Author Topic: Official Sims 2 Patches  (Read 34319 times)

Offline Sleepycat

• Resident Hairball
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • meow!
Official Sims 2 Patches
« on: August 23, 2011, 03:11:05 PM »
If anyone needs them, the official patches for TS2 can be found at
-removed old link

If you haven't already, I suggest backing them up somewhere safe. It's possible that official TS2 site is gone for good.

Edit by BoilingOil: removed EA link that I added earlier, because EA no longer supports TS2.

Edited to supply link to the MTS download page.

http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:TS2_Patches
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 03:19:22 AM by Sleepycat »
TFM's Naughty Sims Asylum - home of my Sim stuff - SC4 Terrains, Sims, Hairy Skintones, Hoods and some clothes & stuff.

Offline mommasimplayer

• Drooling Diaperfiller
Re: Official Sims 2 Patches
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 04:00:02 PM »
How do the Patches work? I have never installed a patch... Not on purpose.  Do I need to?  I have just about all the Sims 2 stuff installed.  There are still a few Stuff Packs I have not purchased, but I am going to: like Ikea Stuff... and I think I'm missing Teen Style Stuff, but was I supposed to keep them up to date with the Patches?
 :hmm:

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Superannuated Coffeeholic
    • Zephyr Zodiac @ 4-Shared
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 04:19:56 PM »
The patches are self installing, and you do really need to install them to prevent problems with your game, and also if you use mods, then virtually all modders will have made their mods to work with a patched game.
"All the world's a Neighbourhood, and all the men and women merely Sims."  ZephyrZodiac with apologies to Willie Waggledagger.

http://www.4shared.com/u/yCrnLoEP/Zephyr_Zodiac.html

Offline mommasimplayer

• Drooling Diaperfiller
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 04:26:50 PM »
Oh wow... are there many? As soon as they send me the email confirmation that I am registered to that patch site I will go through them. I hope there isn't a specific order that everything needs to be in because I think my stuff is just all scattered  :nervous:

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 04:40:07 PM »
Just start with the Base Game and work up.   Sleepy posted those links when the official site was down, but you should be able to get them from there now, too.  BTW, I should have mentioned, if you have any combi packs, or Deluxe etc., those are already patched and you don't need to bother with them, just the single EPs.  Most of the stuff packs don't need patching, so it's not as bad as you think.

When you have patched, it's a good idea to search out the objects.package files and make them all Read Only to prevent corruption.
"All the world's a Neighbourhood, and all the men and women merely Sims."  ZephyrZodiac with apologies to Willie Waggledagger.

Offline mommasimplayer

• Drooling Diaperfiller
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 05:00:56 PM »
Thank You. I can't believe I have been playing for Years and I just never paid attention to all this.  I just enjoyed Building and Decorating the most... I have the Original Games, but my Base Game (started with) is Sims 2 Deluxe w Nightlife.  I have: Seasons, Pets, University, Open for Business, Free Time, Bon Voyage, Apartment Life... and H&M Fashion, Celebration, Kitchen & Bath and Last but not least... Mansion and Garden  :wink:

Offline mommasimplayer

• Drooling Diaperfiller
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 05:08:52 PM »
I'm also just realizing that I might have 2 Base Games.... No wonder the one won't go in.  I have Sims 2 Deluxe w Nightlife that did install, and I also have The Sims 2 Holiday Edition.  Good thing I also have the Sims 2 Happy Holiday Stuff since that second one is a waste.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 05:15:18 PM »
If you have a copy of the original Base Game, then if ever you do need to reinstall, I'd recommend that you use that rather than the DeLuxe edition, particularly if you want to use the Inteenimator.

Unfortunately, unlike the Sims 1 De Luxe, you can't have both, I think.  I remember having both when I played Sims 1, and somehow managed to add the EPs to both the original TS1 install and the De Luxe install!

