Author Topic: Simsfreq's co-sleeper for babies AND teen jobs/school overhaul - Update 10/11/14  (Read 17798 times)

Offline simsfreq

• Talkative Toddler
    • My Sims 2 Livejournal
I was hoping to link to the LJ post I have waiting to go live for these, but I can't get on LJ at the moment, so I guess you guys get the first peek  :wink:

Firstly my co-sleeper mat for babies and toddlers. I posted about this a while ago and while I have given up for the time being on enabling the nurse while sleeping function, it does still make cute pictures and is handy in very cramped houses, or for poor sims. Just place it on the left side of a double bed, from top-down view (or indeed a single bed) and use like a normal crib. Invisible version and crib bedding match recolours in the same package. (They are now both there. Please redownload if you want colours, they're just maxis colours though.)

Note: You need moveobjects on to place this item.

Edit 25 July 2015: Finally decided to add some pictures.

The animations are closer and there will appear to be a "drop" but it looks okay.

You can create a bed guard by using some CC curtains, screens or wall art, moveobjects and the [ ] keys to shift them down into position.

Snapobjects false and moveobjects can lead to some crowded, but cute, sleeping set ups.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 06:27:44 AM by simsfreq »
Stories, gameplay discussion (ramblings really...) and posts about my creations and ideas for creations. http://simsfreq.livejournal.com/

Offline simsfreq

• Talkative Toddler
    • My Sims 2 Livejournal
Re: Simsfreq's co-sleeper for babies AND teen jobs/school overhaul
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 05:35:36 AM »
Teen school/career overhaul

I never liked the way all the teen jobs were after school with pretty much the same hours. Or the fact that teens finish so early in the first place, so I decided to change it. I've pruned these files down as much as I possibly can, to reduce the strain on your downloads folder and also hopefully reduce conflicts. I've been playtesting them for a few months now and they seem to work fine, but of course if you have any issues do post.

Uni careers:
Four teen careers to match the adult uni careers. If your teen grows up while holding one of these jobs, they will be promoted to the appropriate career, without needing a degree. If they go on to lose the job as an adult however, they will then be like any other non-graduate - all of the uni careers will be unavailable to them on the computer or newspaper.

University careers

For some levels I have copied text straight from the adult career, in others I have created new low-level jobs, complete with chance cards. I have tried to stick to the Maxis "style" of writing as much as possible to keep these careers true to the game. Wages are consistent with other teen jobs and adult equivalent positions.

These jobs have the same sort of hours as the rest in my "overhaul" collection. I'm not planning on making any uni-compatible careers with the usual Maxis part time hours, but if anybody wants to use my files to create some for sharing, that's fine with me. It's extremely simple to change job hours using the career editor included in SimPE, so even if you've never modded before, give it a try!

Note: These uni careers are ONLY in English (both UK and US). My reason for not translating is that there are so few players of Sims 2 left, that I felt it would take a lot of time and effort which may not in fact benefit many players. Because I've used most of the equivalent adult jobs' text, though, it would not take me long to extract and put in the translated strings in for any one particular language at a time, so if anybody would prefer these in a language other than English, please let me know and I can do that to request.

The icons for the Artist career were showing as NatSci instead - now fixed.
Language strings changed to English for all languages rather than pulling the old career's text (Business or slacker) - Fixed.

The new files are a lot bigger, probably because of the languages. But it wasn't showing up for UK English and was bugging me.

The other careers:
Rar files separated by EP, to make it easier. (The base game rar includes the readme, which is a shortened version of this post) I think the Uni ones might work with any game, as they are full careers, but I don't know what would happen when they age transition to adult, so I wouldn't recommend using them without Uni unless you particularly want to test it. The Seasons and Freetime careers won't work at all without the relevant EP as they just modify the existing careers, but they shouldn't harm if you grab them accidentally.

Base Game careers
Seasons careers
Freetime careers

Teen careers have been changed so they more accurately reflect a realistic working week. These may be a bit pointless to use if you have the maxis ageing in place - they work best if your teen has at least 2 or 3 in-game days to every real life "year", especially if you only want them to get a job part way through their teenhood (in this case I recommend playing at least 3 or 4 days per year).

