Author Topic: ACR - Jealousy, Cheating, Autonomy  (Read 14554 times)

Offline doren

• Whining Whelp
    • Sim Stories
ACR - Jealousy, Cheating, Autonomy
« on: July 25, 2010, 03:09:08 AM »
A while after installing the 5b version, I started to get these weird reactions when it comes to cheating again. It can be amusing but I still would like to know why it happens. I only started to get this with the newer 5x versions, not with the older ones.

Examples:
Simon Broke, known to some here as being a very grouchy romance sim from Sleepycat's "stable", is engaged. I did not change his settings with regard to autonomy and cheating and he has an autonomy of 5; his One is usually his fiancee.
He likes to hang out on the beach and since I lessened the sofa restrictions, sims like to use the little sitting room it has. There is a photobooth too.
Lately he is forcefully rejecting any flirts or invitations to woohoo. It doesn't matter what his relationship with the women is, but usually it badly suffers from the constant rejections.

Sam and Bobby Kettle and Harvey Mercer are all going steady with the same woman, Lilly, living with them. Her One is Bobby Kettle and Harvey Mercer is the one she is most attracted to. After putting the 5b version into the game, she started to reject Sam (which he took out on the punching bag  :lol:). I did not see her with the other two, but it looked like she initiated a woohoo with Harvey (they were interrupted because her belly popped).
Bobby on the other hand is also going steady with Terri Love. When I called him into her house (making him temporarily a family member) he rejected her. His One seemed to be permanently stuck to a completely different woman. Again, I did not make any changes with regard to autonomy or cheating and since they are all romance, lest Lilly, who is knowledge, their autonomy is 5.

Hal Cameron is the son of Harvey. He's been going steady with his girlfriend since he was a teen and they are both students now. I set his autonomy to "spouse only" because that always worked with any committed relationship in the old versions, but did not change the cheating settings. Now, while the above become fussy, he out of all sims suddenly starts flirting and making out with another girl. He was in love with her or they fell in love then, but his One continued to be his girlfriend. I made him selectable, changed his settings to no cheating and removed the love between him and the other girl. This stopped him, but I thought it was weird that he suddenly started to cheat.
Then at a birthday party, his girlfriend (who has never kissed etc. another one) gets into the love tub with someone else. I stopped them, but wondered again, why she did not reject him. I had not set her to no cheating though (as I had thought). Hal is fortune, his girlfriend popularity.

I see incidents like this all the time lately and it seems to concern mainly sims in steady relationships (originating from teen proposals, Syberspunk's hack or Inteen) and engaged sims (as Simon shows). I have the feeling that marriage does not put such limitation on my sims.

Yesterday, Tyra was invited by her boyfriend, Lucien, who now lives with his brother, Marvin and his girlfriend. Tyra is in love with both but she rejected Marvin when he tried to flirt with her. I tried it with a non-ACR flirt, which was not rejected. I then changed the settings for the lot to "no jealousy" and that seems to solve the issue.

I noticed that with version 5a and it seems that the rejections are less sudden faithfulness than misjudging the risk of a jealous reaction. Furthermore, a photobooth woohoo appears more likely to be accepted than woohoo on the sofa or in bed.

What is constant is that I don't get it with the 4x versions, so it must be connected to a change made in the updated versions.

I also still don't understand the difference between autonomy and cheating.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 03:28:16 AM by doren »

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • We'll jump off that bridge when we come to it.
    • Leefish
Re: ACR - Jealousy, Cheating, Autonomy
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 05:35:39 AM »
I'd say that cheating is only an issue once a sim is in a committed relationship, that is 'going steady', 'engaged' or 'married'. If they're in such a relationship, and cheating is turned off for them, they *should* not initiate - or even accept - romantic interactions from other sims than their SO.

Also, most of the time, once they're in a committed relationship, I've found that my sims usually keep their SO as 'The One Sim' indefinitely.

Autonomy *should* only mean their freedom to engage in romantic interactions (within the above limits) without being told to do so.

I'm sure I didn't tell you anything new so far, because you already know this much. But then comes ACR, where both Cheating and Autonomy have multiple levels.

In the Cheating section, one would define which actions are allowable for that sim, and which are not. One would *hope* that if you deem WooHoo as NOT acceptable, they would NOT do that under any circumstance.

The autonomy setting seems to me more like an activity threshold. Sims with higher autonomy settings will be more likely to initiate higher level romantic activities/interactions. And if their SO/committed partner/One is not available, and they're desperate enough, they might perhaps look to someone else to satisfy their needs.