Offline mommasimplayer

• Drooling Diaperfiller
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 05:41:46 PM »
So you're saying it's better to have the Single Sims 2 Base Game, and then buy the Nightlife separately? I'm sure I can find that one, but I'm not on the lookout for buying my missing Stuff Packs: Glamour Life, Family Fun, Teen Style and Ikea... and now the Nightlife. Wow, sux bunnies not to be organized lol. Everything out there now is Sims 3 and I'm not crazy about that game... only my daughter plays that.

Offline miros1

• Face Collector
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Face Collector
    • The Wooden Simolean
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 06:57:24 PM »
Several of us will gladly join in bashing Sims 3!

ZZ means use your Holiday Edition as your Base Game.  Not sure if you can use the delux disk to install only NL or if you'd have to buy that.  EPs  and SPs are way cheap on Amazon now, BTW.

Offline Orilon

• Toddling Tot
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2012, 09:32:14 PM »
I had to buy all of my Sims 2 discs at a used game store near me since all Wal-mart had was Sims 3. So you can look on Ebay, Amazon etc, or look at a local used games store near you to buy Sims 2. Its still out there, but more difficult since Sims 3 came out.

(I won't join in on the Sims 3 bashing since I play both. I switch between them based on my mood.)

Offline Dark_Author

• Administrator
  • Whining Whelp
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2012, 10:17:28 PM »
Personally, I've found that its best to install each patch immediatly after installing each individual game (and to install them all in order of release).  During one of my reinstalls, I forgot to patch and when I went to get the patches after the fact it said some of them were already installed, but I was having issues that I knew were fixed in the patches and had to reinstall and do it the long way.  The very first time I had to do a total reinstall, I didnt bother about the order I did it in and the game was acting weird...since then I've always reinstalled in the release order.

Click On Those, Please?

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2012, 04:27:13 AM »
Order and method!!!

Offline katsim

• Mushloving Mophead
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2012, 08:12:52 AM »
Just start with the Base Game and work up.   Sleepy posted those links when the official site was down, but you should be able to get them from there now, too.  BTW, I should have mentioned, if you have any combi packs, or Deluxe etc., those are already patched and you don't need to bother with them, just the single EPs.  Most of the stuff packs don't need patching, so it's not as bad as you think.

When you have patched, it's a good idea to search out the objects.package files and make them all Read Only to prevent corruption.

zephyrzodiac,  I was just reading this, concerning 'Deluxe' already being patched, does this include the DVD version of the base game, and if so will it have harmed it if I attempted to put the patch in, which I did  :yikes:  also would the dreaded SecuROM be on the DVD version of the base game.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 10:02:09 AM by katsim »

Offline simsfreq

• Talkative Toddler
    • My Sims 2 Livejournal
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2012, 09:07:22 AM »
You can usually buy the sims 2 games pretty cheaply preowned now, just make sure to check when you buy them that they have the manual in with the serial number, or you won't be able to install! Sometimes if the discs aren't in the boxes, the manual will be with the disc, so ask the checkout operator :)
Stories, gameplay discussion (ramblings really...) and posts about my creations and ideas for creations. http://simsfreq.livejournal.com/

Offline miros1

• Face Collector
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Face Collector
    • The Wooden Simolean
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2012, 10:12:39 AM »
SecuROM didn't rear its ugly head until BV, so everything up to and include Seasons (on single disks) is safe.  The DVD version of the base game came out at the same time as the CD version, so yes, it needs patched.

Amazon has the packs too,  some cheaper than used!

Offline katsim

• Mushloving Mophead
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2012, 04:32:40 AM »
Thank you miros1  :smile: Glad to know I don't have that horrid SecuROM on my pc, as for Amazon, I bought all my games from there at very good prices  :smile: all brand new disc's too  :smile:

Offline miros1

• Face Collector
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Face Collector
    • The Wooden Simolean
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2012, 10:23:19 AM »
When you're ready to install BV or newer, ask again, and we'll help you get the "noCD exes" so you won't get contaminated by SecuROM!

