Author Topic: Default Clothing - Going where no man has gone before (well me anyway)  (Read 3549 times)

Offline AncientHighway

• Whippy Whippersnapper
I know there has to be tutorials out there on how to make default replacements.  I've seen plenty of default replacement clothing for NPCs on MTS, but to try to figure out their modding wiki takes a PhD or 5 in Disorganization.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Offline MaryH

• Tempermental Tyke
  • Otherwise known as Mary of H.
Now, because it's themed for the medieval period, you might be put off, but the Plumbob Keep (otherwise known as "Medieval Sims") has a thread or two about replacing NPC clothing for that period.

It might be of help to you in your quest:
http://www.medievalsims.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2605&p=29558&hilit=NPC+clothing#p29558

Perhaps..

Offline miros1

• Face Collector
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Face Collector
    • The Wooden Simolean
If you want a recolor on the same mesh, you just export the texture resource to a new file, then export the texture itself to recolor and re-import.

If you want a different mesh, you need Marja's tutorial.  That can even handle meshes with different numbers of groups.  Will get you the link in a few!

Offline AncientHighway

• Whippy Whippersnapper
Ultimately my goal is to provide suitable clothes for NPCs of a different age from the Maxis NPCs.  Most of the clothing can be satisfied from career clothes and perhaps one or two from the everyday/casual category, so I plan on making none, not replacing meshes, and not making any recolors (that would really be a stretch for me).  I have looked at Marja's tutorial, and it's way beyond what I need.  I'm looking at something more in line with the default replacement maid uniforms that Atreya (MTS) did, simply using the BV housekeeper and bell hop uniforms as replacement maid uniforms.

Now whether that ultimately helps me, I can't say, but I figure I need to start someplace.

I may need to get into uncharted areas for me such as changing pointers in 3D ID Referenceing File (3IDR), maybe Material Definition (TXMT), and all those other files of mystery dealing with things beyond my comprehension.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Superannuated Coffeeholic
    • Zephyr Zodiac @ 4-Shared
Have you looked at the NPC Replacer from www.simwardrobe.com ?
"All the world's a Neighbourhood, and all the men and women merely Sims."  ZephyrZodiac with apologies to Willie Waggledagger.

http://www.4shared.com/u/yCrnLoEP/Zephyr_Zodiac.html

Offline AncientHighway

• Whippy Whippersnapper
I hadn't, but after taking a look at the download page, it looks like it will replace outfits with custom outfits.  Not what I'm looking to do.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
Pity, it would have simplified everything!  I presume you want to use different default clothing for different age groups, rather than adapt the existing clothing? 
"All the world's a Neighbourhood, and all the men and women merely Sims."  ZephyrZodiac with apologies to Willie Waggledagger.

Offline AncientHighway

• Whippy Whippersnapper
I want an adult nanny to be dressed as a teacher.  If the elder nanny wears the same, that's fine.
I want an adult repairman to be dressed like a bricklayer in the architect carrer, which is the same as the elder repairman.

I have the mod all but written for the configurable ages of NPCs.  I know what I want for clothing and have replaced the elder nanny's.  I think I will give the NPC replacer a try, which means first I have to extract the clothes, but since my output file either way will be extracted clothing or parts thereof, that won't be a problem.

Getting the game to realize this adult nanny needs work clothes is another issue, which if can't be solved means NPCs out of their age group still need to be manually dressed.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
I'd be interested to hear how the NPC Replacer works for you.

Offline miros1

• Face Collector
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Face Collector
    • The Wooden Simolean
Maybe you can use the file made by the NPC replacer as a guide, since you're sort of creating new NPCs.

Thank you so much for including Headmistresses!

Offline AncientHighway

• Whippy Whippersnapper
NPC Replacer is a no go.

First I'd have to go into CAS, enable debug to get the file names needed, then SimPE and make all the clothes I want visible in CAS/Bodyshop.  Then I'd have to clone it in Bodyshop.  Then NPC Replacer might to it's magic.  Maybe a custom content creator can do it with fewer steps, but I'm a modder so I have to use the drawn out method.
OR
I go into CAS, enable debug and get the file names I want, go into SimPE and make the two or three changes need, and save the new file.  Sunni's blank NPC templates makes this method a snap.  Thanks to Mary of H.

Offline MaryH

• Tempermental Tyke
  • Otherwise known as Mary of H.
Well, my advice did work! I was afraid I'd sent AH on a fruitless quest for things that he didn't need to do..forgot that Sunni had done the NPC replacement templates as part of the replacing all the clothes for the era.

You're welcome!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 02:56:26 PM by MaryH »

Offline miros1

• Face Collector
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Face Collector
    • The Wooden Simolean
Thank you, MaryH!  I'll have to add that link to my "creator resources" page.

Added:  While poking around, I found this discussion of work clothes.  Looks like a little change to the Init BHAV to me: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?p=395375#post395375
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 05:29:50 PM by miros1 »

Offline AncientHighway

• Whippy Whippersnapper
That is one way of doing it, but that requires using some mod like Chritianlov's clothing rack to set the casual clothes to the desired work outfit.  Changing an NPC to a different age group doesn't even require the change that thread suggests, it will leave them in casual, which still needs to be set to the desired outfit.

My goal is to force the NPC into the work outfit without the player having to manually set the casual clothes (one of the things I picked up on as desired in the original thread).  I can change the default work clothes, thanks to Sunni's work, but that only works for the default age of the NPC.  My elder nanny now shows up looking like a school teacher, but my adult nanny wears the mismatched top and bottom the game randomly assigns (that may be another potential mod - force townies into one piece outfits).  My adult male maid show up in the bellhop uniform recolor, but and elder will be in everyday (making a note to test young adult maid to see what he or she wears).

Offline miros1

• Face Collector
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Face Collector
    • The Wooden Simolean
You got rid of the stupid ruffled shirts? Awesome!

What happens if you make the uniform multiple ages? The elder won't have the potbelly/droopy boobs and saddlebag thighs, but I could live with that!

Offline AncientHighway

• Whippy Whippersnapper
Well, that's what I'm working on.  If I change the age of an NPC from the default age, the NPC will show up in casual clothes.

The maid, male and female, are actually Atreya's work found on MTS.  You don't need what I'm doing to get those into your game right now.

Offline miros1

• Face Collector
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Face Collector
    • The Wooden Simolean
I meant changing the age flags on the uniform to 0x58 (YA-elder).  Doesn't help with teens tho, unless you want them to look "chunky."

Offline AncientHighway

• Whippy Whippersnapper
Ah, yes.  That might happen but I like he different walk styles.

EDIT:
Changing the age flag in the Property Set did do the trick. 
The repairman was giving me fits, like one step forward, three steps back until I made that change and took all the modification failures out of the original AdultNPCs mod.  Simple change to make default replacement, and the different ages keep their walk and posture.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 09:58:28 AM by AncientHighway »

anything