Author Topic: Keeping your TS2 installation as small as possible.  (Read 13736 times)

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • We'll jump off that bridge when we come to it.
    • Leefish
Keeping your TS2 installation as small as possible.
« on: December 02, 2012, 10:32:16 AM »
** HOW TO REMOVE USELESS STUFF FROM YOUR TS2 INSTALLATION **

The following is a set of 4 easy steps you can take to remove all the redundant/worthless crap that takes up precious Hard Drive space on you PC after installing TS2.

The instructions are copied exactly as I found them (MATY?) & were written for an XP install, so Vista/W7 users will need to make extra certain they are in the right folders!

!!!!! IMPORTANT !!!!!

You will be removeing stuff from were the GAME is installed (Program Files) & NOT from were all your custom content & stuff goes (My Documents) so if you don't see the folders mentioned in the instructions, you're in the wrong place!

Also note that Step #3 will delete that stupid movie from playing everytime you launch the game, so if you like that stupid movie you should skip that step!

Go to were the game itself is installed:

......Program Files > EA Games > Sims 2 (or other EP/SP: they all need to be cleaned!)

STEP #1 : Delete the "Support" directory.

The only thing worth saving in there is the readme file, and even that just barely. This saves 10MB per EP/SP for me.

STEP #2 : In the TSBin directory are a whole bunch of executables with names like "TS2UPD.EXE".

These are patches that were run once, when you installed the EP.
Yes, some idiot decided that required copying them to the hard drive, not just run them off the CD/DVD.
Delete that and you can recover up 150MB per EP/SP installed, with absolutely no drawback.

STEP #3 : In TSData/Res/Movies there is an annoying abomination named "ealogo_audio.movie".

Delete them, the game doesn't care.
2MB per EP/SP.

STEP #4 : TSData/Res/Locale contains a whole bunch of locales, plus the one you care about.

Destroy all but one of the subfolders here, and you can save about 50MB.

(Remember to rinse & repete these steps for every EP/SP you have installed!)

********** end of instructions **********

"BO, Sir, you rock! :bow:" - TheISZ                           (banner design: eefje00704/Eva)

Offline katsim

• Mushloving Mophead
Re: Keeping your TS2 installation as small as possible.
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 10:39:28 AM »
 :yay: Thank you for this guide  :yay:

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 10:41:01 AM »
My pleasure, Katsim. Let me know if something seems unclear, and I'll try to clarify :D

"BO, Sir, you rock! :bow:" - TheISZ                           (banner design: eefje00704/Eva)

Offline venusking

• Toddling Tot
  • Download junkie
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 11:47:49 AM »
Thanks for the info BO. Will this make the game load quicker or is it just to save hard drive space?

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Superannuated Coffeeholic
    • Zephyr Zodiac @ 4-Shared
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 12:08:22 PM »
Just saves hard drive space.  The only way to decrease load time, I think, is to cut down on the size of your Downloads folder and, to some extent, your Lot Catalog.  (Therefore makes sense, if you install a custom lot as a one-off, once installed in your hood, then, provided you have a back-up elsewhere, delete it in-game from the lot bin.)
"All the world's a Neighbourhood, and all the men and women merely Sims."  ZephyrZodiac with apologies to Willie Waggledagger.

http://www.4shared.com/u/yCrnLoEP/Zephyr_Zodiac.html

Offline Dark_Author

• Administrator
  • Whining Whelp
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 05:21:22 PM »
STEP #4 : TSData/Res/Locale contains a whole bunch of locales, plus the one you care about.

Err...which one do I care about?

Click On Those, Please?

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 05:54:42 PM »
The one for you language and nationality of course. And if that isn't in the list, it's probably en-US and totally unimportant. That's probably the standard language, and thus didn't need localization.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 06:11:36 PM »
I think that must be the case.  My game has always been in US English, and I no longer have those locale folders at all, so I must have removed them quite safely.
"All the world's a Neighbourhood, and all the men and women merely Sims."  ZephyrZodiac with apologies to Willie Waggledagger.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 07:02:28 PM »
I chose to install in UK English where possible, and in some Expansions, there's no en-GB folder, so I guess you're right, ZZ.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 11:18:10 AM by BoilingOil »

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 07:29:57 PM »
Well, since Simlish is spoken with an American accent, somehow US English seemed to me the right way to go! :smile:

Offline Dark_Author

• Administrator
  • Whining Whelp
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 12:00:35 PM »
Wow, I honestly didn't think they would have separated US and UK english at all, since they're so similar.  I learned something!

