Author Topic: I really, really want this!!!  (Read 24420 times)

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Superannuated Coffeeholic
    • Zephyr Zodiac @ 4-Shared
Re: I really, really want this!!!
« Reply #100 on: May 05, 2011, 05:46:12 PM »
I still use the Free Time version, and that doesn't have the choice.  It probably has something to do with the whole AL scenario, maybe boring gossip makes your sim unpopular?
"All the world's a Neighbourhood, and all the men and women merely Sims."  ZephyrZodiac with apologies to Willie Waggledagger.

http://www.4shared.com/u/yCrnLoEP/Zephyr_Zodiac.html

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • We'll jump off that bridge when we come to it.
    • Leefish
« Reply #101 on: May 06, 2011, 12:51:06 AM »
I did mean the "gossip all boring" choice on the batbox. The reason I don't use the "remove all gossip" choice is because I recall reading somewhere that it removes gossip that may be beneficial to relationships or words to that effect? I've often wondered why the bat box has the the three choices, there must be a good reaason for it I suppose, or Pescado wouldn't have implemented them.

Sounds like utter humbug to me... How would a sim distinguish between one line of gossip and the next? How would they accpet this, but not that?

Imagine a very outgoing and nice popularity sim with all the popularity benefits (we call him Jon): he desperately wants friends, and is very forgiving about negative reactions.
Now take also a shy and grouchy knowledge sim with all the knowledge benefits (we call her Nala): she won't take crap from anyone, and certainly not from the likes of Jon. Raw knowledge means more to her...

Now imagine Jon talking to Nala for the first time: if you look at Jon's panel, the relationship with Nala goes up VERY fast! But if you look at Nala's panel, Jon isn't all that popular... So Jon may have a 40/16 relationship to Nala already, while her opinion about him seems stuck at 16/4. Thus Jon may find the "Gossip" option in his "Talk" sub-menu, but Nala won't accept such low-down talk yet!
THAT is the only kind of situation where gossip can be detrimental: if Jon starts talking Gossip too soon, he may alienate Nala, and she may start to dislike him. But it has nothing to do with the kind of gossip, only with timing!

"BO, Sir, you rock! :bow:" - TheISZ                           (banner design: eefje00704/Eva)

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #102 on: August 10, 2011, 07:45:23 PM »
And today is one of those days I'm going to need to make use of the "modder's dispensation" with regards to necromancy ;)

I've assimilated new knowledge that will make it possible for the next release to finally REALLY always generate a report upon opening a household; the NSL controller will actually reset itself every time you load a lot, thereby forcing itself to run the initial scan that generates the report. Finally, the NSL will perform a lot more consistently :tongue:

So far, the controller would save with the lot, and when the lot was reloaded, the controller would load with it and continue to run in background, in stead of restarting the initial scan. The only way to actually remove the rubbish tokens and such, would be to have one of your sims visit a comm lot. Since comm lots do not save when you leave, the controller generated there would not be stored, and thus would need to be regenerated/restarted every time you visit the lot. With the new version, visiting a comm lot to regenerate the NSL controller will no longer be required ;)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 07:49:29 PM by BoilingOil »

"BO, Sir, you rock! :bow:" - TheISZ                           (banner design: eefje00704/Eva)

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #103 on: August 10, 2011, 08:51:39 PM »
:popcorn:  :thumb:
"All the world's a Neighbourhood, and all the men and women merely Sims."  ZephyrZodiac with apologies to Willie Waggledagger.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #104 on: August 15, 2011, 02:12:17 PM »
Update, August 15, 2011: The FINAL version has now been uploaded. No more updates of BO - No Sim Loaded will follow, because it now works EXACTLY as I always intended it to be.

As always, available here :D Enjoy!

Offline Sleepycat

• Resident Hairball
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • meow!
« Reply #105 on: August 15, 2011, 05:09:39 PM »
 :thumb:
TFM's Naughty Sims Asylum - home of my Sim stuff - SC4 Terrains, Sims, Hairy Skintones, Hoods and some clothes & stuff.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #106 on: August 15, 2011, 06:37:00 PM »
Great!  I'll try this version out when I load my game again.  Thanks, BO!

