Author Topic: Sims2 HCDU Questions  (Read 7913 times)

Offline jjab73

• Queen of Typoland
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Love . Peace . Happiness
Sims2 HCDU Questions
« on: April 13, 2008, 09:20:24 AM »
Although I have yet to experience any problems, I downloaded and ran Paladin's Hack Conflict Detection Utility for the very first time today and came up w/ 16 possible conflicts all having to do w/ InTeenimater_B.package. The majority of the conflicts, however, all had to do w/ other InTeen files.

I've read here that there are one or two of TJ's mods that show as possible conflicts, but are not. So, is it ok to assume that Social Sanity Fixes, & Same Sex Marriage (which came up in the report) are 2 of those?

Also, my main question, how do I know if/when there is a real conflict? Plus, will the 16 that came up today, come up every time?

I think that's all I have to ask right now..but I'm not making any promises! :D

Seriously, T.I.A.

EDIT (4.13.08-5:04pm): I just thought of another question: Can I run HCDU while the game is running? Or is there a way to "trap" the error so that I can refer to it once I exit the game? That way I can deal with any error exactly when it happens and hopefully be able to knock them out one at a time.

T.I.A. (again) :)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 02:08:29 PM by jjab73 »

Offline yetyak

• Tempermental Tyke
Re: Sims2 HCDU Questions
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 09:40:14 AM »
If they are the InTeen flavor paks, they are supposed to conflict, since they are overriding something specific.  TJ's stuff has no problems with InTeen, some have loading order specifications though.

Yes, those conflicts will come up every time.  It just takes a bit of practice with it to know which ones are 'normal' conflicts and which ones are real problems.

Offline jjab73

• Queen of Typoland
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 10:20:11 AM »
Whee! :blink:[/sarcasm]  Ok, well I renamed the "hack report", adding today's date. So hopefully, if I ever do end up w/ an issue I'll be able to compare reports and figure out what's new that way.

Thank you Yetyak  :)

Offline jinyc

• Oh! The Horror!
  • Highchair Hipster
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 02:01:42 PM »
HCDU shows potential conflicts. The fact that it highlights two mods does not mean that they are truly in conflict. Different mods use the same BHavs. They can exist side by side. If you are experiencing problems in your game then the potential conflicts should be tested by removing the hacks in question to see if the conflict is fixed.
Joey the Whinerator

Offline jjab73

• Queen of Typoland
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 02:10:46 PM »
HCDU shows potential conflicts. The fact that it highlights two mods does not mean that they are truly in conflict. Different mods use the same BHavs. They can exist side by side. If you are experiencing problems in your game then the potential conflicts should be tested by removing the hacks in question to see if the conflict is fixed.

Your response just made me think of another question, I edited my original post, but here's the question:Can I run HCDU while the game is running? Or is there a way to "trap" the error so that I can refer to it once I exit the game?

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Superannuated Coffeeholic
    • Zephyr Zodiac @ 4-Shared
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2008, 02:15:02 PM »
Since my game is running, I tried HCDU, and it worked fine, just a bit slower than when the game isn't loaded.
"All the world's a Neighbourhood, and all the men and women merely Sims."  ZephyrZodiac with apologies to Willie Waggledagger.

http://www.4shared.com/u/yCrnLoEP/Zephyr_Zodiac.html

Offline jinyc

• Oh! The Horror!
  • Highchair Hipster
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2008, 02:22:02 PM »
TA Zephyr, that's good to know.  :thumb:
Joey the Whinerator

Offline jjab73

• Queen of Typoland
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2008, 02:39:02 PM »
Since my game is running, I tried HCDU, and it worked fine, just a bit slower than when the game isn't loaded.

Nice!  Thank you!! :smile: I really applicate that. I'm not brave enough to try something that might mean catastrophe to my game... :cheese:

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2008, 04:58:59 PM »
Well, I always save before I alt-tab, and I've accidentally clicked on SimPE in similar circumstances without causing a disaster to my game!  So I was pretty sure the worst that would happen would be the program wouldn't be able to read stuff being used by the game, but apparently it can.  The clean installer, unfortunately, can't!
"All the world's a Neighbourhood, and all the men and women merely Sims."  ZephyrZodiac with apologies to Willie Waggledagger.

Offline jjab73

• Queen of Typoland
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2008, 05:07:40 PM »
The clean installer, unfortunately, can't!

