Author Topic: Help, my game is buggy? (Error log attached!)  (Read 85329 times)

Offline zumppe

• Toddling Tot
Help, my game is buggy? (Error log attached!)
« on: July 11, 2009, 08:06:42 AM »
The game has always had its weirdnesses, but recently the errors seem to be piling up... now I've had the same error message (I have testingcheats on, obviously) pop up countless times for the past few days; it says "Object error, an error occurred in object "Controller- Relationship Decay" #94, Error: too many iterations". Huh? When I click reset nothing seems to happen, everything is just like it was, nothing changes visibly at least. Any ideas?

There are other strange things like some times the sims get a whole row of "walk away" icons in the upper left corner (without any apparent reason?) and they walk around in circles, haha, or the icon just keeps flashing fast and the sim keeps twitching but doesn't do anything... and the sims keep congratulating each other on bad things, like loosing a best friend, haha! XD And making that annoying Lobster Thermidor and burning the house. XD Before it's been very rare, now the same family did that five times in one evening...
I also had to move two families because there seemed to be someone invisible stuck on the lots, there was always a "say goodbye to... name/everyone" even if there was only one guest...?!

Attraction question: my female sims can't seem to even use the bathroom in peace anymore, because all the guys follow them everywhere they go and want to congratulate or toss football or tell dirty joke or play catch or whatever, which they might even start but never have time to actually do because there are countless other guys around to interrupt instantly... sigh.

Oh and I've noticed that my permaplat sims never seem to make autonomous booty calls, is that how it is, does anybody know? (ACR is like the best invention ever, by the way!  :cheese: )

If anybody has any ideas about any of the issues, I'd be grateful...

Edit: Oh I forgot: before I patched my game (I have all EP:s and all patches), the cellphones kept disappearing... now I noticed today that the mp3 players and handheld games are disappearing from the inventories (and some sims have now like 5 to 10 handheld games when others loose their only ones... O_o )!! Now what?? I've played for a long time since I patched with no problems..?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 03:09:34 AM by zumppe »

Offline AncientHighway

• Whippy Whippersnapper
Re: Help, my game is buggy?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 08:14:21 AM »
Start by following the advice in this post.  My guess is many of your problems will go away just by doing what TJ suggests in it.  Then any problems remaining that you can't figure out, you'll be able to explain better and give us the information we'd need to help you figure it out.

Offline zumppe

• Toddling Tot
Re: Help, my game is buggy?
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 03:07:43 AM »
Thanks for answering! :) I read the post, and then I got the Hack Conflict Detection Utility, result: 0 possible conflicts detected. I also used Clean Installer, and will now get Delphy's Download Organizer to help me organize my stuff 'cause there's a boatload of it and I have no clue what's what. By the way, is there any way of knowing which download corresponds to which object ingame; I thought I'd delete everything I don't need and that hasn't shown up in my game, but I don't want to delete stuff I need (that would make many of my sims hairless or floorless etc..?! O_o ). However, I really doubt that any hairstyles or clothes or other objects would cause these errors in my game, or would they..?

These are the hacks/mods/etc I do have, does anybody know if they don't play nice together?

- ACR

- Romancemod
- noinstantlove
- noshockforoutgoing (this didn't work by the way, strange... they still keep screaming)

- marhis_pizzabox_notondesk

- Christianlov_NoPrivacyBathroom
- Christianlov_ NoPrivacyToilet

from simlogical:

- ijAirconCeiling
- ijApologizeForgiveAL
- ijBreakupAnytime
- ijNoDripSinksPatch
- ijPoolLadderPatch_BV (AL compatible)
- ijRelationshipsFT (AL compatible)
- ijTemperatureController_BV (AL compatible)
- BedSleepLateOFB (AL compatible)

Oh and then I have the Sinful Shower.  :blush:

That's it.

I haven't even downloaded anything for a while now, so I can't understand what's up.

I have read somewhere that the order in which the mods are loaded could be important? How come, and how can I make sure they load in the right order?

I've started getting the above mentioned "Relatinships Decay" error after this family moved, but how could that have any effect? Well it IS a BIG house, and I mean FREAKIN HUGE, but still..? Are the "too many iterations" a result of that or..? O_o I attached the error log here, I hope somebody is error log literate, I sure am NOT...  X)

So the main problems are now

a) the handheld games and mp3 players keep vanishing from the inventories
b) I'm getting the relationship decay error several times a day
c) my sims stop doing what they start doing immediately (this is the most disturbing part), they don't "jump" in the way they do when reset, they just stop doing whatever they're doing. For instance: one sim asks the other one to play catch. They walk out, one takes the ball out, but puts it away again and both sims get the "green pluses" over their heds like they'd had been doing it. Sometimes they might even toss the ball a few times and then quit. Same problem with pillow fight and toss football and everything like that. They start, and then drop it immediately. Mostly it seems that they stop because they get interrupted (not always though), especially the female sim that all the guys have the hots for. They keep suggesting this and that and she starts doing something with someone but then another guy wants to "congratulate" or something else, and she drops what she's doing at the time and turns to him and then the next andand.... But this happens with just the guys also, not that much though.
d) connected to the problem above: the girl of the household can't do anything now without countless "shadows", all guys (household and male guests) keep crowding the space where she's at, the bathroom if she's in the bath, they go outside after her if she goes there, they want to use exactly the same bathtub or computer or chair that she does, they have absolutely no lives of their own because they just keep tailing her, haha! The only thing that helps is that she goes into her bedroom because the door is locked so only she can enter...  X)

