Author Topic: Questions (and Answers) about BO's mods  (Read 249869 times)

Offline Zirconia Wolf

• Queen of the Cross-Post
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Reticulated MoonBat Queen
Re: BoilingOil's tiny first steps into modding...
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2010, 06:34:19 AM »
What I was actually trying to do, is just making it possible for every Sim to *plan* all their clothing categories -including maternity outfits-, regardless of their current 'position'...That part didn't function the way it should, unless the player also used the 'preg-wear-any' mod.

So for peeps like me who have the preg-wear-any mod, your mod will let us plan out a maternity outfit before a Sim is knocked up with child?

If yes, I dearly want it!

(Love your aspiration-point-can-buy-career-rewards mod! Finally something I might actually use those stupid points for!)
~ Long Live All Wild Canines! ~
~ Sims 1 & 2 Forever! Sims 3 or 4? Never!! ~
~ Queen Of The Great InTeen Moon-Bat Revolution ~

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • We'll jump off that bridge when we come to it.
    • Leefish
« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2010, 06:47:00 AM »
Yes, ZW, that's what I made it for, after all. X) And since you *do* have the preg-wear-any mod, your sims might actually *wear* the selected outfit as well. I say might because it seemed to work for some here, but I haven't confirmed it for myself yet.

Here's a mediafire link to get the incomplete version, that works only with AL and the preg-wear-any mod installed.

Link is no longer valid... new version 1.2 available from the top post ;)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 04:08:13 PM by BoilingOil »

"BO, Sir, you rock! :bow:" - TheISZ                           (banner design: eefje00704/Eva)

Offline Zirconia Wolf

• Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2010, 06:56:54 AM »
Oh very cool!

*snags*

You know, the sad part is I can see absolutely no reason why such a planing (and buying) option was not included by Maxis in the first place. Then again, these are the same idiots who belive that it's perfectly normal to leave infants laying on the ground, so I shouldn't be surprised, eh?

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2010, 07:05:52 AM »
In fact, those were the same thoughts that made me make this mod ;)

"BO, Sir, you rock! :bow:" - TheISZ                           (banner design: eefje00704/Eva)

Offline doren

• Whining Whelp
    • Sim Stories
« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2010, 05:40:53 AM »
Unless I clicked on the wrong menu of the wrong sim repeatedly without noticing - and I don't think that I did - one of my sims - Linda - just decided to unlock a career reward on her own. Education. I love her; what a clever little woman she is.

Okay, so she did this and the aspiration points were deducted, but the career reward was still locked. It's no big deal; she paid for it, I can/will unlock it with the Blender for her. But I guess it is not supposed to work like that?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 06:00:51 AM by doren »

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2010, 08:14:48 PM »
You're right, Doren: the 'magical' options are NOT supposed to be autonomous, so Linda should not have done that by herself, as far as I can tell.
I'll look into it some more, though. Maybe I should make sure these options don't even show up, when a sim is autonomous.

But even if she *did* autonomously attempt to unlock a reward, then it's still a mystery how points could be deducted without actually unlocking the item. The unlock instruction directly follows the one for deducting the points. No more testing or decision making is needed at that point in the code... It's rather straight forward, so it should always work.

Anyway, I'll look into this.

Edit to add: I've updated the mod (both versions) to make *absolutely sure* that sims can *not* autonomously use the new options. They can be re-downloaded from the links at the top of this thread.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 10:25:37 PM by BoilingOil »

Offline doren

• Whining Whelp
    • Sim Stories
« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2010, 11:58:32 PM »
BO, I think you should keep up the other versions too, because although I guessed it was not what you intended I really liked it that Linda made her own choice. Usually I only get a few items, like smart milk, for the aspiration points so my sims have enough of them to spend on their own.