Offline MaryH

• Tempermental Tyke
  • Otherwise known as Mary of H.
« Reply #107 on: August 15, 2011, 08:07:32 PM »
I've been trying it out-and my opinion? FANTASTIC!

Great work, and thanks for this final version!

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #108 on: August 16, 2011, 01:18:25 AM »
@MaryH: Maybe you could push the latest version and the new "No Trash Memories" at GOS again? :P

I'm still grateful for you mentioning the NSL there earlier, because that made NSL the most popular of my mods with over 500 DLs so far ;)

Offline MaryH

• Tempermental Tyke
« Reply #109 on: August 16, 2011, 04:39:29 AM »
I will see what I can do!  :wink:

Edit: Done! Hope this will really move your downloads count!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 04:52:29 AM by MaryH »

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #110 on: August 16, 2011, 04:48:42 AM »
Cool :smoke:, thank you so much! :bow:

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #111 on: August 16, 2011, 05:16:16 AM »
Nice to know that my little problem resulted in such a popular mod! Congratulations on the first 500 downloads, and here's to the next!  :thumb:

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #112 on: August 16, 2011, 05:41:58 AM »
Thanks, ZZ :bow:

From the number of downloads, I think it's safe to conclude that obviously you weren't the only one having a problem with needless crap hogging both memory and CPU time on a massive scale. :)

I just noticed that the news has indeed been spread to GOS... explains the wave of new DL-ers for both mods ;)

So, thank you very much Fran/MaryH. :bow:

Edit: yup, and NOW I see that you edited your last post above... Thanks again! :)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 12:10:13 PM by BoilingOil »

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #113 on: August 16, 2011, 01:39:12 PM »
I'd say it works alright: 40 on NSL, 34 on NTM so far, that's not bad for a first day. There's a lot of GOS-lings reading that thread, I guess :)

Offline MaryH

• Tempermental Tyke
« Reply #114 on: August 16, 2011, 01:41:46 PM »
As a faithful GoSling, I check that thread every single time I get onto the site; it is one of the major threads everyone reads-if it's new or shiny, it will end up on that thread. The mods are also very careful about duplication of posts, and if one does a no-no by posting a second time about one, they'll warn you about it.
The second most popular thread is usually the chat area about new mods/hacks/shiny things.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 01:43:19 PM by MaryH »

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #115 on: August 16, 2011, 03:33:58 PM »
Ah, then I will endeavor to make more shinies :P Perhaps then I'll show up there more often :lol:

Do people also promote their own work in that thread? I guess not, huh? Because then it wouldn't be a find, but a shameless plug! :P

Offline MaryH

• Tempermental Tyke
« Reply #116 on: August 16, 2011, 05:28:27 PM »
Ah, sir-that is one big no-no. You must depend on others to find your fascinating mods more fascinating to post them on the forum. Shameless advertising is not really allowed, because the mods and admins do read the posts, and they're quicker than lightning to find out a miscreant's bad post.
I'm not saying it would not be right, just that it's sort of not polite behavior. We might be a bunch of boot-stomping zombie-loving witches, but we do have our standards!  :rofl:
But anytime you want me to plug your wares, should you so desire, let me know. I'll wade in there and plug away!
Call it my paying back my dues to the community since I can't create for it.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #117 on: August 17, 2011, 12:36:06 AM »
Yeah, as I said... That thread is about finds, and promoting yourself is a shameless plug, instead of a find :biglaugh: I expected as much :)

Thanks a lot for your assistance :love:

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #118 on: August 17, 2011, 12:49:01 AM »
There's always the Peasantry.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #119 on: August 17, 2011, 01:02:11 AM »
Hehehehe :lol:

There's also shark-infested waters, where in fact I'd feel much more at home. Seems safer! :biglaugh:

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #120 on: August 17, 2011, 02:54:08 AM »
I don't think they're nasty to modders, just newbies... with naive questions!