Before, the sims mostly didn't quit what they were doing even if somebody else wanted something. And they could pillow fight for hours. Now it's two seconds and out. And the boys actually did other things than stalked the girls, although romance HAS been a very prominent interest since ACR, hehe!  :cheese:

Could this have anything to do with the notorious attraction markers? I noticed in SimPE that most of my sims have them in their memories.

And what about the memories of the sims, they have been around for a LONG, LONG TIME and their memories in SimPE are endless. Could that cause problems? Should I nuke their memories (the "trash" like gossip etc, I've heard you can do that with the Lot Debugger, which I guess I'll have to install...)? I just don't feel very happy about deleting memories, that somehow takes away a part of the sim, what they are, can't explain but.... like someone would clean away a part of my memories? Would I still be me??  :blink:

I'd be very grateful for any input at all. :)

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Superannuated Coffeeholic
    • Zephyr Zodiac @ 4-Shared
Re: Help, my game is buggy? (Error log attached!)
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 05:33:51 AM »
Simple suggestion, try removing half your hack folder and see whether the problems go away.  If all the problems go away, you know that the problem is either an old version of one of the mods in the other half, or an incompatibility with the half that is still in your game.  Swap the halves over, if the problems are still there, you know you are looking for either out-of-date hacks in that half, or a conflict of some sort in that half.  If the problems all go away, then it's probably just two mods, one in each half, that don't play nice together.

If the problems are still there, try halving this set and see what happens.

If noshockforoutgoing is not working, then something is interfering with it, or you have the wrong version.
"All the world's a Neighbourhood, and all the men and women merely Sims."  ZephyrZodiac with apologies to Willie Waggledagger.

http://www.4shared.com/u/yCrnLoEP/Zephyr_Zodiac.html

Offline Zirconia Wolf

• Queen of the Cross-Post
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Reticulated MoonBat Queen
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 05:56:30 AM »
Quote from: zumppe
I have read somewhere that the order in which the mods are loaded could be important? How come, and how can I make sure they load in the right order?

You read right: load order is VERY important to getting certain mods to work right. The reason is the way TS2 works; it always starts with the behaviors/etc in whatever it loads last.

For instance: Mod A & Mod X do 2 different things, yet "conflict" in 1 particular area. (They both contain a copy of 1 particular Behavior/function.) If Mod A is loaded 1st & Mod X is loaded 2nd, then the game will be reading the info from X before if reads the info from A.

If the conflict is a minor one (say, they both change the name of an in-game object in a different way) then you could simply decide which one you preferred (whether you liked A or X's name change better) & set that mod up to load after the other one. Note that this is only a practical option if the 2 mods do other stuff (that doesn't conflict) too. If the only thing A does is change the name of an in-game bookcase to "Novel Display Place" & the only thing X does is change the same bookcase to "Literature Keeper Thing", then there would be no point in worrying about load order as it would just mean that one would be completely overridden by the other, so why waste you precious Download space?

Things get more complicated when you start talking about a shared menu option, behavior, etc...but again, in many cases you can still "fix" certain conflicts simply by changing which one loads last & is therefore read first by the game.

Now for the fun part: figuring out what is loading when! This is where things get complicated...but:

Normally, the game will load in alphabetical order, from "the ground up".

Let's say your Downloads folder system is labeled like this:
(the "Layer" tags are just to help show what folders are where.)

Layer 1.............Layer 2...............Layer 3

Downloads > Behavior Mods > (2) Autonomous & Townies-NPCs
               > Object Mods >   (2) Aspiration Items & Other
               > Overrides >       (2) Global & Local

Then the game will load stuff like this:

Aspiration Items, Autonomous, Global, Local, Other, Townies-NPCs, Behavior Mods, Object Mods, Overrides, Downloads

But will read/use the data like this:

Downloads, Overrides, Object Mods, Behavior Mods, Townies-NPCs, Other, Local, Global Autonomous, Aspiration Items

So if you have a conflict between something in your Global folder & something in your Overrides folder, the mod in Overrides will "trump" the mod in Global because Global (being in the "deepest" layer) is loaded before Overrides (being in a higher layer) & therefore the data from Overrides (which was loaded after Global) is being read first. This is why some modders will say not to put their mod in a subfolder. It's not necessarily that their mod won't work if subfoldered, it's just that they figure most people use lots & lots of subfolders & by telling someone to keep their mod un-foldered, they know it's loading last & therefore being read first, thereby "trumping" other similar mods the player may already have.

