the hack detector to see if you have a conflict?

Ancient Highway, thank you for creating this mod. It has enhanced my game play tremendously. It helps with population control in my custom hood and plays well with other aging mods that I have in-game.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 08:22:55 AM by LilSister »

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • We'll jump off that bridge when we come to it.
    • Leefish
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2013, 09:54:02 AM »
Obviously, you're not using my Slow Aging Controller then, LilSister :) Because that would be trouble with a capital T...

@total-immortal: downtownies are basically ordinary townies, mostly. They just come from the downtown subhood, is all. So in this case, they should age like normal townies.

"BO, Sir, you rock! :bow:" - TheISZ                           (banner design: eefje00704/Eva)

Offline AncientHighway

• Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2013, 09:54:33 AM »
what type of programming language is helpful to know for modding the sims 2?

SIMAntics is probably closest to assembly language than anything else, but it's not necessary to know assembly.  Learning SIMAntics is just a matter of studying other people's code, browsing Maxis code, and thinking as a programmer.  If you know the basics of programming, it can be applied to any language.

What BO says is correct in theory, but I'd have to look at the code again to say definitively how downtownies are handled.  If to check it, you had made a downtownie selectable to see the aging, you had temporarily made a playable sim who would not age.  You would have to check age, make unselectable, and then check age again after 6pm.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 09:57:58 AM by AncientHighway »

Offline LilSister

• Toddling Tot
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2013, 07:52:18 PM »
That would be correct BO (I read the warning) :smile: I've been using AH's mod for about 2 years now.  I actually like my Sims to age  - the mod I use is actually a life span mod. I finally found one that I like and it plays well with ACR fertility.

Offline total_immortal

• Mushloving Mophead
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2013, 06:27:03 AM »
I was using the "days left shrub" mod someone made to test a change in days, just to be extra sure lol.  I placed it on the lot before I played it. Then, I went there as normal to Bernards Botanical Dining, did the sethour cheat to 17/5pm and sped it up til it got closer. I did a 'print screen' before and after 6pm... and no one aged :confused:.  Was it because I used the sethour cheat? It's weird because I've had employees and other townies age just right on my own lot. Like BoilingOil said, I figured the downtownies were handled the same.  I did use the conflict detection utility and everything comes up clean. I'll try again without a set hour cheat to test that too... I've noticed that on a playable lot, you cannot age twice in the same day... for example if it is Wednesday 5pm and turns to 6pm and you age, and use the sethour cheat to make it 5pm again and wait til 6, it doesn't age again until you change the actual day.

I'm pretty good at figuring out code, i have learned to mod Rise of Nations and Ultima 7 the black gate (exult engine) that way.  How would I go about looking at the code for people's mods and the Maxis code? Is there a specific program where you can view and write code for it then compile? I'd like to try my hand at modding the sims 2.  I've looked at sims 3 and don't think I'll be getting it any time soon... just seems like a graphics update along witha  few features that should have been put into the sims 2.

I'll test the community lot again without any time cheats to see if they age and let you all know what I find.  Thanks again!

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2013, 06:35:31 AM »
I actually like my Sims to age  - the mod I use is actually a life span mod. I finally found one that I like and it plays well with ACR fertility.

I like my sims to age too, actually, though not all of them all the time. And not all at the same rate.
A life span mod would not serve my needs. On the other hand, now I cannot use an NPC-aging mod, which I sometimes regret too.

Maybe some day I'll look into making a new hybrid, combining Slow Aging and NPC aging :)

@total_immortal: I've found that often is you use any mod or cheat to change the day, some things may not happen consistently on that day. You would have to go to the day before, 11pm, and wait for the clock to pass midnight. Then you can often safely skip some hours. However, skipping to 5pm sounds like cutting it a bit close. I'd try 4pm.

To look at Sims 2 code, either by Maxis, or by modders, you would need to get hold of SimPE, which can be freely DL-ed. (Google it, I'm sure it comes up :))
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 06:38:42 AM by BoilingOil »

"BO, Sir, you rock! :bow:" - TheISZ                           (banner design: eefje00704/Eva)

Offline AncientHighway

• Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2013, 07:42:31 AM »
My update of Monique's Aging mod, my Witch Aging, and No Young Adult aging (for non-uni lots) and NPC aging all play well together.  IIRC my witch aging mod is a Monique's mod and is handled outside of the Maxis aging mechanism.  But I can see how both are redundant with BO's mod.  I'd have to guess being able to configure BO's mod and the ability to use user configuration requires code in the same BHAV I modify for NPCs.

