Author Topic: Visitors woohooing?  (Read 14851 times)

Offline Sleepycat

• Resident Hairball
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • meow!
Visitors woohooing?
« on: October 24, 2010, 04:34:36 AM »
Ok this 'issue' came up on N99 and I realized that what I figured was a change in ACR could instead be a mod conflicting. While I am willing to go through my many hacks to find the one that is conflicting, I'd first like to be sure there actually is a issue.

So:

Are visitors (on residential lots) supposed to be able to sneak off to a bedroom or hot tub (or sofa) and woohoo? ~ Without them being made selectable.

I remember ages back that they could but for quite some time now (over a year at the least), they haven't in my game. Like I said before, I figured it was just a change in ACR so I never asked about it, even though I missed it. Some members at N99 have (non-selectable) visitors woohooing and some don't.   
TFM's Naughty Sims Asylum - home of my Sim stuff - SC4 Terrains, Sims, Hairy Skintones, Hoods and some clothes & stuff.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Superannuated Coffeeholic
    • Zephyr Zodiac @ 4-Shared
Re: Visitors woohooing?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 04:54:02 AM »
They do in my game.  However, I'm not using the latest version of ACR and haven't installed AL or M&G, so I don't know if that makes a difference.  It seems to happen mostly at parties - invite mum and dad to your Uni graduation, and they'll definitely head for the hot tub (as if they hadn't got their own!)
"All the world's a Neighbourhood, and all the men and women merely Sims."  ZephyrZodiac with apologies to Willie Waggledagger.

http://www.4shared.com/u/yCrnLoEP/Zephyr_Zodiac.html

Offline doren

• Whining Whelp
    • Sim Stories
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 05:27:56 AM »
Bed no, hot tub and - if you lower the requirements for it - sofa yes.
Like ZZ, I have seen visitors using the hot tub even with older versions of ACR. When a resident and a visitor use a bed together, it is always the resident initiating it .... no, wrong... I HAVE seen two visiting students use a bed (with a previous version of ACR) in a dormer.
The room is used by Barry Broke because he can only fit a single bed into his room, but it does not have a dormer door and he usually sleeps in the bed of his girlfriend (not at the moment, I guess, because she is very angry with him for cheating in the aforementioned bed). To make it short, I don't think it counts as belonging to anyone, so maybe it depends on bed ownership, regardless whether you have smart beds or not (I don't).
I have not seen two visitors on a sofa in a residential home, but I have seen visitors initiating a sofa woohoo with a resident, so I guess two visitors could do the same. They are not fussy when it comes to using sofas on community lots. I build a "public library" with a platform and a bannister and the sofa up there is used by couples all the time. Stupid sims think nobody sees them on the platform.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 05:38:10 AM »
Sofa woohoo I don't think I've seen with two visitors, but that's probably because the sofas are in the house, and usually on a foundation, whereas the hot tub is in the garden, and on ground level.  The same tends to apply to beds, but in a house with no foundation and no hot tub, I have seen two visitors hop into a bed.  Smart Beds, I think, will only affect sleeping, not woohooing.
"All the world's a Neighbourhood, and all the men and women merely Sims."  ZephyrZodiac with apologies to Willie Waggledagger.

Offline doren

• Whining Whelp
    • Sim Stories
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 05:56:05 AM »
The older version has strict requirements when it comes to using the sofa. The latest version of ACR has an option to lower those requirements (with the only restriction that the two sims have to be alone in the room). A platform with a bannister seems to count as a separate room and therefore...

Visiting sims seem to be really happy when I "turn the switch". Not every house has a hot tub and so before they had to wait until a resident is in the right mood. This is also the reason why I believe that generally visitors will not use an "owned" bed.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 05:59:52 AM »
Next time I load my game I shall check this out on a lot without a hot tub.  With a hot tub, especially a love tub, this seems to overrule everything, so it's hard to see what else might happen if there wasn't one available.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • We'll jump off that bridge when we come to it.
    • Leefish
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2010, 06:12:13 AM »
In short, I'd say that if the bed is free (and unowned?), and the visitors have been greeted, then I see no reason why they couldn't Woohoo. After all, dormies do it in the dorm halls, and townies do it on community lots. And they are all non-selectable. So why would visitors on a residential lot feel inhibited in any way? ;)

I'd be very upset if they'd TfB, though. Married or not!