This all assumes of course that your computer loads folders that way! If you have an FAT32 hard drive (which you probably don't) then your folders are being loaded from "the top down".

Confusing?

Yes....until you get the hang of it.

FYI, this is why I keep all my mods on the same "layer" in my Downloads folder. This way I only have to remember the alphabetical thing, which helps me to get stuff loading in the right order quickly.

As to the rest of you problems...hopefully a smart person will be along soon!

***crossed posts (@#$%) but am NOT undoing all that typing!!***

***fixed an error in my load-thingy...I hope***

***fixed my stupid load-example yet again!***
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 07:32:38 AM by Zirconia Wolf »
~ Long Live All Wild Canines! ~
~ Sims 1 & 2 Forever! Sims 3 or 4? Never!! ~
~ Queen Of The Great InTeen Moon-Bat Revolution ~

Offline MadCat256

• Whining Whelp
  • Ami, my current problem child
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 07:47:20 AM »
Another very important thing to do is to make sure that all your mods and hacks are designed to work with the version of the game you are running. Since you have all of the EPs, all your mods need to be Apartment Life versions. Using an earlier version could easily lead to some of the problems you're seeing.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 07:50:40 AM by MadCat256 »

Offline zolabee

• Ellipsis...Queen
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Some days are just after you!
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 07:56:06 AM »
I had one tiny piece of ACR left over - *before my organizational days  :P * in a 'to be filed' folder... It caused me untold havoc... Try doing the hack dance with 25,000+ mod/cc/hacks... it's a fun time  :tongue:

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2009, 08:37:07 AM »
It's not just the switching in and out, it's the loading time each time you do it!

Also worth checking that, if you have updated bookcases for FT/AL (also fridges and trashcompactors etc.) that in those cases where the creator changes the file-name but uses the same GUID that you have, in fact, removed the older version when installing the new one.  ATS (Sandy) for example, does it this way, the new file won't just simply overwrite the old one.  You then have a GUID conflict in your game, and that can create merry hell......
"All the world's a Neighbourhood, and all the men and women merely Sims."  ZephyrZodiac with apologies to Willie Waggledagger.

Offline miros1

• Face Collector
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Face Collector
    • The Wooden Simolean
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2009, 09:06:49 AM »
If you've got icons "flickering" because they're falling out of the queue and getting stuffed back in, you can pause the game, then cancel them. 

I have this happen infrequently when using one of JMP's macro mods which forces various actions into the queue.  I've had to pause, cancel the macro icon, and resolve the problem manually before I can run the macro again.

Offline AncientHighway

• Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2009, 09:10:11 AM »
One thing I question is custom games.  You've got some for the computer and standalone.  I remember way back when people were first trying to create custom games, they created all sorts of problems.  I'm assuming that those problems were worked out, but if some of those original games were left unfixed ....  Custom careers, majors, and foods fall into that same list of questionable items, but I didn't see any of those in you error log.

Get Pescado's Lot Debugger.  You'll be able to nuke the attraction markers giving you temporary relief from the stalkers, but it is only temporary.   You can use it to delete what Pescado considers to be useless memories too.

As far as the error with the relationship decay, I have to wonder it you've deleted any sims.  It's not uncommon for players to just delete sims they didn't want around anymore.  Stick them in the sim bin and hit the trashcan icon.  So convenient, yet so wrong.  Doing something like that will permanently remove that sim in question, but those sims that still know the terminated sim will develop so many problems because of it.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2009, 10:00:19 AM »
I think, unless you are able to use SimPE to clean up stuff that has been broken by doing this kind of thing, then the best thing to do is to start over with a new set of game files and no CC, and read up on what is not safe to do in your game, and then when you do start to add CC, take it slowly and carefully, and keep back-ups so that if things do go badly wrong, you don't need to start again right from the beginning.

If, on the other hand, you want to clean up your existing hood, then there are many excellent tutorials around to teach you how to use SimPE to do this.

Offline zumppe

• Toddling Tot
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2009, 10:10:45 AM »
Wow, thanks for all the answers! :)

My hacks/mods should all be AL compatible, since I've downloaded them all after I installed all EP:s, and was very careful choosing them. They are also all downloaded within a few months so they _should_ be up to date...

About deleting sims: I've never done that, have found no reason to (I mean binning them and hitting the trashcan); the only thing I _have_ done though is that I've been forced to hit "delete" on Denise Jacquet on community lots since she keeps throwing errors where ever she turns up, and reset won't help. That type of delete shouldn't be permanent though (it obviously isn't since she keeps turning up, ha ha)? I have no idea what to do with her, obviously there's something wrong but...

I just noticed when playing that the handheld games and mp3 players have vanished again... or some of the sims have 3 to 10 handheld games, and others have lost their only ones... O_o Sigh. It's just like before I patched my game (although now the cellphones haven't disappeared, YET). Should I try to patch again or..?