Yeah, I found that one out the hard way, but luckily didn't break anything. I play my game in a window instead of full screen, which means if I stop to search for something I may forget thatthe game is on in the background.
You can, however, INSTALL w/ the clean installer while the game is running, you just won't see the content until you start up the game the next time, of course.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2008, 05:11:03 PM »
Well, since all the clean installer does is place package files etc in the teleport folder, or whatever, it's really no different than putting some new cc in yourself, it won't do any harm and the game won't read it because it reads what cc is available when you load the game and doesn't make any further checks.

Offline yetyak

• Tempermental Tyke
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2008, 06:40:36 AM »
Well, that is good to know, since I often will minimize the game and go download stuff while it is still running.  I've never put anything in, and that I think, is what leads to a lot of my forgetting to install things and/or check them out.  Nice to know it can be done without problems.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2008, 06:52:25 AM »
I am rather anal about how I download and install stuff.  I have a big downloads folder on my second hard drive, inside that I have an Unused Downloads and a Used Downloads folder.  Each is then subfoldered by site.  So, if I download a set from ATS2, for example, it would first go into Unused Downloads/ATS2.  When I've finished downloading, and I'm in the mood, I start unzipping all this stuff, adding pics that I always download at the same time, rename the unzipped folder from whatever long and involved name it has to just the name of the set, copy that name to the pic, then unzip a second time within the first folder, chuck the zip into the recycle bin, and move the contents of the second folder over to my Downloads folder if I want it in my current game.  If not, it just stays put until I do want it.  (Oh, and if a set includes walls and floors, I sort them out into their own folders etc. too!)  If I've put the stuff in game, I then move the remaining folder to Used Downloads/ATS2, and eventually it gets backed up to CD and even then I keep the copy on my PC, now in a subfolder called Downloads saved to CD/DVD!)

And if you're wondering why I'm so obsessive, about 18 months ago my hard drives both got fried by McAfee and I lost EVERYTHING!

Offline yetyak

• Tempermental Tyke
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2008, 07:02:34 AM »
I'm nearly that bad myself, for basically the same reason.  I had over 7GB of downloads that I lost.  They were all beautifully organized and subfoldered.  *sigh* and some of the stuff isn't available anymore, and I never got as far as burning it to cd.    Now I'm trying to not get so attached to my downloads...

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2008, 07:07:07 AM »
The lost downloads I could live with - but around ten thousand little simmies also bit the dust!  'And I hadn't backed them up either!   :pissed:

Offline yetyak

• Tempermental Tyke
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2008, 07:14:30 AM »
That's too bad!!!  I did have a back up of my game, but it was about 6 months old.  Some things didn't turn out the same the second time through, but it was still fun. Going through and updating all the hacks for the EP that was added right after the backup was made was a pain, since I'd already done it once.  And that was my main hood, that I'd been playing since the beginning.  I was glad it wasn't completely gone.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2008, 07:16:41 AM »
I had a few hoods on my laptop which had been transferred over and then played, but those I did at least have the originals still on the laptop, but I still completely lost around a dozen hoods!

Offline jjab73

• Queen of Typoland
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2008, 07:22:43 AM »
I am rather anal about how I download and install stuff.  I have a big downloads folder on my second hard drive, inside that I have an Unused Downloads and a Used Downloads folder.  Each is then subfoldered by site.  So, if I download a set from ATS2, for example, it would first go into Unused Downloads/ATS2.  When I've finished downloading, and I'm in the mood, I start unzipping all this stuff, adding pics that I always download at the same time, rename the unzipped folder from whatever long and involved name it has to just the name of the set, copy that name to the pic, then unzip a second time within the first folder, chuck the zip into the recycle bin, and move the contents of the second folder over to my Downloads folder if I want it in my current game.  If not, it just stays put until I do want it.  (Oh, and if a set includes walls and floors, I sort them out into their own folders etc. too!)  If I've put the stuff in game, I then move the remaining folder to Used Downloads/ATS2, and eventually it gets backed up to CD and even then I keep the copy on my PC, now in a subfolder called Downloads saved to CD/DVD!)
Wow!! That sounds complicated!

And if you're wondering why I'm so obsessive, about 18 months ago my hard drives both got fried by McAfee and I lost EVERYTHING!