"BO, Sir, you rock! :bow:" - TheISZ                           (banner design: eefje00704/Eva)

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2010, 06:17:08 AM »
That tends to be my view, and I think they just choose the closest place, generally a hot tub or maybe a photo booth.... or a garden seat?

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2010, 06:29:08 AM »
As long as the privacty rules aren't violated (not applicable with sofas and relaxed sofa restrictions, as doren pointed out), ANY place will do for these horny little bastards ;)
And yes, garden benches *are* considered sofas for this purpose, so they *will* use them if they must ;)

"BO, Sir, you rock! :bow:" - TheISZ                           (banner design: eefje00704/Eva)

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2010, 06:35:06 AM »
Even with snow on the ground and a Force 10 gale blowing! Brrrh!

Offline Zirconia Wolf

• Queen of the Cross-Post
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Reticulated MoonBat Queen
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2010, 06:56:42 AM »
Even with snow on the ground and a Force 10 gale blowing! Brrrh!

That reminds me of the long-held Hollywood tradition (usually in Westerns but seen elsewhere too) of having the hero & his main squeeze gleefully getting it on in a haystack.

Apparently, that's supposed to be *titillating* but all I can think is "Ow,ow,ow! Good job, you dumb %$#@! Now you both have hay up your @#$%, fools!!"

(Seriously- did no one in the movie industry every encounter a bale of hay at any point in their lives? Because it is NOT a good place for romantic encounters....)
~ Long Live All Wild Canines! ~
~ Sims 1 & 2 Forever! Sims 3 or 4? Never!! ~
~ Queen Of The Great InTeen Moon-Bat Revolution ~

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2010, 09:18:26 AM »
Indeed! It might be nice and warm in winter (I wouldn't know), but if you're naked in the hay, I think it stings like hell, and makes you itch all over. And lying there dressed can't be much better, with all that stuff creeping up in your clothes. On the other hand, one might say that if you can both endure that for each other, then that's a sign of true love (it's a stretch, I know). In that respect it might be called romantic, maybe.

Now a bearskin rug in front of a fire, that's a completely different story.

Offline Zirconia Wolf

• Queen of the Cross-Post
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Reticulated MoonBat Queen
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2010, 11:00:51 AM »
Bearskin rug by a fireplace...now why didn't that TS1 gem ever get converted into TS2? I always liked that thing...
~ Long Live All Wild Canines! ~
~ Sims 1 & 2 Forever! Sims 3 or 4? Never!! ~
~ Queen Of The Great InTeen Moon-Bat Revolution ~

Offline Sleepycat

• Resident Hairball
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • meow!
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2010, 11:25:48 AM »
Looks like I will be doing the hack dance then to find out which hack is 'silently' conflicting. It'll be worth it to get that feature back!  I'll stick one of my old hoods in for testing (where lots of sims already know each other).

Just before I went to bed I realized I should have said that I haven't been seeing visitors woohoo in maybe 2 years or more (certainly well over 1). I can't remember just how long ago it was.   :hmm:
TFM's Naughty Sims Asylum - home of my Sim stuff - SC4 Terrains, Sims, Hairy Skintones, Hoods and some clothes & stuff.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2010, 03:49:00 PM »
Does sound, in that case, as though it might be a hack.... possibly the same one I have (dunno what) that seems to prevent party guests from having baths.... I know BUY would probably do that, but even without BUY I can't remember it happening in a long, long time....