Offline katsim

• Mushloving Mophead
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2012, 10:30:02 AM »
Thanks miros1  :smile:

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2012, 11:23:51 AM »
Worth bearing in mind that EA screwed up pretty horrifically with the BV townies as regards their quite wierd relationships with such oddballs as the Grim Reaper, Bigfoot, Pollination Tech, etc., and it is quite a long and arduous job to remove all those relationships.  However, installing empty/cleaned up templates for BV is not such a good idea, as then when you take your sims on vacation, they meet absolutely no-one!  Also, if you intend to go ahead and install such a template, you should really patch first.

Offline mark93

• Talkative Toddler
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2012, 11:26:17 AM »
The link in the frist post is no longer valid, and the EA Sims 2 site for me is very hard to get to now.

I have all the patches if any one needs them.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2012, 11:29:41 AM »
http://thesims2.ea.com/update/index.php

This page is still available.

Offline miros1

• Face Collector
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Face Collector
    • The Wooden Simolean
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2012, 12:08:25 PM »
There are instructions on my site how to prevent the Maxis tourist families from spawning (No More Ugly Townies) and how to make your own (Make Your Own Townies).

Carefully read the top part and make sure you've got the hacks and objects necessary and that you've prepared your game properly by moving folders around.  You can skip the specific steps for making Townies, Dormies, Downtownies and Social Groupies and just do the ones for Tourists.  Then do the last part to put the folders back the way the were.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2012, 12:10:47 PM »
I think I might give that a go, although I don't mind most of the vacation townies, just the work that's involved in cleaning them up!  At least doing it your way should, hopefully, save them all being lumbered with those useless relationships!

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • We'll jump off that bridge when we come to it.
    • Leefish
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2012, 12:15:52 PM »
I've copied your link to the top post, ZZ. Hopefully that one stays up for a while yet...

"BO, Sir, you rock! :bow:" - TheISZ                           (banner design: eefje00704/Eva)

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2012, 12:50:53 PM »
Hope so.  In fact, I'm wondering if that's why the site that Sleepy originally linked to is no longer hosting various patches, etc. - copyright infringement?

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2012, 12:54:35 PM »
It *could* be. Sleepy's link did not lead to any EA-owned page, so it's a good possibility.

"BO, Sir, you rock! :bow:" - TheISZ                           (banner design: eefje00704/Eva)

Offline Aaroneous

• Mushloving Mophead
  • What can change the nature of man?
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2012, 10:04:04 AM »
For those who haven't heard the official Sims 2 site is being shut down January 16. Those that haven't backed up the patches I would consider doing that now.

(Banner By Sugah)

Offline mark93

• Talkative Toddler
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2012, 10:27:50 AM »
It will shut down on the 14th.

January 14, 2013 -- Online Services Shutdown
The Sims 2 for PC/MAC and TheSims2.com

Offline mookie

• Babbling Baby
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2012, 10:49:03 AM »
I found patches here http://simsvip.com/sims-games/patches/ , I dl'd the AL one ( for giggles) and it's properties after extraction matched the one I already had. It looks like some of the various types of patches needed for cd/dvd/digital versions may not be there, not sure. Anyway , another option if needed.

Offline Dark_Author

• Administrator
  • Whining Whelp
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2012, 11:01:28 AM »
Can we host them here?

Click On Those, Please?

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2012, 11:09:21 AM »
I'd say we not only *can*, D_A. The way I see it, we *should* host them, lest they'd be lost forever!

(that is, provided they don't exceed the 4MB size limit. Otherwise we will need to make other arrangements...)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 11:12:19 AM by BoilingOil »

Offline Dark_Author

• Administrator
  • Whining Whelp
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2012, 12:11:13 PM »
We should definately check, then.  I want them to continue to be available for as long as possible.  The game is really broken without those patches.

Click On Those, Please?

