Author Topic: New Utility -- Vista and Win7 Testers Needed  (Read 2161 times)

Offline miros1

• Face Collector
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Face Collector
    • The Wooden Simolean
New Utility -- Vista and Win7 Testers Needed
« on: December 12, 2010, 11:07:41 PM »
After working on this thing off and on for 4 years, I'm finally ready to release SimText!

It works perfectly on Win98 and WinXP (both of which I run, on different machines), and should run on Vista, although it hasn't been fully tested.  I have no idea what it will do on Win7, but shouldn't do anything bad to your computer, since the previous version simply didn't show the context  menu items under Vista.

http://woodensimolean.dimensionality.com/node/201

Offline miros1

• Face Collector
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Face Collector
    • The Wooden Simolean
Re: New Utility -- Vista and Win7 Testers Needed
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 12:48:41 PM »
I've been told it works great under Vista -- can someone verify under Win7?

(Sorry about the necromancy...)

Offline MaximilianPs

• Mushloving Mophead
  • AKA Max3D
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 12:33:32 AM »
sorry if i'm a bit retarded, it is used to change the object description ? is that what I undrestand  :unsure:
anyway, under Win7 x64,

• started as usual (double click)
    it made a log.
    Thu Jul 28 09:21:04 2011
     -- Error reading Disabled DBPF Package information from Registry
  • started by right click on package
    Thu Jul 28 09:22:32 2011
     -- Error moving file (D:\Documenti\EA Games\The Sims 2\Downloads\M3D global Magazine(Alien - Logic)Beta2.package->D:\Documenti\EA Games\The Sims 2\Downloads\Downloads\M3D global Magazine(Alien - Logic)Beta2.package).
    do the same also with Adiministrator option on, in compatibility mode, after that windows pop up a window asking something like (translating from Italian) "The folder is already present, would you remove it ?"  :blink:

Offline Pleun

• Talkative Toddler
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 02:13:32 AM »
Okay, so i tried this out for you. Trying to open it normally, it gave an error message in the log. Same as the one Max posted. I then right clicked and used the option execute as administrator (translated from dutch), which is kinda silly if it would make a difference, as i don't use accounts and should always be administrator already, but that's a silly windows thing. Anyways using that worked. I got the options in the menu. Advanced seems to work fine as well, a popup giving me a location, set path giving a window to select a location. But also needs to be run under the administrator option to be able to add the menu options.

Testing the installed menu options; I could use the rename option just fine (removed a suffix letter b, and it was renamed with the b removed). Disabling and reenabled seems to work just fine (it changed from package, to packageddisabled and back to package again). I could use the one click install from my downloads folder just fine (it asked me if i wanted to make a folder, and after i clicked yes it moved it there). Undo from the windows explorer menu worked as well. So all the options seem to work fine.

However, one thing isn't working, and that is the clear menu options. No matter which way i start simtext, regularly or under administrator, the menu options remain. So for now, once installed, it cannot be removed.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 02:15:29 AM by Pleun »
Avatar made from artwork by Kagaya.

Offline miros1

• Face Collector
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Face Collector
    • The Wooden Simolean
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 03:46:41 PM »
Thanks for the info, Max and Pleun!  I'll add the warning that it has to be run as admin the first time and that "Clear Menu Items" doesn't seem to work.  (Did you try the Clear as admin too?)

I'll try to get these issues cleared up soon.

Offline Pleun

• Talkative Toddler
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 03:54:50 PM »
(Did you try the Clear as admin too?)

Yup, didn't work.
Avatar made from artwork by Kagaya.

Offline miros1

• Face Collector
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Face Collector
    • The Wooden Simolean
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 04:09:52 AM »
sorry if i'm a bit retarded, it is used to change the object description ? is that what I undrestand  :unsure:

No, it shows you the description and lets you adjust the filename accordingly.  Thanks for testing!

Offline miros1

• Face Collector
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Face Collector
    • The Wooden Simolean
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2017, 04:44:26 PM »
Ok, I have a piccy of the new context menu options for SimText under Win 7. It still doesn't remove the menu items correctly, but it does show you all the STR# resources!

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Superannuated Coffeeholic
    • Zephyr Zodiac @ 4-Shared
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2017, 02:19:01 AM »
Miros1, will this put right the annoying thing that sometimes happens when a mesh is compressorised and the name of the object that shows in game reverts to the Maxis generic?
"All the world's a Neighbourhood, and all the men and women merely Sims."  ZephyrZodiac with apologies to Willie Waggledagger.

http://www.4shared.com/u/yCrnLoEP/Zephyr_Zodiac.html

Offline miros1

• Face Collector
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Face Collector
    • The Wooden Simolean
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2017, 03:55:47 PM »
Sadly, no.  It only shows you the resources, not changes them.  I will be very careful not to compressorize any meshes!

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2017, 06:22:41 PM »
I am now, but at one time I just thought it was ok to compressorize everything!  Meshes still work fine, just show those annoying Maxis generic names!  It can usually be put right in SimPE, but not always (and sometimes Sims2Cat will do it perfectly well, but again, not always).
I really need to search out as many of those meshes as I can find that can't be put right, but of course that can be a bit of a challenge these days!
"All the world's a Neighbourhood, and all the men and women merely Sims."  ZephyrZodiac with apologies to Willie Waggledagger.

Offline miros1

• Face Collector
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Face Collector
    • The Wooden Simolean
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2017, 08:28:23 AM »
Wonder if I could beg jFade for the source, so I could make it NOT compressorize meshes...

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2017, 10:54:55 AM »
Well, you can remove mesh files from a set before you compressorize - the problem is, though, if you want to compressorize a lot of stuff!  However, a version that ignored meshes altogether would be brilliant!

anything
anything