Offline Sleepycat

• Resident Hairball
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • meow!
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2010, 11:06:38 PM »

I have woohooing visitors again!   :prancing:

The odd thing is that I don't know why I didn't before. I removed a bunch of hacks (by creator folder) and then tested, right off I had visitors woohooing. I put some back, tested, still had visitors woohooing. Put more back, still had them. etc... I ended up with them all back in (except one) and still had them.  I doubt it could be simwardrobes "Maximum Strength Disinfectant," which is the one I didn't put back in (I don't need it).  :hmm:

After all that, I decided to remove the couple hacks that I originally suspected (don't really need them), even though I didn't have the problem after putting them back in.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2010, 12:50:32 AM »
Congratz, Sleepy!!! :cele1: :prancing:

It's a puzzling concept, though: essentially not changing anything, and still see the game change it's behavior. Very odd...
Anyway, I'm happy for you that your sims are acting 'normal' (whatever that may be) again. :)

Offline doren

• Whining Whelp
    • Sim Stories
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2010, 02:22:58 AM »
When I played last night after reading this thread, I realised that I have not seen a burglar in about two years, maybe longer. I never had a burglar in Desiderata Valley (so I don't even know what the burglar there looks like) and had not seen one in Strangetown (the neighbourhood I played before) for a long time.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2010, 02:29:37 AM »
I don't have them either.  First, because of antiredundancy there is only one in any case, and secondly because that one is a baby.....

Offline Sleepycat

• Resident Hairball
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • meow!
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2010, 05:48:34 AM »

Thanks BO.  It is puzzling but I'm awfully happy that feature isn't broken anymore!  It bothered me once I knew it was broken.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2010, 05:59:23 AM »
I can fully understand that, Sleepy. Even if it never bothered you before, once you *know* something is amiss, you simply *must* find out why, or at least get it fixed again. I feel exactly the same about such matters.

Maybe some hidden load-order conflict (something in a BCON for example) got unstuck when you temporarily removed the offending mod (even unaware of which one it was). Anyway, it's sorted now.
Maybe you should compile a list of which mods you took out, so that others may benefit from it too, if they're bothered by the same issue.

Offline Sleepycat

• Resident Hairball
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • meow!
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2010, 04:02:09 PM »

Yes, I'm thinking something came unstuck when I removed that bunch of mods, which makes me really glad I had a reason to do it.  It'll be interesting to see if anything else (some other game or hack feature) I thought was gone, starts working again too. 

Last night I confirmed in my current hood that I still have woohooing visitors.  :cheese: 

I would have trouble listing what hacks I removed & then put back in. I didn't exactly keep track of what hack folders I pulled and I didn't do them in order. :P

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2010, 07:39:22 PM »
Makes me wonder whether we all ought to occasionally pull our entire hacks folder and then replace it after deleting groups.cache.  :hmm:  who knows what we've all assumed was changed game behaviour that is caused the same way.

Offline Sleepycat

• Resident Hairball
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • meow!
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2010, 08:21:14 PM »

Oh, that reminds me. *deletes group cache* I meant to do that when I was testing but kept forgetting.

Offline arathea

• Tempermental Tyke
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2010, 10:26:00 PM »
Makes me wonder whether we all ought to occasionally pull our entire hacks folder and then replace it after deleting groups.cache.  :hmm:  who knows what we've all assumed was changed game behaviour that is caused the same way.

That reminds me... I don't think that it's a hack conflict, my suspect here is OFB, but I haven't seen members of the same family as walk-bys on comm lots in years. The last one I remember was when one of my sims was visiting a clothes shop with her teenage sons to buy them new outfits. Her husband was at work when they left home but later, when he should be back home, he appeared as a walk-by. The boys were playing/talking outside and it was hubby's birthday before he became an elder so he got a spontaneous present, something they never did before - playing in the changing booth. :giggle: I miss that as a risk for my romance sims too. There were some dates ruined that way.
Arathea's Area@TFM's Naughty Sims Asylum

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2010, 11:55:14 PM »
I have a feeling that the VC did something to prevent sims who should be elsewhere walking by or visiting comm lots.... or else one of Pes's mods - I do remember at one time a lot of people found it annoying.

