Author Topic: I would love objects that DON'T increase creativity!  (Read 1976 times)

Offline Valentinegirl

• Drooling Diaperfiller
I would love objects that DON'T increase creativity!
« on: July 25, 2012, 09:31:46 PM »
I have a Sim in my game (Sims 2) who is basically Mr. Perfect. I mean he is smart, charming, handsome and good at everything! There is one exception - I took him downtown with his date one time and they did Karaoke together and he was BAD! Completely tone-deaf! I found this really quite cute and endearing and it made me wonder if there is a way of hacking the music creativity objects so that sims can use them but not increase their creativity? Perhaps create a cloned set that do not allow for creativity to increase? So no matter how much they Karaoke or play the piano they remain hopeless in the musical department.

The objects I am thinking of are:
- all instruments
- Karaoke

Is this possible?

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Superannuated Coffeeholic
    • Zephyr Zodiac @ 4-Shared
Re: I would love objects that DON'T increase creativity!
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 11:45:03 PM »
You would need to hack the easel, too.  There are global hacks that prevent toddlers and kids from reaching more than a proscribed level, but they affect all toddlers and kids, not just those you might select.  Also, if someone did make a cloned version of each creativity skill object, then all members of a sim family would be similarly affected by tone-deafness etc. - if you had both versions on your lot, how would you prevent certain family members from using the normal version?
"All the world's a Neighbourhood, and all the men and women merely Sims."  ZephyrZodiac with apologies to Willie Waggledagger.

http://www.4shared.com/u/yCrnLoEP/Zephyr_Zodiac.html

Offline Katya

• Toddling Tot
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 01:54:20 AM »
If you have AL (or M&G), try this: Sim Blender + Skill Limiter. It'll allow you to set the upper limits on how far a sim can get in each skill on a sim-by-sim basis and will stay at that level until you change it. You will need to cancel any skill-based interactions once they reach their limit, but when they resume skill-based actions they won't skill up any further.

You'll find the limits on the blender under Skills -> Limits -> [Sim Name] -> [Skill Type] and range from 0 to 10 (with 10 being the default value).
Angelos Town Prosperity updated 7th May.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • We'll jump off that bridge when we come to it.
    • Leefish
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 05:19:38 AM »
I must say, Valentinegirl, that I'm not a fan of hacking the instruments (including the easel, as ZZ suggested) to stop the Creativity skilling. Because if we do that, sims have no means of learning creativity EVER unless they ever gain access to the Education career reward book case. It just doesn't seem like a good idea to me. Sorry!

"BO, Sir, you rock! :bow:" - TheISZ                           (banner design: eefje00704/Eva)

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 05:34:18 AM »
It would have to be done like Chaavik's version of the toddler table, separate object GUIDs so they don't override the originals.  For one small object with many functions, like the toddler table, it might well be worth the effort (and IMO it was, since I don't like the way the default operates, and it doesn't actually influence the skill-building at all) but for multiple objects, when you are dealing with functions of the object itself rather than simply the autonomous nature of the object, would entail an enormous amount of work, I think.

I suggest ValentineGirl uses Inge's locks and colour keys etc., to ban any sim she doesn't want to be able to sing nicely, from gaining access to the music room or the art studio....
"All the world's a Neighbourhood, and all the men and women merely Sims."  ZephyrZodiac with apologies to Willie Waggledagger.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 05:49:47 AM »
Yeah, making a cloned set of all those objects, just to remove their MAIN function seems like a lot of hard work for very little gain to me as well, ZZ.

What I *could* consider doing, though, is to investigate if it's possible to block creativity skilling for *autonomous* actions. Still a lot of work, seeing as we're talking about a rather large number of objects: ALL the musical instruments, the easel, the toddler music toy AND the toddler table. And that might not even affect any CC objects of similar function.

"BO, Sir, you rock! :bow:" - TheISZ                           (banner design: eefje00704/Eva)

Offline Valentinegirl

• Drooling Diaperfiller
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 05:53:54 AM »
Thanks for the replies everyone!

I certainly wouldn't request something that would cause an awful lot of work for not much result.

Katya's idea of using the Skill Limiter sounds like a simple and perfect solution for me. I've never really used Sim Blender and had no idea it had that kind of option. Thanks, Katya for the suggestion - I will certainly try it out!

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 06:08:20 AM »
It's probably the best option, since I think Creativity is needed for every single college major....

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 09:02:48 AM »
Not exactly ALL majors, really, but it is indeed used in most of them. Overal, it's one of the most used skills, governing painting, making music, dancing, crafting several objects... And most sims *do* want to gain some points in Creativity, regardless of their aspirations, careers, hobbies or whatnot. If you deny them that option altogether, I believe almost half the game becomes unplayable.

But as I said, restricting creativity gain to *directed* actions *should* be possible.

@Valentinegirl: don't worry about the time tables of the modders too much, dear. Some of them live for the challenge of fixing such stuff, and I'm no exception. And some of the things you might come up with, *might* also interest others!

