Author Topic: Need Help setting pregnancy odds in ACR2  (Read 11792 times)

Offline gfitz

• Babbling Baby
    • Gayl's Storybook Haven
Need Help setting pregnancy odds in ACR2
« on: March 21, 2011, 11:16:29 AM »
Let me start by saying math was never my strong suit...ever. I downloaded and installed ACR2 5c. I have the documentation from version 1.10. and I am struggling to understand how the pregnancy odds calculate. I had 2 females set to birth control on and they both got pregnant on the first woohoo and none of the sims are married, just roommates. I was reading through the documentation and clearly do not understand how to change the settings so the risk is less...the birth control didn't work for me. When I looked at the Pregnancy menu it was definitely set to ON. I am still experimenting with how the mod works (which I lOVE by the way) so I want to understand it before I add it to my main NB. Is it the lower percentage that reduces the odds or higher?

Also the menu options seem different compared to the documentation so I wondered if there is an updated version of the files that I am missing?

I have all EPs/SPs in case that is important to know.

Sorry to be asking such a noob question...
Be realistic and accept the fact that I live in a dream world.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Superannuated Coffeeholic
    • Zephyr Zodiac @ 4-Shared
Re: Need Help setting pregnancy odds in ACR2
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 11:41:36 AM »
If you increase the odds from 5%, then that increases the chance of pregnancy.  Also, the younger your sim, the greater the chance of pregnancy - but that is standard from an unmodded game, so a sim who has only just become an adult, or was created as an adult in CAS, will frequently become pregnant the very first time they woohoo.  The only way to prevent that, I think, would be to turn birth control on and to disable *try for baby* for unmarried sims, and even that may not be a failsafe.  However, if you don't want a particular sim to get pregnant at this stage, you can have them *take the morning after* pill, and there will be no bad memories for them at all.
"All the world's a Neighbourhood, and all the men and women merely Sims."  ZephyrZodiac with apologies to Willie Waggledagger.

http://www.4shared.com/u/yCrnLoEP/Zephyr_Zodiac.html

Offline gfitz

• Babbling Baby
    • Gayl's Storybook Haven
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 11:46:54 AM »
If you increase the odds from 5%, then that increases the chance of pregnancy.  Also, the younger your sim, the greater the chance of pregnancy - but that is standard from an unmodded game, so a sim who has only just become an adult, or was created as an adult in CAS, will frequently become pregnant the very first time they woohoo.  The only way to prevent that, I think, would be to turn birth control on and to disable *try for baby* for unmarried sims, and even that may not be a failsafe.  However, if you don't want a particular sim to get pregnant at this stage, you can have them *take the morning after* pill, and there will be no bad memories for them at all.
So I should reduce that 5% on a sim by sim or lot by lot basis to reduce the odds. I will have to go back and look at the disable try for baby since I don't get that popup (which I assume means I turned it off) I do want a certain amount of risky woohoo but I thought turning birth control on would help. I also have Inteen and used the clock to turn on birth control.

Thanks!

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 12:08:53 PM »
You don't get the pop-up with ACR, it's disabled, and try for baby is autonomous.

I don't know if you can reduce the odds from 5%, not in game at any rate - you may be able to do it by opening the appropriate file in SimPE and changing something there, but I personally wouldn't try it as I'm pretty hopeless at that kind of stuff.  I wouldn't even know which file to open!
"All the world's a Neighbourhood, and all the men and women merely Sims."  ZephyrZodiac with apologies to Willie Waggledagger.

Offline gfitz

• Babbling Baby
    • Gayl's Storybook Haven
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 12:12:52 PM »
I don't think I will play with it in simPE. I know that the Morning After Pill works...I just thought I was doing something wrong. I am slowly poking through all the threads here so it is getting more clear. I was a little thrown off by the documentation and not seeing the same pie menus and I am so easy to confuse...  :P

thank you again!

