Author Topic: Can someone try and help me understand how risky odds work?  (Read 9413 times)

Offline gcgb

• Drooling Diaperfiller
Can someone try and help me understand how risky odds work?
« on: September 28, 2012, 08:23:43 AM »
I have some sims that I've set their risky odds to a very low number or even 0% yet they're able to get pregnant easily.

My 0% percent sim got pregnant and my 2% sim is already on her third kid. I'm thinking either there's some kind of mod conflicting with ACR 2.0 or I'm not setting up something right.

Here are the settings for my 0% sim

Does 'risky odds' and 'try for baby' have different percent chances of getting pregnant?
Should I be changing the 'Change odds' category to whatever percentage I want them to have with the risky woohoo as well?
This has been driving me crazy and I just want to get it right lol  :rant:

For my 0% chance sim I've just turned the option of being able to get pregnant off but I have still my other low chance sims to figure out.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Superannuated Coffeeholic
    • Zephyr Zodiac @ 4-Shared
Re: Can someone try and help me understand how risky odds work?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 09:44:11 AM »
Risky odds are to do with those odds that apply to woohoo, and do not affect Try for Baby.  Also, you need to look at what the odds are in the sim's individual Profile, rather than just what shows up when you set the odds. 
"All the world's a Neighbourhood, and all the men and women merely Sims."  ZephyrZodiac with apologies to Willie Waggledagger.

http://www.4shared.com/u/yCrnLoEP/Zephyr_Zodiac.html

Offline gcgb

• Drooling Diaperfiller
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 09:48:56 AM »
Also, you need to look at what the odds are in the sim's individual Profile, rather than just what shows up when you set the odds.

How do I do that?

So if I wanted my sim to have a 4% chance of getting pregnant with woohoo AND TFB would I set both of the odds to four percent?

Offline Dark_Author

• Administrator
  • Whining Whelp
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 09:50:55 AM »
Yep.  But, like ZZ said, you also have to check the individual sims.

Click On Those, Please?

Offline gcgb

• Drooling Diaperfiller
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 10:18:37 AM »
I'm sorry I'm not fully understanding what you mean by check the individuals sims.  :unsure:

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 01:01:11 PM »
Find the menu item *Show my token Stats* when you click on the adjuster.  You should then see all applicable statistics for the active sim.
"All the world's a Neighbourhood, and all the men and women merely Sims."  ZephyrZodiac with apologies to Willie Waggledagger.

Offline gcgb

• Drooling Diaperfiller
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 03:37:21 PM »
Thanks. Thats where it tells you who's 'The One' their autonomy level and etc correct?

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 07:02:33 PM »
Yes.

Did you read the instructions that came with the download?

Offline gcgb

• Drooling Diaperfiller
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 07:15:29 PM »
I did, I'm just trying to figure out how the math works but I'm too stupid to understand.

When my sim is married and she has sex with her SO, the chances are from the 'Change odds' category right? For instance on that picture she has a 63% chance of getting pregnant when she TFB am I right? But when she wasn't married and was just dating her husband it comes from the risky odds, which is why she never got pregnant before right?

How do I make it so the 'change odds' category matches to their risky odds category? I feel like when I change that number even my very fertile sims have a very very low chance of getting pregnant.

Am I making sense?  :blush:

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2012, 08:16:37 PM »
Sometimes you have to change odds more than once, till you get to the number you want.

Bear in mind that as your female sim ages, the odds for both risky and TFB will decrease.  I find they are at their most fertile when they first return from college... as if the game is making up for all those years when they *couldn't* get pregnant!

Offline simsfreq

• Talkative Toddler
    • My Sims 2 Livejournal
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2012, 02:03:53 PM »
I can never figure this out either and I've read the documentation a million times.

I *think* the Change Odds (63%) setting on your menu is the sim's odds for falling pregnant via TFB. This changes with age if you have your tokens set to "Dynamic" - your setting is "Static" on the screenshot, so it shouldn't change.

Then the Risky odds are the odds of falling pregnant via Woohoo. This stays at whatever you set it as no matter what token setting you have. I adjust mine based on how neat my sim is.

There is another setting somewhere which applies to the chance of them choosing TFB over Woohoo. (Or - I forget, is this decided by other factors e.g. whether they're allowed to TFB outside of marriage, their ideal # of kids etc?)

If you want to change odds globally (for all sims in your hood) you need to go to the Global Odds section rather than the Sim Settings section. Then choose your Global defaults - these will be applied to any new sims aging up to teen (when they first get a token). If you want to change odds for existing teens and older then you need to go into Global Overrides and set these, these will override any sim's personal setting though, even if you change it later.

If I'm wrong in any of this someone please correct me, but this is as I understand it.
Stories, gameplay discussion (ramblings really...) and posts about my creations and ideas for creations. http://simsfreq.livejournal.com/

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2012, 02:39:26 PM »
The Static setting doesn't, I think, affect age-related odds.  It merely stops the dynamic setting from changing the setting you have chosen, but as a sim ages, their odds of becoming pregnant will still lessen. I also think a global setting will affect all your sims unless you change their setting after you have set the global.  I may well be wrong, though.

