Author Topic: Questions (and Answers) about BO's mods  (Read 230432 times)

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • We'll jump off that bridge when we come to it.
    • Leefish
Update - Social - Kiss Cheek
« Reply #1500 on: March 21, 2016, 09:18:09 AM »
Update, March 21st, 2016: BO - Social - Kiss Cheek - Four and a half years ago, when 'fixing' the controlpets bug, I introduced another horrible error. It's now - 4.5 years later - because ihatemandatoryregister made a sideways mention of it in a comment, that I suddenly realised that - as author of the mod - *I* had not seen the interaction show up for a long time, either. So I investigate, and what do I find? In stead of testing for Human species, I tested for Big Dog species. So all this time, nobody ever had the Kiss.../Cheek interaction available. And yet nobody ever reported this problem! Anyway, now it is finally fixed, and I have verified that it works properly at last!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 06:48:40 AM by BoilingOil »

"BO, Sir, you rock! :bow:" - TheISZ                           (banner design: eefje00704/Eva)

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
Update - Vampire Sleep Caller - Updated
« Reply #1501 on: March 28, 2016, 06:48:05 AM »
Update, March 28th, 2016: BO - Vampire Sleep Caller - Updated - Long time no blÍh! But here we are again. This time to mention that in addition to what was already covered, darkness will now also touch CrabOfDoom's Bare Bones Deep Sleeper (single bed coffin only), added in response to Artemida's request.

"BO, Sir, you rock! :bow:" - TheISZ                           (banner design: eefje00704/Eva)

Offline Sleepycat

• Resident Hairball
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • meow!
Re: Questions (and Answers) about BO's mods
« Reply #1502 on: April 29, 2016, 09:48:14 PM »
For No Trash memories, could you please add the "made best friends with XXX" and the BFF one so we can prevent them from being created?  Or done in a separate mod?

I know this request might sound stupid but when I make new hoods (which I seem to do a lot) and breed tons of sims for them, I usually make large groups all best friends to help move the speed breeding along and then I end up with all this memory spam. Yes, I can go in and delete them and I have been, but this would save me hours of 'memory clean up' time. 
I don't think the game even needs them (for counting) since after deleting them from some sims, I've gone back to find the count ones newly created (made XX amount of best friends) right in a row, with a couple new 'made best friends with XXX' memories and a larger count one following. 

I know I could just leave them but I dislike looking at a sims memories and seeing a wall of 'made best friends" and 'made a BFF' spam. 
TFM's Naughty Sims Asylum - home of my Sim stuff - SC4 Terrains, Sims, Hairy Skintones, Hoods and some clothes & stuff.

Online zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Superannuated Coffeeholic
    • Zephyr Zodiac @ 4-Shared
« Reply #1503 on: April 29, 2016, 10:11:47 PM »
Or maybe BO could delete them with NSL?
"All the world's a Neighbourhood, and all the men and women merely Sims."  ZephyrZodiac with apologies to Willie Waggledagger.

http://www.4shared.com/u/yCrnLoEP/Zephyr_Zodiac.html

Offline Sleepycat

• Resident Hairball
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • meow!
« Reply #1504 on: April 30, 2016, 12:36:03 AM »
ZZ, While I'd be happy with that, others may not.  With No Trash Memories it can easily be edited to turn the options on or off.
TFM's Naughty Sims Asylum - home of my Sim stuff - SC4 Terrains, Sims, Hairy Skintones, Hoods and some clothes & stuff.

Online zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #1505 on: April 30, 2016, 01:06:23 AM »
Oh, of course, I hadn't thought of that.  It was just I had a feeling BO was already working on an update to NSL.
"All the world's a Neighbourhood, and all the men and women merely Sims."  ZephyrZodiac with apologies to Willie Waggledagger.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #1506 on: April 30, 2016, 08:21:55 AM »
Yeah, deleting them with NSL is not an option, since NSL cannot be configured to the player's specs.
There were originally plans to include these memories in NTM, but I then decided against it, because they seem important to certain LTWs. But if your research suggests otherwise, I might look into it again, Sleepy. But I think I would ONLY take out the "Made a Best Friend" and "Made First BFF" memories, leaving the numbered ones in place. Well, at least that would greatly reduce the "walls of friend icons", agreed?

Offline Sleepycat

• Resident Hairball
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • meow!
« Reply #1507 on: April 30, 2016, 08:37:06 PM »
 :thumb:  The numbered ones don't bother me since there are only a few of them. 