There are now three types of job - after school/evening, weekend, and apprenticeship style. The apprenticeship style jobs are designed to be used with the college school I created, though you could use Inge's free school, or any other homeschooling method, as well. I have also brought the wages in line with both the adult careers and each other, so there is a consistency to the hourly wages. There is still variation between careers - "desirable" careers like athletic and show business pay poorly, shop work and waitressing is going to pay less than being a security guard or a military recruit, but a teen will never be paid more than an adult per hour for doing the same job. In fact, because of differences in hours worked per week, you should be able to find a job to suit any teen or elder's circumstance, whether they are working for experience, a little bit of pocket money, or whether they need to support a young family. The lowest paid job actually pays $0 at level one, with the highest level three job paying out $1,104 over the week.

For further detail of each career including weekly pay, hourly pay and specific hours/days as well as compatibility with the three main schools, I've created a spreadsheet which you can download here. (Opens in Excel including older versions, or OpenOffice) - use the "sort" functions to get the best out of this.

The schools:
These all come in one rar, so just delete any you don't want. Also includes the readme. It's the same as the other one so safe to overwrite whichever you unrar first.

All 4 schools

Teensfinishat3public - Teens finish school at 3pm like their younger siblings, as long as they attend the default (public) school.
Everyonefinishat4private - Both teens and children attending private school will finish at 4pm.

*Compatability notes: Both of these files change ONLY the length of the school day. If you aren't seeing the effects of them, make sure they load after any other school type hacks. They will not conflict with TJ's school bus or bring friend home hacks, any custom schools, or any kind of homework hack.

Two new custom schools:
Commcollege - a community college type school. Hours are 9am - 4pm, days Mon, Tue, Thu. This is intended to work with the apprenticeship-style jobs, but with a catch - that Thursday is a working day in most of the careers. This is by design - it's intended to make it harder to keep your grades up and make the sixth form more academic by comparison. The only apprenticeship job which takes the Thursday into account is the Education career - the others expect you to choose.

Sixthform - in England and Wales, teenagers can legally leave school at 16, but those who want to go to university usually carry on into the sixth form. Most of the part time jobs work easily with this, but the apprenticeship style ones will clash. Hours are 10am - 1pm, Mon-Fri.

In both schools chance cards provide random skill gains, which should help with preparation for either work or university. Changing a child to these schools won't break anything, but they won't be able to truly attend - just 9-3 like the normal school.

You will need Inge's school changer to be able to change teens to these schools, I don't know of another way of doing it. Get it here: http://www.drealm.info/simlogical/sl/Sims2Pages/Sims2_Schooltypes.htm

NOTE: The two custom schools, for reasons outlined above, are only available in English (UK and US enabled). If you would like either or both in a different language, please contact me, I am happy to translate on request, although for these, because I do not have any other language strings to pull from, I'd appreciate if you would be able to help with the translation unless you're happy with a crappy google translate version :)

The other schools and careers will be fully language supported as I haven't touched the language strings, just the start & end times, days and wages.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 04:36:32 AM by simsfreq »
Stories, gameplay discussion (ramblings really...) and posts about my creations and ideas for creations. http://simsfreq.livejournal.com/

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Superannuated Coffeeholic
    • Zephyr Zodiac @ 4-Shared
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 07:34:25 AM »
This sounds really interesting, and I might just try it out, although at present I do use the default aging, so I imagine I would need to switch to a modified aging for the careers to actually reach the maximum level.  But congratulations on such a lot of hard work! :thumb:
"All the world's a Neighbourhood, and all the men and women merely Sims."  ZephyrZodiac with apologies to Willie Waggledagger.

http://www.4shared.com/u/yCrnLoEP/Zephyr_Zodiac.html

Offline twoftmama

• Toddling Tot
  • Dynamite comes in small packages!
    • TFM's Naughty Sims Asylum
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 04:12:28 PM »
Snagged the co sleeper. Cool idea! Thanks!  :thumb:
TFM's Naughty Sims Asylum

If the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left handed people are in their right mind.

Offline zolabee

• Ellipsis...Queen
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Some days are just after you!
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 07:41:38 PM »
That co sleeper is a great idea!  :thumb: Thanks!  Will be getting soon! 

Offline Master-Sephiroth

• Toddling Tot
  • I wear the Black Cape around here!
    • Role Players' Domain
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 03:16:49 AM »
This sounds like a really interesting idea. I have a mod that sets aging so that 1 Sim day equals 1 human month, so I might try those teen job and school mods.
Because in Soviet Russia... motives decay YOU!
Running The Sims 2 with the University, Nightlife, Open for Business and Seasons EPs.
My Blog: http://39thflooroffice.blogspot.com/

Offline MysteryIslandKid

• Toddling Tot
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2011, 02:53:12 PM »
I really like this Simsfreq!