My guess is that Linda acting autonomously is also the reason why the unlocking procedure did not work. She and her new husband/old bf are very much in love and the (probably attraction marker triggered) bathroom activities were in full force. Shortly before her husband got up from the toilet, walked into the other bathroom and used the toilet there. Twice. Why? Because Linda was in the bathroom.
And I believe that she only used the mirror/medicine cabinet later (to unlock the reward) because her husband was brushing his teeth there at the time. The unlocking process went through though. I watched her standing by the side of the mirror and making the gestures as if she practised charisma. Her husband was still there too, staring at her affectionately, as usual.
My sims have surprised me on more than one occasion doing things which was "not in their programming". Like when one of them chose to apologise to several of her housemates repeatedly. I was annoyed with her at the time and was thinking about kicking her out, but none of them was furious or had a bad relationship with her. I still don't know how she did it.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2010, 07:24:28 AM »
Actually, for Linda to unlock an item autonomously, it should have looked like she was gussying up.:) That would also be true for the want slots/locks, by the way. Could you check if she has a spare want lock that you didn't know about, please?

You know... I still have the old version, and putting it back up is just a few clicks away. However, you've shown a weakness which makes it unstable: It not only appears to work autonomously (which it should not), but it also scams players out of Asp.points in a way that I don't understand how it's possible. If this happened to me, I'd blame the author, for sure! :halo: Especially if they don't know how to fix the 'deduct points but don't unlock anything' issue. :rolleyes:

Oh heck... I'll just put them back up with a warning of Highly unstable! Use at your own risk!, because I like how Sims sometimes seem to do things that are not supposed to be possible. Especially if they surprise you in the ways that you describe.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 07:33:44 AM by BoilingOil »

Offline doren

• Whining Whelp
    • Sim Stories
« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2010, 07:41:35 AM »
I can't check for the want locks because I have given them freely in this neighbourhood. I have a picture of Linda at the mirror though and I guess it was gussying up then:

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2010, 07:48:37 AM »
That pose would indeed seem to suggest that she either indeed tried to unlock something, or was actually just gussying up. :cheese:
Pity you can't check the slots/locks status...

Offline doren

• Whining Whelp
    • Sim Stories
« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2010, 08:08:32 AM »
No, but I had the icon in the upper left corner of the screen which said "Unlock Reward Education" and not "gussy up".

I thought that she might have tried to unlock the reward for AHs limited careers but they don't include the education career.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2010, 08:17:05 AM »
Ah! You never mentioned having checked her queue, before! Thank you for clarifying that point :thumb: (maybe I'm thick... you *did* mention she tried to unlock the education reward... how else would you have known that? Forgive me, please!)
I always use Monique's Family Aspiration mod to store all the points accumulated by any family members... They hardly ever have more than 10k on their own counters, so I won't ever see them autonomously do that.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 08:22:09 AM by BoilingOil »

Offline doren

• Whining Whelp
    • Sim Stories
« Reply #62 on: February 09, 2010, 01:14:52 PM »
Just a quick update: I finally had the chance to try this again last night (with a teenager, should it work for them?). This time I sent her to the mirror and everything was working as intended with the exception that the reward was not unlocked.
Wondering whether this could be due to AH's limited careers I tried what happened if she unlocked a reward for the limited careers (and whether there was just a mix-up in the menu). But she still did not get it.

There are no adults on the lot at the moment so she does not have the option to unlock a reward with the blender (Linda got her bookcase in the meantime :smile:).

I haven't tried to add another want slot yet; I may try it tonight.

I ran a conflict check just now and as I expected it did not show anything related to your mod. I am nevertheless convinced that it is not your mod itself but something interfering with it why this isn't working. The lack of conflicts only makes it harder to track it down.

My suspects are two mods from this one site I posted about since they are global mods and I had to take out another one from there because it interfered with so many things. ChristianLuv's clothing rack, maybe, because it does have a loose connection with mirrors.

I will keep it in any case for the function to pay with the aspiration points but it would of course be much more convenient if I would get the unlock part to work as well.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #63 on: February 09, 2010, 02:00:26 PM »
Hehe, the Blender not unlocking Rewards for Teens was also one of the motivations for me making this mod... :) I've had several Teens and Young Adults use the mirror for unlocking rewards, and found no trouble at all... Then again: I'm not using AH's limited careers...

You're right, Doren; without any conflicts reported by HCDU, it *will* be a pita to find out what's going on. It really sounds like some mod (AH's limited careers sure *seems* like a probable candidate) might be prohibiting the career rewards from being unlocked. However, the Blender seems to work for you, and it uses the same method as my mirror (a call to a primitive that does the hard work). So why would the Blender not be stopped?

