Author Topic: Site *Not* Closing Next Month  (Read 81665 times)

Offline twojeffs

• Supreme Simbologist
  • Administrator
  • Tempermental Tyke
Site *Not* Closing Next Month
« on: December 20, 2011, 08:18:42 PM »
Hi everyone. I wanted to post to let everyone know that I've decided to close down the site when the hosting comes up for renewal mid next month.

I just don't have the time or frankly the desire to keep it going any longer. As you may have noticed, I haven't really been around much for quite a while and have come close to posting this several times over the last 6 months or so. It's just time to let go.

I want to thank each of you for making this forum the success it has been for close to four years. I especially want to thank Sleepycat who has been a mod here from the beginning and TheISZ who took a big chunk of the maintenence load off of my shoulders so I could start to step back along with all of the others that have come and gone.

As far as what happens to the content hosted here, I'm leaving that up to the community. I have no plans for it. Feel free to fold, spindle, or mutilate as you wish. No rules, no restrictions, no licenses.

Update 12/31/11: Should have changed this earlier, but....yanno. X) I'm still retiring as of tomorrow, as are Sleepycat and TheISZ, but several members have joined together to keep the site going and I've agreed to allow them to take over the Simbology.com domain.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 08:39:09 AM by twojeffs »
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • We'll jump off that bridge when we come to it.
    • Leefish
Re: Site Closing Next Month
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 08:22:45 PM »
I was afraid this was going to happen, TJ. I'm not happy about it (as will many others, I'm sure), but I understand completely. Thank you very much for all you've given us, and good luck with whatever you're going to do next!

"BO, Sir, you rock! :bow:" - TheISZ                           (banner design: eefje00704/Eva)

Offline Master-Sephiroth

• Toddling Tot
  • I wear the Black Cape around here!
    • Role Players' Domain
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 08:34:01 PM »
It's like all my Simming havens are closing down... *notices a pattern* The sites that are closing down... I'm a member of them... shit, it's my fault...
Because in Soviet Russia... motives decay YOU!
Running The Sims 2 with the University, Nightlife, Open for Business and Seasons EPs.
My Blog: http://39thflooroffice.blogspot.com/

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Superannuated Coffeeholic
    • Zephyr Zodiac @ 4-Shared
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 08:37:50 PM »
I just don't know what to say.
"All the world's a Neighbourhood, and all the men and women merely Sims."  ZephyrZodiac with apologies to Willie Waggledagger.

http://www.4shared.com/u/yCrnLoEP/Zephyr_Zodiac.html

Offline arathea

• Tempermental Tyke
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 08:45:17 PM »
Arathea's Area@TFM's Naughty Sims Asylum

Offline Firestaar1

• Babbling Baby
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 08:58:07 PM »
I've always been more of a lurker here than a talker, and I haven't been on near as much since TS3 came out, however Simbology and you TJ have been such an integral part of the simming community that it feels "off" to think you will be gone soon. 

I do want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for all you've done for the simming community, and I pray that whatever path life leads you on, is one of happiness  :cry:

Offline Master-Sephiroth

• Toddling Tot
    • Role Players' Domain
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 09:03:31 PM »
I need some more Sims forums to troll stalk.  :diva:
Running The Sims 2 with the University, Nightlife, Open for Business and Seasons EPs.

Offline Zirconia Wolf

• Queen of the Cross-Post
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Reticulated MoonBat Queen
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 09:14:46 PM »

Words completely fail me, as like so many of us *long timers* this is really my second home.

Seems like it's getting harder & harder for us TS2 hold outs to find sanctuary in an increasingly TS3 driven world, but of course I completely understand about times & interests changing. Life happens, after all.

I wish you well & am truly proud that I got to be part of such an amazing site, that has become more important to me than I suppose any site really should. (As silly as it might sound, the day I finally became a *whippy whippersnapper* really was one of the most exciting days of my life, cyber-speaking.)

Thanks again for the friends, the fun, the laughs & all the memories. (I would say "Thanks for all the fish" too, but that would only make sense to folks familiar with the Hitchhiker's Guide series!)

Think I'll go curl up in my soon-to-be-defunct Den for a while, as I salute you with a ceremonial "5-Wolf Howl."

Edited to add that that I find it awesomely cool that my "So long, Simbology" post was also a double-cross with MS & Firestaar.

How fucking awesome is that?