The cosleep makes so much sense, my parents slept with me in the bed when I was a baby, because SIDS was rampant and babies who co-slept with parents were never effected they believed.

I love Inge's schools use them all the time want to try your schools because there should be trade schools.
I don't drink, don't smoke, what do I do?
Tim Hortons, CocaCola, pets, and downloading Sims stuff my vice PDW!

Offline simsfreq

• Talkative Toddler
    • My Sims 2 Livejournal
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2011, 02:57:47 PM »
I co-slept with my son until he was 2 :) He's the only child I know now who likes bedtime... Interestingly in societies where co-sleeping is the norm (Japan for example) they don't even have a word for cot death (SIDS) because it is so rare. Of course there are risks if you do it unsafely, but not for sims!

I think I forgot to say that you need moveobjects on to place it, never worked out that part of the code, I will go and update the OP.

Offline Wolfenblu

• Talkative Toddler
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2011, 04:46:07 PM »
MIK told me about this, I am not surprised your parents co-slept with you, because it is ordinary for Native American people to do this. My son had a carry basket when he was small but he never had a cot. He got a toddler bed when he was two. He had a sleeping mat naps, now my older son has it as a dog bed for his dog lol. I was thrilled when AL had them. I have sleeping pads in my Freetime game, but this is brilliant thank you so much Simsfreq. I wish I would have had it for Mick's story because he slept with his son Jeremy.

All these things are nice.

Offline Nyxie

• Talkative Toddler
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2011, 09:24:18 PM »
I love the co-sleeper. I sleep with my new baby, and I did the same with my older son. I also love that you thought about nursing while sleeping, even though it didn't work out. Some of my favorite moments are feeding my babies in the middle of the night, laying in bed while the house is quiet. Thanks so much for this!

I also wanted to say the picture with the baby totally under the blankets made me laugh. Good thing the sims don't have to worry about stuff like that.
"If a rabbit defined intelligence the way man does, then the most intelligent animal would be a rabbit, followed by the animal most willing to obey the commands of a rabbit" - Robert Brault

Offline simsfreq

• Talkative Toddler
    • My Sims 2 Livejournal
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2011, 02:10:31 AM »
I'm glad you guys like the idea :) In fact with my new computer I can now load up SimPE and it doesn't grind everything else to a halt, so perhaps I will get back to the nursing part some day.

Yes I feel I should put a disclaimer by the covered-up baby: Don't try this in real life :P

Offline OrderedComa

• Babbling Baby
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2014, 03:10:55 PM »
I apologize profusely for the necropost, I know they're frowned on almost everywhere online and if they are loosely permitted, like on here, should be used extremely sparingly, but I had a couple questions about Simsfreq's co-sleeper mod, namely, up to what version(s) of the game it's compatible with and what exactly needs to be done with it in order for it to work besides using Move Objects.

I already have it in my game, and it does show up (though I've only seen the invisible version) in Buy Mode and I can place it in the world, but as soon as I put it down anywhere it just seems to completely vanish and act like it's no longer there at all, despite deducting money for placing it. So I was curious as to what exactly I needed to do for the co-sleeper to be placed properly and if it'd be compatible with the latest version(s) of the game. It sounds like a really cool mod and it's definitely something I'd love to use.

Sorry again about the necropost/bump.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2014, 01:07:16 AM »
I looked at the Readme, and I think moveobjects on is all you need.  However, Simsfreq doesn't say if Left means looking towards the top, or from the sleeping sim's point of view, so make sure you are using the correct side.  I also think it likely, if you have a normal crib in the house, there is at least a 50/50 chance the sims will take the baby to that.
"All the world's a Neighbourhood, and all the men and women merely Sims."  ZephyrZodiac with apologies to Willie Waggledagger.

Offline OrderedComa

• Babbling Baby
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2014, 01:51:44 PM »
I guess I'll just have to try and play around with it a little more...it should show up in the world regardless though after I place it shouldn't it? That's how every single object I've ever used in-game has worked. The main problem I've been running into is the co-sleeper mat just seeming to disappear completely after I put it down and not even having the option to put babies/toddlers in the bed :/ But yeah, I'll just see play around with different ways to place it in the world and see if I can get it to work eventually.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 04:23:20 PM by zephyrzodiac »

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2014, 02:02:15 PM »
I think the Readme states that the baby may appear to disappear into the bed, so maybe the mat does that, too?