I'm going to DL and examine AH's mod soon, as well as the clothing rack you mentioned, and see if either of them is the culprit indeed. I have little hope that it helps, but I wouldn't know where else to look atm, and I want it to work correctly for you as well!

ETA: I've looked at one of AH's limited career hacks (Athletic), and didn't see anything that would be related to rewards. However, I *did* notice in the description on his post, that there are no rewards included in these careers, *and* that it would be possible for the limited *and* unlimited careers to both show up. That gets me guessing that it's possible for you to select the reward for a limited career (which doesn't have one), and therefor end up with none at all.
Also, I noticed that his hacks only cover the base game careers. But that would suggest that non-basegame rewards *should* be available to you normally. Hairy stuff...

ETA2: I have looked at Christianlov's clothing rack too, now, and have no idea how that item would be able to interfere with a global mod that only changes mirrors. True, the rack has some mirror-based functions, but it still uses the *clothingrack* semi-globals.

I don't like it any more than I expect you will, Doren, but I think the only way to solve it now, would be for you to do a hack dance, to see if you can identify which of the mods you use is blocking my mod from working. Then, I could go look at *that* specific selection to find out how to work around it. Other than that, I see no viable options at the moment... :cry:
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 05:33:32 PM by BoilingOil »

Offline doren

• Whining Whelp
    • Sim Stories
« Reply #64 on: February 10, 2010, 11:08:42 AM »
I will have a go at it on the weekend when I have the time to reload my game several times. Tonight I have to see what Elizabeth Aspir is doing in her new home.

I only took one of the "suspect" mods out and moved yours, so that it loads last.

Edit: Sorry, I have to gloat a little. My intuition with regard to the Sims has always been quite good and at the moment I am rather proud of myself.
Whether it was the mod (this is what I think) or the load order but everything is working now. It's a pity but while some of the mods from "Mel" were really good ideas, they don't seem to be very well made. I attach the file I took out since it may be of interest to you to check it.

Edit again: I tried both options, adding a want slot and unlocking a reward.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 03:26:31 PM by doren »

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #65 on: February 11, 2010, 06:36:13 AM »
:bow: Gloat all you want, Doren! :cele1: Congrats on finding the culprit. I'm glad everything work as advertised for you as well now! :yay:

I've recently DL-ed a few of Mel's mods, but did not put them in the game yet. Now I'll be extra cautious where these are concerned. And I'll see what's going on in the one you attached, and see if there's a way around the conflict (if any). Well done!!!

ETA: Having glanced at the CarOptionsGlobal (not a very thorough investigation yet), I have a hard time believing this is the problem file. So maybe it's a load-order issue after all. I'll include that in the description for now. Thanks for the heads-up, Doren!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 07:05:56 AM by BoilingOil »

Offline doren

• Whining Whelp
    • Sim Stories
« Reply #66 on: February 14, 2010, 08:13:54 AM »
I am beginning to feel like your personal investigator regarding this mod but I am getting errors when my sims change appearance on the mirror. I attach the error log which I have translated for myself into something I can understand:

The error is unknown transition and from what I observe together with the fact that I don't get the error when I change appearance via the blender I think that after the change it should move on to the next event which is that the sim shows a reaction to the new look but that doesn't happen and results in the error.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #67 on: February 14, 2010, 09:04:24 AM »
I have to say, Doren, at least you're the person running into the most issues with it. Thanks for continuing to report what you find. :thumb:

I seem unable to reproduce that error, though. And since I haven't touched any of the mirror's existing BHAV's, I don't understand how my mod *could* be responsible for this issue. I *will* investigate further, however, because it's still possible that I screwed something up unintentionally and unknowingly, and I *do* want it to work flawlessly for *everyone*. I'll get back to you about this.

