Author Topic: ACR problems  (Read 9292 times)

Offline hedgekat

• Highchair Hipster
ACR problems
« on: December 04, 2011, 10:01:48 AM »
First a little background: After months of frequent game crashes often causing system crashes on two separate machines, with two different OSs and different neighborhoods I decided to tackle the one thing they had in common. Downloads.
   I pulled the download folder on one machine and started a fresh game, with cloned sims from one of the previous neighborhoods. After a couple of days with no crashes I added my most essential mods. InTeen and ACR.  No crashes.  Both mods worked perfectly. I gradually added more mods, one or two at a time as game sillinesses raised my irritation level. Still no crashes.
   By this time my families were getting rather large and wanting to get larger.  I added AH Lot full of sims. My families grew. Then I realized the teens no longer had the option to try for baby. Problem #1.  I checked HCDU and found a conflict between Lot full of sims and Inteen.  Is there a different Lot full of sims that would not conflict?  Or perhaps a different placement of the one I have.  I currently have it in its own folder with a Z in front of the name.

Problem #2 also relates to large families.  I have all my sims set to 12 for ideal number of children. (Game scenario is a colony of farmers. The more kids they have the more crops they can grow.) But they stop trying for baby after they have 4-6 children. I don't even get the TFB dialog most of the time. Yes, I have it enabled. I have to force them to TFB or else use InSim after woohoo to knock them up.  Takes the fun out of ACR. Seems that adjusting the plus and minus values for kids desired and kids already had would fix that.  Can anyone tell me how to do that?

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • We'll jump off that bridge when we come to it.
    • Leefish
Re: ACR problems
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 10:07:53 AM »
I think it's time for me to suggest that you remove Lot Full of Sims, and install my Unlimited Sims instead.
My mod is much smaller, and unlike LfoS, it can not conflict with anything! I suspect that with this little change, both your problems might disappear.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 10:09:51 AM by BoilingOil »

"BO, Sir, you rock! :bow:" - TheISZ                           (banner design: eefje00704/Eva)

Offline miros1

• Face Collector
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Face Collector
    • The Wooden Simolean
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 06:11:05 PM »
OOH!  I forgot about that!  I'll have to change the recommendation in my tutorials!

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 08:40:23 PM »
Hehehe, I wasn't gonna say anything, but I *did* wonder when that was going to happen :D

Looking good, though... Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 08:45:09 PM by BoilingOil »

"BO, Sir, you rock! :bow:" - TheISZ                           (banner design: eefje00704/Eva)

Offline miros1

• Face Collector
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Face Collector
    • The Wooden Simolean
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 07:23:22 AM »
A bunch of your mods and Inge's mods have been added to Essential Downloads now.

Hedgekat, we've just hijacked your thread on the 3rd post... feel free to unhijack it as soon as you've tried Unlimited Sims, even to tell us it worked or it was an epic phail!

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 07:28:49 AM »
Yeah, I noticed... That's why I said "Looking good, thanks." :)

Offline hedgekat

• Highchair Hipster
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2011, 08:50:28 AM »
BO, you are a hero.  I kiss your feet. I have installed your Unlimited Sims and my teens can once again Try for Baby.  An unexpected side effect is twins.  I had only one set of twins in the first 75 births in my neighborhood.  In the 12 births since installing the mod there have been 5 sets of twins, two in the same family on the same day. (I usually start a new farm with two young couples. Makes the work go quicker.)

The other problem is unabated. My adult sims continue to stop getting the Try for Baby dialog once they have 4-6 children. Sims whose Ideal # of Kids is set at 2-6 get a consistent +10 adjustment per child in the TFB Dialog. When Ideal is set at 10 or 12 the adjustment appears to be random.  I have seen it from 80-100+.   On one rare occasion when the Dialog appeared for a sim who already had 6 children the Ideal adjustment was 140.  Even that was not enough to outweigh the -135 for existing kids. It is currently impossible for sims to get a very large family with ACR.

I would like to change the adjustments to +20 for each child desired and -20 for each child born.  And perhaps alter the aspiration adjustments also.  Can anyone tell me how to do that? 

BO, a few comments on your other mods.  Children Get Bottles is totally awesome.    Your Phone Makeover is megawonderful. I have so hated those snotty, rude phone messages. The new polite messages with the time to call back leave me absolutely rapturous.  I cannot express my thanks enough.