Right, I put it into my FT game and it works fine.  You have to place it lengthways, with the arrows pointing to the edge of the bed, then click somewhere below the pillow.  I have pics, but it's virtually impossible to find them in W7, yet another advantage of XP!

It does seem, though, that you can only remove it by selling the bed.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 04:24:32 PM by zephyrzodiac »

Offline OrderedComa

• Babbling Baby
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2014, 07:25:36 PM »
Well at least I know where to start then :D I should be able to figure this out the next time I play now that I know what to look for. And yeah, if it's working in FT, probably won't be any problems running the mod in the UC version of the game. Thanks for all the help ZZ, that's one of the things I love about this little community, just how helpful everyone is :)

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2014, 11:38:51 PM »
We aim to please..... :halo:

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • We'll jump off that bridge when we come to it.
    • Leefish
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2014, 03:59:30 AM »
Sorry I wasn't here during this whole discussion. Not that I have anything to add regarding the co-sleeper, though.

Just about the necromancy: don't worry too much about it, OrderedComa. As long as your post is relevant to the thread you place it in (requirement met) and it adds something new to it, like it's a never before made observation or a question that hasn't been asked/answered before (also met), we consider it better to just keep the stuff together, than to have it spread out all over the place - one bit in this thread and the next bit in another, even while they are so intimately related. No, I see no necromancy. I see a logical continuation of the thread. Thank you for expressing your concern, though. :D
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 04:01:02 AM by BoilingOil »

"BO, Sir, you rock! :bow:" - TheISZ                           (banner design: eefje00704/Eva)

Offline Imalia

• Toddling Tot
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2014, 11:04:44 AM »
Something just occured to me, OrderedComa.  What you're describing could very well be a conflict with another object. 

I was working on a wedding arch earlier and had the same prblem on testing.  It was in the catalogue, but would just vanish on placing in world.  Turned out to be a guid conflict with a sub-guid on a custom double bed.  Because it wasn't the main guid, one wasn't over-writing the other in the catalogue, but they were both stopping each other from working.

Offline OrderedComa

• Babbling Baby
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2014, 11:40:21 AM »
@Imalia: I got it to work last night when I was playing, or at least had the option of putting the baby in the bed anyway, so I know it's working, I guess it's just naturally invisible...you might be right about why it disappears when putting it in the world. But the option to use it is still there at the very least so sure seems like it's working right. I can definitely place the co-sleeper on the bed and then have the correct option to use it.

Sorry I wasn't here during this whole discussion. Not that I have anything to add regarding the co-sleeper, though.

Just about the necromancy: don't worry too much about it, OrderedComa. As long as your post is relevant to the thread you place it in (requirement met) and it adds something new to it, like it's a never before made observation or a question that hasn't been asked/answered before (also met), we consider it better to just keep the stuff together, than to have it spread out all over the place - one bit in this thread and the next bit in another, even while they are so intimately related. No, I see no necromancy. I see a logical continuation of the thread. Thank you for expressing your concern, though. :D

Hehe, yeah, I'd PMed ZZ about necroposting before coming here and she said much the same thing, still felt the need to apologize though as not everyone might feel the same way all the time ^^' Simbology's way of handling necromancy is certainly the most efficient way to handle it. I've always felt much the same way about the subject, as long as an old thread is being revived with something relevant and is actually adding to the subject it shouldn't really be viewed as necromancy. Glad I met the requirements for not being a necromancer.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2014, 11:41:51 AM »
This toddler mat is, in fact, invisible.  All you see are the green arrows.  I checked with HCDU, and no conflict with any toddler or bed related mods in my game.  William is still a baby, so I don't know whether cribgetoutall will work, but I can't see any reason why it shouldn't, since the game *sees* a crib!

Would be a great spacesaver for those playing AL, I think...

And the bed is still usable for those important little moments...
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 11:46:23 AM by zephyrzodiac »

Offline OrderedComa

• Babbling Baby
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2014, 10:28:12 AM »
I don't know if another mod would allow a toddler to get out of the bed, but the toddler I put in when I was playing last night just kept cycling through the lie down to sleep/wake up  and then stand up and cry to get out animations once its energy motive was full. So I don't think that toddlers can get out on their own with the normal defaults of the game.