***Clings triumphantly to my "Queen of the Cross-Posts" title***
~ Long Live All Wild Canines! ~
~ Sims 1 & 2 Forever! Sims 3 or 4? Never!! ~
~ Queen Of The Great InTeen Moon-Bat Revolution ~

Offline Master-Sephiroth

• Toddling Tot
    • Role Players' Domain
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 09:22:01 PM »
Hurray for ZW's epic cross-posting, 5-wolf howl and Hitchhiker's Guide reference! *pets ZW*

(We must seek a new TS2 inner sanctum, my friends...)

Offline Nyxie

• Talkative Toddler
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2011, 09:36:30 PM »
I understand your reasoning, but I am really going to miss this place.

"If a rabbit defined intelligence the way man does, then the most intelligent animal would be a rabbit, followed by the animal most willing to obey the commands of a rabbit" - Robert Brault

Offline Figwit

• Pineapple Princess
  • Whining Whelp
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2011, 10:48:04 PM »
Thanks and goodbye, TJ.  I was very new to sims when I stumbled on your site but then your site was very new too.  Thank you for your wonderful mods that made my game, and so many other's, such a pleasure to play.  Sorry to see you go.

ZZ, you are welcome at Bear Mountain Creations whenever you want to come.  I know you don't play Sims 3 but I can hold your hand just as you held mine four years ago.   :smile:

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2011, 11:21:49 PM »
Thanks, Figwit!  I might even install Sims 3 someday, you never know.

I'm still finding it hard to say anything, so I'll just thank TJ for four years spent at a forum where I felt truly *at home*, and where I met, or re-met, some wonderful people.
"All the world's a Neighbourhood, and all the men and women merely Sims."  ZephyrZodiac with apologies to Willie Waggledagger.

Offline Figwit

• Pineapple Princess
  • Whining Whelp
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2011, 12:01:11 AM »
I should have said you can come just for chat.  You don't even have to play Sims 3.  :cheese:

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2011, 12:54:38 AM »
Great!  You still never know, though - I may be tempted to unwrap that package! :smile:

Offline arathea

• Tempermental Tyke
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2011, 12:59:18 AM »
@ZZ: TFM is in the process of putting up her own site which will be a Sims forum (no certain number required) so there will be another place to chat when Simbology and CT will be down.  :smile:
Arathea's Area@TFM's Naughty Sims Asylum

Offline ilikefishfood

• Mistress of Special Brownies
  • Talkative Toddler
    • "If...Life and Times in Christophe Harbour"
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2011, 01:47:27 AM »
I'm just heart broken...though like BO said, I kinda had a feeling that this would happen.

I found you at Varioussimmers....and wrote a request in your section for a mod that'd allow simmies to woo hoo without having to be in love.  You replied right away and said you'd been thinking about doing something like that...and in a short space of time, you gave us the original Casual Romance. *wipes tear* 

It's evolution into ACR was beyond anything anyone could've dreamed possible!  That baby is like a whole new EP!

I hope someone can find the space to at least host your essential mods and fixes, even if without support.

I remain a die hard TS2-er all thanks to your amazing work that makes the game so much darn fun to play!  I've been playing since it's release in September 2004 and do some sim-related thing everyday...and I have a 12 hour a day job!!!  I have all your stuff.  You were the first to get your own folder when we were finally able to sub-folder. 

My simmies and I will shine your light forever!

You've nor only made an amazing contribution to the community, but you have done so with patience and warmth...and a goofy sense of humour!  :cheese:  There are no words to adequately express my gratitude.  And if it's not wildly inappropriate, I'd just like to say....I LOVE YOOOOOOOOOU!!!!!!!!!!  :smile:

Wishing you all the very best TJ, and thank you for everything.
"If..."a TS2 epic about friendship, romance, misunderstandings, quite a bit of silliness & a bit of rock & roll."

Offline MaryH

• Tempermental Tyke
  • Otherwise known as Mary of H.
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2011, 04:05:17 AM »
Like the others, words fail me-but I do understand the reasons.
I shall miss this site terribly, not only for the downloads but also for the wonderful members and the smartness that was always in this site.
It's been a good run, and I wish you all the best, TJ!

Offline Katya

• Toddling Tot
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2011, 04:06:48 AM »
Disappointing, but not surprising (to me, at least). Good luck with wherever life leads you :)
Angelos Town Prosperity updated 7th May.