My apologies for taking so long to leave feedback.  First, my internet access is somewhat intermittent and limited.  Second,  I got involved in testing/playing and was reluctant to quit for long enough to go through the hassle of getting connected. My bad. It was not that I was unappreciative, just that old bugaboo of never enough time to do everything I want to. I thought when I retired that I would have plenty of time for everything I wanted to do but I still don't have enough.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2011, 09:05:28 AM »
Hedgekat, don't worry. It's ok, really... All us simmers have our sim-lives and most of us also have real lives, that may sometimes get in the way. So there's no need to apologize for any delays in response, really!

I'm happy that some of my mods serve you so well. They work well for me, and for a lot of others, too. You may want to look at "BO - No Sim Loaded" and "BO - No Trash Memories" too, when you get a chance. The "No Sim Loaded" mod is the most popular thing I seem to have ever made, with currently over 800 downloads, so apparently I've done something right with that one :)

The twins side effect: actually, LFoS was holding your sims back, because it didn't truly fake the number of residents. It would report that there was room in the house, but the numbers already there were not adjusted, and the game takes those numbers into account when calculating the number of babies born. My mod actually always reports that only one sim lives on the lot, so there's way more chance of Twins or - if you use T&Q - other multiples.

The thing with the Ideal # of Kids in ACR: since TJ is no longer expected to go work on it, I'll have a look, see if I can find what needs to be done for you, ok? But in order to help my effort, I want you to do something for me: I'll need your latest hackreport.txt (the report that HCDU produces) so I can see if there are any conflicts that touch ACR which I should take into consideration. Also, I assume that we're talking about ACR 2 beta 5c here.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 09:13:22 AM by BoilingOil »

Offline hedgekat

• Highchair Hipster
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2011, 10:02:48 AM »
Yes, ACR2 beta 5c.    hackreport attached.

What's happened to TJ?  Has he quit modding?

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2011, 10:08:38 AM »
Cool! That report contains no conflict concerning ACR whatsoever, making my work a lot easier! Thank you...

As to your question about TJ... didn't you read this announcement? Because yes, he has thrown the towel into the ring. Our favorite modder is calling it quits. Read that whole thread, though, because this site isn't going down after all. We're working on saving Simbology!

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Superannuated Coffeeholic
    • Zephyr Zodiac @ 4-Shared
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2011, 10:12:00 AM »
And between us, we hope to be able to continue to offer useful advice about TJ's mods, for anyone experiencing either confusion or problems.
"All the world's a Neighbourhood, and all the men and women merely Sims."  ZephyrZodiac with apologies to Willie Waggledagger.

http://www.4shared.com/u/yCrnLoEP/Zephyr_Zodiac.html

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2011, 10:14:43 AM »
Indeed! That we do, and we will! :cheese:

Offline zolabee

• Ellipsis...Queen
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Some days are just after you!
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2011, 11:24:38 AM »
Which is a Godsend for the rest of us!   :thumb:

Offline simsfreq

• Talkative Toddler
    • My Sims 2 Livejournal
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2011, 12:11:03 PM »
I wondered if it might be something to do with the sims hitting their less fertile years by the time they got to baby #6. But the adjustment for children already born makes sense.

Perhaps it ought to be a + value if they have fewer than their ideal number but a - value if they have more?
Stories, gameplay discussion (ramblings really...) and posts about my creations and ideas for creations. http://simsfreq.livejournal.com/

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2011, 12:37:26 PM »
I think that that might have been the intention, simsfreq. But that should be a simple subtraction... "#kids-wanted minus #kids-existing" is positive if you want more than you have, and negative if you have more than you want. :)

The deminishing fertility theory is a lot more than theory, btw. But most people would be aware of that, and would give their sims some elixer, if they want them to procreate more... :)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 12:40:36 PM by BoilingOil »

Offline miros1

• Face Collector
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Face Collector
    • The Wooden Simolean
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2011, 03:09:27 PM »
One more hint to the new owners: Exchange email  addys amongst  yourselves before starting the transfer.  Do not rely on a half shutdown/started up BB for communication!

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2011, 03:16:22 PM »
Thanks for the tip, miros1 :bow: We already did that several days ago, though.

Offline hedgekat

• Highchair Hipster
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2012, 09:04:53 AM »
Well, the announcement of TJs leaving sent me to my closet to cry for several days. But I am very happy that the rest of you have been able to save Simbology. Thanks for your hard work.

