Author Topic: package.package.package??? What does this mean?  (Read 4945 times)

adelegarland

package.package.package??? What does this mean?
« on: June 27, 2008, 06:58:32 AM »
I wonder if anyone knows... Why do some packages have two or more .package extensions on the end of their file name?  Is this a problem?  should I change their names to have only one?  Or should I ignore them?

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Superannuated Coffeeholic
    • Zephyr Zodiac @ 4-Shared
Re: package.package.package??? What does this mean?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 07:54:05 AM »
Sometimes Clean Installer will do this if there is already a copy of that file in your folders - and if you yourself don't have Clean Installer, it could be that the uploader of the file did, and that is how it happened.  You should check first that it is the only copy you have, doing a normal Windows search through your Downloads.  If it is, it's perfectly OK to remove the extra .package extensions - in fact, if you don't do this, the file won't appear in your game anyway.

If the file came with a house, and you used the Game Installer to install the house, you will have a very long filename ending with _0001.package, _0002.package etc. if there are a number of duplicate files.  I'd suggest that, if you don't have Clean Installer, then you get it from Mod the Sims 2, and use it to check your Downloads folder for duplicate files, shown in pink, and empty .packages, also shown in pink.  And then use it to unpack houses.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 07:58:09 AM by zephyrzodiac »
"All the world's a Neighbourhood, and all the men and women merely Sims."  ZephyrZodiac with apologies to Willie Waggledagger.

http://www.4shared.com/u/yCrnLoEP/Zephyr_Zodiac.html

Offline Simmerqueen

• Her Royal Hind-Ass
  • Whining Whelp
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 10:48:14 AM »
This reminds me - with Clean Installer when I dl'd three houses I only got one composite listing for the lot.  Aren't I supposed to get a complete list of all the individual files that make it up?  I have only dl'd Sleepy's and Emma's so I'm not worried, but if I did decide to dl any other ones from creators I am not so familiar with, I would want it to do this so I could see exactly what I am getting.  I must not have it set up correctly, I'm thinking... :hmm:
"Life is too short to waste on stupid people."

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 10:56:40 AM »
Well, you only get a listing if there's cc in the house - if it's Maxis only, then it's all contained in the lot segment so you don't get a list.

If you get a house with a lot of cc, then once you have installed the house, you will have a load of loose files in your Downloads folder.   The first thing to do is to check them through with Clean Installer (use recursive mode and check the entire Downloads folder) for duplicates.  Be careful to remove the duplicate you have just installed, not the one you've already got neatly filed (I usually do this manually, and don't use the option on the Installer, so I'm sure I have the right one.)  Once you have done this, sort out any remaining walls, floors etc. and file them wherever you normally put them, and then look at the remaining objects.  I usually make a folder with the name of the house and stick the remaining files in it, then run a check for any that I don't have meshes for.  If I want that particular item, then I get the mesh, if I can live without it, I just delete the recolour.
"All the world's a Neighbourhood, and all the men and women merely Sims."  ZephyrZodiac with apologies to Willie Waggledagger.

Offline Simmerqueen

• Her Royal Hind-Ass
  • Whining Whelp
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 01:05:48 PM »
Ahhh, that explains it as the ones I dl'd had no CC.  Good hints though in case I decide to range further afield!   :thumb:
"Life is too short to waste on stupid people."

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 01:10:34 PM »
Watch out, too, for houses that were built and uploaded when you got every cc recolour the creator has in their game - unless you want all those recolours..... I think, if you download and install a dozen houses, you could easily end up with around 1,000 recolours of the Arizona Set from Holy Simoly!  :lol:

Offline kacidama

• BFBVFS
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2008, 07:47:07 AM »
you could easily end up with around 1,000 recolours of the Arizona Set from Holy Simoly!  :lol:

...and what would be wrong with that?

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2008, 09:07:14 AM »
Load time?  :wink:  I'm not saying throw them away, just be aware they are all there, and it will take you ten minutes to scroll through the Arizona menus for the recolour you want!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 09:08:56 AM by zephyrzodiac »

Offline yetyak

• Tempermental Tyke
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2008, 01:25:10 PM »
You'll also get a bazillion recolors of Numenor's Modular Deck Stairs.  I must have nearly every recolor ever made of them and the Arizona set.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2008, 02:37:51 PM »
Those too!  The worst thing about it, in my opinion, is the size of the Sims2Pack this entails, a problem for people with slow Internet connections, and costly for the website which they are downloaded from.