Offline Kivak

• Talkative Toddler
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2011, 07:39:21 AM »
Everyone  :hug:

I was so afraid this was happening. I didn't want to voice my fears. TJ thank you for all you have done. Without your mods my game would be so boring and a grind.

I do wish you well in what ever you plan to do next.  Glad you held on for as long as you and gave us all a good place to chat. Going to miss everyone.

Hopefully we can all still hang out at TFM new place. Crazy Town will be here for a little longer so if you who are not members yet want to come over there after Simbology closes I am sure you are welcome.

Simbology was my first home in the Sims community, even though Wolfie was at Simlogical first, I never posted there just lurked. I came here and bang I felt at home.
Kivak & Wolfie's Cove
http://simsasylum.com/tfm/index.php?/forum/70-kivak-and-wolfies-cove/
Sims 2 stories and houses, some clothes & Sims

Offline Orilon

• Toddling Tot
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2011, 07:42:25 AM »
I'm sad to see it go, but as the saying goes life happens.  Thanks to TJ's mods, the game is a lot less frustrating, and in some cases less buggy.

Offline miros1

• Face Collector
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Face Collector
    • The Wooden Simolean
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2011, 07:49:24 AM »
I'm sorry to hear this!

Offline susalilies

• Babbling Baby
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2011, 08:33:12 AM »
Thank you for all your hard work. :)

Offline twoftmama

• Toddling Tot
  • Dynamite comes in small packages!
    • TFM's Naughty Sims Asylum
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2011, 08:39:24 AM »
I have been more of a lurker here than a poster, but this just breaks my heart. Your mods were the first I found when TS2 was first released and I was ready to toss it out the window. You stomped the things that were annoying me, and gave me a reason to keep playing. I followed you here from InTeen's site, and Simbology gave me a place to find answers to my questions.

When I wanted to share the TS3 mods I made for myself, you let me post them here. I got my first requests here and things took off. Those requests gave me the confidence to do more, and more. I wouldn't be a modder without Simbology.

Thank you for all you've given to the community and me personally. You and Simbology will be missed!  :cry:

@ZZ: TFM is in the process of putting up her own site which will be a Sims forum (no certain number required) so there will be another place to chat when Simbology and CT will be down.  :smile:

Everyone from here is welcome at the new place when I get it set up. :smile: It is going to be a place for Simmers regardless of what they play and I'd be honored to have the folks from here join.

Hopefully we can all still hang out at TFM new place. Crazy Town will be here for a little longer so if you who are not members yet want to come over there after Simbology closes I am sure you are welcome.

Yes please come join us while CT is still up and running! All the info about the new place will be there, as well as some voting on names and things.  :smile:
TFM's Naughty Sims Asylum

If the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left handed people are in their right mind.

Offline Zirconia Wolf

• Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2011, 08:51:19 AM »
Still struggling with the terrible truth that both Simbology & CrazyTown (which I just was starting to feel comfortable on) are ending. Add to that AH taking his site down any moment now & this holiday season is seriously sucking for me on so many levels I can't even count them.

While it's been nice to see people like TFM start up sites & offer us displaced folks a new *home* it still isn't the same if you are like me & have come to the conclusion that TS3 just will never *cut it* for you & you really, truly & honestly are still thrilled with TS2 & dearly loved to know there was a place you could ask questions & swap pics & trade stories about TS2 with other people who felt the same way.

Being told "I wish I could help, but I only play TS3 now" is hardly the kind of help I have come to rely on- although it is very kind of the TS3 boards to offer a *place* for us TS2 players, such as it could ever be on a TS3 board.

Sorry, but I'm really in a crappy mood right now (thought I might *feel better in the morning* but I don't) & really need to *clear my head* before I have a total meltdown.

**edited to say I just crossed posts with TFM, which is bitterly sweet**

TheISZ

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2011, 08:58:54 AM »
Hey, TJ, you have no idea how much you have meant to us all and how grateful we are for everything!  :love: I wish the very best for you and thank you for putting up with us!  :giggle:

Offline Camping Stove

• Highchair Hipster
    • dreamwidth
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2011, 09:34:57 AM »
This post made me gasp out loud...and then I actually cried a little bit.
I love this site and all the wonderful, helpful people.  I will greatly miss it.

And thank you so much TJ for all your great work.  I don't know if I could play the game without ACR (and the rest of my big bulging TJ folder) - you are some kind of genius.  Salut!!

