Author Topic: Ideal Family Size  (Read 29408 times)

Offline Zirconia Wolf

• Queen of the Cross-Post
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Reticulated MoonBat Queen
Re: Ideal Family Size
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2010, 02:32:17 PM »
 :biglaugh:

I know the feeling.

Believe it or not, I actually have (finally) decided to bite the bullet & install ACR once I get my game back up & officially running. It's going to take me a bit (RL stuff combined with my incredibly *detailed* install/set up process) but I think in the end I'm going to enjoy it to much not to install it.

(Tokens set to static of course! Can't relinquish my iron grip completely... :wink: )
~ Long Live All Wild Canines! ~
~ Sims 1 & 2 Forever! Sims 3 or 4? Never!! ~
~ Queen Of The Great InTeen Moon-Bat Revolution ~

Offline SmilingSweetly

• S.P.O.R.K.
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Have spork, will travel.
« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2010, 02:40:02 PM »
I think you'll actually have fun with it, ZW. It definitely adds another layer to the game.  :wink:
Now, a question of etiquette - as I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?

Offline Sleepycat

• Resident Hairball
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • meow!
« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2010, 03:32:25 PM »

ZW, you can also set sims to "can not get pregnant" when you feel they have enough kids already and don't need more. 
TFM's Naughty Sims Asylum - home of my Sim stuff - SC4 Terrains, Sims, Hairy Skintones, Hoods and some clothes & stuff.

Offline Zirconia Wolf

• Queen of the Cross-Post
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Reticulated MoonBat Queen
« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2010, 03:49:05 PM »
That's good to know!

Now if I can just get the game back up & running!  :P
~ Long Live All Wild Canines! ~
~ Sims 1 & 2 Forever! Sims 3 or 4? Never!! ~
~ Queen Of The Great InTeen Moon-Bat Revolution ~

Offline SmilingSweetly

• S.P.O.R.K.
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Have spork, will travel.
« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2010, 08:04:14 PM »
With the new version you can also set how many babies the couple would be happy with (or how far to test your limits  :wink: ).
Now, a question of etiquette - as I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?

Offline Darby

• Babbling Baby
« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2012, 06:46:47 PM »
I didn't see anything in the Rules forbidding thread necromancy, and this does seem like the most logical place to post this, so I hope it's okay? 

I read this entire thread and am surprised to not be seeing talk of the problem I'm having with Ideal Number of Kids.  In my game, sims with the default setting of -1 are Trying for Baby regularly, even when they already have one or two kids.  Is this a known issue?

Offline Dark_Author

• Administrator
  • Whining Whelp
« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2012, 06:55:03 PM »
I think some of it has to do with aspiration.  Also, if one sim has -1 and another has something higher, that might cause the issue, too.  But I'm no expert on that.

Click On Those, Please?

Offline Darby

• Babbling Baby
« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2012, 07:33:07 PM »
That's the thing: Both parents/parents-to-be in all these cases (several) are at -1, because I didn't change the default setting.  They're not all family sims either, and I'm feeling like the whole idea of setting an ideal family size is pointless, if sims aren't going to pay any attention to it anyway.   :confused: 

I think I've finally noticed the obvious solution, though, and that's to put them on birth control?  That way, there's still the possibility of a surprise pregnancy due to risky woohoo, but they'll stop actively trying for babies, right? 

Now to play around with how to adjust those risky woohoo pregnancy odds...   :smile:

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Superannuated Coffeeholic
    • Zephyr Zodiac @ 4-Shared
« Reply #58 on: September 19, 2012, 07:51:00 PM »
I think the default setting is pretty meaningless, and you need to actually set the limit to whatever limit you want.  You can also stop the pop-up for Try for Baby somewhere, I think.  Bear in mind, it's the parent who gives birth who has the final say, for example, a family sim husband may want ten kids, but if his fortune sim wife is happy with just two, that's what he will have to settle for, unless he's lucky with risky woohoo.... or gets abducted.
"All the world's a Neighbourhood, and all the men and women merely Sims."  ZephyrZodiac with apologies to Willie Waggledagger.

http://www.4shared.com/u/yCrnLoEP/Zephyr_Zodiac.html

Offline Darby

• Babbling Baby
« Reply #59 on: September 19, 2012, 08:06:59 PM »
Thanks for the info about who gets the final say.  So far, I've just had couples agree on ideal family size together, so both get the same number, but it might be interesting to stir up a bit of conflict in some couples.   