But then, this is only *my* interpretation, which I'm afraid isn't even worth $0.02, even if it contained *anything* that you didn't already know. Alas, I have little further to add. :blush:

"BO, Sir, you rock! :bow:" - TheISZ                           (banner design: eefje00704/Eva)

Offline arathea

• Tempermental Tyke
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 07:04:55 AM »
Don't know if this belongs here, but something strange happened lately with ACR 5b installed.
I was playing a fresh installation of the Uber-Mega-Hood and send my sim to a community lot. A bit later, Don Lothario and Nina Caliente arrived there and Don started to make out with Nina (successfully). Afterwards Nina made several attempts to flirt with Don or to kiss him and all were rejected. Both sims weren't selectable at this point and I'm not sure if all actions were ACR related or if all/some were default game behaviour.
Arathea's Area@TFM's Naughty Sims Asylum

Offline doren

• Whining Whelp
    • Sim Stories
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 08:19:39 AM »
In the Cheating section, one would define which actions are allowable for that sim, and which are not. One would *hope* that if you deem WooHoo as NOT acceptable, they would NOT do that under any circumstance.

The autonomy setting seems to me more like an activity threshold. Sims with higher autonomy settings will be more likely to initiate higher level romantic activities/interactions. And if their SO/committed partner/One is not available, and they're desperate enough, they might perhaps look to someone else to satisfy their needs.

With older ACR versions, which did not have the cheating settings, sims also rejected any romantic interactions if they were set to spouse only and I guess this is one reason why I can't see the difference between autonomy 1 (spouse only) and no cheating allowed.

arathea, this corresponds with the behaviour of my sims because the rejecters can successfully initiate romantic interactions with other sims (if they are not in a committed relationship).

In the meantime, Simon got married and it really looks like whatever stops them when they are going steady/being engaged does not apply once they are married. Late during the wedding party - which took place on a community lot - Kitten Love appeared and he tried to flirt with her a few times.
She is going steady too so Simon was on the receiving end this time. She did not used to be the faithful type either though.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Superannuated Coffeeholic
    • Zephyr Zodiac @ 4-Shared
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2010, 08:24:26 AM »
With older ACR versions, which did not have the cheating settings, sims also rejected any romantic interactions if they were set to spouse only and I guess this is one reason why I can't see the difference between autonomy 1 (spouse only) and no cheating allowed.

Doren, I think there are some interactions which, for some reason, the game doesn't count as *cheating*....
"All the world's a Neighbourhood, and all the men and women merely Sims."  ZephyrZodiac with apologies to Willie Waggledagger.

http://www.4shared.com/u/yCrnLoEP/Zephyr_Zodiac.html

Offline doren

• Whining Whelp
    • Sim Stories
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2010, 08:30:03 AM »
But covered by the no cheating setting of ACR?

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2010, 08:35:08 AM »
Well, I just wondered, if maybe the No Cheating setting covers those actions the game regards as cheating whereas Spouse Only covers all actions with other than the spouse?
"All the world's a Neighbourhood, and all the men and women merely Sims."  ZephyrZodiac with apologies to Willie Waggledagger.

Offline miros1

• Face Collector
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Face Collector
    • The Wooden Simolean
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2010, 08:54:58 AM »
No, I'm pretty sure TJ came up with his own list of stuff he considered to be cheating and it's used at all levels of autonomy and in the Saner Jealousy hack (whatever it's called -- MaxisCheatingFix I think).

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2010, 09:26:44 AM »

Ok, how about this: as an Autonomy setting, "Spouse only" merely prevents them from inititating romantic interactions with others than their SO, not from accepting them, because that's what the Cheating section is for.

Is that any clearer to understand?

"BO, Sir, you rock! :bow:" - TheISZ                           (banner design: eefje00704/Eva)

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2010, 09:52:32 AM »
That makes sense, especially with those randy students!

Offline doren

• Whining Whelp
    • Sim Stories
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2010, 11:49:45 AM »

Ok, how about this: as an Autonomy setting, "Spouse only" merely prevents them from inititating romantic interactions with others than their SO, not from accepting them, because that's what the Cheating section is for.

Is that any clearer to understand?

It does make sense - so yes, I understand it - , however, as I said in the part you quoted, the setting used to stop them from accepting romantic interactions too and I don't think this has actually changed. The ACR notes don't say anything about autonomy.

In the case of Hal I am quite but not completely sure that he started some of the flirts with the other girl though, so the autonomy setting did not stop him in any case.