I got the lot debugger, now I just have to figure out how to use it, ha ha!  X)

Custom games? Do I have custom games?  :blink: :unsure: At least none that I know of...? I don't have custom careers, majors or foods either. The only things I've downloaded are hairs, make up, some clothes, houses and furniture/floors/walls type of stuff. I'd really like to delete everything I don't need though cause there's a lot that doesn't show up ingame and some of it that did that I don't like anyway, but how can I know which ones I need... which are which in my downloads that is. I think I've also downloaded stuff for TS1 by mistake (from ATS)... but I don't know which ones they are either.  :confused:

Like I said, I haven't even downloaded anything for about a month now or something, so I don't understand why there are problems _now_...  :unsure:

Can't really start all over since I have two families that are EXTREMELY IMPORTANT to me, and I wouldn't even be interested in playing at all without them.  :love:   

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2009, 10:16:41 AM »
The error with Denise can be fixed by making her selectable, with either the sim blender or the teleporter cat from www.simlogical.com.  You then need to transport her dead husband to the lot.  The pop-up about him dying on another lot will occur, and Denise will weep and after that, she should stop erroring.

Offline zolabee

• Ellipsis...Queen
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Some days are just after you!
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2009, 10:17:16 AM »
Click on the Bat Box... it will give you a lot of options.  Delete all the gossip/trash memories.  Fix all the things that the thing lists to be fixed.  Those are places to start that won't blow your game up... 

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2009, 10:21:26 AM »
Trouble with the later versions of the batbox (the FFSDebugger) is that it deletes a lot more *trash* memories than I for one would like.  I still use an older, and less drastic, version.....

It won't cure Denise, her problem is that she doesn't know her husband is dead...... Once you do as I suggested, she will get the correct memory and all will be well.  Same applies to the son.  If you do it on their home lot, you don't even need to make her selectable, since she already is.

Offline Zirconia Wolf

• Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2009, 10:25:19 AM »
So that explains why my Denise doesn't throw all those errors; I have already cleaned up all that stuff in SimPE!

Agreed on the later DeBugger & it's overly-zealous memory deleting.

(I heard a rumor that the very latest AL version had been toned down a bit in that department, but haven't tested it myself.)

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2009, 10:29:21 AM »
I hope someone will let you and me know if it's stopped deleting those potty training memories.....

Same here with Denise, she never threw errors in my game as I'd also cleaned her up before playing her, but SQ had a lot of the same problems with her on community lots or as a visitor.

Offline Zirconia Wolf

• Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2009, 10:35:15 AM »
I will be testing the latest DeBugger (along with yet another of my stupid toddler-gate attempts) either later today or sometime tomorrow, so I will let you know what all it nukes.

Doing "family stuff" today though, so....

Offline AncientHighway

• Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2009, 11:02:43 AM »
Custom games? Do I have custom games?  :blink: :unsure: At least none that I know of...?

These entries from your error log suggest custom games:
Object Name : VideoGame - CD - NewGame04 id : 819   Room: -1
Object Name : VideoGame - CD - NewGame2 id : 240   Room: -1
Object Name : VideoGame - CD - NewGame01 id : 219   Room: -1
Object Name : VideoGame - CD - NewGame05 id : 207   Room: -1
and
Object Name : _NEWPinball Machine - Shark - 0,0 id : 1108   Room: 4
Object Name : _NEWPinball Machine - Shark - 0,1 id : 1107   Room: 4

I didn't see any custom careers, majors, or foods.  I was just mentioning those.

Figure out the bat box.  Organize your downloads.  Verify mod compatibility.  Try removing any mods that do anything with pests.

Offline zumppe

• Toddling Tot
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2009, 12:19:54 PM »
I checked all the stuff in the buy section, and none of the games are custom... the shark pinball is also something that came with the game, I don't know which expansion, but it isn't custom either...

I just got the batbox, but as I said before, I'm a bit reluctant to delete any memories... anyway I think I'll wait for Zirconias report of her testing, I'd also like to know in advance what memories it really does delete. :)

I thought I'd take out all my custom content but the hairs (I really want my sims to look like... well, themselves?!) and maybe some of my absolute favorite items, and then if that's okay I'll try putting in a little at a time after that... I'm really praying the problem isn't ACR, 'cause I can't play without it anymore!  :love: I'd really want to keep all the other mods aswell though, I've only chosen ones that I "desperately" need in the first place...

Oh and where do I find Denise? Where is her home lot?  :confused: And then I have to get some teleporter cat (!!?  X) ) and teleport her husband home? Or?

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2009, 03:06:21 PM »
Denise and her son Gilbert live in Bluewater Village.  You need the teleporter cat so you can summon the dead husband to the lot.

To make it easier for you, here's a link to the page:

http://www.simlogical.com/sl/Sims2Pages/Sims2_Teleporters.htm

Her late husband should be in the Default family - I think his first name is Yves.

Offline zumppe

• Toddling Tot
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2009, 09:30:57 PM »
Thanks zz, I googled the cat and downloaded it last night...  :cheese: now I went to Denise (had no idea she lives in Bluewater... I play Riverblossom myself and my sims mostly hang out downtown) and summoned her husband (who's name was Xavier btw ;) ), she and Gilbert got the "Xavier died" memory, and now I'm hoping I got rid of the Denise problem. :) THANK YOU for your help!!

