Author Topic: Autonomous Put Away Leftovers  (Read 7858 times)

Offline Dark_Author

• Administrator
  • Whining Whelp
Autonomous Put Away Leftovers
« on: April 21, 2012, 06:28:13 PM »
I think I'm having an issue with the autonomous put away leftovers mod.  I'm not entirely sure that its the problem, but its the most recent mod that related to fridges that I've installed, and I didn't have the issue before...

Anyway, putting away leftovers autonomously works just fine.  My problem is with getting them out.   On all but the two cheapest fridges, the leftovers disappear as soon as my sim pulls them out of the fridge.  They just vanish out of their hand.  On the two cheaper fridges, the leftovers are recovered just fine.  Do you think it could be this mod...or is something else at play here?  The HDCU turns up nothing that I don't expect, and no errors are thrown.

Click On Those, Please?

Offline miros1

• Face Collector
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Face Collector
    • The Wooden Simolean
Re: Autonomous Put Away Leftovers
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 08:34:33 PM »
Which leftovers mod are  you using?  Some people at MATY say Dizzy's is incompatible with moveawayfromfridge.  JMP also has a "dontshootfood" mod which prevents food from disappearing when one Sim gets food from the fridge and another tries to eat it (what a pig), causing it to completely disappear.  I think we've discussed this at more length in another thread.

Offline Dark_Author

• Administrator
  • Whining Whelp
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 09:33:20 PM »
The only one I'm using is BO's.  My only other fridge modifying mods are one that puts a slot on top of the fridges to place objects and one that makes all fridges start empty (which I've had for years).

Click On Those, Please?

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • We'll jump off that bridge when we come to it.
    • Leefish
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 02:50:10 AM »
This problem also occurs when there are children around... And adult or teen gets a left-over from the fridge, and as soon as they have it in their hand one of the kids decides to clean up that plate, making it vanish instantly.

I'm still trying to figure out how to fix that part... Maybe JMP's mod might solve the problem.

"BO, Sir, you rock! :bow:" - TheISZ                           (banner design: eefje00704/Eva)

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Superannuated Coffeeholic
    • Zephyr Zodiac @ 4-Shared
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 03:03:26 AM »
I'm still using Dizzy's mod (the FT version) along with his other related mods, and Pes's don'tshootfood - no problems with disappearing food these days (I think it occasionally happens when food has been put away which is past its Use By Date, though) and I've definitely seen sims on a college rampage or macro skilling etc. take food from someone getting it from the fridge!
"All the world's a Neighbourhood, and all the men and women merely Sims."  ZephyrZodiac with apologies to Willie Waggledagger.

http://www.4shared.com/u/yCrnLoEP/Zephyr_Zodiac.html

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 01:41:39 PM »
I had this issue again yesterday (still working on a fix, but the last thing I tried apparently doesn't work EITHER (even with Pes' dontshootfood.package installed), as evidenced by yesterday's encounter). I ordered Chester to get a leftover, and while he was reaching inside the fridge, I noticed his kid son race at him... I quickly froze the game, just in time to be able to see that his son was on a "Clean-up" run. But Chester's meal could no longer be saved :(

So that's it! I'm gonna entirely disable autonomous clean-up for kids. I always thought it was kinda cute when kids autonomously did something productive, but I'm not going to allow them to waste any more food just to save this feature.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 04:13:14 AM by BoilingOil »

"BO, Sir, you rock! :bow:" - TheISZ                           (banner design: eefje00704/Eva)

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 06:43:49 PM »
On second thought, it would be a pity to lose a cute thing like kids cleaning stuff up autonomously.

So I've checked the "Get Leftovers" BHAV, and have put some code in place that should mark the meal-to-take-out as "in use". Testing is a bit tricky, though, because if nobody does the thing you're trying to stop, how do you know if it's your mod that stopped it? At least, so far, it doesn't seem to stop the person who took out the meal from actually eating it too. So that's the good part about it :D

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 04:28:15 AM »
Ok, at least with any version of FDA installed, Pes' dontshootfood.package doesn't do sh*t to stop food-shooting. Even an FDA with special safety precautions doesn't help.

But this new approach - fixing the "Get Leftovers" BHAV - seems to work well, because I haven't seen any kids running towards the fridge, when other sims were getting leftovers (they *do* still run towards the coffee machine, when someone is getting coffee, though). So now I'm gonna check if it also works WITHOUT dontshootfood.package, because if that also works, then that mod has effectively become obsolete!