I imagine using set hour is the reason for the lack of aging.  Use of this cheat doesn't necessarily update character files.   The Days Left Shrub is Inge Jones' mod.  One version up to OFB and another for Pets onwards.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2013, 08:29:23 AM »
You're BANG on the money there, AH. Monique's aging mod, as well as your edits of it, don't touch the built-in aging BHAV. They just add a new global routine that adds a day to "days left" for all the active sims, one hour before the Maxis routine subtracts that day again.

My Slow Aging mod works in a different way. In stead of adding a routine that hands out days to active sims, it prevents the Maxis routine from subtracting days. I thought it made sense not to double the workload to prevent aging :)

Your NPC-Aging also edits the Maxis BHAV to include townies and NPCs present at the active lot. I can not imagine any other way you could have done that.

I did quite some research before I started that project.

Offline total_immortal

• Mushloving Mophead
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2013, 10:25:10 AM »
After more experimenting, I still don't have townie/downtownie aging on community lots. I tried a different lot, did no time mods or cheats, waited til 6pm but none of them aged.  They do age just fine on a normal lot, at least the townies do.  I haven't specifically tried downtownies. Not sure what is going on. 

I got Sim Pe and looking at the code for the aging mod.  I can't make heads or tails of it lol.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2013, 10:39:04 AM »
No, and I don't suppose you will... at first. There *is* some info on Simantics around the internet, but it's fragmented and incomplete.

Offline miros1

• Face Collector
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Face Collector
    • The Wooden Simolean
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2013, 12:15:19 PM »
I'd start with something far simpler than aging for a first modding project.  Dark Author (iirc) fiddled with the wedding arch to make it allow weddings under certain conditions as her first modding project.  Mine was really wussy... Comfy Coffins to make coffins give more energy and comfort; wasn't even a BHAV change, just a BCON, and I had Lord Darcy's bed mod to see how to do it.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Superannuated Coffeeholic
    • Zephyr Zodiac @ 4-Shared
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2013, 12:26:36 PM »
All I've ever attempted was changing windkeeper's mod to allow the graduation gown to be buyable to include it's use as outerwear!  That was about my limit, I think...
"All the world's a Neighbourhood, and all the men and women merely Sims."  ZephyrZodiac with apologies to Willie Waggledagger.

http://www.4shared.com/u/yCrnLoEP/Zephyr_Zodiac.html

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2013, 01:02:35 PM »
I had been programming in Pascal, C, C++, Forth, several BASIC dialects and a number of different machine code and assembler variants, yet my modding career started just as glorious as that of most people... with several months of jaw-dropped gaping at code, not getting any of it. I felt like such a winner when I finally made ButlerIsNoNanny, which in retrospect was a rather crude and sloppy piece of work.

I do agree with the others here, though. Starting out with the aging code is probably the hard way to hit your face with a concrete wall. Start out with looking at some of the No-**** and NoAuto-**** mods that are abundant everywhere. Sort the mods in your Downloads folder by size, and look at the smallest ones first. At some point some of it will start to make sense...

Offline total_immortal

• Mushloving Mophead
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2013, 01:46:18 PM »
Which ones in particular would be good to look at?

Offline miros1

• Face Collector
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Face Collector
    • The Wooden Simolean
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2013, 01:53:55 PM »
Maybe TJ's nobogartingswings?

The fundamental concept of Simantics is each statement is a sort of "if" statement.  It does something and succeeds or fails.  Success sends you to a statement by number (equivalent to then), failure sends you to another (equivalent to else).  The "program" starts at the top.  Try tracing through it making semi-arbitrary assumptions about success or failure.

Offline MaryH

• Tempermental Tyke
  • Otherwise known as Mary of H.
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2013, 03:01:44 PM »
The very first time I really did any 'modding' (if you can call it that) was when I wanted to use the SimWardrobe guns (and it's cloned offshoots from others) in a buyable mode. Because the gun itself was made long before OFB, it wasn't coded to be purchased.

I gingerly made my way through that one with BO's & AH's gentle guidance. I still haven't said thank you to those two! (and yes, this is an official thank you :) )

But tackling the aging code is way over my head! I admire those who can manage to work it out. The most I've ever done was to change the BCON's on Inge's aging mod. That's as far as I'll go.

Offline AncientHighway

• Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2013, 05:26:00 PM »
Well, I have to disagree with some of the advice given, but I won't say which   :lol:

The best first mod for you to make is something you want to see different in your game.  Maybe it's someone else's mod that doesn't quite do what you want it to do.  Make it right for your game.  Keep it simple at first, yet push yourself to do something more.