I've now made a list of how many cellphones, mp3 players and handheld games my sims have in their inventories at the moment... so I can check if anything disappears again.

I actually got the girl in the family to pillow fight for hours last night without stopping; I noticed one of the guys started to pillow fight with her, I paused the game FAST, then put all other guys to play poker or browse the web or blog (those things they do for a looong time) so nobody would try to interrupt, and they kept on pillow fighting, yay!  :thumb:  X) I think I really have to nuke those goddamn attraction markers, maybe we'll have some peace in the household then... for a while at least. Won't help with the boys stopping what they're doing though.

Now I think I'll build new houses for the sims that have downloaded ones and then get rid of all custom lots. And start deleting custom stuff from buy mode also. Problem is, everything I've downloaded hasn't shown up ingame (because there are like thousands of items in Downloads but not that many ingame), and I think they could create problems, not necessarily the ones that do show... but how the **** am I supposed to know which ones in Downloads are the ones that don't show.... sigh.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2009, 12:18:26 AM »
You can use the College Adjuster or the Blender to get rid of the cellphones your sims have, and the other electronics stuff.  Then check to see if a *nuke stuck cellphones* option appears, and if so do that as well.  I've frequently pulled the darn things out of sims' inventories by mistake - if they are anywhere but at the beginning of the list, it's very easily done, and if they are lying around the lot it can cause big problems.

Offline Zirconia Wolf

• Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2009, 04:46:22 AM »
*blink*

Denise Jacquet's dead hubby is most definitely Yves- at least, in the USA version of the game. (I've fiddled with that dude in the game/SimPE enough I have almost memorized his character file number!)

Just getting ready to test the latest (greatest?) AL lot Debugger to see what it's "memory appetite" is when compared to the FT one. Should be reporting back in a couple hours...

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2009, 04:55:07 AM »
Yes, I thought so too, in fact, I just used the CI to scroll through a set of characters folder from a hood I knew I hadn't used an empty template for OFB with, and he is definitely Yves, he's there in all his glory with his chef's hat on his head!

Offline Zirconia Wolf

• Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2009, 05:13:30 AM »
I love that he died with his boots hat on!

You know, I never took a look at his "ghost color" to see how exactly he was supposed to have died.

I'm betting massive kitchen fire!  :cheese:

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2009, 06:49:46 AM »
I don't know.  I remember the only time I actually played the Jacquets, that for some reason he was an unlinked, no character data ghost and could not be resurrected.  Whether this was something that was corrected in the OFB patch, or whether for some reason he got his file trashed in my particular install, I don't know - but I never got to see his ghost, so I haven't a clue what he might have died of, although a fire does sound the most likely solution!  There again, he was a romance sim, so maybe it was a fight to the death with an angry husband? :giggle:

Offline zumppe

• Toddling Tot
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2009, 08:29:40 AM »
How strange, why would they change the name??  :confused: There was no Yves, just Xavier... I don't have the US version though 'cause I'm Scandinavian, but anyway...

I know the _music_ is different in this European version (can't understand why though), but why a _name_?!

Offline Zirconia Wolf

• Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2009, 11:17:24 AM »
Why the different name? Lord only knows!

EAxis probably thought "Yves" was to "strange sounding" for some countries...like it's a standard name here in the states!?!  :confused:

Well, I just finished cropping/pasting the screenshots that I took during my Debugger memory test, so here's my report...

The purpose of this little test/picture log was to determine the severity of the latest Lot Debugger's memory eating when it comes to the Clear Trash option. This was done because the later FT/early AL versions of the Debugger not only nuked the "meet so-n-so" and "moved in/out" memories (which was fine) but they also ate up all the Toddler memories (walking, talking, etc) which for many of us was NOT okay! Rumors were circulating that the very latest AL release wasn't so aggressive, but to date nobody had ever tested the thing- or if they did, the certainly never said anything about it...

...until now!

(Sorry about all the pictures, but I wanted to *prove* my findings!)

For this test, I used the AL Lot Debugger, listed as being up-loaded on May 1st 2009 with a time stamp of April 30th. To be sure, I downloaded it (again) just before I conducted the following 2 experiments.

I chose to use the Belladonna Cove hood for this, if it matters. Of the pre-mades there I selected Sofia Baldwin (a child) & Carlos Contender (an elder) as this offered me two different memory "scenarios", one where the parents were still alive (Sofia) & one where the parents were long dead (Carlos) so I could see if the DeBugger cared one way or the other.

(I should mention here that in the interest of saving space, I cut-n-pasted the following pics, just in case you were wondering about some of them...)

First up : Sofia Baldwin, who's parents are still very much alive.

Here's what Sofia came into the game with...

...so I clicked Clear Trash & the Debugger cleared 3 items...

...and here's the result!

Toddler memories were left alone, while the moved in/out stuff was nuked.