Click On Those, Please?

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 12:53:00 PM »
Yeah, they're very similar, but not really identical anymore. Yet I think they simply used the same English, and made it available under both names. You know how the EAxians are known for their laziness, right?

But actually, it's more about some settings. For example: in en-US installation, the clock is by defalt set to AM/PM and virtually impossible to change to 24-hr clock. That's why I use en-GB: it's easier to set to 'military time', which I prefer.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 11:15:13 AM by BoilingOil »

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2012, 04:23:31 PM »
Yes, I believe that's something you and Pescado have in common.  It's always military time in his bunker! :smile:

Actually, D_A, in some respects, US English is less advanced (and therefore, I think, less degenerate) than UK English.  For example, it's still common usage, I think,  for an American to write "I have been here these three weeks", which I think changed to "for three weeks" in Victorian times over here.

Offline simsfreq

• Talkative Toddler
    • My Sims 2 Livejournal
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2012, 09:41:13 AM »
I use UK English too, but it's annoying that sometimes modders/creators don't think to change the strings for English UK. Actually this stumped me for ages when I was creating my custom careers!
Stories, gameplay discussion (ramblings really...) and posts about my creations and ideas for creations. http://simsfreq.livejournal.com/

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2012, 10:03:07 AM »
I think I used to select UK English for Sims 1, but the dialogue was still American....

Offline Dark_Author

• Administrator
  • Whining Whelp
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2012, 11:33:19 AM »
ZZ, we definately are taught to write the "for three weeks" variant over here.  I know one of the differences between US and UK English is that we use "z" where you guys use "s" in some instances...like the word "organized" (you guys would spell it with an "s" where the "z" is, right)?  I've also read about a couple of minor differences in the meaning of the same word between the two....like the word "pissed" I heard means "drunk" in the UK, while here it means "really angry".  I've always been really interested in this kind of stuff.  I was an English major before I switched to psychology, so this conversation is really interesting.

Click On Those, Please?

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2012, 02:41:12 PM »
We use *pissed* in both senses.  However, a rubber here is an eraser.....

Offline yetyak

• Tempermental Tyke
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2012, 06:41:45 PM »
 :lol:

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2012, 03:06:19 AM »
This thread has made me realize that I mostly use a non-existent 'dialect' of English, where most terms and phrases are based on US English, but the spelling is mostly UK English.

For example: centre in stead of center, and realize in stead of realise, while a rubber is a condom, and pissed is angry. I'd sooner use shit-faced to describe an intoxicated condition, although I also like plastered. I must be off my rocker!

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2012, 03:30:11 AM »
I think you probably use *Mid-Atlantic* English... as many of us do these days.  I tend to think the language is converging somewhat, and there were more differences in the days before Telstar....

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2012, 07:54:33 AM »
According to this, in the broadest sense, I think you are correct, ZZ. Not all of it seems to apply to me, but much of it does. From now on, I'll refer to my English that way: Mid-Atlantic :)

Offline Dark_Author

• Administrator
  • Whining Whelp
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2012, 04:06:37 PM »
My english is a combination of the US standard-dialect, and a bit of the southern dialect (my mother is from Texas).

Click On Those, Please?

Offline Duine

• Mushloving Mophead
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2013, 05:39:41 AM »
Should each and every ep/sp have a tsbin folder? Pets Collection and University don't have it. I'm in the computer folders, not downloads. 

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2013, 06:03:19 AM »
I don't know how this works for the Collections, because I only have the original EPs and SPs. EA has done some weird shit with the Collections, which makes life a lot harder for players and modders alike.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2013, 06:36:25 AM »
My University folder (I'm on my unused for sims computer (my favourite is sick) has a TSBin folder.  (I'm only part-way through installing on here, and haven't got rid of anything yet.)