Don't hesitate to ask for help.

Offline Imalia

• Toddling Tot
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2013, 06:32:40 AM »
Also, it's not as scary as it looks, the first thing I did was modify phaenoh's holidays calendar to be 24 days instead of 20 (cause I play with 6 day seasons instead of five).  I found it all looks much more intimidating than it actually is, although don't be afraid to step away from a project part way through.  I generally have a couple of things I'm working on in various stages that I will go back and take a look at now and again when a new idea comes to me, or I figure something else out.

Offline miros1

• Face Collector
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Face Collector
    • The Wooden Simolean
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2013, 02:08:36 PM »
Just don't leave halfway modified stuff in your game!   :omg:

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2013, 02:31:42 PM »
And another important thing: keep your mods away from your established hoods until you're ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that they work as intended.

If you need to test your mods, do so in a new hood that you don't care about whether it survives. And once done testing, destroy that test hood. When you need to test another mod, make a new test hood to work in.

And I know what I'm talking about here, because I have made that mistake and lost a couple hoods that were important to me in the process.

Offline MaryH

• Tempermental Tyke
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2013, 04:32:29 PM »
But you see, I'm still wanting something that can't happen in an aging mod: changing the aging to be every 12 days because that's the length of time my hood takes to go through the entire range of seasons.

The reasoning-in my game, the calendar is 3 months to a season,  4 seasons to a year, and that makes 12 months, which in real life equals a year, unlike the Sims universe. This would be the way I'd like to age them, because it would be more realistic from a truly human viewpoint.

But I'll ignore my wants, because they're highly unlikely in any case.

Offline AncientHighway

• Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2013, 05:17:43 PM »
Why can't it happen in an aging mod?  Forget the fact that aging is based on what time it is or day of the week with BO's and my variations.  Base aging instead on Days Alive divided by 12.
Mary of H should prove MaryH wrong and make that mod.  :thumb:

Offline MaryH

• Tempermental Tyke
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2013, 06:44:10 PM »
It might be easy to do it, but:

Inge's aging hack makes ages variable. That means every single adult will have a different life span. Teens, children, toddlers and babies have static ages.

The hack would have to be based solely on the Maxis ages, and I'm far too fond of Inge's hack to change back.

Offline miros1

• Face Collector
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Face Collector
    • The Wooden Simolean
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2013, 09:56:27 PM »
Pescado's Synchronizer uses days since move in (plus a lot of menu options so you can adjust the day to match another lot).  You could check to see if the day is divisible by 12.  Everyone would age on the same day tho.

Offline MaryH

• Tempermental Tyke
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2013, 02:55:04 AM »
I thought about it some more, and then rediscovered a mod I do have (but haven't used in a while)-Nephiris's "4 days=1 year" from here: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=438329

Sims

Baby: 8 days --> 0-2 years
Toddler: 16 days --> 2-6 years - when kids start primary school
Child: 24 days --> 6-12 years - when kids start highschool
Teen: 24 days --> 12-18 years - when teens start university
Young Adult: 16 days --> 18-22 years - four years of higher education. (One semester = 2 days)
Adult: 172 days --> 22-65 years - when most adults retire
Elder: between 65-95 years - depends on aspiration level when transitioned

Now, if I can just figure out which lines to change to make it "12 days=1 year".

Or maybe I'm just over-thinking it, because it's supposed to make 4 days (the equivalent of 1 year) the actual year.

Offline AncientHighway

• Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2013, 03:22:54 AM »
It appears that mod is simply changes to the BCON.  Her numbers are set for 4 days = 1 year, so it would seem you would multiply her numbers by 3 for 12 days = 1 year.

Nepheris baby:    8 days baby min/max = 0x0007 (2 4-day years)
    MaryH baby:  24 days baby min/max = 0x0018 (2 12-day years)

Offline miros1

• Face Collector
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Face Collector
    • The Wooden Simolean
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2013, 08:41:09 AM »
24 day infancy?  < twitches >

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2013, 09:17:46 AM »
ZZ twitches, too!!!! :rolleyes:
"All the world's a Neighbourhood, and all the men and women merely Sims."  ZephyrZodiac with apologies to Willie Waggledagger.

Offline Imalia

• Toddling Tot
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2013, 11:37:16 AM »
I play with 20 day infants, because, proportion.  Yeah, it can get a little much but the rest of my world is set up to 24 days years and I'd rather deal with infants for 20 days (10 months) than have sims who by the time they are 30, seem like they have a 20 year old child.  NOTHING makes me twitch as much as that.