If the default setting is meaningless, that would certainly explain things.   :wink:

Regarding the TFB dialog box: Disabling it doesn't mean they won't be trying, does it?  Just that I won't know about it?  Does ACR include "silent pregnancy", or is that a separate mod somewhere?

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #60 on: September 19, 2012, 09:38:06 PM »
Disabling the pop up doesn't stop them trying, you just don't know if they're trying. 

Silent pregnancy is one of the flavor packs for the Inteenimator.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 09:41:39 PM by zephyrzodiac »
"All the world's a Neighbourhood, and all the men and women merely Sims."  ZephyrZodiac with apologies to Willie Waggledagger.

Offline simsfreq

• Talkative Toddler
    • My Sims 2 Livejournal
« Reply #61 on: September 20, 2012, 02:11:24 AM »
-1 means that the setting is disabled. If you want them not to try for babies then set their ideal number to 0.
Stories, gameplay discussion (ramblings really...) and posts about my creations and ideas for creations. http://simsfreq.livejournal.com/

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • We'll jump off that bridge when we come to it.
    • Leefish
« Reply #62 on: September 20, 2012, 06:23:32 AM »
We indeed have no written rules on necromancy. In fact, if the topic that you want to discuss already has a thread here, we PREFER that you resurrect that thread. That way, all the stuff on that topic stays together, making the search easier for others.

Simsfreq is right. The setting -1 for I#K is actually a setting that (in theory) allows sims to make their own decision based on aspiration.  In practice, it just allows them to breed like bunnies. It's not really an issue or bug; TJ intended it this way. The ACR documentation should contain a paragraph or note about this.

If I'm not mistaken, the mother's I#K setting governs 80% of the final decision. So if mother wants 2 children, and father wants 10, the game will settle for (4x2+10)/5 = 3.6 kids. So they'll most likely have 3 or 4 kids before they actually stop trying. Children that either the father or the mother has with anyone else, are NOT counted in the decision, though. Only the children that they really had *together*, are considered.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 06:32:36 AM by BoilingOil »

"BO, Sir, you rock! :bow:" - TheISZ                           (banner design: eefje00704/Eva)

Offline Darby

• Babbling Baby
« Reply #63 on: September 20, 2012, 07:27:44 AM »
I got most of that from the docs, but not the part about what -1 means.  CLARITY - YAY!   

Thank you all so much!   :love:  I lurve ACR, and feel tons better not to be at odds with it, now that I understand this aspect better.   

Offline MaryH

• Tempermental Tyke
  • Otherwise known as Mary of H.
« Reply #64 on: September 20, 2012, 07:19:09 PM »
Of all the features for ACR, I never thought that the 'IFS" was actually a 'working' part of ACR-more like reminder sticky, or something. Glad to know it actually works, if you do set it up like it's supposed to be. Now I might actually start setting it for 2 children..for each couple, or maybe each person.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • We'll jump off that bridge when we come to it.
    • Leefish
« Reply #65 on: September 20, 2012, 07:54:46 PM »
I *think* TJ's intention was for the system to automatically set up the I#K for each sim according to aspiration and/or personality (although I can't be sure of that). A fact is that such a system was never set up. One *does* have to do such oneself. But then it *does* indeed actually work, mostly. Some sims may defy their settings, if these settings don't fit their personality. Like family sims who may sometimes TFB, even if they have already exceeded their I#K.

"BO, Sir, you rock! :bow:" - TheISZ                           (banner design: eefje00704/Eva)

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #66 on: September 20, 2012, 08:12:42 PM »
And of course it doesn't take into account Risky Woohoo, which is why so many of my Romance sims are more productive than my family sims....