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2012, 12:16:11 PM »
I wish my system was working... I have all patches on an external drive, and could upload them. But alas, that's no option at the moment. :(

Offline Dark_Author

• Administrator
  • Whining Whelp
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2012, 12:17:40 PM »
I don't have any of them saved on my computer, but I can get them.  If no one else has them available, I'll get them later tonight after Obsydian goes to bed and make a thread to attach them to (assuming they arent too big).

What's wrong with your computer?  I *might* be able to help.

Click On Those, Please?

Offline mark93

• Talkative Toddler
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2012, 12:29:24 PM »
I have all of them including both cd and dvd verison and digtal. Over 400 mb total. AL is 93mb.

ADD: I also have the body shop tutorial and the Home Crafter Plus.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 12:36:50 PM by mark93 »

Offline Dark_Author

• Administrator
  • Whining Whelp
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2012, 12:35:52 PM »
We could attach the patch for each game individually, as long as none of them are over 400 mb by themselves.

Click On Those, Please?

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2012, 12:53:53 PM »
Sorry, but the max is only 4 MB per file, NOT 400!

D_A, I don't think anyone but me can do much about my system. There's a problem with one of my HDDs (I suspect the SSD drive) that causes fatal errors, resulting in the system to reboot every few minutes. The only thing I can do, is to replace the faulty hardware, but that also means reinstalling everything :(

Right now, I'm happy to do a lot of other stuff for which my iPad is sufficient, though. Maintaining Simbology is one of the main things I occupy myself with atm.

Offline Dark_Author

• Administrator
  • Whining Whelp
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2012, 01:43:26 PM »
Oops.  Sorry, BO!  Not sure where I pulled the 400 from.

Sorry about your system and I wish I could help. 

Click On Those, Please?

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2012, 02:38:10 PM »
Agreed!  It takes months to recover after having to reinstall everything... If only there was a reliable way of saving the Registry, one would only need to save everything to an external HD, and then copy it back again...

Offline mark93

• Talkative Toddler
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2012, 02:47:34 PM »
I use Acronis and save to x-trnal HD for safe keeping. As long as it is not a motherboard problem then you can restore to were you last run it. No mater the size.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2012, 02:49:35 PM »
The problem would be that even backing up the few most important things (My Documents/EA Games) is a challenge. The system may spontaneously reset while copying is in progress. I don't worry much about the rest, because I've become quite experienced in quickly reinstalling stuff.

I'll get all this done eventually, but right now I rather not think about it too much.

Offline FisherX

• Highchair Hipster
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2012, 03:10:08 PM »
I have all the patches  - if anyone needs...
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 03:13:57 PM by FisherX »

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2012, 03:20:21 PM »
The problem with the patches is the size.  E-mailing may not be possible, the only way to let someone have them really is to use a file-share site.  However, while the EA site is still available, there is a problem with copyright, which is probably why they are no longer available at the link Sleepy gave at the top of the thread.  Bear in mind that this thread was actually started at a time when the official site was down, and we were all rather afraid it was gone for good!

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2012, 04:07:39 PM »
Which, to me, simply means that we need to wait until after January 16 with sharing the files. :D

Offline Dark_Author

• Administrator
  • Whining Whelp
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2012, 04:41:37 PM »
True that.

Click On Those, Please?

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2012, 06:01:51 PM »
Oh, is that when EA plan to close the site?

Offline Aaroneous

• Mushloving Mophead
  • What can change the nature of man?
« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2012, 06:45:33 PM »
Originally on TS2's official site EA said  it would close on the 16th of January, But since has been changed to the 14th.

(Banner By Sugah)

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2012, 07:07:43 PM »
How mean!  They must know that Sims 2 stuff is still being sold at places like Amazon!  And they must know that a lot of us are not enamoured of Sims 3... 

Offline Orilon

• Toddling Tot
« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2012, 10:41:59 PM »
Maybe I'm just cynical, but my cynical theory is this is an attempt to get people to stop playing Sims 2 and start playing 3 anyway so they can get the money from EPs and SPs and Store Items.