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 04:47:25 AM »
I've never, ever, seen a kid run to the coffee machine, and since FT, I have only once seen a sim clean up the second cup!  Odd.
"All the world's a Neighbourhood, and all the men and women merely Sims."  ZephyrZodiac with apologies to Willie Waggledagger.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2012, 05:23:56 AM »
I seldom use the espresso machine, so I wouldn't know what kids do with that one. As far as I know, they can NOT take espresso for their own use, but it's entirely possible that they *can* clean it up. I can't confirm any of that. Adults most *certainly* can't leave the second cup alone, though; they *must* clean it up a.s.a.p. I know *that* much at least.

But with normal coffee machines, I frequently see kids run in, trying to clean up the cup that the adult has been pouring for themselves. It's really exactly the same thing - at least in *my* game - as those kids cleaning up leftovers, while they're being taken from the fridge. And I *know* that these leftovers aren't spoiled, because they were stored directly after cooking, and only taken out to eat.

Also, I've examined the methods for storing leftovers. When you store a leftover, the game actually destroys that meal, and simply adds a token to the lot (NOT to the fridge). When you take out that leftover, a new meal is generated using information found on the token, the meal is then refreshed (given the current timestamp), and then the token is deleted. And since meals can't be stored when they're already spoiled, and tokens don't ever spoil because they aren't actually meals, I can't see how any sim could get a spoiled meal from the fridge.

Offline miros1

• Face Collector
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Face Collector
    • The Wooden Simolean
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2012, 06:25:07 AM »
BO, I love h ow you find the cause of problems and fix that instead of restricting the behavior that causes the symptoms!  I think it's neat that the kids auto-clean-up too.  Why block some thing neat/cute when Maxis put so much stuff in the game that really needs blocked or reduced?

I've never had a kid clean up the second cup, but maybe I keep them too busy.  I know it usually gets left alone when the Headmaster is there, because he drinks it for 10 points!

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2012, 07:27:18 AM »
I just tell myself the meal is spoiled - heck, I throw enough stuff out that's past its use-by date!  Mostly, though, the missing meals tend to happen on lots where one family has moved out and another one moved in, so I think occasionally the meals stored on the lot get corrupted in some way with a change of ownership.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2012, 01:24:28 PM »
BO, I love how you find the cause of problems and fix that instead of restricting the behavior that causes the symptoms! I think it's neat that the kids auto-clean-up too.  Why block some thing neat/cute when Maxis put so much stuff in the game that really needs blocked or reduced?

Would it surprise you to learn that that's how I feel about it too? The real fix is not to disable a feature, but to repair the bit that causes it to malfunction. :D

Mostly, though, the missing meals tend to happen on lots where one family has moved out and another one moved in, so I think occasionally the meals stored on the lot get corrupted in some way with a change of ownership.

Obviously, the issue in your game is different from mine, ZZ. Because Chester and his family don't live on a lot that had already been used by someone else. Their lot was specifically built for him, and has been expanded as his family grew! And that's how it goes with virtually all my families: they move into a lot that I've built for them, and never move out again! So in *my* game change of ownership is NOT the issue. Anyway... if this mod keeps working as it has so far, then missing meals are a thing of the past for me and for some others... And I hope for it to work for you as well!

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2012, 05:55:15 PM »
Oh, I move my families around a lot.  But I will give it a try, if you promise me it won't reset my entire hood!!! :smile:

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2012, 06:43:54 PM »
You can rest assured, ZZ: it will not reset anything :D At least, it hasn't for me, so far. It's a BHAV that works several levels down in Fridges, not directly touching any pie-menus. Only BHAVs that actually touch pie menus (either action- or guardian-BHAVs) are notorious for resetting stuff, when added, altered or removed. Dontshootfood doesn't reset anything either, in my experience.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2012, 06:51:18 PM »
Ok, so have I got to hunt it down?

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2012, 06:57:01 PM »
No dear. Hunting serves no purpose, because this beast hasn't been seen in the wild yet. I'm still testing it :D

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2012, 11:10:06 AM »
Ok, I'm done testing, so here it is... BO - Get Leftovers Fix. That should do the trick, whether you have my Food Dish Autonomy or not.

Offline Dark_Author

• Administrator
  • Whining Whelp
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2012, 06:01:31 PM »
hehe....  I just realized: your Food Dish Autonomy mod (FDA) has the same initials as the FDA (Food and Drug Administration) in the US that regulates foods.   lol

Click On Those, Please?

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2012, 07:11:20 PM »
As a European, I would never have realized that, D_A.  But I *do* frequently call that mod "FDA" ;)

anything
anything