Author Topic: What a Foolish Thing to Do!!!  (Read 3140 times)

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Superannuated Coffeeholic
    • Zephyr Zodiac @ 4-Shared
What a Foolish Thing to Do!!!
« on: December 10, 2014, 05:17:04 AM »
Yesterday I worked on a house, saved and went into Neighborhood View in order to move a family to the bin and then into the house.  Believe it or not, I forgot to switch from build mode to sim mode, and clicked on the house, didn't read the pop-up and just allowed the house to transfer to the lots and houses bin!!!  I thought, I'd better put the house back and then clean everyone up - but the house got stuck and wouldn't finish loading so I had to close the game from the Task Manager.  The three sims in the family still exist, but of course they are now NCD files, plus their empty clones who have no information anywhere.

Well, I started with Aaron, and I've returned all his memories, character, etc. etc., but I cannot find a way to restore his SWAF or DNA files.  His NCD file has them, but I can't transfer the info the new file because his empty SWAF and DNA files just aren't there.

Does anyone know how I can restore this data?  (As far as I can see, if I open the Character File, the info is there, at least for the DNA.)
"All the world's a Neighbourhood, and all the men and women merely Sims."  ZephyrZodiac with apologies to Willie Waggledagger.

http://www.4shared.com/u/yCrnLoEP/Zephyr_Zodiac.html

Offline mark93

• Talkative Toddler
Re: What a Foolish Thing to Do!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 07:34:25 AM »
The only way i know of it to follow this: "A summary of the illustrated tutorial by Celesta92059 . http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Game_guide:Resurrecting_tips

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • We'll jump off that bridge when we come to it.
    • Leefish
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 08:39:22 AM »
I don't know about the DNA, but I seem to remember saving/exporting and later restoring/importing SWAF data from within SimPE. It's a darned long time ago, though, so I can't be certain that I remember correctly. I'll have a look at it right away and get back when I know more...

Update: It SEEMS simple. Find the SDNA and SWAF file with the instance number of the sim you want to copy them from, and import them into your sim. But apparently there's more to it. For the DNA, I don't expect a lot of trouble (you can't see that on the outside of any sim), but I can not yet confirm that it even *does* anything with the copied SWAF data, let alone that it uses it correctly. What I *do* know, is that there's no way that I can see to change the Sim ID in the wants and the fears.

Anyway, what I came up with so far, is to simply right-click the SDNA or SWAF file that I wanted to copy, Extract that, then right-click the file that I wanted to copy it to, and select "Replace..." SimPE corrects the instance number, so that part works. But as I said, I don't know (yet) how to fix the Sim ID in wants and fears.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 09:32:46 AM by BoilingOil »

"BO, Sir, you rock! :bow:" - TheISZ                           (banner design: eefje00704/Eva)

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 10:15:31 AM »
So importing the file would put it in the sim's Character file?  I'm not over-worried about the DNA since it appears to be there already, but from my experience, a non-existent SWAF file could mean that in game the sim is unable to generate one at all!  It is, after all, the SWAF file which, basically, is copied to the sim in game.
"All the world's a Neighbourhood, and all the men and women merely Sims."  ZephyrZodiac with apologies to Willie Waggledagger.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 01:24:22 PM »
Yes, indeed. Importing *any* SWAF file would put it in the sim's character file. The only thing I can not guarantee, though, is that it will do a proper job. What I did, was copy Gunther Goth's SDNA and SWAF files, and import them into Mortimer. Afterwards, the game still loaded properly, and loading the Goth house caused no issues either. Mortimer is still his amicable self (grumpy, that is), so it didn't break anything. But whether it will do any good in the long run, I can not say.

Anyway, If you have no other recourse than copying just any SWAF file into your sim, then I'd say "go for it". At least, it beats having to give up your sim. :D
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 01:26:24 PM by BoilingOil »

"BO, Sir, you rock! :bow:" - TheISZ                           (banner design: eefje00704/Eva)

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 01:36:34 PM »
Oh, the NCD Aaron has both the SWAF and DNA info.  How exactly do I extract and import the files?  When I right-click and choose *extract* I get taken to Documents, which I don't think is where I need to be.  And then, how exactly do I import that info to the Character File?  Do I just make sure I have the correct file in *Characters* and click on that to import?

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 04:26:28 PM »
Yes, you actually *do* need to be in Documents, to save the file. And then you go to the similar file of the new Aaron that needs it and, after right-clicking, choose "Replace..." That will again take you to Documents, where you select the .simpe file (NOT the .xml file) for import.

Of course, in stead of "Documents" you *could* select any other place of your choice to save and reload the file. Documents is just the convenient default location...
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 04:29:44 PM by BoilingOil »

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2014, 07:35:15 AM »
I'm glad to say that, after all, I don't need to do that as the Wants loaded as soon as I made them selectable! :thumb:  I did, of course, have to spend ages with the batbox getting their LTWs back to at least something acceptable!

Thanks for the help, though, as I now know what to do when the game doesn't reset them properly! :thumb:

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2014, 08:23:46 AM »
You're perfectly welcome, ZZ. I'm glad you got your game back to "normal" :D

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2014, 10:47:57 AM »
Just have to remember not to move sims while half asleep!

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2014, 11:22:05 AM »
I wasn't gonna say anything about that, but indeed you best avoid that! :P