ETA: From what I find, it seems that Elizabeth was using a custom mirror. Is that true? And if so, could you provide me with a link to that download, or send me a copy? I'd like to eliminate that one as the source of the problem, or use it as a scape goat otherwise :cheese:.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 10:02:28 AM by BoilingOil »

Offline doren

• Whining Whelp
    • Sim Stories
« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2010, 01:26:39 PM »
She used the romantic mirror from the Kitchen & Bath stuff pack.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #69 on: April 24, 2010, 09:39:47 AM »
Added a set of mods to allow for only 10% Alien pregnancy among abductees! Please make sure these load after any other Alien abduction mods...

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Superannuated Coffeeholic
    • Zephyr Zodiac @ 4-Shared
« Reply #70 on: April 24, 2010, 09:44:07 AM »
Thank you, BO! What a nice birthday present.  :smile:

I'll put it into my game and let you know how it works with FT and no AL.  :thumb:
"All the world's a Neighbourhood, and all the men and women merely Sims."  ZephyrZodiac with apologies to Willie Waggledagger.

http://www.4shared.com/u/yCrnLoEP/Zephyr_Zodiac.html

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #71 on: April 24, 2010, 09:47:49 AM »
You're welcome, dear! Happy birthday!

Offline Zirconia Wolf

• Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #72 on: April 24, 2010, 11:52:21 AM »
Neat!

*snags shinny thing even though it's not my birthday*

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #73 on: April 24, 2010, 12:06:40 PM »
Enjoy, ZW. With this one, you could even throw away the original 'equal opportunity' mod, if you're sure you'll never go back to to 'always risk alien pregnancy' mode. :)

Offline Zirconia Wolf

• Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #74 on: April 24, 2010, 12:21:41 PM »
Oh I'm sure!

I really prefer variety in my game and as much as I enjoy the possibility of Alien pregnancies, the more I grew tired of them being a *given*. This will also make Alien babies more of a unique thing- rather than common place- which seems to make more sense to me.

Offline arathea

• Tempermental Tyke
« Reply #75 on: April 24, 2010, 12:26:57 PM »
*grab*

Thanks, now my sims will definitely do more star-gazing! :cheese:
Arathea's Area@TFM's Naughty Sims Asylum

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #76 on: April 24, 2010, 02:20:17 PM »
(Alien Experiments v1.1 announcement deleted, since v1.5 is now up)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 08:36:57 AM by BoilingOil »

Offline Zirconia Wolf

• Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #77 on: April 24, 2010, 03:43:27 PM »
*snags new toy*

Thankyouthankyouthankyou!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:bow:

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #78 on: April 25, 2010, 07:03:04 AM »
Enjoy, ZW. And let me know if there's anything you need clarification on (although I doubt that will be necessary :P).

On a side note: It's interesting how, from modding one aspect of the game, you may get insight in some related ones, and the mods pertaining to them.
For example, I found out that Alien Pregnancies have a better chance of occuring once you install a multi-PT package. The reason is simple: a check is made to see if the abductee has an Alien Dad by checking if the PT handling this case is one of the parents of your sim. If the abductee is itself the result of Anal Probing, then without multi-PT, you can be sure that the PT is their father! Since that would constitute Anal Incest, the impregnation does not commence! However, with the multi-PT package, the PT handling your sim might be a different Alien. Suddenly it's no longer incest, and the Probing continues unimpeded!

So, sims that would not have been impregnated with only ONE PT, now suddenly run the same risks as others. And, of course, the more PTs your game allows for, the better the chance for your Sim to be handled :P

By the way: in case anyone wonders about that... my abduction mods do NOT interfere in this selection process ;)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 07:06:44 AM by BoilingOil »

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #79 on: April 25, 2010, 07:11:16 AM »
I had a half-alien sim who got abducted and got pregnant, then as soon as he landed, he looked through the telescope again and got abducted and pregnant again.... (yes, chimes each time he landed)... of course, I was using an *always abduct* hack at the time!
"All the world's a Neighbourhood, and all the men and women merely Sims."  ZephyrZodiac with apologies to Willie Waggledagger.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #80 on: April 25, 2010, 07:18:50 AM »
Interesting!

But that mod must have altered the process on a level that I haven't visited yet, because by the time we get to the BHAV that I altered (Go Out - Make Pregnant) , it has already been determined that the abductee is NOT pregnant. With pregnant Sims, the 'Go Out - Make Pregnant' BHAV would normally never be called, unless the 'Always Abduct' mod interfered even BEFORE that.