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2012, 12:03:41 PM »
I know what it is, it's a requirement for the unselected major which all sims have on arrival at college.  Since mine only get their selected major once they roll the want for it, almost all of them do have to do the first semester, and therefore gain a creativity skill point.  But yes, I've never had a sim who didn't, at some point, roll the want for it, and it's the only one that Fortune Sims regularly want a level for, and therefore get more than 1000 aspiration points.  Other skills, I think, they only normally roll those kind of wants for when they have reached a certain enthusiasm level.

I do wish, however, that the game coders had made a distinction between being artistic and being musical....

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2012, 12:21:44 PM »
I couldn't agree more. Being Artistic, being Musical and being Creative all three different things, which should not have been thrown together under one header.

And you're right: the unselected major indeed requires Creativity. You *will* be able to pass the first semester without it, but you won't get a grade better than B for certain.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2012, 01:16:26 PM »
Can you tell me why I have a Pleasure sim who never, ever does any course work apart from going to class, all his skilling is autonomous (he never actually wants to gain any skill points,,,), his only achievement is to max enthusiasm in Games, and he never gets lower than a C grade?  Does the game make special dispensations for Pleasure sims?

Offline AlfredAskew

• Toddling Tot
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2012, 02:54:47 PM »
Did he meet a tall and handsome stranger whose first name started in "prof" and ended in "essor"? ;)

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2012, 02:56:09 PM »
To be honest, I don't know why you have a Pleasure sim, ZZ...

OK, that was a small joke. But seriously, as long as a sim meets enough of the current semester's skill requirements, they'll be able to pass the exam even by just attending classes and/or doing research. Only to get an A+, they'll need to meet ALL the skill requirements. The only way to flunk and get on probation, is to FAIL all skill requirements. That will cause them to get a D or less.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2012, 03:32:51 PM »
Ah, but you see, BO, he seems to have lower skill requirements for his major than other similar sims, he can have no current skill requirements earned, he never does any research, and never gets a single college want - and until they get one, my students don't get told to do them... and he never gets above the cut-off line!

And no, since I have TJ's mod and also ban professors with the VC, he's never met a professor (nor has anyone else!)

Offline miros1

• Face Collector
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Face Collector
    • The Wooden Simolean
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2012, 03:56:51 PM »
Katya, where did the Skill Limiter come from?  We like to have some "provenance" so people know where the stuff they download came from originally.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2012, 03:58:35 PM »
@ZZ: Ah, now THAT is weird, and I have no explanation for it. If he doesn't exceed the cut-off line, then he should NOT pass for any exam. EVER!

Offline Dark_Author

• Administrator
  • Whining Whelp
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2012, 05:09:26 PM »
Miros, the skill limiter addition to the blender is from here.  TJ made it.

Click On Those, Please?

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2012, 05:10:34 PM »
Exactly!  I've sent Pleasure sims to college before now (the Downtownie teens, for example) and I've never had this happen before.  Maybe it's because he's so good at games?

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2012, 12:14:17 AM »
Sure, that must be it... Exams are just guessing games. And because he's good at that, he wins every time :lol:
No, seriously, that can't be it, either. I really have no explanation, ZZ. Not any that sounds reasonable even to my own ears, anyway.

Offline Katya

• Toddling Tot
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2012, 01:55:05 AM »
@miros1, dark_author is right, TJ originally made it. The original attachment has been lost in the void, but the original thread is right here.
Angelos Town Prosperity updated 7th May.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2012, 02:15:16 AM »
D_A would definitely know, since she initiated the thread.  Attachments did get lost when we moved, but maybe now you have brought this to our attention something can be done about it.  :smile:

http://www.simbology.com/smf/index.php?topic=7186.msg142283#msg142283

Offline miros1

• Face Collector
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Face Collector
    • The Wooden Simolean
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2012, 02:41:32 AM »
Thanks for hooking it up in the correct  place, ZZ!

Although I'm a complete slave driver who would never  use such a thing, I can see where it might be useful if I wanted a Sim who couldn't gain skills for some reason....

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2012, 03:17:45 AM »
Always useful if you don't want your teens getting too many scholarships.... after all, the advantage of a mod like this is you can always change it for specific sims later.

Offline MaryH

• Tempermental Tyke
  • Otherwise known as Mary of H.
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2012, 03:21:34 AM »
Actually, this is something I needed before I thought about it (but I had been desperate for it, in reality). I have a 'telemarketing lot' that is equipped with a podium from PCSim's Katy that brings in money for every call made. However, the downside is that it also gives out charisma points like crazy while doing so.

This mod completely nerfs that skill gaining, so all the pixels do is make calls and money at the same time, which is all they were supposed to be doing. (The charisma skilling was actually quite annoying.)

So thanks for reposting the mod!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 03:24:23 AM by MaryH »

anything