Incidentally MaryH, You can have all my mods that have everything as a consistant year length (seasons, semesters, aging, etc) they are all bcon based, and labelled so halving all the numbers should give you exactly what you want.  Or I used to run 12 day years, and might have the 12 day versions kicking around a backup folder somewhere.

What I would ideally like is not so much modified age stage lengths but something so the actual aging function would only run once every 24 days, so teens would still have their 14 days as standard, but they would only lose a day once every 24.  Sadly, I don't think that *is* possible because of the way the game counts/checks time.   This is because I am lazy and when I check how many days old a sim is (with acr's show my token stats for example), I don't want to have to divide by 24 in my head to figure out a years based age.

Also, you can have any ages variable, by the way.  Each age stage has a min and max number of days, if you make them the same, the age stage is static, if you make them different, the age stage will be varied.  Using this I've implemented varied puberty as well as varied adult and elder age stage lengths.  Season's don't all have to be the same either.  I have mine set up so winter is the longest season, followed by spring and autumn.  Cause I'm in the UK and I don't feel our seasons really match up to four even quarters. 
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 11:48:22 AM by Imalia »

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2013, 12:02:35 PM »
Aging once every 24 days would be somewhat complicated. My Slow Aging controller manages aging once every 7 days at best. But then, that isn't a BCON mod, meaning that NPC-aging is out.

I know how to create a mod so it could handle much longer ranges. But alas, as long as my PC is a wreck, that's not happening.

Offline Imalia

• Toddling Tot
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2013, 12:10:35 PM »
We should totally set up a BO computer repair kickstarter or something  :cheese: :lol:

Offline AncientHighway

• Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2013, 01:49:04 PM »
I don't think it would be difficult to set up a BHAV aging mod that had aging 1 in 12 or 24 or 365 days.  It's simply scrapping day of the week aging and basing age on days alive. 

The problem comes in finding all the impacts of longer lifespan, and hoping that one relatively simple fix could put everything in perspective.  I do mean everything, not just work and school.  Earning money, painting a picture, studying skills, using crafting tables, making friends, and the list would go on and on. 

Of course these same concerns apply to BCON based aging as well.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2013, 03:05:34 PM »
I just take the view that sims are not humans, they do not inhabit our Earth, but some distant planet with a vastly different rotation!

Offline Imalia

• Toddling Tot
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2013, 03:46:35 PM »
I see your point AH, but I already have much of that modded anyway with slower skills, relationships, higher bills, lower wages, extended pregnancy and so on and so on, I don't want my sims to life longer because it makes it easier, I just like having the extra time to get to know them.

Offline MaryH

• Tempermental Tyke
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2013, 08:00:18 PM »
What would really complicate matters is that I would really like to have the younger ones age up faster/or at their normal rates, because let's face it, toddlers are not all that interesting, and babies can be boring.

It would apply (perhaps) to children, definitely for teens and upwards. Those age groups would only age up every 12 days.

BTW, AH, I figured the way to do it would be the multiplier affect.

My question is rather stupid though-how do you pause the timer from moving from one day to the next? Suspending the time isn't shown in the mod, but it is part of it. Perhaps BO can enlighten us on how it works, because just aging alone won't do it, will it?

But, there is another option, too-to use the SimWardrobe Seasons' controller and set it for 1 day seasons, and also use this mod at the same time. That would solve the 'change the BCON' settings dilemma. But the babies and toddlers would still be aging at the same rate as a normal game would have them.

I wonder if one can do it with this mod (toddler and children aging faster) and keep it from breaking? Is there anything in that idea that would be impossible?

Thank you Imalia, for the kind offer of  all your aging mods! I will keep it in mind, for the future!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 08:05:32 PM by MaryH »

Offline AncientHighway

• Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2013, 08:38:49 PM »
Any age group you want left at Maxis aging are left alone.  You can have infants at 2 days, toddlers at 3 days, children at 8 days teens at 48 days or whatever you want.  The numbers you put in are how long a sim remains in that age group.

I'm not sure what you mean by suspending time.  No aging mod suspends time.  Each day at 6pm another day is ticked off but the only tick that really matters is the one that changes age group.  Each daily tick represents another month older so 12 times the number of years you want the sim in that age group is the number in the BCON and the only birthday the game cares about.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2013, 01:25:21 AM »
I don't suspend anything either. In my mod, it would just be a matter of an extra condition.