Offline Duine

• Mushloving Mophead
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2013, 08:28:37 AM »
Hmm, maybe I should just reinstall again.  Luckily I didn't start playing yet so it's okay.  I've just been setting up folders and reading stuff, purposely haven't played just in case.  I've got tons of patience so I don't mind and it didn't take long to do.  Question though, is there some kind of cleaner type program to be sure everything is gone after I reinstall?  I know Sims1 has one.  I've had the whole set of Sims since they came out, interesting trying to play it after Sims2.  :smile:

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2013, 09:14:55 AM »
There's nothing like that, you need a registry cleaner to make sure all entries have gone.  However, they've improved the uninstall set-up, so stuff doesn't usually get left behind, although if you use Add & Remove Programs, then it may happen occasionally.  Use the Start/AllPrograms/TS2 - Uninstall etc. then it should always be OK.

Offline severe

• Babbling Baby
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2013, 03:05:19 PM »
Hi Bob I have a question about step 2 in the TSBIN, the file that I am suppose to delete does not have the EXE after TS2UPD, It has the game icon with the words TS2UPD. And in step 3 in my double deluxe folder I have two files I have the ealogo_audio.movie file and intro_eng_audio.movie file, do I delete both? thank you

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2013, 03:58:28 PM »
TS2UPD is the copy of the patch installer that EA thinks we need to keep.  You can delete it.

I'll leave it to BO (not Bob) to explain the rest.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2013, 04:42:09 PM »
As I said earlier: I have no idea how it works with the Collections, because I don't have any of those. Double Deluxe *is* a collection, so don't pin me down on the following.

Anyway, the step in the top post ONLY mentions the removal of the ealogo_audio.movie file. Since it does not even *mention* the other file, I'd say there is no reason for confusion, and no need to ask for help:
  • if you follow the plan to the letter, you do EXACTLY as the top post tells you, and you remove only one file.
  • if you feel daring, you delete both. But if it turns out bad, that's not my fault.
  • if you're really smart, however, you would DELETE the file that I mentioned, and RENAME/MOVE the file that I didn't mention, to see what happens. That way, if the game doesn't blow up, you can delete it later, but if it DOES blow up, you can move the file back.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2013, 05:36:41 PM »
Which is how I discovered what was safe to delete in the local/help sections, long before there was a tutorial.....

Offline AncientHighway

• Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2013, 05:42:03 PM »
This is another one of those posts that I haven't looked at until someone added something to it.

objects.package.  Every EP has one.  But the only one that really matters is the one from the EP you run your game off of.  All the others are ignored.  Completely.  Utterly.  Absolutely.  If I had the full game on my box, I'd start digging through the files and see how many other files are obsolete because of newer EPs and I'd even test out my theory that they could safely be deleted.  But alas, it's not installed.  I haven't gotten the itch to reinstall it again.  But as many of my posts, I put it up here and maybe someone runs with it.

Offline severe

• Babbling Baby
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2013, 05:50:10 PM »
Boiling oil
Sorry about the name misspelling it was a mistake I was really tried when I was asking for your help. I did follow your directions I was just trying to make sure that I did not do something wrong, but reading your post seems liked I might have made you mad or something.  Why would you say if your smart? This is one of the reasons I don't like posting on forums. It was my mistake I did not realize  posting on here is like posting on MATY. Don't worry Boiling oil I will go back to lurking and never bother you again with any of my stupid questions.

zephyrzodiac thank you for your help, and it was innocently a mistake about boiling oil name.

Offline AncientHighway

• Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2013, 06:48:48 PM »
severe, I think you are taking BO's post completely the wrong way.
BO never said anything about the misspelling of the name/abbreviation.  ZZ (zodiaczephyr) did (purposefully left wrong so ZZ can comment on it  haha).
BO's post just reiterated what he said already about not being able to speak confidently about the collection series, to include DD.  Then he offered his thoughts on your question about the two movie files.  Now being Dutch and speaking more of the UK English variant than US variant, he offered the comment "if you're really smart..." rather than "the smart thing to do..."  He wasn't questioning your intelligence or trying to put you down in any manner.  It's more of the difference between someone with ESL skills based on UK communicating with someone I assume has US English.  BO's skills with English are, by the way, very good, so it's more the the UK/US thing.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2013, 07:08:36 PM »
I do try to comment in a helpful manner, Visiting Just(ice)!

And severe, we do not deliberately try to sound like Maty - many of us will not post there because of bad experiences in the past - so I hope you will take the plunge and ask whenever you need advice.  We will try our hardest not to bite! :smile:
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 07:11:18 PM by zephyrzodiac »

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2013, 08:38:06 PM »
Severe, if I were mad at you for some reason, you would certainly know, because I would make it very obvious. I'm not a subtle man who hides his feelings in subtext. All I did, was give you a set of multiple alternative ways to figure out for yourself how you wanted to approach the situation.

The phrase "if you're really smart" was NOT in any way intended to doubt your abilities. It's simply a fact that not everyone will dare to try everything that's suggested, and you can make out for yourself how far you want to go. Option one the simplest, option two a little bolder, option three the most advanced. Some people would come up with one of these three solutions for themselves. What you do with my suggestions is up to you. You've decided to take it as an insult... Pity, but I'll still sleep well.

The only thing I *do* make a point of, though, is that I'm BoilingOil, not Boiling oil.

JustVisiting did a great job translating my intentions, by the way. Thank you, my friend. :thumb:
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 08:42:05 PM by BoilingOil »

Offline Duine

• Mushloving Mophead
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2013, 10:28:12 AM »
Before adding all the EP/SPs I had uninstalled backwards thru the folders.  I didn't think it would work right if I just dumped folders to recycle bin, the easy way is usually wrong lol.  Where do I find this registry cleaner? I'll run it just in case. 

I've been play testing just a bit before I uninstall again, there seems to be a small bit of weirdness but I got the feeling I either missed a patch or put 1 part out of order.  Oh, I also read last night there was a 2nd patch for Freetime, do I need to do that patch too?  I also had a problem in BV where I sent 2 test sims on vacation and they could not claim a door.  didn't find info on that but sometimes I'm not sure how to word a search.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2013, 11:45:28 AM »
There were two or three patches for FT because the screwed up the first ones.  The one that is available at MTS or Simthing is the latest one, and you should make sure you have that.
http://www.piriform.com/

http://www.macecraft.com/jv16-powertools-2012/  (shareware)

http://www.321download.com/LastFreeware/index.html

Offline AncientHighway

• Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2013, 11:50:45 AM »
If you've uninstalled everything and try to reinstall and succeed, the registry cleaner isn't as important right away.  Still not a bad idea periodically, depending on how much you install and uninstall programs.

Yes, FT had to have fixes made to it not just once but twice.  Since the first patch was removed with the second was published, the FT patch you used most likely contains the contents of both patches.

Vacations with BV are glitchy, or were so last time I used them.  I gave up using them after that, but took advantage of all the goodies that came with the EP.  Go on vacation at risk, or stay at home risk free.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2013, 11:55:45 AM »
It's really the hotels, I think, that are majorly glitchy, although I have managed to use them with a bit of a problem with sims registering, but usually solveable in the end.  Vacation homes have never caused me a problem and I often have sims take friends with them (Inge's teleporter cat to make the guests selectable so they don't go home at bed time...) so non-residents with the holiday want can have it satisfied for nothing!

Offline AncientHighway

• Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2013, 12:22:03 PM »
One thing that helps with the hotels is to change all the stairs from staircases to modular stairs.  It seems like every time I had a sim that wanted to use the staircase, someone or something on the other end was blocking it, and there was no way for me to get it unblocked except for cheats.

People go to hotels and can never leave, ala Hotel California.  You can't play the sims on vacation because you told them to leave.  They never arrive home, and you can't play the lot with any from the household still there.  Convoluted means of getting them back.
People go on vacation and never make it there.  Same bit as above.
Those were probably the more problematic aspects of BV.  Glitchy hotels and camp grounds can be worked around, yet frustrating in their own right.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2013, 02:15:45 PM »
I've heard so many of such horror stories about vacations, that I'm utterly wary of them. In fact, before sending anyone on a vacation, I always first make a backup copy of the entire hood *because* of those horror stories. And in the end, it always turned out that I had no problems at all. Sims went on a vacation, had tons of fun, and came back home without a glitch.

I'm not going to change the routine, though: I don't send many sims on a vacation, but whenever I do, I will make a backup first! Because my luck might eventually run out...

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2013, 04:00:57 PM »
I mostly do the same, unless I already backed up within the last week and would only need to replay a few lots.  But like you, BO, I never had a problem getting sims back home, but then I never send students, jic!  I found OFB pre-patch was far more problematical with sims getting lost in between an owned business and their home lot!

anything