This was great news...but what if the Sim's memories were linked to parents who were long dead? There is often some "funkiness" in the area of deceased Sims, so it was time to head over to Carlos Contender & see what would happen there.

Here is a listing of the memories Carlos started out with...

...hitting the Clear Trash option nukes 12 items...

...leaving the following "cleansed" memories for Carlos.

:yay:

So it seems old Pescy did pull back on the memory nuking after all!

(I was pleasantly surprised by these results, I must admit!)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 11:22:44 AM by Zirconia Wolf »

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2009, 01:16:11 PM »
Thanks for the work on this, ZW!  I for one will probably use the latest version of the debugger now! :thumb:

Just wondering whether Yves is unpronounceable in Swedish?  but why Xavier (essentially, I think, a Spanish, and not a French, name!)

Offline zumppe

• Toddling Tot
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2009, 01:32:46 PM »
Well, Swedish being my mother tongue I can answer that... ;) Yves is no more or less pronouncable in Swedish than in English. Xavier on the other hand is a name that I think many people (Swedish or not) could have difficulties with, not being certain how it really should be pronounced.

I have now nuked the attraction markers on the lot, there were 150 of them, and then I cleared the gossip also, about 25000 of them (!!!), and the "trash". So now all the moved in and met this or that person are deleted. Unfortunately that didn't help with the problems; the guys still keep stalking the girl as much as WITH the attraction markers, the handheld games and mp3:s are still vanishing, and the sims still drop whatever they start doing immediately. :( I even moved the family into a new house that I built using only default materials and items, no help. Sigh, I'm getting desperate. Tomorrow I'll have to start testing my mods (it's the middle of the night here now so it'll have to wait until then).

Thanks ZW for your great work, it was much appreciated!  :thumb:
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 01:37:03 PM by zumppe »

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2009, 03:31:04 PM »
Don't forget to delete your groups.cache and accessories.cache before you load your game.  There might be corrupt data relating to your cc still lurking there, and if you've never deleted them that could not only be all the cc you have now, but all you ever had, including stuff you got rid of long ago.

Offline Engram

• Mushloving Mophead
    • LL30 Sims
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2009, 09:16:12 PM »
I think the handhelds and MP3 players disappearing from one sim and appearing in another one's inventory are either a game bug or "normal". I've read accounts from other players where they sent 3 teens in the one family out shopping and they each bought 1 of each item from the electronics booth. Some 24 or 48 sim hours later, one of the teens had managed to hoard all the handhelds and MP3 players, while the other 2 had none. The player did not notice whether any of them did the "give gift" action autonomously or not. In a different post, a player was complaining that one sim somehow kept getting an MP3 player out of nowhere and her sibling kept losing his/hers (can't remember now which it was), so the sibling kept getting the "buy handheld" want all the time because he/she kept losing it to their sister for no apparent reason. I had this happen, too, actually. Not that you want to read my legacy ramblings on LJ, but it's mentioned about 3/4 of the way down here. So it's not just you - other people are experiencing this as well.

For the actions dropping from the queue - did you notice if the sims gain enthusiasm for a hobby just before they drop the action from the queue? This is a known bug and it is exacerbated by Pescado's commlotskilling hack for some reason. I had to take out that hack to give me some sanity after twin toddlers did toddler skilling table musical chairs for hours on end: start playing with blocks, gain enthusiasm, drop from queue, go back to playing with blocks, etc etc. With the hack out, they stopped getting enthusiasm on the toddler table. But now their little sister has the bug and I don't have commlotskilling any more so I'm just mystified what else could cause this other than game bugs because it also happens in a hack-free game for me. Not all sims seem to get affected but I get this bug all the time. Just last week, I had twin teens studying skills to earn college scholarships. One teen has this bug while the other one does not. Adam was happily reading a cook book and gaining cooking skill points. Ben kept getting cuisine hobby enthusiasm and putting the book down after a couple of minutes of reading. For mysterious reasons, the bug is not present after 7pm (ie. after it gets dark in-game). Check to see if your sims are getting hobby enthusiasm just as they put away the ball, etc. And try having them do those activities after 7pm and see if it makes a difference. Getting rid of commlotskilling may help, if you have it. Deleting that hack reduced the frequency of this behaviour for me.

For the girl being stalked by numerous suitors - did you have her wish for beauty from the Genie at any time? This is another bug and it is similar to the toddler smart milk bug. If you have a toddler age transition to child while in smart milk glow, they will get an IQ of 300 (per Lot Debugger info) and learn skills faster for the rest of their life. Wishing for beauty just before a teen transitions to adult or young adult has the same effect - they become irresistible to everyone, either for the remainder of the next life stage or for the remainder of their life, I can't remember which. I have had the smart milk effect get stuck on a kid even without transitioning while glowing, but he got the hobby enthusiasm bug, too (see description of Ben's studying woes in previous paragraph). So those effects sometimes get stuck, either for a reason (age transition while effect is active) or for no particular reason other than the game's say so.