It really is a good spacesaver if you're playing in a small house or in an apartment, that's a pretty great idea.

It certainly is, though the animations cause a Sim to squash the baby when they're getting into or out of the bed :P

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2014, 10:36:56 AM »
I think, like one has to for many mods, one needs to *suspend one's disbelief* when animations are not all one would hope for.

The game default would not allow the toddler to get out of the bed, as the sleep mat is not based on a toddler bed that toddlers can get into, out of and dress themselves.  However, I think cribgetoutall from Simlogical just might work.

Offline simsfreq

• Talkative Toddler
    • My Sims 2 Livejournal
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2014, 04:01:24 AM »
Hi - I've only just seen this, sorry to have missed the discussion! I'm glad it's working now. I don't know why it would disappear except if you're using the invisible version, but the GUID thing sounds plausible. If you want it to show up, choose a different colour from the catalogue or use the recolour tool. It's a fairly big grabbable area, just around where the baby lies, and shouldn't sink into the bed.

Edit: OOHHHH.  :blush: I'm sorry. Somehow I must have got mixed up when I uploaded it in the first place, because the file in the .rar is the invisible only version. Fixing that now (along with the teen career icons which I came here to fix in the first place!)

I'm afraid the animations are just the crib animations. Toddlers will be able to get out if they have learned to walk, just like the normal crib. But they'll climb over an invisible rail to do so. Cribgetoutall should work with it - the game sees this as a perfectly normal crib.

There did used to be pictures on the original post showing the positioning but I think they must have been lost in the server migration, and I don't have any any more. But ZZ's picture is perfect :) You can place it on the other side or the foot of the bed too, it just looks strange because the baby lies the wrong way around.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 04:22:43 AM by simsfreq »

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
Simsfreq, unless AL changed things, I don't think walking toddlers can get out of the crib without Inge's mod - mine don't, they just scream until they're blue in the face and then sit down.  Obviously, there must have been the intention for it to be possible, as I don't think Inge made the animations, just used what was available, but I've never seen it without the mod.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
I *have* seen it, once or twice, and I'm not using Inge's mod for certain. I wasn't planning to ever give the li'l buggers that much freedom; they're already too much under foot! :rofl:

"BO, Sir, you rock! :bow:" - TheISZ                           (banner design: eefje00704/Eva)

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
Sounds to me like EA intended it to happen at first, then changed their minds but didn't hide it completely from the little devils! :smile:  Maybe it's walking + smart milk that triggers it?

Offline OrderedComa

• Babbling Baby
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2014, 10:52:58 AM »
Hi - I've only just seen this, sorry to have missed the discussion! I'm glad it's working now. I don't know why it would disappear except if you're using the invisible version, but the GUID thing sounds plausible. If you want it to show up, choose a different colour from the catalogue or use the recolour tool. It's a fairly big grabbable area, just around where the baby lies, and shouldn't sink into the bed.

Edit: OOHHHH.  :blush: I'm sorry. Somehow I must have got mixed up when I uploaded it in the first place, because the file in the .rar is the invisible only version. Fixing that now (along with the teen career icons which I came here to fix in the first place!)

I'm afraid the animations are just the crib animations. Toddlers will be able to get out if they have learned to walk, just like the normal crib. But they'll climb over an invisible rail to do so. Cribgetoutall should work with it - the game sees this as a perfectly normal crib.

There did used to be pictures on the original post showing the positioning but I think they must have been lost in the server migration, and I don't have any any more. But ZZ's picture is perfect :) You can place it on the other side or the foot of the bed too, it just looks strange because the baby lies the wrong way around.

Thanks for taking the time to respond, and hey, better late than never and not getting any replies at all. I'll definitely be downloading the fixed/originally intended version, make things a lot easier if I have actual recolors if I wish.