In relation to my ACR problem I ran across an old doc of TJs about changing BCONS so I gave it a whack.  I couldn't find any BCONS for Ideal Family but I found a subroutine for it in BHAVS. However I couldn't figure out what it said. Went back to BCONS and changed some of the Aspiration adjustment figures then changed all the Existing kids figures to -10 except for baby, which I left at -25.

Testing shows some improvement in displaying the TFB dialog for sims who already have several children. Still don't get it for sims who already have 10 children and are wanting 12.  I'm trying to figure out how to replicate the Duggars. (reality TV family) They just had their 20th child and are still counting.

I was wrong in thinking lower numbered Ideal family got a consistent adjustment of +10.  I have set my younger sims for smaller ideals and have noted that two different sims set at Ideal 3 did NOT get +30. One had +40 and the other +20. The one with the +20 already had one child.

Concerning the fertility factor, I have them all set on static and INCREASE their fertility once out of their teens.  As hard as it is to get them to try for baby I want them to have a good chance to succeed. (85-90+%)

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2012, 10:12:31 AM »
Have you tried adjusting their Risky Pregnancy odds via the adjuster?  You may need to do this, and the normal Pregnancy Odds option as well, several times to maximise them.  Also, make sure you have got the global pregnancy odds as high as you can.
"All the world's a Neighbourhood, and all the men and women merely Sims."  ZephyrZodiac with apologies to Willie Waggledagger.

Offline hedgekat

• Highchair Hipster
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2012, 03:14:37 PM »
Yes, I  increased the Risky Pregnancy and have had that kick in a few times.  It's not a problem of getting them pregnant. The problem is they quit autonomously trying for baby and do not get the TFB dialogue even though they have not reached their Ideal Family #.

Something I did notice after changing the BCONS for # of existing kids. I left baby at -25 but that -25 is counted for one child even though the youngest is already a toddler.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2012, 03:46:48 PM »
Maybe your sims are trying to tell you something?

Offline hedgekat

• Highchair Hipster
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2012, 02:13:11 PM »
You mean, they don't WANT to have 20 children? *gasp*.  But, but, God and the government want them to.  For the good of the community. They must spread out upon this alien planet to ensure the survival of their species.  And having more children gains them STATUS and LUXURIES. The woman who bears the most children becomes QUEEN and no longer has to work.  The two founders both currently have 11 children each and only a short time before they become elders.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2012, 07:13:14 PM »
Well, would you want 20 children?

Offline Orilon

• Toddling Tot
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2012, 12:34:43 PM »
hedgekat, how close are they to elder?

If a Sim is 3-5 days away from elder, they are no longer fertile and can no longer have children. The woohoo option is there, but not try for baby.

By the way, Michelle Duggar miscarried the 20th baby, which should tell you something.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2012, 12:37:46 PM »
If you want to age them down to a fertile stage, use elixir, it's the only thing I've found that really works.

Offline hedgekat

• Highchair Hipster
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2012, 08:46:44 AM »
Would I want 20 children? Probably not, but 10 or 12 would have been nice. And my sim ladies are family sims who have popped up the want for 10 and the two who have reached that number still have more baby wants.

The problem is not being too close to elder.  The problem is in ACR. The menu still shows Try for Baby on the regular menu and also on the casual menu. They just don't do it autonomously and the TFB dialogue does not pop up.  And when it does pop up the adjustment for Ideal Family appears to be random. Yesterday one of the younger women (only recently transitioned from teen) got the popup and it showed +40 for Ideal Family. I checked and her IF is set at 12.  She already has 5 kids and is anxious for her next

I am hoping Boiling Oil  is able to figure out the Ideal Family subroutine.  It is beyond my skills.

Offline hedgekat

• Highchair Hipster
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2012, 02:01:57 PM »
The TFB dialogue is showing up again for all female sims. However the ideal family adjustment is still wacky.  I have gotten negative adjustments for 3 different sims.  -20 twice. Once for a teen who wanted 2 children and had just had twins.  Second was an older sim who wanted 12 and had 10.  Third was my eldest fertile sim.  She also wants 12 and has 11 and received -40 for her adjustment.

There appear to be several variables influencing this figure. Seems like it should be possible to make it a simple either/or.  Does #of children equal ideal #?  If yes, give -100 adjustment. If no, give +100 adjustment.  That would ensure that no matter how small or large a family the sim wanted they could achieve it.  And still have the possibility of an oopsie with risky woohoo.

Can anyone direct me to tutorials on how to modify BHAVs?