We don't have many rules here. Registration is not - and never will be
, required to download content from the site with the possible exception of some future private beta content that may only be available to members until officially released.
The minimum age for registration is 16 as stated in the registration agreement. The only reason for the age requirement is that we will not and don't expect the moderators to police the site for language or content. You may see a bad word. You may see sexual innuendo. These are both ok, within limits.
Accounts not accessed in over 90 days are subject to being purged from the database. This may or may not happen, but you have been warned.
Some rules on registration:
- User names must be at least 4 (four) characters long, NOT be made of only digits, and NOT strike the moderator approving new accounts as obscene or offensive. Also, they should NOT be all caps, because that screams "I NEED ATTENTION". New accounts violating this rule will be rejected without comment by the moderators.
- New accounts will require activation, in the form of an email with a link to click to finish the process. Moderators send these emails while approving new accounts, usually within a couple hours. Always use a valid email address, or you won't be able to activate your account!
- We use a service which checks new members' user names, email addresses, and IP addresses for reports of spammer activity on other sites. New accounts flagged by this service will be rejected without comment by the moderators. There will be no exceptions. We're sorry if your information has been flagged incorrectly by the service. If your account was apparently rejected for this reason, try using a different, valid, email address or possibly a computer with a different Internet connection.
- Existing accounts which post spam will be deleted without comment and reported to this service.
- New accounts not activated within 42 days (six weeks) WILL be deleted without comment.
Now for The Forum Rules:
- No spamming. Double posting is not generally considered spamming unless you're obnoxious about it. Advertising your porn site or offshore pharmacy is a guaranteed way to get banned. Even though you're probably a bot.
- Sleepycat's rule: Don't post a new thread asking the same question you already have a thread for. If you didn't get a response to the first thread, edit your original post with more info or rephrase your question. It will come up as an unread post again. Keep in mind members here are very knowledgeable about the game, but don't know everything and aren't mind readers.
- --- CLARIFICATION: this means that starting multiple threads with the same question is NOT allowed, because we consider it SPAMMING.
- No flaming. Outright flaming another member is not allowed. Poking, however is allowed. If you don't know the difference, keep your mouth shut. Keep your petty arguments from other sites off this one. I don't want to hear about them and won't put up with them here.
- No over-formatting. In fact, just keep your mouse away from the 'Glow' and 'Marquee' buttons. They are extremely annoying and add nothing to your post unless you are using them for comedic effect. Even then, think twice. Please...think of the children and my old eyes.
- Avoid netspeak/textspk or whatever it's being called today please. Done in moderation or to poke at netspeak is ok though. DO NOT POST IN ALL CAPS! It's rude and extremely annoying. Do nOt dO cUtEsY CrAp lIke tHis. It's even more annoying.
- Though double posting isn't considered spamming, it IS discouraged. Do NOT post multiple posts directly after another in the same thread, unless a reasonable time (say 30 minutes or more) has passed since your last entry, or unless someone else has already posted a reply to your post. There is an alternative way: Modify your last post to add the new information there!
- --- EXCEPTION #1: If the new information you have to offer is REALLY important, it may be sensible to double post. The admins and moderators are reasonable about these things, but we ask for some common sense.
- --- EXCEPTION #2: Some very new members may be unable to Modify their post as the result of a precaution... In that case, you have no alternative but to double-post, of course, and we will not fault you.
- NO unnecessary quoting. If you're replying to the LAST post in a thread, use the "REPLY" button, in stead of "Quote". Quoting the last post above your own only serves to waste valuable DB space, and serves no purpose at all: everyone can already see the post you're responding to right above your own message, and they don't need to re-read it in your post as well!
- --- EXCEPTION: If the last post is rather long, and you only want to respond to a small part of it, quote ONLY that part, and NOT the whole message.
That's about it.
- When you register, you are expected to have read these rules and agree with them. Being a new member will NOT be a free pass to ignore these rules; they apply to everyone, always!
Have fun, enjoy the mods, and welcome to Simbology!
Edited September 15, 2012 to add some new rules and clarify existing ones.