I have had a toddler get out of a normal crib at least once (not using any mods to allow it as far as I know), so I expect if I start using the co-sleeper much more frequently I might see it happen with that as well. I've mostly just been using it for the babies though as Sims seem to behave really weirdly around the co-sleeper. They'll put toddlers with low energy in it, but then they won't let them actually sleep and they all play "everyone grab the toddler" and start putting them into and out of the bed again or cycling them through the different places for toddlers to sleep :dry: And except for the one time I've never gotten a toddler to actually sleep on it :/ But other than that it's always worked perfectly and is a great thing to have available, it's nice having a semblance of reality where babies can actually sleep with their parents like many do in real life.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
Do you have TJ's No Baby Toddler Swarming?  If not, give it a try.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
Sounds to me like EA intended it to happen at first, then changed their minds but didn't hide it completely from the little devils! :smile:  Maybe it's walking + smart milk that triggers it?

Smart Milk might indeed be another requirement. The only times I saw them do it, was before I rationed Smart Milk to at the most one bottle just before growing up, just to trigger the bug. But nowadays I hardly do *that* anymore either, to be totally frank. Making it too easy on them is no fun, after all. Who needs 70 skill-point kids? There is nothing new for them to learn except maxing all hobbies and getting all badges, and I've done *that* too, already.

Offline OrderedComa

• Babbling Baby
Do you have TJ's No Baby Toddler Swarming?  If not, give it a try.

Downloaded both that and BO's Less Toddler Annoyance mod. Except for that one issue where they all want to swarm the co-sleeper, they're both working like they should (at least I think they are anyway, I don't ever get more than one person taking care of a baby or toddler when they actually need it).

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
In the house where I used the co-sleeper I definitely had no problem with parents or siblings autonomously going to pick up the baby.  Sound to me like you have sims who are low on social - in such cases they will, indeed, go and molest the poor, tired baby!  Have them all making phone calls (use Pescado's phonehack and autosoc) and there should be no problem.  Also, don't let your sims be idle!

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
Those two mods should also work reasonably well together, despite a couple of load-order style conflicts. But obviously, not all swarming can ever be eliminated. It is possible that the co-sleeper - being cloned off a crib, I understand - is impervious to these mods, or even bypasses them completely. Such things have been known to occur.

And yes, I totally concur with ZZ's sugestions: keep your active sims active, and let them socialize with others. That has always done well for me, too.

Offline OrderedComa

• Babbling Baby
I don't think socialization is much of an issue, my Simmies all usually have that motive full all of the time, and I usually just use the "max motives" cheat or have the de-bug options active, so even if they aren't actively socializing it never really winds up being a problem :rolleyes: It certainly wasn't social needs they were trying to fill at least with this issue, since they didn't anything with the toddler except take them off the co-sleeper, put them down, then pick them up again to take them to another suitable place for toddlers to sleep...I think it has something to do with the toddlers just not going to sleep on the co-sleeper in my game *shrug* I'm wondering if it has anything to do with my toddlers always being too close to the energy desperation stage when this happens or if that has any affect on things...

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
No, I've seen the same thing: if there are multiple places where the kid *could* sleep, some parents just keep moving the pod around. Most Servos tend to do it too, which I found so annoying that I stopped building them. I thought there was some kind of object that fixed this to a degree. Something Pescado made, I believe. I *do* remember that it didn't function to *my* satisfaction, but others were quite pleased with it. If only I remembered what that thingy was. Some fake toy... (??)

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
The only fake toy that I'm aware of is Kick-the-Cheat, and I can't see that that would have any effect, although sims will walk to the edge of a 6x4 lot in order to kick it!

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
I think it was some object that allowed you to assign one and only one sim to take care of the little diaper filler. Maybe it was Inge's, not Pescado's?

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
You mean Pescado's Baby Control, I think.

FEATURES:
Are you tired of your sim's inept baby-care skills? Here is something new and
more awesome: It tells your sims how to do it instead. When combined with the
anti-harassment package, it is truly awesome. More awesome than YOU, anyway.
Family members of the baby, or nannies, will be directed to take care of the
babies as needed. Whether you're just inept, or merely lazy, the eye in the
sky has got you covered.

I. PROCESS BABIES/TODDLERS IGNORE/MANAGE
    Enables or disables the management of babies or toddlers.

II. PROCESS BOTTLES IGNORE/DISPOSE/DISINTEGRATE
    Decides what you want to do with used bottles: Ignore them and let you deal
    with them yourself, instruct a sim to dispose of it, or vaporize them as if
    you went to buy mode and deleted them.