On the other hand, this may also have been the effect of sloppy EAxis code... Like, after throwing out the Sim, they just ring the chimes if they're pregnant, regardless of when that happened.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 07:21:03 AM by BoilingOil »

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #81 on: April 25, 2010, 07:24:31 AM »
Oh, he had twins.... I think it may well have been the mod I was using interfered with the Maxis safeguards, or maybe the safeguards weren't so good back then?  Judging by some of the back history of the Curious family, maybe they needed there to be no safeguards, and only put them in later?

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #82 on: April 25, 2010, 07:39:32 AM »
The 'Curious' family you say... You don't mean the fact that PT#9 married his daughters' (Lola and Chloe Singles) older sister Jenny Smith (born Curious) and had kids with her, as well as with her father, right? Because I don't think that one crossed the incest line. It's still icky that they allowed him to marry a sibling of his own kids, of course... They stretched that safeguard, for sure!

Of course, with EAxis one could never be sure... You could still very well be hitting the nail right on its head, ZZ.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #83 on: April 25, 2010, 07:41:59 AM »
Further back..... and yes, while I agree a step-sibling wouldn't count as incest, I would draw the line at a half-sibling!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 07:43:47 AM by zephyrzodiac »

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #84 on: April 25, 2010, 08:06:04 AM »
That would be further back than the TS2 history shows? Because in the generations that I can view from within the game (I had to look, before writing this), there's nothing else icky going on. If I missed something, I would require you to enlighten me ;)

Anyway, the incest check doesn't go further than the direct parents of an abducted sim, even now. The PT can very well be the grandparent of the 'victim' and still probe them. So if there's more going on that I don't know about... EAxis didn't change any of its own rules in this case.

(Woah, crossing the 2000 posts line here...)

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #85 on: April 25, 2010, 08:20:09 AM »
It's just that the whole family line is very muddled, you can tell when you look in the Relationships panel.  Maybe Maxis could tell who fathered who, but I sure as hell found it hard to tell who was actually the sibling of who....(whom?)..... as for Olive and the GR!  There again, they did call it Strangetown.

Offline Zirconia Wolf

• Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #86 on: April 25, 2010, 08:50:31 AM »
I must be really odd then (no surprise there!) because finding all the *hidden* stuff in the memories/family ties/etc is one of my biggest kicks in TS2!

Then again, I'm the doof who's got printable (Word) family trees for each & every playable Sim...so I'm thinking my idea of *kicks* is again, not right in the head.... :P

Anyway, thanks again BO for this mod! It will really be fun to have more of a *surprise* factor back in the game!

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #87 on: April 25, 2010, 08:59:10 AM »
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: if you are not right in the head, then what am I supposed to be? I don't even claim to be a Wolf! :cheese: In fact, if there's that much information to keep about your families, I'd even be unable to keep useful records. So I must applaud you!

About the mod... nah, just wait for it... :halo:

Offline Zirconia Wolf

• Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #88 on: April 25, 2010, 09:09:21 AM »
...About the mod... nah, just wait for it... :halo:

*ears perk up & tail begins to twitch*

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #89 on: April 25, 2010, 09:11:13 AM »
In fact, if there's that much information to keep about your families, I'd even be unable to keep useful records. So I must applaud you!

I agree.  I simply can't be bothered with all that - and in a large hood like my present one, sorting out the connections between one family and another is beginning to be quite a jigsaw puzzle already!

Offline miros1

• Face Collector
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Face Collector
    • The Wooden Simolean
« Reply #90 on: April 25, 2010, 01:29:22 PM »
Ok, I'm dense today.  Where do I get BoilingOil's "new, configurable, version of the Alien Abduction mod"?

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #91 on: April 25, 2010, 01:33:43 PM »
You'd go to the first post in this thread, and look for the last link, miros.

But I'd wait just a little longer, and get the new and improved, much-easier-to-configure version that I'm going to put up very, very, VERY soon now ;)

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #92 on: April 25, 2010, 01:56:19 PM »
The 'new' version 1.2 of Alien Experiments is not that new anymore... v1.5 is now up!