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #121 on: August 17, 2011, 04:08:54 AM »
Maybe so, but the fear of MATY runs deep by now. I'm not much for change, which is why I always carry my cash in large coupons! :halo:

But I understand what you're saying: MATY *is* one of the most well-known places to go for all kinds of sims goodies, and as such would probably give a big boost to my download numbers. Still I'd have to think twice about promoting mods there that are actually attempting to make "God's devices" redundant. I'd be worm-food in no time :eew:

Moreover, I wouldn't want the rep that goes with that place to be attached to my name. "God's minion"... nah, that's not me!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 04:11:08 AM by BoilingOil »

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #122 on: August 17, 2011, 12:48:04 PM »
Oh, well, I daresay a few people over there are well aware of your mods, and probably use them!

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #123 on: August 17, 2011, 12:57:06 PM »
I hadn't actually thought of that yet, but it's a distinct possibility, ZZ. Wouldn't it be cool, if Mr. Awesome himself was using NSL and NTM now? :lol:

Oh well, perhaps not, but it's nice to daydream...

Offline MaryH

• Tempermental Tyke
« Reply #124 on: August 17, 2011, 02:47:47 PM »
Actually, I bet he possibly does-because he's never been nasty to other mod creators at MATY or other places. He does have an entire section devoted to other mods/hacks made by other people, and while he's never very vocal about praise, he probably would not rant about another modder's work unless it was really screwed up. (In fact, I've read some threads there where he helped them out of a problem.)
Besides, he's not the only modder in the Sims 2 world, as TJ, and AH will attest..and you. Lots of others got their start from MATY.
On top of that, his mods only go so far in playing the game correctly. It takes a lot more than his work to really get it moving well.
I've got a folder of his stuff in my game, but I also have tons of stuff from dozens of other modders/hackers.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #125 on: August 18, 2011, 02:20:49 AM »
I'm aware of all that, MaryH. It's just that he has a bit of an ego/attitude, and a huge reputation for eating n00bs alive (metaphorically). And in comparison to him, I still *FEEL* like a n00b. I'd be breakfast, and due to my weight, probably lunch as well. But by the time dinner comes, I'd be forgotten... Or at least, that's how I feel it.

I've read quite a few threads there, when I needed information. And I know he's knowledgeable - althought not always accurate, and sometimes a bit simplistic - but does he really need to rub that in so hard? The RTFM with every mod usually comes down to "works well with all awesome mods, in case of problems/conflicts remove all non-awesome mods", even if he doesn't say that literally!

I *am* in awe of him, and I use more of his mods than I would like to admit (I wouldn't know how to play properly without the Batbox and the Phonehack, for example). But many of his mods do more than they should, and not all features are always (properly) documented, if at all. Let's face it: the descriptions of many of his mods are rather cryptic and unclear about what they do exactly! So in case of a conflict, his mods always lose, because they load FIRST in my game; I have little trust of them.

I'm in the TS2 scene for around three years now, and from day one I've been properly trained to fear him. That fear doesn't go away only because I made a few mods of reasonable quality recently. I respect his skill and seniority in modding, and I'm grateful for a lot of what he's done for simmers so far! But that doesn't mean I like him or his attitude. In fact, if I have anything to say about it, I wouldn't want my corpse to be found close to his.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 02:23:32 AM by BoilingOil »

Offline MaryH

• Tempermental Tyke
« Reply #126 on: August 18, 2011, 03:51:03 AM »
I will agree with you on all of that-but he has one drawback that really gets to me: he refuses to ever admit that he can be (and often is) wrong in some respects.  That part is one of his weaknesses, and his reputation for eating noobs alive is partly based on the 'don't ask stupid questions' approach.

He is a great hacker/modder, no doubt about that-but I think everyone should be aware of the fact that he's not the only one out there who can do things to make the game work better-and that he's all but abandoned modding for Sims 2, which means that he's shortsighted insofar as keeping his reputation intact.  Just because Sims 3 is 'the game of the moment' does not mean people do not play Sims 2 and are still looking for improvements to it.

Hell, I wish he would go back and rework some of the stuff that has never been upgraded for some of the game, such as the Lot Sync Timer (which has no 'lot jumping' functionality' after BV. He claims that BV screwed up the time function and he never did anything after that to try to correct it. I'm not saying it can be done, but he refused outright to ever revisit the idea.), or the 'novelprogress' hack that never got updated for after BV.

He's not the only one who has that attitude-Inge Jones does as well. Her hacks stop at a certain point and that was the end of that, too. SimPE (which of course she is half author of) is at an end. No chance of ever improving that, either.

You've proven that the game can still be improved and even his hacks can be upgraded. That should take some of the fear out of you.  You've done the near impossible, by rendering his hacks to a more reasonable state and eliminated some of the cruft that he put into them.

In short, I wish more modders were like you: willing to take a chance to improve what's been done and to take risks.

As for the RTFM, it is rather insulting to have to depend on his arrogance to tell you what a mod does in such a fashion. A lot of people can't read properly, but that doesn't mean it has to be assumed that we're all stupid.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #127 on: August 18, 2011, 04:40:33 AM »
Yeah, that's one aspect I didn't even want to go into, because I haven't experienced it first-hand., but from what I've learned about him, he can indeed be stubborn and pig-headed when it comes to admitting mistakes/blunders. He doesn't seem to be compatible with that concept: he knows he's right, and that's the end of it!

In all fairness, I tend to be a lot like him in that respect. But over the years, I've learned to keep an open mind and at least consider the *possibility* that I'm mistaken. After all, we're all just human, and therefor prone to mistakes once in a while!

As for Pescy's retirement from TS2 modding: I'm not too sad about it, although I *do* wish he'd left less of those 'loose ends' that you mention. Mods not having been updatged to the latest possible standards and such. Inge's retirement saddens me more, but I'll agree that in some respects she *is* a bit like him. However, I must also point out that she has much less of a god-like attitude, and is more willing to listen and help out. Anyway, the world changes, and some people are at some point just done with the old, and need to move on to the new. Some modders are almost human in that respect, and do leave the scene. So be it!

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #128 on: January 24, 2012, 02:28:54 AM »
Imagine a very outgoing and nice popularity sim with all the popularity benefits (we call him Jon): he desperately wants friends, and is very forgiving about negative reactions.
Now take also a shy and grouchy knowledge sim with all the knowledge benefits (we call her Nala): she won't take crap from anyone, and certainly not from the likes of Jon. Raw knowledge means more to her...

Now imagine Jon talking to Nala for the first time: if you look at Jon's panel, the relationship with Nala goes up VERY fast! But if you look at Nala's panel, Jon isn't all that popular... So Jon may have a 40/16 relationship to Nala already, while her opinion about him seems stuck at 16/4. Thus Jon may find the "Gossip" option in his "Talk" sub-menu, but Nala won't accept such low-down talk yet!
THAT is the only kind of situation where gossip can be detrimental: if Jon starts talking Gossip too soon, he may alienate Nala, and she may start to dislike him. But it has nothing to do with the kind of gossip, only with timing!

Sorry about the resurrection and the reply to my own post, but I think this is helpful.

I've noticed that sometimes it LOOKS like a sim is gossiping, while in fact they are "bad-mouthing" someone. These are two totally different interactions that both use the same animation. When a sim is bad-mouthing someone, the receiving sim *does* show a hugely negative relationship adjustment. However, I've found that this adjustment is NOT aimed at the sim telling the "gossip" but at the *subject* of the bad talk. Here's an example:

Jon is bad-mouthing towards Nala about a sim named Tito, whom Nala doesn't know. Now Nala suddenly shows the relationship change with two red minus signs, and when you check her relationship panel, her relation with Jon doesn't seem to have been changed much, but a negative relationship with Tito has been added!

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #129 on: January 24, 2012, 02:39:22 AM »
I do hate the way the game adds relationships to sims that haven't been met yet!

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #130 on: January 24, 2012, 03:05:27 AM »
In general, I agree with you, ZZ.  Especially when we're talking about sims that merely happened to be on the same lot, but never interacted on any level with your actives. If there has never been any interactions between a certain couple of sims, may you actually consider them acquaintances at all? Am I supposed to *know* all the people that ever showed up in shops and stores while I was frequenting those venues? I'd say "No, unless I actually actively interacted with them". But obviously, the EAxians have other - very odd and distorted - ideas about that.

However, in the case of bad-mouthing, where the intention is obviously to make your sim feel bad about the subject sim, I can understand that the relationship is created. After all, there is no other way to create the effect - your sim responding badly to the subject.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #131 on: January 24, 2012, 03:25:04 AM »
I suppose so, but the bad relationship score can be there without the Known box being checked.  Just look at the horrific mess that they made with the BV townies and the various NPCs!  Every time I start a new hood I have to spend hours cleaning up that mess - I mean, unless you have died, or been on a lot where someone has died, how would you know the Grim Reaper?  Let alone regard him as a Best Friend!!!

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #132 on: January 24, 2012, 03:53:26 AM »
Very True, ZZ. BV is an absolute mess in that respect! I've found that all sims that are considered to be in the same "family/household", are automatically flagged by the game as knowing eachother.
And the same goes for the FT hobby mavens!

When the first incarnation of Zack Shack met the Islander named Daisy McCarthy through the Gypsy's intervention, he was automatically considered by the game engine to (by proxy) have met all other Islanders as well as anyone they might have met before Zack met Daisy. I'm sure that kind of relationships isn't hard-coded into the characters, but is in stead a result of a faulty assumption/decision coded into the game engine. Still, it's an obvious blunder of the proportions we've sadly come to expect of the EAxians in general. And it links to the same issue as the people knowing eachother, only because at some point they were briefly spotted at the same lot.

However, as far as relationships and known sims go: it *is* possible that they don't take relationships into account UNLESS the *known* flag is set, or that such relationships are even considered Invalid/Corrupt somehow. The former shouldn't be much of a problem, but the latter could. Maybe I'll have to go and investigate that someday.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 03:57:04 AM by BoilingOil »

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #133 on: January 24, 2012, 04:01:32 AM »
I'm actually wondering whether the Hood Checker deals with this, I know it removes those relationships from Sim Relations, but not whether it deals with the underlying problem in Sim Description - Relationships.

A mod which made all those relationships null and void would be fantastic!  I would say, a global mod which, when you first load any of the BV locations, or Free Time itself, would prevent those relationships from being formed in the first place, or if that is not possible, to wipe them as soon as you start a new hood or vacation neighborhood.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #134 on: January 24, 2012, 04:16:30 AM »
Believe it or not, ZZ, but a mod like that has been on my list ever since I started modding. However, the more I think about it, and research it, the more I'm becoming convinced that it's probably not possible.

Allow me to rephrase that for more accuracy: it will NEVER be possible to in-game remove any of those relationships, once they've been created. They can be made "unknown" and their relationship values can be reduced to 0 (zero), but the "x's relationship to y" resource, once created, can only be removed from within SimPE. A global mod that PREVENTS such empty relationship from being formed, however, should (I suspect) still be possible, although extremely difficult.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #135 on: January 24, 2012, 05:38:37 AM »
I rather thought that would be the case, and a similar type of thing to one or two of your existing mods, I would think.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #136 on: January 24, 2012, 05:42:33 AM »
Lemme take a wild guess: I'll bet on "No Sim Loaded" and "No Trash Memories" for this round... What did I win? :lol:

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #137 on: January 24, 2012, 11:55:42 AM »

Yep, they're the ones!

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #138 on: January 24, 2012, 12:17:32 PM »
Uhmmm, yeah, that wasn't much of a stretch, really...

But just to think that so many great minds never came up with those, yet I didn't seem to have very much trouble envisioning and making them... I can understand how one would indeed be inclined to believe that "No Senseless Relations" would also be a piece of cake for me.

And dang, now the name has been established, I think I'll be forced to make something that works, pronto! :blink:

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #139 on: January 24, 2012, 12:20:41 PM »
Good name!  Who would want a senseless relation?

Offline KierneM

• Mushloving Mophead
  • Robaholic since 03/20/09
« Reply #140 on: January 24, 2012, 12:42:40 PM »
You can do it, BO! I have faith in you!!
 :bow: :bow: :bow:
All I need in life: The Sims 2, The Sims 3, great modders, and Mountain Dew!

Offline yetyak

• Tempermental Tyke
« Reply #141 on: January 24, 2012, 02:05:58 PM »
Yes, we do!!

Offline miros1

• Face Collector
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Face Collector
    • The Wooden Simolean
« Reply #142 on: January 26, 2012, 01:55:34 PM »
Lemme take a wild guess: I'll bet on "No Sim Loaded" and "No Trash Memories" for this round... What did I win? :lol:

I was thinking No Naked Emitters....

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #143 on: January 26, 2012, 03:48:05 PM »
I may not have made very many mods yet - compare it to the extensive list on Cyjon's site, and you'll agree - but evidently, there are indeed quite a number of rare gems in my collection already. Not to be bragging, ofcourse, because that's so not me. But the truth is the truth. :zip:

And now I'll have to be careful NOT to make too many "impossible" mods, lest nobody believe me anymore when I say something can't be done. :ninja:
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 03:50:46 PM by BoilingOil »

Offline JCSpencer

• Mushloving Mophead
« Reply #144 on: February 01, 2012, 03:31:13 PM »
And now I'll have to be careful NOT to make too many "impossible" mods, lest nobody believe me anymore when I say something can't be done. :ninja:

Geordi: Yeah, well, I told the Captain I'd have this analysis done in an hour.
Scotty: How long will it really take?
Geordi: An hour!
Scotty: Oh, you didn't tell him how long it would *really* take, did ya?
Geordi: Well, of course I did.
Scotty: Oh, laddie. You've got a lot to learn if you want people to think of you as a miracle worker.

:thumb:

Offline Nyxie

• Talkative Toddler
« Reply #145 on: February 01, 2012, 05:27:06 PM »
 :lol:
"If a rabbit defined intelligence the way man does, then the most intelligent animal would be a rabbit, followed by the animal most willing to obey the commands of a rabbit" - Robert Brault

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #146 on: February 02, 2012, 12:51:10 AM »
Ah, my favorite TNG episode. "Relics", season 6, episode 4. Lovely show, that brings tears to my eyes.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #147 on: September 17, 2013, 04:15:15 AM »
I've finally took some time to figure out how this dumb token can be responsible for lagging the game so much.

When you open a household for the first time in your current play session, each sim in the household gets this token. But TSL being a singular token, each sim can have only one. So before actually adding the token, the memory manager needs to check the entire memory/token database for existing occurrences of that token associated with the current sim, in order to remove them. This manager can read the database only in one direction: from oldest to newest entry!
So the older your hood is, and consequently, the more memories/tokens have been stored, the longer it takes to find/remove that token. Then everything that was added after that token, must be moved back one position, before finally the new token can be added.
And all that need to be done for each member of the household!

That's a lot of work, for a token for which any purpose has yet to be determined! Nobody has identified any BHAV yet, that actually looks for this token, let alone uses it for anything.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #148 on: July 19, 2015, 05:11:50 PM »
I've decided to perform some needless necromancy - reviving a thread with nothing spectaculair or important to add -, but I hope I can be forgiven. The thing is, I want to share something that makes me proud...

A little over 4 years and 3 months have passed since I first created the NSL, and now I'm 11 DLs away from 4,000! I think this is great news! There's a lot of people using this mod!
Only one other mod of mine does better: Unlimited Sims, with 4,630 DLs :)

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #149 on: July 19, 2015, 05:52:46 PM »
Congratulations!  :yay: :cele1: :cele3:

It would be double that number, but there are still a lot of people out there who just haven't realised that their slow, jerky game has nothing to do with a bad download, and who are wasting countless hours trying to track the culprit down!

anything
anything