Offline yetyak

• Tempermental Tyke
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2008, 10:39:28 AM »
Especially if you are also one of those people who saves them after they are installed.  I think I should save the ones that I really like and ditch the rest.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2008, 11:42:14 AM »
Or do as Sleepy mentioned in an earlier thread - have a hood simply to store your houses on, install all your downloaded houses to that hood with Clean Installer (you'd end up with a lot of Maxis only houses with missing walls and floors, but you could then open that hood, place all the houses in the hood, delete the sim bin ones and redecorate the houses when you feel in the mood.)  Once all the houses are installed, you could then ditch all the Sims2Packs but your favourites that you use a lot.  As you redecorate the houses, or rebuild them etc., you could then move them back into the houses bin to be available in the hoods that you play.

Offline yetyak

• Tempermental Tyke
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2008, 05:54:54 AM »
I do  have hoods that just store houses....  I guess I'm just paranoid about having my hard drive die and losing them again.  One of these days, though...

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2008, 07:57:15 AM »
Well, stick the darned sims2packs on a DC or DVD....I'm pretty paranoid too, I've been through the lost everything scenario.

Offline jsalemi

• Talkative Toddler
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2008, 08:31:27 AM »
Or an external drive for backup -- they're fast and pretty cheap these days.  I backup my games after every play session to an external drive, and also backup my original downloaded files at least once a week.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2008, 11:15:42 AM »
I was just about to get one when my cat got sick and all my saving went in vets' bills!  Hope I'll have saved enough soon, the CD/DVD dance tends to make me lazy - but I do have two hard-drives, although that's no guarantee if a fan goes.

Offline yetyak

• Tempermental Tyke
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2008, 07:22:42 AM »
I think I will do the CD/DVD thing, I have everything else backed up that way. I need to update all that stuff too, just in case.  Then I will just keep the ones that are my favorite houses on my hard drive for easy access.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2008, 08:49:26 AM »
You could also use a vanilla hood to install the lot segment to, stick them in the game and then save the lot to a file.  It would lose all it's cc, recolours etc. etc., but be a much smaller file, and you could redecorate it yourself when you use it again.  Probably best used for houses which are complicated to build, although playable, but you tend to change a lot of the decorations for anyway.

Offline yetyak

• Tempermental Tyke
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2008, 05:51:13 AM »
I think I will just keep the hoods with the houses installed, and get rid of the sims2pack files except for the ones that are my favorites.  To back them all up would have taken 5 DVDs.  that's just too many houses, especially when I didn't get rid of them when I bulldozed an unplayable house, or ugly house or one that warps the terrain so bad you can't put another house there.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2008, 07:11:41 AM »
My god, that is a lot of houses!  (I don't think I have anything like that amount...)

Offline yetyak

• Tempermental Tyke
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2008, 10:06:21 AM »
Can you tell that I can't build one worth a darn?

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2008, 10:58:14 AM »
There are a lot of houses around on sim sites I'd say that about - nice houses, ok, but totally unsimmable!  On the other hand, plain boxes may look like plain boxes, but sims like them!

Offline Sleepycat

• Resident Hairball
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • meow!
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2008, 04:12:03 PM »
plain boxes may look like plain boxes, but sims like them!

yup! that's why I build boxes  X)
TFM's Naughty Sims Asylum - home of my Sim stories & SC4 Terrains, Sims, hairy Skintones and some clothes & stuff.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2008, 04:27:35 PM »
Buckingham Palace, for all its grandeur, is a box!  Mind you, I wouldn't like to try building a sim version!

Offline yetyak

• Tempermental Tyke
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2008, 07:54:37 PM »
I wouldn't either!!!  My sims sure do like Sleepycat's houses, so that is good.  They are all in my favorite houses folder...

It's really a shame that the houses I've tried to build have sucked, I didn't have that problem in Sims 1.  Some of those were pretty neat. 

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2008, 08:40:43 PM »
Well, there were more complete build sets in Sims 1, which helped, I think.  And they matched - not like the mismatched doors and windows in Sims 2!  And I think the staircases, although of course not modular, were nicer.  I'm sure, though, if you persevere, you'll manage to create a house or two that you like.

Offline yetyak

• Tempermental Tyke
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2008, 09:04:16 AM »
Well, I do have a floorplan of a house I would like to have that I want to try building.  I may try that and see if having plans helps.  Otherwise, you may have too much faith in my abilities!

I think the sets were better in Sims 1, too.  That must be it.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2008, 10:26:08 AM »
Well, decide what doors and windows you want for the house, and see if there's a completer set.  There is, for instance, a completer set for the country windows over at Sims Connection (think you need a sub, though) and it includes ones without shutters so you can use ordinary curtains. I just suggest that because I think the Seasons bathrooms and kitchens and the nice walls and floors make it so easy to make an attractive house, and you can usually manage a starter home using them, if you're not too ambitious.

anything