Offline Pope

• Mushloving Mophead
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2011, 11:13:17 AM »
 :cry: While I really do lurke mostly I'll miss this place terribly. I've loved to come here everyday and reading about everybody's adventures etc. I fear we're losing some wonderful forums.

Thank you TJ and everybody else here for being so great, so kind hearted, so helpful, and so creative. I hope to see all you dear people on other Sims forums after Simbology and CT are gone.
Wow... that was quick

Offline Sleepycat

• Resident Hairball
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • meow!
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2011, 12:03:15 PM »

Hey, TJ, you have no idea how much you have meant to us all and how grateful we are for everything!  :love: I wish the very best for you and thank you for putting up with us!  :giggle:

Ditto!
TFM's Naughty Sims Asylum - home of my Sim stuff - SC4 Terrains, Sims, Hairy Skintones, Hoods and some clothes & stuff.

Offline twerplina

• Babbling Baby
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2011, 12:34:08 PM »
Like many, I'm also a lurker here. Thank you  TJ, for the wonderful creations that have enhanced my game so much. Best of luck in your new creative endeavors.

Offline FisherX

• Highchair Hipster
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2011, 02:00:45 PM »
Words elude me to say what I feel.. I've been a lurker here for a long time and loved the place from start..
 Thank you TJ for all things you've done for all of us...  :love: and I sure will miss this site  :diva:

Offline Wolfenblu

• Talkative Toddler
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2011, 02:14:12 PM »
 :love: TJ thanks for everything you have done and the wonderful place you gave us.

When I first read this I couldn't respond, I was just sick to loose two places I love in a space of days.

I hope what ever you do you will find to do it makes you happy, because that is all that counts.

Offline jbeach34

• Drooling Diaperfiller
    • Creations by G-Knee
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2011, 03:42:06 PM »
Man, that's depressing.... :cry:
TJ, just want to say thank you for all that you've done to improve my, and others', game!!!  :thumb:  It would have very quickly hit the dust if not for your additions!  :bow:  Thank you! And I'll miss you and this site! Even if I was only just a lurker! ;)
Whatever you do, do it ALL for the glory of God.  1 Corinthians 10:31 My mission: To fill the gaps! Check out my Journal  for updates on my sims shenanigans!
MoreSimsStuff - MyBlogSpot

Offline aussieone

• Highchair Hipster
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2011, 04:03:14 PM »
I want to echo the sentiments that have been shared here since the announcements of Simbology and CT closing down. Very rarely has a day gone by when I haven't visited my favourite Sims 2 sites at least two to three times a day, so this is going to leave a pretty big hole, that's for sure.  :cry:

Like many of you, I'll be visiting TFM's new place as well as any other forums mentioned that are still moderately geared towards TS2. I've never gotten into or liked TS3 and I doubt I ever will; it's too late in the game anyway as far as I'm concerned.

Two Jeffs, thank you so much for all of the mods that you've made and shared with us over the years. You've helped make a great game into an exceptional one and I'm really greatful for that. Wishing you the best of luck in the future.

Offline simsaddict1025

• Highchair Hipster
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2011, 04:40:36 PM »
Aww...Im back and now you're leaving  :hug: Thank You for this site and Good Luck!!
Have you've had your fix!?!

Offline CM

• Babbling Baby
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2011, 05:40:21 PM »
TJ,

I've been a longtime lurker, but as soon as I heard the news I had to come here and tell you thanks.  The mods and the good times here on your site were truly stupendous.  I am very sorry that you are leaving, but I am very grateful that this place was created so that not only our games will function better, but also the generosity that was fostered here among the members of your site. 

May the future bless you with the best of luck.  Please know that your efforts have benefited a lot of people. However, it is very sad to say goodbye to once was and always be a spectacular site.   

Happy holidays and the most heartfelt good tidings for your next endeavors. :hug:

CM

Herr Burgemeister

« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2011, 06:16:48 PM »
If I may -

though I have just joined this forum, I have been a lurker for the past 11 months and have enjoyed the creative fruits of your labour.  THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!! for the wonderful mods you have created for S2.

Now...

it appears very few people who play S2 are aware that those of us who play S1 (some from the first conception) and have endured the loss of many wonderful and cherished sites have a reserve site (kind of like Fort Knox).   