Zirconia Wolf, give your ears and tail some rest, dear... It's time to chew on an even shinier toy ;)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 08:35:20 AM by BoilingOil »

Offline miros1

• Face Collector
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Face Collector
    • The Wooden Simolean
« Reply #93 on: April 25, 2010, 03:09:53 PM »
Woot!  Will try this out!

Offline Zirconia Wolf

• Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #94 on: April 26, 2010, 07:34:36 AM »
*ears & tail collapse from anticipation-exhaustion*

Oh wow!  :omg:

That is seriously awesome- and way above & beyond the call of duty, I might add!  :thumb:

Gads- now I just need to (finally) settle on the *right* percentage break-down for my game...which knowing me will take several more pieces of scratch paper & way too much over-thinking....but of curse, I wouldn't be me without my *quirks*, eh?  :P

*grabs new toy and runs off to scratch-paper strewn den*
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 08:55:28 AM by Zirconia Wolf »

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #95 on: April 26, 2010, 08:06:27 AM »
ZW, after that lovely display of K9-enthousiasm, I certainly hope I didn't make any more boo-boos... Wouldn't want to let you down *again*.

Update: actually, one of the custom configs was not set up as promised... I've added a little addendum to the top post ;)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 08:23:34 AM by BoilingOil »

Offline Zirconia Wolf

• Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #96 on: April 26, 2010, 09:04:03 AM »
Considering that my only modding attempt to date was a re-tool of another modder's (Beck's) work- which AH still had to walk me through to an embarrassing degree- I can't say any of your mods have ever *let me down* in the least.

I have no clue how people find- let alone unravel- the codes to do what they want & am fascinated by the peeps like you who manage to make sense of it all.

Anyway, it was worth the wait! Too bad Maxis didn't think of anything so cool...

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #97 on: April 26, 2010, 09:50:35 AM »
One could also say: too bad, nobody thought of this a little earlier... But then there would have been nothing for *me* to do, right? And let's be honest... I didn't think of it, either; I was gently nudged in this direction :cheese:
And without Maxis, there would not have been a TS2 to mod for, to begin with ;)

Anyway, back to business... There's quite a few Names lists (Live.package) out there, and they all boast different huge numbers. They're all different, they all contain a few duplicates, and they overlap.

I've DL-ed about 4 or 5 of them (from Jordi, CuteLilDeadGirl, HystericalParoxysm, to name but a few), combined them, sorted them, weeded out the duplicates, and then compressed them (unbelievable how many people forget to compress these huge files). I even added a few of my own, but claim no rights to the end result whatsoever... It's hardly my work!

The result: 1150 male first names, 1477 female first names, and 1844 last names (male and female list identical). That's over 2.1 mln combinations for males, and over 2.7 mln for females...

There's also a version with 1490 male and 1177 female Pet names included. Both to be obtained from the top post, as always ;)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 10:15:55 AM by BoilingOil »

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #98 on: April 26, 2010, 12:33:52 PM »
I like the sound of that, BO, and I'll definitely try it out in a hood that doesn't already have its full complement of (allowed) townies and NPCs! :thumb:

Offline Sleepycat

• Resident Hairball
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • meow!
« Reply #99 on: April 26, 2010, 05:20:00 PM »
Anyway, back to business... There's quite a few Names lists (Live.package) out there, and they all boast different huge numbers. They're all different, they all contain a few duplicates, and they overlap.

I've DL-ed about 4 or 5 of them (from Jordi, CuteLilDeadGirl, HystericalParoxysm, to name but a few), combined them, sorted them, weeded out the duplicates, and then compressed them (unbelievable how many people forget to compress these huge files). I even added a few of my own, but claim no rights to the end result whatsoever... It's hardly my work!

The result: 1150 male first names, 1477 female first names, and 1844 last names (male and female list identical). That's over 2.1 mln combinations for males, and over 2.7 mln for females...

There's also a version with 1490 male and 1177 female Pet names included. Both to be obtained from the top post, as always ;)

:prancing:

I could never find the time to do one myself so I will enjoy yours!
TFM's Naughty Sims Asylum - home of my Sim stuff - SC4 Terrains, Sims, Hairy Skintones, Hoods and some clothes & stuff.