Offline zumppe

• Toddling Tot
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2009, 03:14:45 AM »
Okay so now I've deleted the groups.cache and the accessory.cache, and nuked all attraction markers (oddly the one family had 150 of them, all other families between 0 and 8??!) and trash memories and deleted a lot of custom stuff (most of it), and still nothing helps. :( I noticed something that scared the living cr*p outta me though: it seems like none of the other families have these problems!  :omg: I just went to the family with the problems, and within the first few minutes of playing one of the boys seemed to reset, another threw an error ("object must be a person"?!?!), and then the Relationship Decay error happened again... I went to another family, played for a while, no errors, nothing. I don't remember seeing the Relationship Decay error on any other lot than just the one. The scary part is, I've already had the family in question move three times since then to check if it's the lot/materials/something, but NOOO, the same freakin problems over and over again. So it has to be my sims, hasn't it, not the mods, hacks, downloads, lot, or anything else....

Now I really don't know what to do, I'm freaking out because this is The Family for me and I just _can't_ lose them. :(

How can you debug your sims??

(Engram: Thanks for helping me out! :) Interesting about the handhelds... so my sims might just be sharing with their siblings, ha ha!  X) I haven't wished for beauty, and I don't really know about the hobby enthusiasm... hmm? Gotta check. But there hasn't been any problems until now with them stopping what they're doing, it just started very recently... and this family has been around forever.)

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2009, 03:18:46 AM »
Engram, have you tried tunaisafish's Enthusiasm mods?  also Ancient Highway has a set of mods to limit toddler and child skills.  I've been using both, and for me, at least, it makes things seem much more *realistic* - I always felt somehow that a five-year-old shouldn't be able to paint a masterpiece!

zumppe, could you post another error log for one of the sims who *is an object*?

One other thing occurred to me is that, since it is just this house where it is still happening, it may be that some of your sims have become *unlinked*, and if you are able to do simple things in SimPE, this is very easily fixed.  I have a feeling, though, that maybe the debugger will do that too.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 03:21:34 AM by zephyrzodiac »

Offline zumppe

• Toddling Tot
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2009, 04:53:14 AM »
Here are two error logs, one for "object referred to must be a person" and one other object error concerning the bath tub if I understand correctly; the tubs are custom, but I didn't think that would be a problem since a) I've had them for months, and more importantly b) many other families have them and don't have these problems... but if some error log literate person could take a look at it...

I've been using SimPE for a while now, I could *not* play without it, it's a lifesaver!  :cheese: But what should I look for in SimPE in this case?

Offline zumppe

• Toddling Tot
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2009, 06:11:54 AM »
I went to SimPE, and as far as I can see everything seems ok..? Of course there might be something I overlooked. Anyway, I also checked up on Denise Jacquet (the Yves/Xavier thing is so weird!), and *in SimPE, his name is Yves*!!!  :blink: Well, I thought I'm losing my mind so I went back to the game and payed Denise a visit, and apparently I'm still reasonably sane, because her memories clearly say "Xavier died" (I attached a screenshot as evidence!  :wink: X) )! In SimPE, her memories said "Yves died". Woooot???

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2009, 07:53:19 AM »
Use the Clean Installer to scroll through your Characters folder in the Neighborhoods folder (G001) I think....) and see what his name is there, and whether there is any other sim named Xavier.

If there is no Xavier anywhere, you could try renaming Yves to Xavier and then back again to Yves in the Descriptions section, just might jog the game into getting it right.  If you are playing with a Cleaned-up template, it may be that the person who made the template made a mistake.  (I'm assuming that, since your error logs are in English, you are playing in English, but if not, it may be a simple slip in the translation process.) 

If you go into Sim Description/Other you should see the Unlinked line in the right hand panel.  For a living sim, this should always be set to 0x0000, if it is anything different, you can just change it to that number and then commit and save.

I don't know whether the problem is the bath thinking it's a helipad?

BTW, if you did have to correct unlinkage, and things are still odd, try deleting the NeighborhoodManager.package.  This will unfortunately probably cause a hood reset, but if it clears the problem with your sims you might find it worth the bother of resetting your adjusters etc.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 07:56:03 AM by zephyrzodiac »

Offline zumppe

• Toddling Tot
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2009, 08:16:12 AM »
Thanks zz, I'll have a look at the "unlinked" thing!  :smile:

Yes, I'm playing in English... I always do, don't ask me why, but I use English as my primary language on the computer. I've gotten so used to it that every other language would feel stupid, ha ha!  X) (I really only took TWO English classes in high school years ago, but a lifetime of travels and especially TV has resulted in this. ;) )

Here are two more error logs from today, I find them a bit different from the earlier ones, there's something about a controller... These errors occurred on another lot with another family, but: the family with problems was visiting at the time! I haven't gotten any other errors on that lot yet, without the problem family present. I'll just have to keep playing and see what happens.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2009, 08:37:25 AM »
Have you by any chance got an outdated version of the Visitor Controller?  Or something else connected with strays or wolves (or werewolves) that is somehow causing something to throw these errors?