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 12:57:50 PM »
I think the pie menus were altered from the original documentation, and I don't think TJ updated that, just added a note to the effect that earlier versions would have the clickables such as enabled/disabled opposite to what happens in later versions, where what you see is what you get, rather than what you click is what you get - if that makes sense.

One thing you can do if you haven't already done so is to set the number of babies a sim would like, from the default -1, up to 10, I think.  I'm not sure, but I think this has some bearing on the likelihood of pregnancy, at least from *try for baby* - after all, if you already have the number of children you want, you don't normally try for another one!  Risky woohoo, though, is a different kettle of fish...

Offline gfitz

• Babbling Baby
    • Gayl's Storybook Haven
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 01:12:25 PM »
I think the pie menus were altered from the original documentation, and I don't think TJ updated that, just added a note to the effect that earlier versions would have the clickables such as enabled/disabled opposite to what happens in later versions, where what you see is what you get, rather than what you click is what you get - if that makes sense.

Yes that does make sense.

One thing you can do if you haven't already done so is to set the number of babies a sim would like, from the default -1, up to 10, I think.  I'm not sure, but I think this has some bearing on the likelihood of pregnancy, at least from *try for baby* - after all, if you already have the number of children you want, you don't normally try for another one!  Risky woohoo, though, is a different kettle of fish...

Oh I hadn't thought of that either...since this is just a test NB so I can learn how it works before it goes into my main NB I hadn't played with that yet...

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 01:33:12 PM »
Well, I just love giving Romance Sims the secret desire to have lots of babies..... :evilgrin:

Offline gfitz

• Babbling Baby
    • Gayl's Storybook Haven
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 01:36:00 PM »
Well, I just love giving Romance Sims the secret desire to have lots of babies..... :evilgrin:

LMAO!!! And you know the first female who got pregnant was a romance sim...

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 01:40:24 PM »
They almost always are!  While those poor family sims have a hard time catching their man in the first place, and getting pregnant.... the only one in my current hood who had no problems was a CAS townie who moved in with one of my playables, and had two sets of twins. 

But it's interesting to note, I have several families who have the sibling (romance) of one of the parents living with them, and guess who is hugging the toddler in the load screen?

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • We'll jump off that bridge when we come to it.
    • Leefish
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 06:14:04 AM »
Yeah, the romance sim, of course... the spouses are hugging eachother, after all ;)

"BO, Sir, you rock! :bow:" - TheISZ                           (banner design: eefje00704/Eva)

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, 02:51:19 PM »
Only the married parents do that.... very odd example of Maxoid Morality!

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2011, 04:04:50 PM »
Oh yeah, you're right ZZ. I totally overlooked that possibility! :blush:

If they're not married, they can have all the woohoo they want, but they won't show any affection in the load screen ;) Indeed, what where those Maxoids thinking...

"BO, Sir, you rock! :bow:" - TheISZ                           (banner design: eefje00704/Eva)

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2011, 10:33:26 PM »
Not a clue, but then, they are Maxoids and not logical....

Now, this makes me laugh.  I have two teenagers in my game (CAS) whose respective single parents met and married after the teens had fallen for each other.  They are now all living as one family, the teens frequently woohoo, but when their parents show any affection for each other (even just a flirt or a peck on the cheek) they both act like they have seen something really gross!  If they were Virgos I could, maybe, understand, but he's Leo and she's Taurus!

Offline Liquid Vamp

• Tempermental Tyke
  • Real vampires DO NOT sparkle!
    • LV's Interior Simagery
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2011, 03:18:20 AM »
 :lol: Now why couldn't that be an action for every sim seeing their parents kissing? I can see it now - Eww not at the breakfast table!
I'm the type of person that can watch hundreds of horror movies and not get scared but would scream at the top of my lungs when toast pops out of the toaster.
White Rabbit
Spiritless Blood

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2011, 10:16:51 AM »
ZZ, I agree that it's ridiculous. But I have yet to encounter the very first Teen that is NOT grossed out by EITHER (or both) of their parents flirting or making out. And in fact, I have yet to see the first sim Teen or older, who isn't shocked at the sight of other sims woohooing (or more precisely, just being naked!).

