Author Topic: Making TS2 Custon Content work properly under Windows 7  (Read 6762 times)

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • We'll jump off that bridge when we come to it.
    • Leefish
Making TS2 Custon Content work properly under Windows 7
« on: October 27, 2012, 01:06:46 PM »
When you install TS2 on a Windows 7 system, the EA Games folder will be created TWICE: once in your own Documents folder, and once under Public Documents.
So when you open your "My Documents" Folder, you'll find TWO "EA Games" folders.

Now here's the problem: The installer will install all CC in the Public folder, while the game only reads CC from your OWN folder. So anything you install, will NOT be found.
If you delete the Public version of this folder, it will simply be automatically re-created by either the game or the installer, so that's no solution to the problem. The only way to prevent this crap from happening, is to do the following:

1. Open the C Drive in Windows Explorer
2. Then go to "Users", "Public", "Public Documents"
3. Open the "EA Games" folder, and move everything you find in there to a new folder (on the Desktop, for example)
4. Now click the "back" button in Windows Explorer, to return to "Public Documents"
5. Right-click the folder "EA Games" and select "Properties"
6. On the properties page, tick both the boxes at the bottom, saying "Read only" and Hidden".
7. Click "Save"

Your problem is now solved. If you open "My Documents", you'll see only ONE "EA Games" folder, and everything you put in there, will be found by the game. The Public EA Games folder exists, so it will not be re-created. But since access to this folder is restricted, no system will ever be able to use it again: neither you, nor the installer. Thus, everything is BOUND to end up in your personal EA Games folder, where the game can find it. Problem solved once and for all time!

If there was stuff in the now inaccessible folder, which you moved to the Desktop, then you can now look in there for stuff that you might want to move to the proper folders.

ETA: Updated to deal with files and sub-folders in EA Games, in response to a question by LilSister.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 04:06:13 PM by BoilingOil »

"BO, Sir, you rock! :bow:" - TheISZ                           (banner design: eefje00704/Eva)

Offline simsfreq

• Talkative Toddler
    • My Sims 2 Livejournal
Re: Making TS2 Custon Content work properly under Windows 7
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 01:46:27 PM »
Brilliant BO, thank you very much :) I had wondered what that extra empty EA Games folder was about!
Stories, gameplay discussion (ramblings really...) and posts about my creations and ideas for creations. http://simsfreq.livejournal.com/

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 01:51:58 PM »
You're welcome, Simsfreq.

It's a Win7 quirk that really upsets the way the game works. I've seen quite a few people mention that when they installed cc from a sims2pack, it just wouldn't show up in-game. This extra folder is the guilty party.

"BO, Sir, you rock! :bow:" - TheISZ                           (banner design: eefje00704/Eva)

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Superannuated Coffeeholic
    • Zephyr Zodiac @ 4-Shared
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 02:08:18 PM »
Now, that's why I installed everything manually on my laptop.... Now I won't have to.  Thanks, BO!
"All the world's a Neighbourhood, and all the men and women merely Sims."  ZephyrZodiac with apologies to Willie Waggledagger.

http://www.4shared.com/u/yCrnLoEP/Zephyr_Zodiac.html

Offline LilSister

• Toddling Tot
    • LilSister's Sims Family Affair
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 03:13:45 PM »
Thanks BO this explains why that second folder appeared again after I removed it;perhaps this will also solve my problem of the HCDU not being able to read my DL folder. Got a question: Do I save for that folder only or should I include all files and subfolders associated with it?

« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 03:16:49 PM by LilSister »

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 04:00:49 PM »
@ZephyrZodiac: You're welcome, dear. Manual install of cc may sometimes be preferable, but most of the time, I also prefer it not to be necessary :P

@Lilsister: No, I would advise you to move those files and subfolders out of there first: move it to a special folder on the Desktop, so you can sort it out later, and move stuff to the proper EA Games folder if you wish. Once you've moved that stuff out, the EA Games folder will be empty, and your question becomes redundant.

I'll update to top post to include this info. Thank you for making me aware of the omission. :P

Offline Orilon

• Toddling Tot
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 04:20:23 PM »
LilSister, the only way to fix HCDU not reading your DL folder is to create a The Sims 2 Folder and create a Downloads folder and move the Downloads inside the The Sims 2 folder. Move all your mods inside that and run the HCDU. You can move them back to your original DL folder after the report is generated.

Offline LilSister

• Toddling Tot
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2012, 05:02:00 PM »
 :thumb:@BO

Orilon thanks you for responding...you must have received my call through the universe :cheese: I remembered reading about this very thing and I couldn't find the post. Now just so I understand - when you say create a folder - do I name it "Sims 2" or "The Sims 2" and where do I put it?

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2012, 05:06:07 PM »
You put it in the now only available "My Documents/EA Games" folder, and you name it "The Sims 2"

Offline LilSister

• Toddling Tot
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2012, 05:11:31 PM »
Please be patient with me... I have three folders in the now lone EA Folder: The Sims 2, The Sims 2 Store Edition & The Sims 2 Double Deluxe - can I use "The Sims 2" folder that already exit exist?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 05:20:50 PM by LilSister »

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2012, 05:16:43 PM »
Yes, that's the ideal one to use. You wouldn't be able to create a second folder with that name anyway :)

Offline LilSister

• Toddling Tot
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2012, 05:55:48 PM »
Thank you Orilon & BO!!! Wow! So that's how it's supposed to work :P I just ran it and I'm pleasantly surprised that I had only 45 conflicts - I thought for sure it was going to blow-up  :biglaugh: the majority are between CJ & Pescado's mods that essentially do the same thing-I got to choose between the two. Something that really concerns me is that I have Moniques Computer and ATM - The Computer is updated for Apartment Life aparently the ATM is not which I thought I took care of based on someones advice. BO would you be willing to take a look at it for me?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 05:59:43 PM by LilSister »

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2012, 06:20:05 PM »
Look at what? The ATM was never updated for AL, because no update was required. I have it in my game with all EPs/SPs, and it works alright.

I would look into it, if you ran into a problem in-game with it. But since you have no in-game errors to report - and no error-logs to upload/attach - there's nothing I can - or need to - do.

Offline LilSister

• Toddling Tot
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2012, 06:28:36 PM »
Sorry BO...I posted the report in the "Too Many Hacks Conflict" thread.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2012, 07:13:54 PM »
Yeah, but that's not an error report, is it? An HCDU report doesn't tell us whether anything is wrong with a mod. The ATM  has not caused any errors in your game, so there is no reason for me to investigate.

Offline LilSister

• Toddling Tot
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2012, 07:32:58 PM »
Understood :thumb:

Offline yetyak

• Tempermental Tyke
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2012, 08:09:17 PM »
If you want to copy some of your downloads from your W7 computer to another one through your home network, you will only be able to get them out of the public EA GAMES folder.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Superannuated Coffeeholic
    • Zephyr Zodiac @ 4-Shared
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2012, 08:12:26 PM »
One of the reasons why I always keep a back up of all my downloads elsewhere, usually on my second HD.  If they aren't anywhere within the game folders, there wouldn't be a problem.
"All the world's a Neighbourhood, and all the men and women merely Sims."  ZephyrZodiac with apologies to Willie Waggledagger.

http://www.4shared.com/u/yCrnLoEP/Zephyr_Zodiac.html

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2012, 09:29:30 PM »
It's also possible, I guess, to just copy whatever packages you want to ANY public folder, and move them over the network... Why would one need the EA Games dolder for that?

Offline yetyak

• Tempermental Tyke
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2012, 05:27:32 PM »
To be certain the right files are transferred, I suppose, if you are not doing it yourself.  We do a lot of file sharing of game stuff in this house.  Only one person out of four does not sim.

anything
anything