Aww man! That sucks! I had to rebuild my Downloads folder after re-installing FreeTime about 2 months ago. It was my own fault, I forgot to back up the folder. I actually cried for about 1/2 an hour and then went about recollecting stuff. Most of the objects had come from one site, so it wasn't too bad. But getting all of the custom hair back was a p.i.t.a.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2008, 07:28:24 AM »
Worse if you've spent time binning it!  That's why I keep copies of everything.  What bugged me most was all the donation sets, I was able to get them back, everyone I'd had donation sets from was very helpful and there was no problem with that, but it was time-consuming.  But I had to take out a new sub with TSR just to redownload stuff I'd had - although naturally I got a lot of new stuff as well.....

Offline jjab73

• Queen of Typoland
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2008, 07:37:46 AM »
Worse if you've spent time binning it!  That's why I keep copies of everything.  What bugged me most was all the donation sets, I was able to get them back, everyone I'd had donation sets from was very helpful and there was no problem with that, but it was time-consuming.  But I had to take out a new sub with TSR just to redownload stuff I'd had - although naturally I got a lot of new stuff as well.....

Same issue for me on both counts, although I was fortunate not have a lot of donation stuff, and what I did have was backed up on my desk top.
The hair binning is ridiculously time consuming, so it did stop me from going too crazy reinstalling them.
As for the TSR subscription, my hubby gave me a year as a b-day gift because the Sims2 is my only hobby obsession. I actually just re-upped to take advantage of their "forced discount" since they raised their prices, so I should be good through Sims2 Apartments and the 2 Stuff packs coming our way.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2008, 09:53:35 AM »
If you get the hair-binning tool, it does make binning hair quicker and faster, but it's still a lot of bother to do!  What really bugs me is the hair-creators who say their hair is binned, but they haven't bothered to sort out all the greys!

I have a TSR sub, too, and of course, I then download stuff so I'll get my money's worth!  Also have recently bought a sub at SimFreaks, now you don't have to buy points any more!  And I know that everything I get from there is always available in my account should I lose it, and I won't have to pay or sub again to get it!

Offline jjab73

• Queen of Typoland
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2008, 09:58:07 AM »
Also have recently bought a sub at SimFreaks, now you don't have to buy points any more!  And I know that everything I get from there is always available in my account should I lose it, and I won't have to pay or sub again to get it!

I've never heard of them. I may check them out (once my wallet recovers a bit :)), Anyplace that "holds" on to your purchases for you seems like a good "investment".

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2008, 10:07:54 AM »
Well, you could check them out and register anyway, there are some freebies which you can try out and you can scroll through and see whether anything catches your eye.

Offline jinyc

• Oh! The Horror!
  • Highchair Hipster
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2008, 01:19:56 PM »
I remember Sim Freaks from the old TS1 days. They were an awesome Site then and I am sure that they are equally awesome now. It's time to give them a look see. :smile:
Joey the Whinerator

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2008, 01:24:20 PM »
Heather is an extremely talented creator, I love her stuff, and my favourite sofas and chairs are in her Touch of Country set - they are the only sofas I know of that let a pregnant sim nap in comfort and wake up really refreshed without totally depleted bladder and hunger motives!  And there's enough recolours for a different set of suite covers in every house in your neighbourhood!

Offline jinyc

• Oh! The Horror!
  • Highchair Hipster
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2008, 01:35:46 PM »
I support a few pay Sites.

Of course, the mother of them all, TSR has been there for me (world without end) since TS1. I still lurk about there everyday.

I have spent less time at SimsChic lately. While Crechebaby is one of the best skinners out there, I don't know why but there has been less and less of interest for me there.

I have always loved Sims Connection. I use them less and less now because I simply do not want to D/L any Sims2Pack files. They do have amazing lots though.

You're so right about Heather. SF was an amazing source of clothing and objects for the old TS1 times. I also belonged to WDS in the TS1 days but I never thought they were as exciting at SF.

Joey the Whinerator

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2008, 03:39:50 PM »
Heather doesn't make clothing these days - however, MadKidIan does, also makes houses and furniture, he's an extremely gifted young man, and I think he's still only 16 or maybe 17 by now.

If you really want to try something really unusual, there's Heather's Stackable Paintings, not easy till you get the hang of them, but you can really go to town on your walls! 

One plus for me about Heather's policy is she allows anyone to recolour her meshes as long as they give a link back to her site - a lot of people don't realise this.

One of my favourite old Sims 1 donation sites was Secret Sims, I used to love her stuff.