Offline doren

• Whining Whelp
    • Sim Stories
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2010, 12:14:20 AM »
That reminds me... I don't think that it's a hack conflict, my suspect here is OFB, but I haven't seen members of the same family as walk-bys on comm lots in years. The last one I remember was when one of my sims was visiting a clothes shop with her teenage sons to buy them new outfits. Her husband was at work when they left home but later, when he should be back home, he appeared as a walk-by.

I never had walk-bys from the same family when I visited a community lot with other family members. What I do get a lot is members of the same family visiting a community lot together. Beau and his fiancee Louise for example rarely seem to go anywhere alone (they are so cute at the moment). Siblings often appear together too.

Offline arathea

• Tempermental Tyke
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2010, 12:45:41 AM »
I don't have the VC in my game and looking at Pescado's hacks I have installed, I don't think one of these would stop that. IIRC the issue started before I got my hack addiction.
Arathea's Area@TFM's Naughty Sims Asylum

Offline doren

• Whining Whelp
    • Sim Stories
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2010, 02:09:27 AM »

Maybe the same is true for programs. SimPE is acting up lately, I constantly have to reset the layout for example or it looks like the files don't load.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2010, 03:04:51 AM »

You're right, ZZ. I'm going to try that: taking out the hacks folder, delete groups.cache, and then move the subfolders in one by one, running a test-hood after each added folder. If there's anything stuck in my game that shouldn't be, it'll probably be flushed out this way. I can think of two things that bug me, but for which I never found an explanation:

1. At some point in history, suddenly the game clock got stuck on 12-hours display, even though in the settings it's set NOT to force 12-hour clock. Recently it temporarily showed 24-hour clocks again, though...
2. After putting in AnoeskaB's easels, the painting menus were very nicely ordered. Later - maybe around when the clock started working at 24-hours again, the painting menu suddenly looked different, with the standard maxis options separated from Anoeska's new options. Pulling a large group of totally unrelated objects (inert furniture) from my downloads, suddenly the menus are nicely ordered again. But simultaneously, the clocks reverted to the 12-hours state...

Really, I've gone over everything in my hacks folders, but can't find any reasonable explanation for these hick-ups hiccups. And the Fates only know what else became screwed up in my game, which I never noticed... Maybe this procedure you suggested would help me get things right again! Thanks for suggesting it! :bow:

@doren: I would HATE having to reset SimPE's settings... it tends to screw with the Game settings as well: it rewrites the userstartup.cheat file, and even removes the read-only flag off it in order to be able to overwrite it! (I always make that file read-only, but every time after running SimPE, the flag is removed). Horribly fucked up... I think the SimPE team really crossed the line there...
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 04:18:43 AM by BoilingOil »

Offline doren

• Whining Whelp
    • Sim Stories
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2010, 03:43:40 AM »

@doren: I would HATE having to reset SimPE's settings... it tends to screw with the Game settings as well: it rewrites the userstartup.cheat file, and even removes the read-only flag off it in order to be able to overwrite it! (I always make that file read-only, but every time after running SimPE, the flag is removed). Horribly fucked up... I think the SimPE team really crossed the line there...

You're right  :omg:! Why? It still has the same lines in it but it was in fact changed at the time when I last reset the SimPE settings.
It only started doing that lately and resetting it alone does not help. I am off work with a cold at the moment and don't find it so easy to concentrate. I had to redo the same task about four times and it does not help if SimPE suddenly does not show the data anymore.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2010, 04:09:31 AM »
I think it might have been the last one or two versions, I never noticed a problem, but I'm using an older version.

BO - hiccups (or more correctly, hiccoughs, but rarely used except in a medical situation).
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 04:12:14 AM by zephyrzodiac »

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2010, 04:14:10 AM »
@doren: in fact it DOES change something if you're playing with testingcheats enabled by default (which I do): SimPE's overwrite will disable them again!

@ZZ. In this one respect you're lucky that you never installed AL/M&G. For you that older version of SimPE is still up-to-date. Once you put in those last two expansions, you'll NEED to update SimPE as well, and then you're as screwed as we are...