III. OPTION: LOBOTOMIZE NANNY ON/OFF
    Enables or disables a lobotomy-equipped nanny's standard baby care loops.
    If the nanny is lobotomized it will spend its paid time wandering around
    your lot doing autonomous visitor crap until the baby controller directs it
    to perform child care. If not-lobotomized, it will harass your children as
    normal. See description of Lobotomy Package for details.

IV. OPTION: MANUAL OVERRIDE ON/OFF
    If the override is enabled, the baby or toddler will not be directed to do
    anything while it is selected, or a valid selected caregiver is present in
    the room with it, allowing you to perform a manual interaction without
    being interrupted.

V. ALWAYS SMART MILK ON/OFF
    If this option is enabled, toddlers will preferentially always be fed smart
    milk, in hopes of triggering the smart milk emitter bug which sometimes
    causes them to retain the skill bonus into childhood, or maybe because you
    just like doing it.

VI. WARNING BOX ON/OFF
    If this option is enabled, a warning dialog will appear once per half-hour
    if a baby requires attention but its relatives are all busy.

VII. EMERGENCY STOP/RESUME
    If the emergency stop is chosen, all baby controller options are suspended
    until resumed. Useful if the controller has gone berserk or you have
    other big plan in mind.

COMPATIBILITY:
Compatible with all FFS hacks. Tested for TS2 v1.0p2 - TSNL v1.0p1. Recommended
supporting packages include "Lobotomized Nanny" and "No Baby Harassment".

SIDE EFFECTS:
May cause computer damage, incontinence, explosion of user's head, coma, death,
and/or halitosis.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
That's it! :thumb:

Offline simsfreq

• Talkative Toddler
    • My Sims 2 Livejournal
I don't use Baby Control (it does too much for my preference) but this works excellently: http://www.simlogical.com/sl/Sims2Pages/Sims2_Childcare.htm

Alreadyincrib fix. Works for all custom cribs too.

With climbing out: They have definitely always done this, I remember seeing a toddler do it before I even knew what a mod was! They must be able to walk though and they won't do it on the first cycle of screaming, they'll sit down as though giving up first, but they're just resting. I think it's after the second or third scream cycle that they get bored and climb out, very cute. I usually can't bring myself to let them scream for long enough, though. (And TBH, if I can, then I probably didn't care about them long enough to teach them to walk!)

BTW, I have found if you place a blind or painting next to the bed with moveobjects, and use the [ and ] keys to pull it down, it makes quite a nice looking "guard" to stop them falling out (although of course they won't fall out anyway) and doesn't prevent the adult from getting into bed - they do clip through it of course when getting in/out. At some point I'll perhaps recolour one so it looks like a bed guard and not a painting, but it's working for me for now.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
It's odd, my teens will occasionally go and tuck a toddler in once they've become friends, but I rarely, if ever, have anyone get a baby out of a crib until they need to be fed.

Offline simsfreq

• Talkative Toddler
    • My Sims 2 Livejournal
You don't have all EPs IIRC? I think it came with one of them, because in my unmodded AGS up to nightlife, they never do this, and I don't remember it ever happening when I didn't have so many EPs.

In fact that fits, because on that page Inge says it only affects custom cribs and newer cribs, the only new crib was added with Freetime. So if you stick to only the "Kinder Koddler" then you shouldn't get the problem, but if you have at least one of the FT cribs or a custom crib on the lot it will happen. (But it might have only become broken when they added the FT crib!)

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
I never, ever use the BG crib, always either the FT or a custom crib, and I don't get the problem.  But I do use TJ's No Baby/Toddler Swarming, not Pescado's NoBaby Harassment, as I found it works better (TJ made it because Pes's original mod wasn't working the way he wanted it to work.)

Offline simsfreq

• Talkative Toddler
    • My Sims 2 Livejournal
Ah yes, No Baby Toddler Swarming has the already in crib fix built in too. I don't use that any more, because it disables visitors from being able to interact with babies and toddlers. That was useful back when one of the unpatched versions had a bug which would let visitors "steal" toddlers by accident if they happened to be holding one when they had to leave the lot due to motive failure, and it's useful if you invite friends over to interact with the *adults* rather than cooing over the baby, but I thought it was cute.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
Dunno, my sims have visitors who definitely interact with toddlers,  and family members will get the baby out of the crib and get it a bottle.  (In fact, I have had toddlers who became best friends with a visitor, and one who became best friends with the maid (Kaitlynn) because she asked for attention - food - and for some reason maids can't feed toddlers, but they can hold them for hours.)