Mainly as I described above I have the opposite problem.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2010, 01:48:14 PM »
The only other place where "Spouse Only" means anything, is in the Jealousy settings. However, they merely cover how your sim responds to other sims cheating. For example, if your sim has three loves, to one of which he's married. With the "Spouse Only" setting, he *would* get upset if his spouse cheated, but not if any of the others did so. His own cheating wouldn't be affected by this setting.

From what I know, TJ never actually wrote a complete manual for ACR 2. He just made some notes about a number of changes from the previous version. If the cheating menu didn't exist in a previous version, then it makes sense that another section indeed covered interactions in both directions. However, *now* the cheating menu *does* exist. If it doesn't do something like I described, then I wouldn't know why TJ introduced it at all.

Anyway, this was only my response to your question about the difference between autonomy and cheating (and then only what *I* think the difference might be), not an attempt to explain why your game is acting up. Because I actually don't know anything about that. I wish I did!

Offline doren

• Whining Whelp
    • Sim Stories
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2010, 04:46:34 PM »
I don't know. It is like the settings are reversed. Hal was giving me problems again; I don't know what's up with him.

I had to make this wedding day since Victor managed to get his fiancee La Shawn pregnant again and decided to invite all their children (that's a lot of sims!). So her son Hal arrived and while Victor and La Shawn were getting ready to get married I suddenly hear falling in love sounds and see Hal and Victor's daughter Colette at the porch. I took pictures of his settings.

His One had turned to Colette when I checked but I am sure he arrived with Raissa being his One, because I was so annoyed that I left without saving and started the party again. This time I put his One to static, changed his autonomy to spouse only and made it static and made the cheating settings dynamic and then static again. I could not really check whether tying him with chains helped because I did not really give him time to cheat either.

(Had to include a picture of La Shawn here because she was such a beautiful bride.)

Offline twojeffs

• Supreme Simbologist
  • Administrator
  • Tempermental Tyke
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2010, 04:57:12 PM »
I think what's happening in at least some of these cases is that the sim's one is changing. Interactions with The One are never cheating. The One can be VERY fickle for romance sims, especially if their SO is not on the lot, but can change even if they are and someone they think is hotter strolls by. :lol:

ETA: That said, I'll dig through these scenarios a little later to see if I can find an issue.
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Offline doren

• Whining Whelp
    • Sim Stories
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2010, 11:55:23 PM »
Well, when I checked Hal his One had indeed changed to Colette Aspir, but I don't know at which point it changed.
I did not know that interactions with the One did not count as cheating. Is there are way then to tie sims to committed relationships without making the One static (which I would rather not do since I use it to check their loyalty)?
The issue in my case might be related to attraction in general. It could be due to a change from one EP to another (I have everything except the happy holiday christmas pack) or Tuna's attraction fix (which I also do not want to remove) but I noticed for some time that attraction can vary wildly. When you sorted sims by lightning bolts, the list used to be more or less constant but I now see it very often that when I enter the house that a sim who is in a committed relationship gets a massive drop in attraction for their partner, especially when one of them is asleep at the time.

For example: Isaac Bell has a high attraction score with his wife Hannah (counting romance aspiration benefit, with romance being the secondary aspiration) but often she drops to a place below Sharon (who Isaac is much less attracted to) when I enter the house and it only moves to its "proper" place (being third or fourth on his list) once they interacted with each other. I tried to work out whether some aspects (certain turn-ons, either skill-related or connected to appearance) which determine attraction are not counted when the sim is not "present" (might be asleep) but I don't understand the changes in the list.

I must say that I would prefer it if cheating was solely connected to committed relationships. As you said, romance sims can be very fickle and I thought the main point of this setting was to make them clench their teeth and get over it, even if they do see someone they are more attracted to and think they love more at the time. That's the price for making a promise. If I do not want them to do that I don't have to set them to no cheating.

I still don't understand the rejections I get though. Could it be related to Chris Hatch's bouquet/napkin controllers (which are working different from before too)? I intended to change the load order to make ACR load last but I may have made a mistake with the way I subfoldered.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2010, 02:48:07 AM »
Dunno about the rest, but the lightning bolts definitely got changed a lot with FT - I have a number of sims who have two bolts while one is not on the lot, and the moment that sim arrives back, or is invited over, booty-called, etc., and the number is back to three.... I have others who should have three, but don't any more. 

Offline miros1

• Face Collector
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Face Collector
    • The Wooden Simolean
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2010, 02:01:26 PM »
Oh, great!  Flaky lightning bolt calculations!