Also, thank you ZZ, for pointing out the correct spelling for hiccups. :bow:

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2010, 04:16:58 AM »
Once, or if, I do, I'll bear that in mind, BO!  Especially since there is around zero likelihood that Inge or anyone else from the SimPE team will ever revisit it and put right any glitches.

Offline doren

• Whining Whelp
    • Sim Stories
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2010, 11:40:31 PM »
That reminds me... I don't think that it's a hack conflict, my suspect here is OFB, but I haven't seen members of the same family as walk-bys on comm lots in years. The last one I remember was when one of my sims was visiting a clothes shop with her teenage sons to buy them new outfits. Her husband was at work when they left home but later, when he should be back home, he appeared as a walk-by.

I never had walk-bys from the same family ....

And that very night I had Lilith and Ben - a married couple - appear together as walk-bys at a friend's house. I may have seen this once before but it is a very rare occurrence to have more than one from one family walking by a resident lot.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2010, 12:26:55 AM »
I wonder, as I see it quite often, if it's because the game sends one and the VC sends the other..... in the same way that the same sim can frequently walk by the same lot twice in succession, which by all the laws of chance should be a rare thing to happen in a largeish hood.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2010, 06:10:35 AM »
That wouldn't make sense, since I often see two sims from the same family show up, and I don't have VC ;) It happens more often at comm lots than at residentials, though.

Maybe the size of the household (number of sims) matters? Since I *do* see it more often with the few larger families...
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 06:12:22 AM by BoilingOil »

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2010, 01:06:46 PM »
Usually, they aren't walkbys, they are autonomous visitors.  If one of them is a family friend, then they are probably calling on him/her, when something happens to interfere with that activity.  If you have the teleporter from the DMA Workers Set, and set it so that visitors don't have to be greeted, they would just walk into the house, so it would be a way of checking whether that is what is going on.

However, in a small hood with only a few families, the law of averages would mean there would be a greater chance of two members of the same family passing in succession that in a large hood with a couple of dozen households.  Also, of course, using localwalkby makes the odds of it happening far higher, since not only will walkbys not come from other subhoods, but they seem only to come from a fairly small section of a large hood, or around half of a subhood.  When I last played VV, the only sims who would walkby across the river from their half were autonomous visitors....

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2011, 03:02:19 PM »
Sorry for the necromancy, but I think it could be useful to someone.

ZZ, I've discovered that you're at least right about one thing: every time I'm playing the Gieke-Cameron family, the Copur-Payne family pays them a visit - NOT just walk by - and they'll BOTH be there.
And Alicia is the family friend, whereas Sheena is hardly known by the Gieke-Camerons. Sounds like Alicia wants Sheena to know her friends, too ;)

But still, I don't have VC, so the game engine makes that decision on its own. How? Why? :hmm: I don't know, and in this case I don't care, either... ;)

The rest sounds logical enough to me as well. The more sims available in the pool, the smaller the chance that two walk-bys will be members of the same household.

Offline Sleepycat

• Resident Hairball
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • meow!
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2013, 07:01:51 PM »
Necromancy but I have information in case others have run into this issue (visitors not woohooing). It's not a hack issue so no hack dance is necessary.

I recently realized my visitors weren't woohooing again. Bad sims!  :impatient:  Deleting the NeighborhoodManager file appears to fix it, though I also deleted the 3 cache files, just in case.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2013, 10:52:09 PM »
Deleting the NM can often fix stuff that nothing else will fix.  When I was playing Desiderata, I was going through moving adult townies into houses, then moving a couple of teens/kids in with them.. In one particular case, I'd moved the adult in, the kids were supposedly moved in, and they were invisible and unclickable!  I could click their icons and tell them to do stuff, but they didn't actually do it (I obviously gave them tasks that would have a visual or audible response.  Zilch.  I tried resetting the lot with the batbox.  No go.  I tried exiting the lot and reloading again zilch.  I deleted the NM and the next time I played, the teen and the kid were on the lot and heading for fun things to do!

anything
anything