Offline simsfreq

• Talkative Toddler
    • My Sims 2 Livejournal
« Reply #67 on: September 21, 2012, 12:14:57 AM »
One of the blogs which documents a whole hood and method of playstyle has a formula which I mostly adopted (with a few tweaks), you take the sim's amount of playful points and divide by 2 for family sims, 3 for knowledge/popularity/cheese and 4 for romance/pleasure/fortune. It's a good rule of thumb to give a range of ideal sizes without too much thought :)
Stories, gameplay discussion (ramblings really...) and posts about my creations and ideas for creations. http://simsfreq.livejournal.com/

Offline MaryH

• Tempermental Tyke
  • Otherwise known as Mary of H.
« Reply #68 on: September 21, 2012, 03:03:53 AM »
I've tried to use the Apple Valley style of computing families, which is:
Since I assign aspirations based on personality, I had to look to see if any aspirations were based on high outgoing or nice score.
Since popularity is mostly outgoing, I assigned it a higher Aspiration ACR rank,  also since knowledge had to be shy (low outgoing), I gave it a smaller Aspiration ACR rank so that my knowledge sims would at least desire some children. As a result, I coded each Aspiration ACR rank as follows:

family= 1
knowledge= 2
fortune= 3
popularity= 4
pleasure= 5
romance= 6

Looking at personality, I decided that the more outgoing a sim was, then the more likely they would like to have more sims in their family.
Also since niceness was a requirement for the family aspiration in my hood, I decided that the nicer a sim,  the more children they would like to have. As a result I developed a personality dependent score as follows:

Outgoing + ( 0.5 * Nice )

And the final ideal family size formula as follows:

Outgoing + ( 0.5 * Nice ) / Aspiration ACR Rank = Ideal Family Size

But I think I'll use your formula instead-the math for figuring out IFS from Apple Valley is good, but unnecessarily complicated, I think.

Sometimes I think the most fun part of this game is figuring out how to manipulate the pixels-and we simmers are quite the analytical bunch, aren't we?
Devoting so much time to the metrics of pixels!  :lol:
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 03:06:49 AM by MaryH »

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #69 on: September 21, 2012, 04:13:20 AM »
MaryH, I think simsfreq was talking about family size, not aspiration.

Me, I prefer a quick click without a lot of thought.... and for aspiration, in my game, anything goes.

Offline Dark_Author

• Administrator
  • Whining Whelp
« Reply #70 on: September 21, 2012, 08:45:37 AM »
To figure out Ideal Family Size for my sims I rolla D10 (ten sided dice) for Family sims and than add 2 to whatever it rolls.  For all other sims, I roll a D6.

Click On Those, Please?

Offline miros1

• Face Collector
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Face Collector
    • The Wooden Simolean
« Reply #71 on: September 22, 2012, 08:18:55 AM »
I like that system.

For people who don't have d10s, try using 2 regular dice (aka d6).

Offline Dark_Author

• Administrator
  • Whining Whelp
« Reply #72 on: September 22, 2012, 09:33:04 AM »
Should also note that sims with family as a secondary get a plus two to their roll, but still with a d6.  Only primary family sims get the D10.  I've been debating weather or not Romance sims (who generally don't want kids) should get a d4 roll instead... I have one neighborhood where I'm trying that out and so far, its working alright.  Less kids.

Click On Those, Please?

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #73 on: September 22, 2012, 10:23:53 AM »
Odd thing is, I've had elder Romance sims who want grandchildren...

Offline simsfreq

• Talkative Toddler
    • My Sims 2 Livejournal
« Reply #74 on: September 25, 2012, 11:39:41 AM »
That's the one I got the idea from, MaryH :) I couldn't remember which site it was. I decided that playfulness was probably more relevant to parenthood than outgoing, personally. I have a couple of extra things which affect it but mainly I just go with that, it's easy to remember.

I also set their risky pregnancy score by how neat they are - everyone gets 12% minus the number of neat points they have. Because even the most carefully used contraception isn't 100% ;)

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #75 on: September 25, 2012, 01:21:53 PM »
I think I like just making a quick click without thinking too deeply about it....