Author Topic: Back from being gone for a bit.  (Read 315 times)

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • We'll jump off that bridge when we come to it.
    • Leefish
Back from being gone for a bit.
« on: October 14, 2017, 09:40:28 AM »
Hi folks,

Nobody may have even noticed, but I was not very active for almost a week. My system had a spot of problems: it started with one of the graphics cards dying on me, and as soon as that was fixed, the on-board network controller told me to DIY. Installing a new network controller (complicated by the fact that the DVD player refused to cooperate as well) caused the on-board sound controller to also go on extended leave. And since the memory banks had already started to act a little wonky as well, I decided last Sunday evening, that it was time to retire the old hardware.

And that took some doing... 6 days worth of doing!

So here we are, with the same old box now containing a new Mobo, CPU, memory banks, graphics card, and DVD player. And for good measure, I've copied the boot system from my old 256GB SSD onto a new 525GB SSD. We don't do these things in a small way, now, do we?

"BO, Sir, you rock! :bow:" - TheISZ                           (banner design: eefje00704/Eva)

Online zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Superannuated Coffeeholic
    • Zephyr Zodiac @ 4-Shared
Re: Back from being gone for a bit.
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 11:39:42 AM »
Sorry to hear you've had so many problems.  Makes me a bit worried about my system, too!  But at least you're up and running again, with a new SSD and twice the space.  Though having to reinstall everything, sheesh, not again!
"All the world's a Neighbourhood, and all the men and women merely Sims."  ZephyrZodiac with apologies to Willie Waggledagger.

http://www.4shared.com/u/yCrnLoEP/Zephyr_Zodiac.html

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 05:18:15 PM »
Actually, I have not installed anything this time. :)

Before the box went into the store for repair/upgrade, I downloaded Clonezilla Live, and put that on a USB drive.

When the box came back, I booted from that USB stick, and used Clonezilla to copy the entire boot-partition from the old 256GB drive onto the new 525GB drive. This took no more than 2 minutes.
Then I booted up from the new drive, and had Windows' Hardware Manager update the drivers from the DVD that came with the mobo. That took no more than 5 minutes.
All that was left to do then, was to open disk manager (part of system manager) and expand the boot partition to include the unused space on the new drive. That took mere seconds.

So in under 10 minutes and without much effort, I have Win7 and all my old games, documents and settings on the new box. Nothing has changed!

Edit to add: it *may* happen that the next time you boot the system, it reports that BOOTMGR is missing. In that case, boot from the Windows installation disk, and select the "Repair" option. This also takes very little time to do, fortunately.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 04:05:40 AM by BoilingOil »

"BO, Sir, you rock! :bow:" - TheISZ                           (banner design: eefje00704/Eva)

Online zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2017, 08:16:29 PM »
Brilliant!   I must remember that.
"All the world's a Neighbourhood, and all the men and women merely Sims."  ZephyrZodiac with apologies to Willie Waggledagger.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2017, 03:59:34 AM »
Yeah, that is brilliant, isn't it? I wish I could claim it as my own invention, but a friend of mine suggested this method when I had that problem with my SSD, three years ago, where I couldn't use my PC for almost two years. Only difference is, that back then I didn't need to update the hardware drivers, because besides replacing the SSD, nothing changed.

Clonezilla is just a small Linux-environment on a stick (it requires only 200MB space), dedicated to moving boot-systems around from disk to disk.

Small businesses use tools like this for cloning a single boot-system to multiple PCs. They build a dozen or so identical systems, and install windows and all the relevant drivers on one of them. Then they run Clonezilla to make an image of that boot-disk, and restore that image to the other eleven drives one by one. Hey presto, now they have a dozen identical systems with Windows pre-installed. And especially now with the SSD drive, it hardly takes time to make the copies, too.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 12:34:28 PM by BoilingOil »

Online zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2017, 11:47:25 AM »
Is it expensive?

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2017, 12:18:29 PM »
Depends on what you mean by "it". Clonezilla is completely free! All the hardware is a different story, of course. :)

Online zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2017, 12:50:47 PM »
Of course!  I meant Clonezilla.

Offline LilSister

• Toddling Tot
    • LilSister's Sims Family Affair
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2017, 01:56:43 PM »
I noticed BO, infact I've been wondering where everyone else has been too. Glad to see you back and I've learned something new.  :cheese:

anything