Saving the Sims.  While most of the content they have saved from complete obscurity is from S1, there are also S2 sites that have been saved by them.

All it takes is filling out their form and they make arrangements to store all content with easy linkage for DL by furture Sims players.

:smile:
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 06:18:43 PM by Herr Burgemeister »

Offline Darby

• Babbling Baby
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2011, 06:21:48 PM »
TJ, you'll be missed!

Thank you so much for all the wonderful hacks you've created.  So many of yours are "must haves" for me, and have made my Sims 2 game worlds better than it would be without them.  Thank you, thank you, thank you!   :hug:

I wish you all the best in life, and hope you're thoroughly enjoying whatever it is you're doing now.   :smile:

Offline zolabee

• Ellipsis...Queen
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Some days are just after you!
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2011, 06:33:53 AM »
Like so many others I am heartbroken! This has been one of my homes for so long!  TJ - thanks for all of the work you have done through the years!  You are one of the many that made S2 playable by more than the 12s.   :cry: 

Offline simsfreq

• Talkative Toddler
    • My Sims 2 Livejournal
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2011, 01:20:44 PM »
Oh no! I am sad to hear this. Simbology is one of my most visited sites. Thank you so much TJ for all your hard work, and to all the wonderful posters here who have really made this community what it is. It will be a true shame to lose such a mine of well-written information about the game, though I see why you have chosen to move on. Thank you to everyone. :love:
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 01:22:28 PM by simsfreq »
Stories, gameplay discussion (ramblings really...) and posts about my creations and ideas for creations. http://simsfreq.livejournal.com/

Offline MaryH

• Tempermental Tyke
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2011, 02:03:10 PM »
To update circumstances as they're changing:
Leefish is going to be hosting nearly all of TJ's files on her site, so that they will be available for users:
http://www.leefish.nl/Simbologymods/index.php

Offline simsfreq

• Talkative Toddler
    • My Sims 2 Livejournal
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2011, 02:04:22 PM »
Excellent news, thank you Leefish! :love:
Stories, gameplay discussion (ramblings really...) and posts about my creations and ideas for creations. http://simsfreq.livejournal.com/

Offline Cabelle

• Toddling Tot
  • Shall we play?
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2011, 02:05:32 PM »
I'll miss Simbology, but I definitely understand, TJ.  :hug: Thank you so very much for your wonderful mods. I probably would have quit TS2 within months without them. I have also enjoyed laughing and joking around with you through the years. You are first class, and I wish you the very best.  :love2:
"Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you're up to."

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2011, 02:30:36 PM »
To update circumstances as they're changing:
Leefish is going to be hosting nearly all of TJ's files on her site, so that they will be available for users:
http://www.leefish.nl/Simbologymods/index.php

That's great news... Nothing will be lost, that way. :thumb:

"BO, Sir, you rock! :bow:" - TheISZ                           (banner design: eefje00704/Eva)

Offline AlfredAskew

• Toddling Tot
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2011, 03:02:47 PM »
What no! This is like the smart kids table in middle school. What will I do without you guys? You always know what's what with my game, and you're all so nice... awww.... sadness.

Thanks for all your work TJ. And thanks to all the nice Simbology dwellers.

Offline Zirconia Wolf

• Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2011, 03:33:30 PM »
What no! This is like the smart kids table in middle school....

:lol:

Thanks!

I really needed that!

Offline Dark_Author

• Administrator
  • Whining Whelp
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2011, 04:39:15 PM »
This is so sad!  I'd love to take the site over for you and keep it up for another year or so.

Click On Those, Please?

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2011, 04:55:32 PM »
I'd like that, D_A. :thumb:  If we coordinate our efforts, we would stand a chance keeping Simbology alive for a while.

Offline Dark_Author

• Administrator
  • Whining Whelp
« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2011, 04:57:22 PM »
That we could. :cheese:

Click On Those, Please?

Offline MaryH

• Tempermental Tyke
« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2011, 06:55:51 PM »
Well, if you two are going to think about taking over the site for TJ, I can stand to put myself up for voluntary hire as a mod, or admin for a while....based on my experience on another site.
Heck, I could even be convinced to do some work! :lol:

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2011, 07:02:34 PM »
Cool! It's not just us two, though. ZephyrZodiac and Zirconia Wolf are in on it as well. And we're already discussing the deal with TJ too. But I'm sure we could use all the help available.

Now we actually need to get a fund raiser going to keep things alive.