Normally, every day at 6pm, a day is subtracted from the 'days remaining' counter of every selectable sim that is not a Servo, Vampire or Zombie. My mod, though, performs an EXTRA test: it looks if the present day is on the sim's schedule for aging. If a sim has no aging days on their calendar, they have effectively become immortal because the aging mechanism will decide not to age that sim, every time it's asked to.

When my PC returns to the land of the functioning, I will have to figure out what happens to the 'total days alive' counter of a sim under slow or halted aging. If that counter is halted as well, the sim in question would never feel the effect of growing older. For example, Inteen's ACR's declining fertility rates would not be applicable.

Thanks go to AncientHighway for correcting a mistake I made.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 04:37:05 AM by BoilingOil »

Offline AncientHighway

• Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2013, 02:15:02 AM »
For example, Inteen's ACR'S declining fertility rates would not be applicable.

Corrected.

ACR does base fertility on days alive using Maxis aging.

Offline MaryH

• Tempermental Tyke
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2013, 02:44:51 AM »
Thanks for the info, AH-because I'd change only those groups (babies, toddlers and children) to age up at their normal, usual rate (or mine), while letting the others age as needed.

The 'suspension' of which I write is the 'time' concept you see on the screen when you're looking at a sim's profile on his age. (you know, that 'aging bar'.)

Now that I think of it, all aging (and time passage, actually) does only takes place at a home lot, with only those pixels occupying the lot affected,(unless one has the mod from AH to let more than the occupying pixels age up, of course)

Sometimes my brain doesn't remember what it's supposed to do, like think. :P

« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 02:49:16 AM by MaryH »

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2013, 04:28:13 AM »
For example, Inteen's ACR'S declining fertility rates would not be applicable.

Corrected.

ACR does base fertility on days alive using Maxis aging.

Thanks. I'll fix the post :)

Now that I think of it, all aging (and time passage, actually) does only takes place at a home lot, with only those pixels occupying the lot affected,(unless one has the mod from AH to let more than the occupying pixels age up, of course)

Sometimes my brain doesn't remember what it's supposed to do, like think. :P

You're right, mostly. In fact, any sims that you make selectable, will also start aging. So in stead of speaking of occupants of the current residential lot, maybe it's better to speak only of selectable sims on the current residential lot. Again, with the inclusion of Townies/NPCs if AH's mod is present, of course.

And the 'suspension' that you mention... At 6pm every day, when a sim's age is adjusted, the game will recall the sim's current life stage, the usual number of days in that stage, and the number of days this sim has remaining until the next birthday. For an adult, the max number normally is 28. If your sim has 7 days remaining, that means he lived 21 days in that stage. So the bar is divided up into 28 parts, and 21 of them will be filled. No magic, just computer enhanced maths.

Interrupting aging the way I do with a BHAV, will not change anything.
Changeing the number in a BCON mod will simply result in the game using the new values so it should still work out correctly.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 04:57:20 AM by BoilingOil »

Offline total_immortal

• Mushloving Mophead
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2013, 06:17:31 AM »
I'd like to see all sims age at the same time, even if they aren't on your current lot.  not sure if that is even possible though, is it? Perhaps an alternatve version of AH's mod that will age playable sims too? I only play one family, who I have currently on the 5th generation in Pleasantview. However, I had to manually age a few sims because it was absurd seeing Brandi Broke still alive and kicking as an adult during my 4th generation sim's life when my first generation sim was scrogging her lol. (Which by the way, when I first got the game I started to shack up with her and had her move in, only to realize she was pregnant. I figured the sims had a woohoo accident so I went about my business... then realized the kid wasn't mine.  So, my sim gave her the boot for her cheating ways.  Then I realized her tragic story lol.  I didn't take her back though, i was already making the moves on BOTH Dina and Nina Caliente :D)

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2013, 06:31:12 AM »
I don't think it's a good idea to even attempt aging all sims simultaneously. Remember that dependant upon what EPs one has installed, there may be up to about a thousand sims in any neighborhood. Aging them all at the same time would first of all freeze your game for quite a while.

And there's something else to take into account: all the sims that require age transitions to be performed, will be left anging because they are not present at the active lot. And what to think of all those new teens that need a primary aspiration?

No sane modder will even wish to try this, I fear. At least I'm certain I won't. Sorry total_immortal, but I don't think it's ever happening.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 06:33:25 AM by BoilingOil »

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2013, 06:43:21 AM »
Sims 3?

anything
anything