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2010, 03:07:40 PM »
I know, crazy isn't it - my one is here, so we have three bolts, my one is not here, so we only have two!  A clear case of absence not making the heart grow fonder!

Offline doren

• Whining Whelp
    • Sim Stories
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2010, 03:55:39 PM »
That the change happened with Freetime sounds right time-wise.

Just as ultimately it would not matter to set the One to static, it does not really matter how a sim is doing in the chemistry ranking, but those little details are important to me. I want to see how they choose for themselves and although I do control my sims I don't like to force certain aspects. I can't explain it, but in a way it feels like cheating. If I set the One to a certain sim I know that it is not the "real" one. 

Offline Zirconia Wolf

• Queen of the Cross-Post
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Reticulated MoonBat Queen
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2010, 04:26:35 PM »
That's because you are a benevolent Sim Goddess who wants her pixel-people to have what they want, rather than trying to force them to *obey* rules you decided on...

...which is in stark contrast to my evil self who gets a strange sense of twisted joy from my iron-fisted reign!

Well, okay I'm not a total jerk (I think I'm the only player on the planet who doesn't have it in for poor old Mortimer Goth!) but I still have palpitations when I think about leaving my Sim's romantic choices entirely up to them....and yet ACR sits quietly on my desktop, watching & waiting for me to finally take *the leap*, even if it's only to prove to myself that the sun will in fact still manage to come up in the morning even though Sim A and Sim B just did it in a photo-both without my express permission!

< shudder...and that's another post to my credit >
~ Long Live All Wild Canines! ~
~ Sims 1 & 2 Forever! Sims 3 or 4? Never!! ~
~ Queen Of The Great InTeen Moon-Bat Revolution ~

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2010, 04:47:35 PM »
You know, if you try it out and don't like it, your sims will be none the wiser if you take it out again!

Offline Zirconia Wolf

• Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2010, 04:57:06 PM »
True, true...it's just that initial *leap* I keep putting off!

(It's nice that Sims don't *remember* some of the things we players try out on them, isn't it?)

Offline doren

• Whining Whelp
    • Sim Stories
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2010, 01:50:20 PM »
That's because you are a benevolent Sim Goddess who wants her pixel-people to have what they want, rather than trying to force them to *obey* rules you decided on...

...which is in stark contrast to my evil self who gets a strange sense of twisted joy from my iron-fisted reign!

I am definitely benevolent but as this thread shows I am strict on certain matters and every so often I have a clear idea what my sims have to do and I don't like it at all if they don't. Maybe it is a romantic hangup on my part, but some "perfect" couples are not allowed to cheat.

Anyway, I was able to experiment last night. I was playing the house which already gave me trouble when I tried the previous ACR 5 version. Two brothers, Tom and Taz, two women, Meadow and Lyndsay, various children. Taz goes steady with Meadow and Lyndsay, I think Tom goes steady with Lyndsay. They both had the hots for Lyndsay. Both women have the hots for Taz.

In the house, as with the other version, Taz rejected Meadow repeatedly. To stop the drama I had him approach her, which worked.  I set the lot to no jealousy, which had no effect.
Then they went out and after watching this for a while I had enough and removed the go-steady flags with the Blender.
Before, Taz began to flirt with another woman and first it surprised me, but then he rejected Lyndsay, so I checked and his One was the other woman. After I removed the flags he continued with his rejections until I realised that he was still going steady with another woman, so I summoned her to the lot and removed the go-steady flag too.
From then on everything was fine and he did not care anymore whether it was his current One or any other flirting with him.

From what I see (with Inteen in and loading after ACR) go-steady (and engagement?) translates into no cheating allowed, but - strangely - this only seems to apply if nothing is set with regard to cheating (and/or autonomy). And it doesn't matter who they are going steady with, they only accept the One.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2010, 01:59:50 PM »
Odd, I had teens going steady who went off to college and cheated all over the campus!

Offline doren

• Whining Whelp
    • Sim Stories
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2010, 02:03:16 PM »
They don't have a problem cheating if their current One is the person they cheat with.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2010, 07:42:34 PM »
I thought it had more to do with who is initiating the cheating....

Offline Zirconia Wolf

• Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2010, 08:36:25 PM »
Quote from: doren (snip)
I am definitely benevolent but as this thread shows I am strict on certain matters and every so often I have a clear idea what my sims have to do and I don't like it at all if they don't. Maybe it is a romantic hangup on my part, but some "perfect" couples are not allowed to cheat.