And, though it will most likely hurt my rep to say this, I almost understand why the Maxoids did that. ALMOST! It has mostly to do with ratings, sales and public opinion... I mean, we *do* remember the scene about 'GTA: San Andreas', don't we? And the Sims games have been under fire as well. Obviously some people just can't cope with the mere idea that anyone could accept sexuality as a normal biological function so openly.

Do you recognize this? (You're fortunate if you don't!)
As a Toddler/Child most people still accept anything, because we haven't been told yet what's 'good' and what's 'bad'. Then, as a Teen, we have finally learned about these concepts of shame, guilt, modesty and whatnot. And at that same time, we're just exploring our own sexuality, which - according to what we've been told - is something to be ashamed of, apparently. Then we notice that 'YIKES! My parents do these things too... EEP, and they're so old!!!'

Ok, now translate the above into Sims terms, and you're there. Indeed, some exceptions would have been reasonable, especially in the 21st century. But maybe even then they were making this game for 12s, and had to consider ratings, in order to be able to sell, sell, sell as many copies as possible...

Offline gfitz

• Babbling Baby
    • Gayl's Storybook Haven
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2011, 11:02:36 AM »
You guys have me laughing so hard...makes me wish I actually played more than I do...

Offline simsfreq

• Talkative Toddler
    • My Sims 2 Livejournal
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2011, 04:43:10 PM »
I always get confused about pregnancy odds too. I'm pretty sure that the "fertility" is just controlled by try-for-baby chance.  So a younger sim has a higher chance of trying for baby than an older sim. Of course TFB chance is also controlled by other things such as how many children a couple want, whether they are married, the age of their other kids, their aspiration, etc etc. So it's hard to separate out the different factors controlling this.

You can override a sim's try for baby chance using the pie menu on the adjuster. The other thing you can alter - which I think can only be set for the whole hood - is the "Base risky percentage" which is set at 5% by default as ZZ said. Now this is the part which always confuses me. I'm not entirely sure whether it affects the chance of pregnancy if a sim chooses woohoo, or whether it affects the chance of pregnancy by choosing TFB. I *think* it affects the chance of getting pregnant by TFB - just because if you view a sim's token stats, the figure at the end is the risky percentage, multiplied by the try-for-baby chance. But if this is so, then what is the percentage chance for pregnancy when a couple choose to woohoo rather than TFB, and can this be changed?  :confused:

(Would love an option to change the risky odds per sim so that I can make some of my sims meticulous with contraception - though with a small chance still, remember, contraception fails! - and some more sloppy. I find this hard to keep track of by manipulating TFB odds but perhaps there is an easier way?)

Oh - and on the family portrait issue, I wonder if that was just because you can only be married to one person in an unmodded game, but in love with many - so there's no contest or complicated relationship checking involved in who to pick for them to hug, just a simple check for a married/engaged flag.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 04:48:05 PM by simsfreq »
Stories, gameplay discussion (ramblings really...) and posts about my creations and ideas for creations. http://simsfreq.livejournal.com/

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2011, 05:35:51 PM »
Simsfreq, you raise a valid point regarding the family loading screen. But if there's only two adults in a family, and the others are their mutual children, how hard would it be to guess that they belong together, even if unmarried?
And even if one of them has a sibling living in with them, the other might NOT have the same relationship with that sibling. That sibling might NOT be the parent of any of the children... Of course, this would require a bit more extensive testing, which was exactly your point ;)

Also, what you mentioned about the pegnancy chance, confuses me also... From the docs, I got the notion that 'risky' related to the chance of pregnancy during Woohoo, NOT TFB. When using TFB, normally the chance of success is much higher than 5%. So how can TFB chance multiplied by risky chance give an accurate pregnancy percentage?? The most logical formula would be TFB chance times TFB success rate PLUS normal woohoo chance times risky rate. But maybe I'm missing something...

Offline gfitz

• Babbling Baby
    • Gayl's Storybook Haven
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2011, 06:32:13 PM »
Sadly for me I am still as confused as before. Other than setting the ideal size family, and using Inteen birth control as a 'backup' I still don't know if I have birth control adequately covered by leaving the default settings as is. I'm lost in the math and the calculations...still  :walls:

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2011, 07:49:34 PM »
You can simply set any sim you don't want to get pregnant as *Sim can not get pregnant* in the ACR settings for that sim.

Offline gfitz

• Babbling Baby
    • Gayl's Storybook Haven
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2011, 08:12:29 PM »
I thought about that but I do want some risk. I guess I thought the settings would be the key. It's all good.

thanks again for the help!!

Offline shc

• Toddling Tot
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2011, 05:55:58 AM »
Okay , I'm going to see if I can simplify things for those who find it confusing, because it can be rather confusing.

Fertility is how fertile the sim is. By default this is setup so that a sim's fertility will decline as they age. Only the fertility of the sim to be pregnant is used in the calculation.

Pregnancy Odds is the liklihood of falling pregnant while using Try For Baby. If your sim has 50% fertility odds then there is a 50%(1 in 2) chance of falling pregnant while 'trying for baby'.

Risky Pregnancy Chance is the percentage used to calculate the Risky Pregnancy Odds. By default this is set at 5%. This is not a 5% chance of falling pregnant. This is 5% of your sims fertility/pregnancy odds of falling pregnant.

Risky Pregnancy Odds is the liklihood of falling pregnant using Woohoo. If your sim has 50% fertilty and the risky pregnancy chance is 5% then your sims risky pregnancy odds are 5% of 50% which is 2.5%. That means your sims has a 2.5%(1 in 40) chance of falling pregnant while doing woohoo.

Now none of this has anything to do with the liklihood of your sims automonously 'trying for baby', that is a different calculation altogether. This is just the results if your sims 'woohoo' or 'try for baby' automonously or not.

Is it the lower percentage that reduces the odds or higher?

To answer more directly, lowering the percentage will reduce the odds for you, i.e. 1% of 50% is 0.5%(1 in 200) chance of falling pregnant. If I remember correctly this can be done by hood or by lot, but for the life of me I cannot remember if it can be done on a by sim basis.

I hope this was helpful.

Offline Pleun

• Talkative Toddler
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2011, 12:09:35 PM »
If I remember correctly this can be done by hood or by lot, but for the life of me I cannot remember if it can be done on a by sim basis.

Sorry to bring up a different question, but i've been wondering about something related to this for some time now. I've been trying to play with the settings, as i've yet to have seen an accidental pregnancy, even with a sim woohooing just about every guy she meets. :blink: But the setting to increase the odds hood wide, don't seem to stick. Is that supposed to be that way? I have to change them to what i want all the time.
Avatar made from artwork by Kagaya.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2011, 01:06:02 PM »
Well, at least I can vouch that accidental pregnancies DO happen! But so far, I've only had them with married couples. Whenever my sims go at it, I *always* check if they're just Woohoo-ing or TFB-ing, and I've seen at least three of four times since the latest update (never before, though) that a sim got pregnant without TFB.

Remember the 'misfit', Xander Copur I mentioned? He was the first 'accident' ever to happen in my game!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 01:08:05 PM by BoilingOil »

Offline gfitz

• Babbling Baby
    • Gayl's Storybook Haven
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2011, 01:41:12 PM »
shc Thanks for breaking it down that way. It make a bit more sense to me as I read the responses and try things out in the game.

Pleun I haven't tried making any global changes. I want to try it either lot by lot or sim by sim but I am not sure yet. I am still very new to ACR so I'm still asking questions myself.

Well, at least I can vouch that accidental pregnancies DO happen! But so far, I've only had them with married couples. Whenever my sims go at it, I *always* check if they're just Woohoo-ing or TFB-ing, and I've seen at least three of four times since the latest update (never before, though) that a sim got pregnant without TFB.

Remember the 'misfit', Xander Copur I mentioned? He was the first 'accident' ever to happen in my game!

BoilingOil Where can you check if they are Woohoo-ing or TFB-ing ?

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2011, 01:49:27 PM »
The acticity icon at the top left of the screen should help. The top one says "Cuddle" (on a sofa) or "Relax" (on a bed), and the one below it will show "Woohoo" or "Try for Baby" if you hover the mouse pointer over it. You may guess which refers to "woohoo" and which to "TFB" :rofl:

Offline gfitz

• Babbling Baby
    • Gayl's Storybook Haven
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2011, 02:18:55 PM »
 :blink: Well that should have been obvious to me...I was thinking there was some complicated process...

*is embarrassed*

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2011, 02:25:42 PM »
 :lol: Yeah, maybe it should... But nobody here will hold it against you, as we all slip up now and then ;)

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2011, 02:47:38 PM »
BO, I've had loads of romance sims succumb to risky woohoo - the very first time they actually woohoo after arriving in their house via CAS... unmarried but part of a couple.  Plus, nearly all the students who've graduated having lived together at college will go on to have a baby as soon as both are on a lot.  Dunno whether the romance sim was consciously trying for a baby, though....

Offline gfitz

• Babbling Baby
    • Gayl's Storybook Haven
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2011, 03:09:59 PM »
I have to say I really like the idea of risky woohoo as long as I don't get overrun with babies which is why I was figuring this whole settings thing out. I'm still laughing over my Romance sim  getting pregnant right out of the gate. And she was not all that happy about it.

I have the silent pregnancy mod and also some mod whose name escapes me so I don't get the try for baby option (although I think that may not be working since I do see that option occasionally) but have the interactions autonomous makes it so much more realistic and fun. Better my Sims than me, right?

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2011, 03:14:57 PM »
ZZ, where Romance sims are concerned, I can't say for certain either.
Fortune/Fortune couples are likely to choose Woohoo over TFB every time, unless you force them. At least, I've had two of such couples, and they never chose TFB autonomously.
Any couples containing a Family or Knowledge sim will most certainly consciously TFB at their earliest convenience.

Or that's my experience, anyway.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2011, 11:44:26 PM »
Pleasure Sims also seem to get a lot of *family* wants, so maybe they will autonomously TFB too - I'll have to check.  Mind you, I do think a lot depends on personality as well as aspiration.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2011, 01:21:42 AM »
That might be true, ZZ, but I presume that's a lot harder to verify :)

Offline arathea

• Tempermental Tyke
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2011, 02:14:16 AM »
From my experience it's hungry+tired+almost stinky+need to pee=TFB. Preferably with some toddlers around, no room for more cribs and no money to expand or move. :dry:
Arathea's Area@TFM's Naughty Sims Asylum

Offline Pleun

• Talkative Toddler
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2011, 02:21:25 AM »
Fortune/Fortune couples are likely to choose Woohoo over TFB every time, unless you force them. At least, I've had two of such couples, and they never chose TFB autonomously.

I've seen some of mine try by themselves just fine. Jody Larson married Malcolm Landgraab, both are fortune sims. They (or at least one of them) had a baby want, they went and tried for a baby all by themselves, and had twin girls. And i recently caught them trying for a baby again. Without luck this time though, but who knows they'll try again? I'm thinking they (or just malcolm?) maybe really want a male heir.

From my experience it's hungry+tired+almost stinky+need to pee=TFB. Preferably with some toddlers around, no room for more cribs and no money to expand or move. :dry:

:lol:
Avatar made from artwork by Kagaya.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2011, 03:01:14 AM »
When Tasha Richardson (my only teen mom) became an adult, I had her use the orb to change her aspiration to Fortune. Then she married another Fortune Sim, and they woohoo-ed quite frequently, but no TFB at all for five days... Then I forced the issue, and they had twins: Natalie and Malcolm V :D

Indeed, she's Mrs. Landgraab now :P

anything