Offline zumppe

• Toddling Tot
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2009, 08:45:32 AM »
I don't have any Visitor Controller... or anything related to strays/wolves either. Everything I have I put in my second post in this thread... that's it, nothing else.  :smile:

I went to SimPE to check the unlinked thing, but I guess I have a different version of SimPE, because there was no "Sim Description/Other" and no "unlinked"... There was Sim Description, yes, but when I clicked that only a list of sims opened in the right hand panel, and when I clicked on a sim there was just the normal info about the sim that you get with the "Sim Browser".  :unsure:

My version is 0.72.1.33855, should I get another one?

Offline zumppe

• Toddling Tot
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2009, 09:24:36 AM »
Ok so I got the newest SimPE, and I also found the "Other", I didn't understand at first it's the "Other" you get when you use the Sim Browser!  :smile: I checked my sims, and they are all 0x0000.

Weird though, that when I first tried to start the new SimPE, it tried to open some really old backup of the game, not the present one, and failed; and then announced that it can't find my University folder (umm, it was trying to use the SEASONS folder to get University, wooot, so I changed it to Uni and then everything was ok... there was something weird going on clearly though!).

Offline Zirconia Wolf

• Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2009, 09:30:16 AM »
The latest version is 0.73.41.32884, but it's for up to AL + MG....I don't remember what all you have! (Too lazy to look at opening post... :P )

Anyway, here's two screenshots of where to find the unlinked thing ZZ was talking about.

"Sim Description" shows the open panel for a Sim (who should look familiar!) & shows where to find the Other button. (Highlighted in pic)

"Other" shows what info is there & has the Unlinked thingy highlighted.

**crossed post again! too bad!**

Offline AncientHighway

• Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2009, 10:09:14 AM »
ObjectError_G001_t57600.txt

Build: 1.16.0.194
at Oct  9 2008,17:03:03

Object id: 94
name: Controller - Relationship Decay
Stack size: 6
Error: Too many iterations.
Iterations: 300000
  Frame 5:
    Stack Object id: 226
    Stack Object name: Controller - Stray
    Node: 1
    Tree: id 4355 name 'Is soulmate?' version -32751
    from Controller_Relationships
    Prim state: 0
    Params: 226 249    Locals: 0 0 0

In all my experience with TS2, I've never seen a BHAV named "Is Soulmate?"  Researching it on SimPE, there is none.  Manually looking over the BHAVs for Controller - Relationship Decay, there is none.  The only reference I could find to soulmates and TS2 is with the console version of the game.

You've got a mod out there adding this functionality.  Maybe something someone tried to port from the console version.  Maybe something someone made and never bothered to update.  Maybe something you don't even know you have.

Offline zumppe

• Toddling Tot
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2009, 10:57:11 AM »
Mkaaay, now I'm really confused. Soulmates? And it's not supposed to be there? Like I said, I have no hacks or mods other than those in my second post... could it be part of the romancemod?

Offline AncientHighway

• Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2009, 11:02:45 AM »
Start Clean Installer and scan your Downloads.
Sort on Type.  You will be looking at files with no Type.
Now look for files with names 32 hexadecimal (0-9,a-f) characters long.  If you highlight them and don't get a preview picture or any information at the bottom of the screen, move it out of your downloads.  I'd delete it actually.  It's a file you don't know anything about.  Probably a hack that came into your game attached to another download like a lot.
Then give your game a try again.

Offline zumppe

• Toddling Tot
« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2009, 11:48:48 AM »
Thanks ancienthighway for the tip! :smile: I did what you suggested, and the Clean Installer found no suspicious files. I'm not sure if that's a good or a bad thing, ha ha! X)

Anyway, I now removed a couple of my mods and am hoping that would help. Fingers crossed!!

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2009, 01:23:07 PM »
In your Logs folder in My Documents/EA GAmes/The Sims 2 there should be a file called CustomContentObjects.txt.  That file should contain the name of everything in your game, but will probably include things that have been removed.  Delete the file and run your game.  This should allow an up-to-date copy of the custom content in your game to be generated.  Zip it up and upload it, maybe someone will spot something that looks like it might be a problem.

Offline zumppe

• Toddling Tot
« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2009, 12:20:56 AM »
I have no removed almost all my downloads, I have only ACR, Romancemod, noinstantlove, noprivacy for bathrooms, the lot debugger and an aircon. Plus some hairs because I don't want my sims to look different. I also deleted the groups.cache and accessory.cache (again!), PLUS the NeighborhoodManager.package.

Results? Played for 5 to 10 minutes, and during that time I got an object error in one of the boys (could not find object reference), and a relationship decay error. AGAIN.

(And WOW was the house butt ugly, all the nice things were replaced with some shockingly hideous cr*p. X) )

I'm attaching the CustomContentObjects log.

Should I re-install ACR, the romancemod and noinstantlove?? Could they be the problem?! Running out of options here...
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 12:23:02 AM by zumppe »

Offline AncientHighway

• Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2009, 12:35:50 AM »
Could you post those errors you still received?

anything