I'm exactly the same when it comes to such things. Once I make the determination that a given relationship is *the real thing*, then no Sim (or even my own evil angel) shall ever tear it asunder. Of course the opposite also holds true in that there are some Sims that have I deemed to be non-monogamous, & if such Sims ever marry it's either short lived or to a really dumb (or equally horny) spouse!

Quote from: doren (snip)
From what I see (with Inteen in and loading after ACR) go-steady (and engagement?) translates into no cheating allowed, but - strangely - this only seems to apply if nothing is set with regard to cheating (and/or autonomy). And it doesn't matter who they are going steady with, they only accept the One.

Good to know for when I finally install ACR. I want to make sure I can control the settings in a way I am comfortable with!

Offline doren

• Whining Whelp
    • Sim Stories
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2010, 11:29:14 PM »
I thought it had more to do with who is initiating the cheating....

That too.

HaunterMooneyes

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2011, 01:27:59 PM »
Resurrecting this thread (sorry) to say that since downloading version 5b, I'm having a very similar problem.  Married, Engaged, and Going Steady Sims with Autonomy set to 5, Jealousy set to Crush or Love, and All Cheating Interactions Allowed are rejecting all advances made by Sims that they are not committed to--even when their STR/LTR is 100/100.

Example: Liir is Going Steady with Felicia, but also has a thing on the side with Maya.  His relationships with both girls are maxed.  Previously, with the original ACR, he happily delivered Booty Calls to Maya whenever she liked.  Now, with 5b, if Maya calls him over and tries to perform any Casual interactions, he turns her down.  Note that if I check Casual...Will I Woohoo?, he says "Sure! Where's the bed?", so the game isn't flagging that he should reject her.

Similarly, another character with two wives (yes, I know) constantly rejects the advances of his first wife in favor of his second, even though cheating is allowed and his autonomy is high.  In contrast to Liir, however, his lot is set to No Jealousy.

It didn't look like the issue was resolved when I read through this thread, so if there's a fix and I'm missing it, let me know! Thanks!

Offline arathea

• Tempermental Tyke
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2011, 01:47:59 PM »
Arathea's Area@TFM's Naughty Sims Asylum

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2011, 01:52:13 PM »
I think that maybe TJ could update the top post in that thread to also include a link to the fix. That way it would be much easier for people to find ;)

BTW: 2000 downloads for just one version of ACR! Impressive!

HaunterMooneyes

« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2011, 05:55:57 PM »
Thank you!  :cheese: Once I have access to Sims again, I'll install that and see if it helps.

Offline grammapat

• Highchair Hipster
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2011, 09:06:15 PM »
I assume TwoJeffs is still working on this, as his last post was 11-12-10, where he linked to what LOOKS like another version, called only "ACR - 5b cheat test.zip".   Arethea's link to a "fix" is not to this version, but to the page where it is.  I have gone through the posts, and am confused (version 2.beta 4.a? 2beta 5.b?), but  :blink: think the one he posted 11-12 is the best/latest available at this time...?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 09:11:49 PM by grammapat »
Life is mostly froth & bubble; two things stand alone. Kindness for another's trouble, courage in your own.

Offline Sleepycat

• Resident Hairball
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • meow!
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2011, 10:36:52 PM »
ACR - 5b cheat test.zip is the fixed file for version 2.5b and arathea's link took me right to the correct post by twojeffs (Reply #284 on: November 13, 2010, 07:33:59 PM).

TFM's Naughty Sims Asylum - home of my Sim stuff - SC4 Terrains, Sims, Hairy Skintones, Hoods and some clothes & stuff.

Offline grammapat

• Highchair Hipster
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2011, 12:19:58 PM »
Thanks; installed. As to the link, guess I am called "babbling" for a reason...
Life is mostly froth & bubble; two things stand alone. Kindness for another's trouble, courage in your own.

Offline Sleepycat

• Resident Hairball
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • meow!
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2011, 03:42:11 PM »

:giggle:
TFM's Naughty Sims Asylum - home of my Sim stuff - SC4 Terrains, Sims, Hairy Skintones, Hoods and some clothes & stuff.

Offline twojeffs

• Supreme Simbologist
  • Administrator
  • Tempermental Tyke
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2011, 09:40:31 PM »
Hrm, I'd totally forgotten that I'd never done a proper release for the fix. Oops. :blush:
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Offline Sleepycat

• Resident Hairball
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • meow!
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2011, 03:46:02 AM »
 :giggle: