Author Topic: Instructions for Safely Saving sims on Lots  (Read 26001 times)

Offline Sleepycat

• Resident Hairball
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • meow!
Instructions for Safely Saving sims on Lots
« on: October 07, 2009, 02:02:57 AM »
Instructions for safely saving sims on Lots, for use in other hoods:

1, Package them on their lot.
2, install them into the throw away hood using clean installer (making sure you only install the family and the lot - no one that isn't living on the lot)
3, use Simpe or Pescado's Lot debugger (ffsdebugger) to clean up their memories (or use both).
4, re-package them on their lot.
5, install in your new hood.

simpe
http://sims.ambertation.de/

clean installer
http://sims2pack.modthesims2.com/

TFM's Naughty Sims Asylum - home of my Sim stuff - SC4 Terrains, Sims, Hairy Skintones, Hoods and some clothes & stuff.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • We'll jump off that bridge when we come to it.
    • Leefish
Re: Instructions for Safely Saving sims on Lots
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 09:03:22 AM »
Yup, said that before. Works like a charm for me, even without using SimPE. :thumb:

"BO, Sir, you rock! :bow:" - TheISZ                           (banner design: eefje00704/Eva)

Offline Zirconia Wolf

• Queen of the Cross-Post
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Reticulated MoonBat Queen
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 06:47:28 AM »
SimPE is the only way to remove their *old* relationships (& memories of such) though...
~ Long Live All Wild Canines! ~
~ Sims 1 & 2 Forever! Sims 3 or 4? Never!! ~
~ Queen Of The Great InTeen Moon-Bat Revolution ~

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 04:52:42 PM »
That's only partly true: if you use the 'wipe corrupt' option on the batbox, AFTER installing your Sim in a 'hood (using Clean Installer) where NONE of their former acquaintances have counterparts, you'll be hard pressed to find any relationships that need to be cleaned up in SimPE.

Of course, this is a very specific case. But I've done it multiple times, with people whom I moved from PV to ST. And every time, I found nothing in SimPE that needed cleaning, even though each of these sims had LOTS of acquantances in PV.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 04:55:42 PM by BoilingOil »

"BO, Sir, you rock! :bow:" - TheISZ                           (banner design: eefje00704/Eva)

Offline Zirconia Wolf

• Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 04:59:25 PM »
Good to know!

That will save some SimPE time for me!

Offline floopyboo

• Babbling Baby
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 05:15:17 PM »
This worked an absolute treat for my much-loved old hood that I broke from concept by moving lots into the sim bin & then plonking them down in their new hoods. In the end I realised it would be quicker to just do the hood again from scratch with the original characters imported using your method than it was to clean up the hood using the instructions on MATY.

So far, I've got less than 100 character files & a very happy hood. Considering I had in excess of 3K in my original hood, 20 of which were playables, I'm elated. Thankyou for posting the instructions, you've rescued my favourite hood!

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Superannuated Coffeeholic
    • Zephyr Zodiac @ 4-Shared
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 05:44:40 PM »
I tend to use Wipe Corrupt as a last resort... if it's visible after I've cleaned up in SimPE, it means I've missed something.  I used it once on a new install of Pleasantview, and quite a few memories were wiped that I then had to replace - if I'd used SimPE first to correct the faulty Maxis memories, the option wouldn't have appeared.  I would now, really, just use the fact that the option appears as an indication that I need to check again to find what I've missed.

Having said that, I would say that, for families that you have created in CAS and who, to your knowledge, have all their memories intact, that using the debugger when moving them to a new hood would probably be all that's necessary to wipe all those Made Best Friends with Unknown......
"All the world's a Neighbourhood, and all the men and women merely Sims."  ZephyrZodiac with apologies to Willie Waggledagger.

http://www.4shared.com/u/yCrnLoEP/Zephyr_Zodiac.html

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 07:01:16 PM »
You're right, ZZ: "Wipe Corrupt" is a bad thing for most Maxis premades. For example: if you "Wipe Corrupt" on Don Lothario or the Caliente sisters, they loose all memories dealing with their long dead relatives. That's something you want to be careful with. Any BIG or CAS sims wouldn't suffer from that affliction.

Floopyboo: Great that it worked out so well for you. Good luck with your fresh new hood ;)

Offline Sleepycat

• Resident Hairball
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • meow!
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 05:05:59 AM »

floopyboo, your very welcome!  :cheese: I'm so glad my instructions helped you save your families.  :yay:

---

I no longer use the debugger's "wipe corrupt" feature. It tends it wipe out almost all memories from even BIG & CAS made sims (it also misses some 'unknown' memories). I usually only use it for nuking 'gossip' now because that does save a lot of clean up in simpe. 

I've noticed recently that the game likes to give sims some gossip as soon as you place them in a hood (sometimes it'll do it at random times) so I try to remember to clear gossip just before I package households. Sometimes I do it after placing them in a new hood just to be on the safe side.
TFM's Naughty Sims Asylum - home of my Sim stuff - SC4 Terrains, Sims, Hairy Skintones, Hoods and some clothes & stuff.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 05:39:46 AM »
I think the cab driver is to blame, as usual.....
"All the world's a Neighbourhood, and all the men and women merely Sims."  ZephyrZodiac with apologies to Willie Waggledagger.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 08:09:13 AM »
And of course, ACR also adds *empty* 'gossip' markers to sims, which are used as placeholders for it's settings. Those lines can be recognized by the fact they're NOT the same color as ordinary gossip in SimPE. They don't hold actual gossip data. Fortunately, those markers are *not* removed by the debugger, either ;)

Offline Naoya

• Highchair Hipster
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2010, 04:50:04 AM »
If a family doesn't know any playable sims, just NPCS, is it safe to move them without going through that whole process?

Offline miros1

• Face Collector
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Face Collector
    • The Wooden Simolean
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2010, 07:27:22 AM »
Yep, you still need to clean it up.  They'll haul fragmentary NPCs along that won't be reconciled with the (possibly same name) NPCs in the new 'hood.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2010, 08:44:12 AM »
BO, I don't think the ACR gossip should be a problem if you remove it - and personally, I prefer it doesn't relate to an *Unknown* in a new hood.... ACR will simply create new tokens for your sims.

Offline Nyxie

• Talkative Toddler
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2010, 07:19:42 PM »
You're right, ZZ: "Wipe Corrupt" is a bad thing for most Maxis premades. For example: if you "Wipe Corrupt" on Don Lothario or the Caliente sisters, they loose all memories dealing with their long dead relatives. That's something you want to be careful with. Any BIG or CAS sims wouldn't suffer from that affliction.

How bad is it, really? Just bad in the sense that there's no memories and that's a bummer, or bad as in it will make your game go asplodie?
"If a rabbit defined intelligence the way man does, then the most intelligent animal would be a rabbit, followed by the animal most willing to obey the commands of a rabbit" - Robert Brault

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2010, 07:25:56 PM »
Oh, Just that the sims have lost their memories and that's a bummer!  Shouldn't break your game, any more than getting rid of any junk files with the batbox is likely to do.  The answer is to see the option is there on the batbox, don't use it and leave your game so you can explore in SimPE to find out who has the corrupt memories.  Usually, it's a case of one sim having the memory, while the other sims who should have that memory, either don't have it at all, or if they do it's related to the original (now defunct and no character data version of their parent etc., which happens with the Brokes.   When you think you have put them right, load your game again, and load that family.  If you still get the Wipe Corrupt option, then you haven't edited something right, and need to take a further look at it.

Of course, if you don't care about these sims having their old memories, then just wipe them.

Offline Nyxie

• Talkative Toddler
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2010, 07:38:49 PM »
In a perfect world I could let my sims have their memories and be "clean" but I'm not proficient enough in simpe to fix that for them. There's much less chance of my game dying in a fiery ball if I just use the batbox.
"If a rabbit defined intelligence the way man does, then the most intelligent animal would be a rabbit, followed by the animal most willing to obey the commands of a rabbit" - Robert Brault

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2010, 08:41:29 PM »
Very true.... we all take a risk when we start changing things in SimPE - no matter how experienced one is, there's always the possibility of making an error.  That's why the back-up facility is there, staring you in the face!  (We all have to learn some time, and there are many people here who have only come to grips with SimPE a short time ago.... )

In the end, though, it's entirely your own decision - and there's always the next hood you play... in fact, there's nothing whatsoever to stop you using one of the unplayed default hoods and messing around in there to see what's what, and seeing what you would like to edit....

Offline Nyxie

• Talkative Toddler
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2010, 10:28:19 PM »
In the end, though, it's entirely your own decision - and there's always the next hood you play... in fact, there's nothing whatsoever to stop you using one of the unplayed default hoods and messing around in there to see what's what, and seeing what you would like to edit....

Oh really?  :halo:

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2010, 10:42:38 PM »
Well, if you haven't played it, then you won't do any real damage, so it would be a good place to practice.  If you ever, in the future, want to play that hood, then either .zip it up before you start, or if necessary, just generate a new set of game folders.

Of course, having done your worst, you would need to load the game and check out the results of your *meddling*.... :smile:

Offline aussieone

• Highchair Hipster
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2011, 02:38:41 AM »
Sorry to ressurect an old thread, but I've been playing Riverblossom Hills ever since I bought Seasons and I've become rather attached to the Sims that reside there. Having said that, I have been experiencing strange and unusual behaviour which leads me to believe I may have too many characters for this hood and a BFBVFS is imminent.

For example, on occasion, I have problems with Sim children reverting to toddlers bodies when I save lots and have to use the Batbox's fix age body, whichh doesn't always work the first time. I have had two disappearing babies, i.e. babies that have been born in game, never to be retrieved as though they were never born plus the had (simolean symbol) subject memory from the mother with these disappearing babies.

Anyway, I'm an absolute novice when it comes to saving sims and moving them to another neighbourhood and I'd like to do this, but having never done it before, I have absolutely no idea how to package sims on their lot. I presume it's something I do in SimPE, so can I ask for a little guidance, please?

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2011, 02:45:04 AM »
You do it from the neighborhood screen - click on the lot you want to package up and the option is there - one of the icons on the left.

Before you give the hood up for lost, though, you could try all the clean-up options on the batbox and with BO's NoSimLoaded mod (see his thread for details), make sure you have no conflicting mods that could be causing the errors you are seeing, and use the Clean Installer to check for things like duplicate meshes.

Offline Sleepycat

• Resident Hairball
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • meow!
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2011, 07:05:48 AM »
Yes, as ZZ said, you do it in the neighborhood view. When you click on a lot, there is a little thingy down in the left corner of the pop up that leads to options to rename the lot, package the lot and another option to see who they know/are related to.

*is amazed at the number of people that have never found those features*

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2011, 07:36:23 AM »
Not to mention the people that still put the whole house full of sims into the bin in order to move them to a subhood..... not good!

Offline Zirconia Wolf

• Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2011, 08:10:35 AM »
*is amazed at the number of people that have never found those features*

Very, very true...

...but I must take a moment to say that there are some (very strange & unexplainable) times when things just DON'T work like they should for some of us lucky people.

I realized I was one of the *lucky* ones when first trying to transfer the playables from Life/Pet Stories into TS2 proper, only to discover that there is no "package lot" option anywhere in my LS/PS games!

None. Zip. Nada.

The option is absolutely nowhere to be found- and trust me, I looked all over, despite knowing exactly where it was "supposed" to be! And yes, this was after the stories had all been completed! I'm not a total moron (all the time) and was following the extraction instructions to the letter...right up until I discovered that my computer is (apparently) located in the middle of some sort of freaky-ass black hole where the lines between reality & what's supposed to be are blurred for no explainable reason.

Oi! Talk about having *fun* asking for help that time! I lost count of the number of people who told me to "just package the lot with the package lot button"...arg!

Anyway I managed to (finally) find instructions for the *alternative* method for transferring lots, so between that & SimPE, I was finally able to get everyone moved. (Still trying to find a way to *save* the Castaway peeps from life in a *half-game*, though!)

Just had to put in a word for any other folks with computers located in the middle of black holes...

Offline Sleepycat

• Resident Hairball
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • meow!
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2011, 08:26:07 AM »
 :giggle:   :hug:

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2011, 08:57:54 AM »
Did you ever try reinstalling the games to see if the button mysteriously appeared?

Offline Zirconia Wolf

• Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2011, 11:49:53 AM »
Can't remember if I've ever re-installed them (it's been so long!) but I do recall letting new neighborhood folders generate, playing through again & still seeing the same thing.

I might give re-installing a try, as I want to play the "Stories" through one more time with my TS2 (default) skintones installed. It was really bugging me the way there was such an obvious discrepancy between the *before* and *after* moving pictures! Plus, I can take proper screenshots now (love you, Fraps!) and since I know what to expect as far as the *scripting* goes, I can stage the shots I want much better than the first time(s) I played.

(Still haven't managed to finish Castaways yet- the fireflies have vanished now that I *need* them - but wanna do that too someday!)

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2011, 12:00:09 PM »
Just a thought, when you first install a game (be it Sims 2 BG, EP etc.) sometimes the discs are just a little too shiny and stuff doesn't get copied properly.  Haven't seen the problem with DVDs, but I know I had to reinstall each and every CD because of problems that were not ones that were eventually dealt with in a patch - they were simply faults due to not installing correctly.

Offline aussieone

• Highchair Hipster
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2011, 05:15:14 PM »
Thanks for the tips guys. I'm going to give this a whirl and having never done this before, firstly I want to make sure I've got it completely right in my mind before I proceed.

Where Sleepycat says in point 2. install them into the throw away hood using clean installer (making sure you only install the family and the lot - no one that isn't living on the lot)

What is 'the' throw way hood exactly?

No doubt once I learn what that is, I'll have more questions about this, so thanks for your patience.

ETA; Nevermind, lightbulb moment has occured! For now at least.

Before you give the hood up for lost, though, you could try all the clean-up options on the batbox and with BO's NoSimLoaded mod (see his thread for details), make sure you have no conflicting mods that could be causing the errors you are seeing, and use the Clean Installer to check for things like duplicate meshes.
ZZ, I have been using these clean up options on this hood for as long as the hacks have been available to us as well as BO's No Sim Loaded latest version mod and using the HCDU since its release many years ago. But alas, I fear this hood is about to go up in flames and I'm not about to play it any further until I can move everybody out and start again in a fresh hood.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 05:42:21 PM by aussieone »

Offline Sleepycat

• Resident Hairball
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • meow!
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2011, 05:58:10 PM »
What is 'the' throw way hood exactly?

No doubt once I learn what that is, I'll have more questions about this, so thanks for your patience.

ETA; Nevermind, lightbulb moment has occured! For now at least.

Even though you have apparently figured it out, others may not have so - A throw away hood is just an empty hood you create for the purpose of 'doing whatever' in, which will be deleted after the work is done.  It's not meant for playing in (unless your testing some hack or something).

Offline aussieone

• Highchair Hipster
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2011, 06:04:52 PM »
Yep, I probably should have mentioned that because if anyone else is as confused as I, they would probably appreciate the information.

One more thing, using clean pack installer to install them into the throw away hood, do I just click install, then instead of letting them install to the default directory which is the Teleport folder, I install them straight into the throw away hood (e.g:N004 or whatever number it may be)?

ETA: No, I don't believe that's a good idea! LOL

I believe I should let them install to the default directory which is the teleport directory.  :blush:

« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 06:36:06 PM by aussieone »

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2011, 08:01:26 PM »
Indeed! And then, when you start your game, you'll find them in the Lots & Houses bin, from where you place the houses in your new empty hood for the clean-up :)

Offline aussieone

• Highchair Hipster
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2011, 10:34:05 PM »
So far so good, I think. Just a couple more things if I may.

When I put them down in the test hood and use the batbox (because I am nowhere near proficient enough to clean memories in SimPE), are the batbox options "memories... clear trash", "memories... clear gossip from all" and "memories"... nuke attraction markers" enough to perform on all sims on each lot to sufficiently clean memories? I think that's all of the options batbox has.

Also once I re-package them on their lot, I would then go through the whole process with the clean installer again with each lot so that the new saves are the cleaned up versions, ready to be installed into the new hood?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 11:23:15 PM by aussieone »

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2011, 01:38:50 AM »
If the option "memory.../wipe corrupt" is available on any of your sims, it might be smart to use that one, too.

Still, after all that, it would be wise to look at your sims' memories in SimPE as well, even though you don't feel very confident about it. Before you do so, it might be smart to backup the hood, so if something goes wrong you can restore it. Anyway, if you don't at some point put on your brave shoes and face the SimPE horror, you may never get comfortable with it.

But after that, yes indeed, you would re-package the lots, pull them through the Clean installer again, and then install them back into the Teleport folder so you can move them into the hood where you want your sims to live.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2011, 03:34:05 AM »
Editing memories is pretty simple, just remove anything you don't want them to have a memory of.  If, for example, you want to lower their cooking skill to zero, then remove all the memories of the foods they have learned to make, or have eaten.  If you want their dance skill to be back to the falling over stage, then you need to look in the token section and find the dance skill box and change the value.  As BO said, back up first and it shouldn't be a problem.  Or, probably simpler, package one family, install your packaged family into a throw-away hood and do the editing in that hood, then if you go wrong, just delete the hood and try again - you still have the sims2pack, after all.  Try it out with one family, and once you are confident enough you can do the rest before you package them.

Offline Sleepycat

• Resident Hairball
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • meow!
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2011, 06:07:36 AM »
I think there is a cheat that clears a sims memories totally.  :hmm:

I never use the batbox to clear trash and wipe corrupt now because it wipes out nearly everything! Including memories it doesn't need to wipe!  :dry:  I had two families 'rich in memories' and it wiped out nearly every memory they had and some family members lost them all.  I tried not to let it bother me at the time because I didn't know much about cleaning them up and stupidly trusted the batbox.  I'm still hoping to find an old copy of the hood they were first played in that still has their memories intact.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2011, 02:08:04 PM »
I think one of the updates to the batbox did that, which is why I still use the one I've been using, I think since Seasons.

Offline MaryH

• Tempermental Tyke
  • Otherwise known as Mary of H.
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2011, 03:58:09 PM »
The batbox (from what I've used it) doesn't wipe out all the memories of sims-but those that it would probably consider 'useless spam'. It does leave the ones which are important-like "fell in love with X" or "had x baby'. Those I think are the only ones that it does leave.
It has been updated for every single EP, so I'm sure his Highness has checked the memory deletion routine at least once... :wink:

Offline aussieone

• Highchair Hipster
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2011, 05:07:30 PM »
Thanks again for the information, people.

@BO: I forgot about the wipe corrupt and yes it was available on a few sims I've done so far and I used it for them.

I'm not shy about using SimPE as such as I use it for very simple tasks like changing household names and making plastic surgery genetic and such, so I'm willing to go in and do what's needed further to make things as 'clean' as possible. However, having said that and after having backed up the hood etc, what exactly am I looking for in regards to what should and what shouldn't be deleted memory wise? I guess there must be a way to recognise a corrupt memory on a Sim? Or am I looking for something else?

Offline Zirconia Wolf

• Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2011, 05:08:38 PM »
The batbox (from what I've used it) doesn't wipe out all the memories of sims-but those that it would probably consider 'useless spam'. It does leave the ones which are important-like "fell in love with X" or "had x baby'. Those I think are the only ones that it does leave.
It has been updated for every single EP, so I'm sure his Highness has checked the memory deletion routine at least once... :wink:

From what I gather/sort-of-remember, the BatBox did go through an incarnation (BV or FT?) wherein it was overly keen to nuke all sorts of memories that Pesy considered trash but most players didn't, like the childhood "skill memories," etc....

...however in an epic twist that proves that miracles do in fact occur from time to time, the self-proclaimed Mr. Awesome did something he had never done before &  not only listened to the folks who complained (instead of taking a leak on them as he usually does) but also fixed what they were upset about (instead of accusing them of having halitosis and being stupid) so that the latest BatBox is back to working like everyone wanted. (Don't know about the version of two before the last one, but the AL one has never given me any trouble at all when it comes to memories.)

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2011, 05:12:04 PM »
Me neither: I don't have any trouble with the one I'm using. Since the advent of No Sim Loaded, I don't need the Batbox often, mind you! But when I do, it works as I would hope.

Offline Zirconia Wolf

• Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2011, 05:16:13 PM »
I suspect "No Sim Loaded" will save me a lot of BatBox time too then. Yay!

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2011, 05:30:13 PM »
However, having said that and after having backed up the hood etc, what exactly am I looking for in regards to what should and what shouldn't be deleted memory wise? I guess there must be a way to recognise a corrupt memory on a Sim? Or am I looking for something else?

Well, even after a round with a Batbox, you may still find a few memories about people that have now become unknowns. You would recognized them because the "object" of the memory doesn't make sense. It isn't one of the household members! Those memories would need to go, obviously.

Some other things I will do for my sims when I move them, but which you may think differently about:
  • When they've completed college, I usually ONLY leave in the memories about entering college and about graduating. All the steps in-between - like passing exams and making the dean's list - I usually get rid of. I then also remove any memories of scholarships they earned. That part of their lives is long gone, and won't play much of a part in the new hood (to me, at least).
  • If a sim has maxed all skills, I usually also remove the memories about maxing each individual skill, only leaving the memories of having maxed all of them.
  • If a sim had already reached the top of their career, I only leave in the fact that they entered that career, and the memory of reaching the top. All promotions in-between get nuked.
  • Memories of fires, accidents and some other minor incidents may be up for deletion as well...

These are things I do to make their memories a little more compact. The less unimportant stuff you leave hanging around, the longer the new hood they'll be move into will live. But that's just *my* opinion.

The most important part is checking that first thing, though: memories that might now point to invalid sims/items. You may not find any, but it's better to check anyway!

I suspect "No Sim Loaded" will save me a lot of BatBox time too then. Yay!

Count on it, ZW! :)

Offline aussieone

• Highchair Hipster
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2011, 05:47:48 PM »
Excellent! Thanks for the explantion BO, that makes it much clearer about what to do. And thanks to everyone else who contributed their bit. I trust this thread will become a valuable source of information to anyone else who finds themselves as confused about this as I was.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2011, 06:26:36 PM »
When you remove memories of Unknowns from Neighborhood Memory, you need to also remove them from Sim Description/Relatioships - uncheck all the boxes that are ticked, return the score to 0/0 and make sure they are not related as family, then right click that Unknown's icon and remove the relationship star.  You need to use the option to look at all sims, not just one family, so these Unknown relationships will appear.  Click that *All* bar at the top again once you have removed the relationship, and that Unknown should disappear from the *Related* list.  Commit after each Unknown in the sim's relationship panel has been removed, and save when you have done them all.

Now go into Sim Relations and get rid of all those Unknown Relationships for that sim.

Offline Sleepycat

• Resident Hairball
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • meow!
« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2011, 07:22:41 PM »
I've never had to do all that.   :hmm:

Offline aussieone

• Highchair Hipster
« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2011, 07:32:04 PM »
I've never had to do all that.   :hmm:

:omg: I hope I really *don't* have to do all that!  :confused:

Thanks for the extra info ZZ, but if others have successfully pulled this off without doing the extra steps that you've posted, I may just stick to the basic steps that others have given, because as much as I love my hood, that is just too daunting a prospect and a helluva lot of work that I imagine would take me weeks to achieve.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2011, 08:27:56 PM »
In fact, there is no reason not to check relationships. Sleepycat is right in that it's hardly ever needed to change something there, but IF you encounter bad memories, the relevant unknown sims might also be in the relationship list. Usually no more than a couple though, so it wouldn't be a lot of work to get rid of them. Better safe than sorry.

Offline aussieone

• Highchair Hipster
« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2011, 09:13:51 PM »
I get your point. I was thinking it would be a mammoth amount of work, but perhaps after the batbox cleaning etc, it may be just a few here or there and yes, better to be safe than sorry.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #50 on: July 03, 2011, 10:18:43 PM »
I know that in general the relationship stuff will disappear - at least, if you delete a sim with Theo's Deleter, usually the relationship stuff in the Relationship panel does get hidden away, but often the relationships with the now Unknown sim do stay, and correspondingly remain in Sim Relations, where you may also find a load of Unknown/Unknown relationships.  I clean them up from time to time purely because it's just that much less junk in the Neighborhood.package.

Offline Zirconia Wolf

• Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2011, 10:45:15 PM »
...I clean them up from time to time purely because it's just that much less junk in the Neighborhood.package.

I do it because I'm a rather neurotic, freakish, and overly fiddly type of She-Wolf who get's off on that kind of nit-picky thing...but then my brain was never wired right in the first place, as a quick look at my posts/ramblings quickly reveal.

Offline Wolfenblu

• Talkative Toddler
« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2012, 07:37:33 PM »
You so rock Sleepy! :cheese:

Offline Sleepycat

• Resident Hairball
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • meow!
« Reply #53 on: May 28, 2012, 12:09:22 AM »
Thank you *blushes*   :love:

Offline Wolfenblu

• Talkative Toddler
« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2012, 04:24:56 PM »
Okay I have a question, I made the Santini family saved them as soon as the cab was gone, checked with clean install, no strangers I installed them in the tossaway hood, used the bat box. Then packaged them again checked them no strangers. Since they have never met anyone but the cab driver do I need to use SimPe and what exactly do I do I have never fiddled with memories.
I am doing all my families like this. Saving them before they are ever played. I know how to fix a lot of things with SimPe but I am so afraid of screwing up something. :nervous:

Edited to add I use BO's no trash memories, idk if that means anything
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 04:27:54 PM by Wolfenblu »

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2012, 05:11:25 PM »
I think you might not need to do anything, just make sure that you save the lot and family only with the Clean Installer, then install the saved sims2pack.  If when you open the sims2pack with the CI the cab driver doesn't appear, or of course, any other non-family members, you shouldn't even need to do that, just install the lot as it is.

Offline KierneM

• Mushloving Mophead
  • Robaholic since 03/20/09
« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2012, 04:57:39 AM »
Please correct me if I'm mistaken, but I think the cab driver is considered an object (part of the cab itself, IIRC); therefore, you're pretty safe from him trying to hitch a ride with the family you're saving.
All I need in life: The Sims 2, The Sims 3, great modders, and Mountain Dew!

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #57 on: July 01, 2012, 07:05:11 AM »
You're partly correct, KierneM; they ARE a sim, but they have custom code to render them all but inert. I've never found any relationships, memories or gossip on them, either. So you might say the game treats them as if they don't exist. And that's why you'll INDEED never see them hitch a ride on a packaged lot.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #58 on: July 01, 2012, 08:41:01 AM »
You do still need to check for walkbys, they are sometimes waiting off-world and therefore considered part of the lot.  It depends on how long the game takes to reach the point where you can save and exit the lot, and if you have Pets, that could be a stray and they take forever to load the first time, but they are there.

Offline Wolfenblu

• Talkative Toddler
« Reply #59 on: July 01, 2012, 12:35:20 PM »
OK great I am in good shape then. Oh I also checked with Inges cat game in pause no one was there but the family but I wasn't sure it would work for that. Thanks for all your help. :love:

Offline mark93

• Talkative Toddler
« Reply #60 on: September 16, 2013, 09:23:51 AM »
I know this is a old tread but I am hearing on other sites that this is still not safe to do.

I am having some trouble with some of Sleepycat's Sims (that I have tried) where if you use ACR some Sims who "had" relation with like "woohoo" in one hood then both of those Sims get moved over to a new hood on 2 dif. lots using this method, then the first time they see each other the first thing they try to do is woohoo with each other but they have never met in the new hood yet and as you can see one will refuse the other and get bad memory from it. So to me this means that some part of memory is keep in a dif. place that neither the batbox of SimPE can find.

It is very hard for me to explain my thoughts on this but I hope you all will understand what I am trying to say.

Offline miros1

• Face Collector
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Face Collector
    • The Wooden Simolean
« Reply #61 on: September 16, 2013, 10:08:01 AM »
Really stupid question (I was up all night): You are placing the Sims in a different neighborhood than where they were packed, aren't you?

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #62 on: September 16, 2013, 10:52:14 AM »
I'd also think it likely that the global relationships for woohoo are set low or at the default level.  I set mine to 100/100, so my sims have to really, really like each other, although three bolts will occasionally override the setting. 

Offline mark93

• Talkative Toddler
« Reply #63 on: September 16, 2013, 11:34:37 AM »
Yes miros1 it is a dif. hood. This is what I did, before I start playing the hood I package up the Sims I would like to put in a dif. hood.
Move the sim out then put sim on a empty lot then package up the lot. Put lot in a throw-away hood, fix all using the batbox and SimPE then pack up the lot again to install it in the new hood.

With out ever playing any of the Sims in the old hood or the throw-away hood and there is no way that these Sims could know each other in the new hood, the first time they see each other in the new hood at a community lot they head straight to the photo both to woohoo. (They did have relation in the first hood.)
This never happens on any other Sims but for the ones that came from Sleepycats Hoods.

Quote from: Mootilda
That isn't safe. Sleepycat found out later that all of her hoods were corrupted because she was moving occupied lots. Many of her occupied lots were also corrupted, although some of them may accidentally be safe (because there were no references to other sims). marka93, please don't suggest that as a safe method.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #64 on: September 16, 2013, 11:48:40 AM »
Well, if you have used the method with other sim families without a problem, then I would suggest that the problem lies with Sleepycat's families or lots, and is therefore not universally unsafe.

I'd suggest, though, that the time that is safest to do this is when a family has just been created in CAS and then moved into a house.  If necessary (as it was when I made the Small Family) ban all walkbys until you have made whatever adjustments you need to make, and then save the lot, with family inside.  I only ever uploaded two occupied lots, the Small Family and one other (whose name escapes me) but I don't remember anyone having the problems you mentioned.

I think, if you use the method to save a corrupted hood, maybe it's ok to save all the existing families by this method, but maybe except in an emergency, best avoided.  However, I do know that Inge saw nothing intrinsically unsafe in the method and even thought that it would be possible to put all the sims in a hood into one lot (using lotfullofsims) and save them all - provided, of course, that you are prepared to wait around three days (RT) for them to save....

Offline AncientHighway

• Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #65 on: September 16, 2013, 05:33:19 PM »
It's not uncommon for me to send a sim to a community lot, met another for the first time, and jump into the photobooth.  And with the sims coming from Sleepycat, it wouldn't surprise me if she set them up to be perfect matches for each other.  Take a look at lightning bolts and ACR's "Will I woohoo?" and you should find your reason.

Offline mark93

• Talkative Toddler
« Reply #66 on: September 16, 2013, 05:39:40 PM »
That's just it "THEY" have never met in this hood yet, I can send 1 Sim there and as soon as one that they have woohoo with in the old hood steps on to the lot they go straight to the photo both to woohoo with out having met.

This only happens with Sleepycats Sims, no other Sims do this.
No other Sims that have less that 60-70% will even try to woohoo by ACR.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 05:41:46 PM by mark93 »

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #67 on: September 16, 2013, 06:51:35 PM »
Really, Mark. I can confirm what AH says. I frequently see sims meet each other for the first time, and without introduction immediately initiate woohoo.... SUCCESFULLY! Romance sims in particular are good at this, but I've seen others do it too. If they're hard up enough, they'll shag anyone at the drop of a hat. ANY hat! And I've NEVER had any of Sleepy's sims in my hoods.

And from what I've heard around the web, especially Sleepy's sims are famous for their loose morality in that respect. Ask around at the asylum, and you'll get plenty confirmation.

But all that ONLY with ACR installed.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 06:54:30 PM by BoilingOil »

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #68 on: September 16, 2013, 06:56:33 PM »
I'd suggest you look carefully at those sims in SimPE.  Maybe somewhere there is still a check for knowing an Unknown who just happens to have the same ID as the one they woohooed with without having met them?  Also, check all Unknowns in Sim Relations to make absolutely sure that none of them is the remnant of a sim, rather than the car, the bird, etc. - check their DNA and Wants and Fears.  If they have either, or both, the likelihood is they are, as I said, the remnants of actual sims.  Use Theo's Deleter to get rid of them.

Pleasure sims are the worst for woohooing with anyone, especially when attending a party at their child's house at Uni!  (But then, Uni seems to loosen a lot of morals.....)

Offline mark93

• Talkative Toddler
« Reply #69 on: September 16, 2013, 07:42:53 PM »
I know  I cant explain it right, after what the bat box removes I go in to SimPE and remove all other memories and tokens but for the Sim Loaded token. There are no Unknown Sims any where that I can find for the bat box had removed them.

Back to the ACR part, I have never had any Sims act like what you all are saying here except for Sleepycats Sims.

This should not happen unless there is another place in the game that the info is kept were neither SimPE or the bat box knows of.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #70 on: September 17, 2013, 01:44:56 AM »
You're explaining just fine, Mark. You're merely not listening. Your experiences aren't the only ones in the world. Many other people play sims, and they have experiences which obviously are different from yours. When they tell you that ACR can change sims so they DO randomly fornicate with newly-met neighbors, there is no reason to doubt them! Believe us all: ACR does that. That's why most of us love it so much.

You remove all memories and tokens, but you leave the Token Sim Loaded in? Why would you keep that token? It serves no purpose but to slow down your game!

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #71 on: September 17, 2013, 03:38:20 AM »
I agree that ACR can act contrary to settings.  Cassandra Dreamer has just given birth to her second set of twins, so I turned on birth control.  She's 9 days off being an elder, and yet she still managed to get pregnant again!!!

BTW, I think a lot of the problem is caused by Maxis, not TJ!!!  I ended the relationship between Dustin Broke and Angela Pleasant as soon as I was about to play the Brokes, unchecked all their relationship points and dropped their friendship levels down to around zero.  No BFF memory at this point, as the game hadn't updated them for FT yet.  However, Dustin continued to get phone calls from Angela and these carried on after he went to college.  The same happened with Angela. Just as well I ended their teenage romance, not only because it was screwing up Dustin's life, but because they have negative bolts for each other!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 03:50:34 AM by zephyrzodiac »

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #72 on: September 17, 2013, 04:09:02 AM »
BTW, I think a lot of the problem is caused by Maxis, not TJ!!!

Ain't that the truth! I recently figured out how Token Sim Loaded holds up the game. I think I'll put that in the thread that led to the creation of NSL :D

Edit to add: Done :P
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 04:28:19 AM by BoilingOil »

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #73 on: September 17, 2013, 05:10:50 AM »
That makes sense to me, especially since I noticed the token didn't appear much in college lots at first, although towards the end of a student's college life, they appeared more and caused more lag.  And of course, the larger the household, the more lag!  But on top of the initial lag, there was lag all the time, sims moving jerkily, etc.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #74 on: September 17, 2013, 09:55:46 AM »
Yeah, my explanation only covers the initial lag. I have yet to figure out where the rest comes from. It's a tough one because apart from the BHAV that creates those tokens, I have yet to see another BHAV that actually accesses them. And if such BHAVs don't exist, then how the heck is that lag caused?

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #75 on: September 17, 2013, 12:26:15 PM »
Wish I knew!  The only thing I do know is that the token is created initially after the game is loaded, but at what point I never found out.  Removing the token in SimPE prevented the lag, so it would seem to me that the token just gets corrupted every time it is created.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #76 on: September 17, 2013, 01:12:39 PM »
Perhaps. We may never know for sure. And seeing as how we make them disappear nowadays, who cares how or why they are a problem, right? We've done our bit for king and country :P

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #77 on: September 17, 2013, 01:17:58 PM »
Indeed (or queen & country...)

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #78 on: September 17, 2013, 01:26:47 PM »
 :thumb:

anything