Offline simsfreq

• Talkative Toddler
    • My Sims 2 Livejournal
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2012, 01:25:00 AM »
Yes, there are three options for global:

Global default, which will set what everyone gets when they're first given a token, but not (I think) change any existing sim's setting
Global setting, which I presume changes everyone's setting at once whether they have one or not, but if you then go and change any individual sim's settings, they should stick.
Global override is the most severe and will always override a sim's individual setting.
Stories, gameplay discussion (ramblings really...) and posts about my creations and ideas for creations. http://simsfreq.livejournal.com/

Offline gcgb

• Drooling Diaperfiller
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2012, 11:00:39 AM »
Is there a way to make it so when they woohoo it's always a casual woohoo and not TFB? I just don't see why you have a bigger chance when you TFB? It should be the same no matter what, at least that's how I'd like it!

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • We'll jump off that bridge when we come to it.
    • Leefish
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2012, 11:06:01 AM »
It doesn't make sense for TFB and 'normal' woohoo to have the same odds for pregnancy. Sims who are TFB-ing, are TRYING to get pregnant, as in NOT using protection. When doing 'normal' woohoo, it as assumed that they will try to prevent getting pregnant. In such cases there's still a chance for pregnancy, but it's much less, because it depends on accidents.

"BO, Sir, you rock! :bow:" - TheISZ                           (banner design: eefje00704/Eva)

Offline simsfreq

• Talkative Toddler
    • My Sims 2 Livejournal
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2012, 03:17:45 PM »
There's an option you can set somewhere to disable TFB yes. You'd have to look through the menus and/or the documentation to find it, I don't know off the top of my head where it is.

I tend to see it as TFB = unprotected sex and woohoo = using a condom :P A condom can always split, but it's much more likely you'll get pregnant if you don't use one at all!

Your sims will choose to TFB based on their family situation, default ACR behaviour is when married, usually when they have no children or young children, they are less likely to try if their kids are older. If you set their ideal number of kids, then this will influence whether they try to get pregnant as well.

Of course if you prefer to have one setting you can just disable TFB altogether and set the risky odds to what you like, this would make it more random though and you'd have sims in all sorts of relationships and situations getting pregnant just as often as each other, unless of course you direct sims to TFB manually.

Offline gcgb

• Drooling Diaperfiller
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2012, 10:31:00 AM »
I think I prefer my sims to not have TFB as an option. I don't want it to be that 'easy' for them. But then again I'm mostly just trying to really understand how it all works so I can finally decide on what I want my sims to have.

I want my teens to risky woohoo but I don't want my adults to automatically have a baby whenever they want because I'd like for some to have fertility issues. For example I had one sim who rolled a 2% chance to get pregnant but of course once she was married she had like 3 kids because they would TFB. It just didn't fit my storyline and it was irritating me lol so now I'm trying to figure out how to do it.

So now I don't know if I should change the regular odds to 2% or just leave the the TFB off now that I know its an option. What do you guys think works best for what I want?

Offline simsfreq

• Talkative Toddler
    • My Sims 2 Livejournal
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2012, 12:20:00 PM »
In your situation if I wanted only certain sims to be allowed to try, I'd set the risky odds to what you want (2% is pretty low - you won't see many accidental pregnancies) and then use the Sim Settings/Pregnancy/Change Odds down to a low number on the sims you want to have fertility issues.

You can just disable autonomous TFB if you prefer though. (I have my game open, handily!) It's in Hood Wide Settings/Global Switches/Autonomous TFB is <enabled/disabled - it will show what your current setting is>

Offline gcgb

• Drooling Diaperfiller
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2012, 01:45:57 PM »
Thanks :) I will go do that and change everyone's settings again lol ><

And everyone else, thank you for helping me explain how the mod works :)

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2012, 01:49:39 PM »
Also, bear in mind that you could only allow your female sims to marry when their fertility is decreasing due to age.  You can age them back down with the Blender, but the game will, I think, still see them as *getting on a bit*.  The only way to age a sim down a few years that the game will recognise as making them inherently younger is the Elixir or Life.  The same kind of thing applies to aging an elder sim down to adult.  Only the AgeSimsCheat is recognised as allowing them to become pregnant.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • We'll jump off that bridge when we come to it.
    • Leefish
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2012, 04:33:58 PM »
In my game, I've found in several experiments that the fertility as reported by ACR is increased correctly, when I age sims down using the Blender. I don't discount the possibility that is due to the AL engine.

"BO, Sir, you rock! :bow:" - TheISZ                           (banner design: eefje00704/Eva)

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2012, 05:43:49 PM »
Could be.  I remember a while back this question cropped up, and I deliberately tried using the blender to age a sim down and she did not get pregnant (I don't think the Maxis Try for Baby option even appeared in her menu).  I quit without saving, and tried again with the agesimscheat, and this time she did.  I again quit without saving, since I did not want this particular elder to become a young mother.....

anything
anything