I'm not positive the game doesn't need all the spam ones but it seemed that way to me.  I mainly want it for when creating a hood, not when I'm simply playing (I do hope to play once I finish my newest hood!), cause then I'm just getting the hood set up and don't care one bit about LTWs.  If it's off by default then I can turn it on when I need it on and then turn it back off, if I want.

Thank you very much for considering this.   :love:

Online zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #1508 on: April 30, 2016, 09:53:15 PM »
I think the BFFs are on a par with the Met so-and-so, and are recorded elsewhere.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #1509 on: May 01, 2016, 01:46:11 AM »
@Sleepycat: Ofcourse I will consider it, dear. Even if it's only to be able to say "No", I will at least need to *consider* it. But this one is a "yes". With respect to the settings: in a sense, that's how it would work, yeah. Though traditionally, I use the On state - 1 in the settings - as permission to write the memory. So that will be the default for this option, because most people - and I - will want it that way. And you can then switch it Off during the creation of your hood. :D

@zephyrzodiac: You are probably right! Like most things that show up in the *Memory* section, they also have their counterpart in the *History* section, I assume. The history section only records - for each individual sim - how many of each event have taken place, at which time, and if reward points were earned because a want got fulfilled. Keeping stuff from memory doesn't include keeping stuff from history. That's why gossip can't be stopped either. Even if all gossip memories are removed, sims continue to find stuff to blabber about.

In fact it may even be the case, especially with the later game engines (later EPs), that the counting of memories to record certain milestones was completely abolished in favor of just checking history and reading some tokens. Just like they have a simple token to record the number of abductions a sim has experienced.

Offline Sleepycat

• Resident Hairball
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • meow!
« Reply #1510 on: May 01, 2016, 08:22:09 AM »
Yeah, I got my on/off mixed up before.  :giggle:  Thank you!!   :cheese:

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
Re: Re: Questions (and Answers) about BO's mods
« Reply #1511 on: November 26, 2016, 03:44:40 AM »
UPDATE, November 26th, 2016 - BO - Less Toddler Annoyance: Ok, long time no see, but here he is again... lordtyger9 was running the game with BV as latest pack (on a Mac), and ran into an issue. Upon closer investigation, it appears that in 2012, when I updated the mod to run without AL/M&G, I omitted an update on the "Toss in Air" interaction.

As of today, that oversight is corrected, for both the normal and the NoFollow versions. The new releases will work if you have at least NL or better installed. However, they REQUIRE Cyjon's Smarter EP Check.

AL/M&G users do NOT need to re-download (although they still may)!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 03:47:59 AM by BoilingOil »

Offline MadamePhobia

• Drooling Diaperfiller
  • Has not found this setting yet :)
« Reply #1512 on: August 18, 2017, 02:04:49 PM »
Does your multi-PT mod replace the Maxis PT and if so, would that affect the alien sims that were already fathered by him? I'd like a bit of variety among my future alien kids, but obviously don't want anything to get borked.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 02:14:22 PM by MadamePhobia »

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #1513 on: August 19, 2017, 08:41:22 AM »
EVERY Multi-PT mod replaces the Default PT. And therefor, so does mine. :)

No, when the default PT is replaced by a downloaded replacement, that does not affect his children. Their genetics have already been set when they were born, and that will not change. Only NEW children will have the genes of the new PT. Nothing gets assimilated by the Bork. Your game will be perfectly safe!

Offline MadamePhobia

• Drooling Diaperfiller
  • Has not found this setting yet :)
« Reply #1514 on: August 19, 2017, 03:35:07 PM »
Yeah... that was probably a bit of a silly question, but I've seen a multi-PT pack somewhere at MTS that included the default PT and was a bit confused.
I know the sims' genetics are set at birth and won't change, I just wondered what would happen to their family trees - but now I know that as long as the sim file stays in place, everything is fine.

Thank you, I'm grabbing this mod then. :)

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #1515 on: August 20, 2017, 01:34:36 AM »
The family tree, you say... Will you believe that I honestly have no clue how that will work out? The best thing that I can say is: I have *never* seen or heard any complaints about how someone found his alien children's family trees broken after replacing alien defaults. So I guess that that's an indication that it won't be an issue.

Online zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #1516 on: August 20, 2017, 01:50:17 AM »
Does the replacement have the same GUID and character file number?  If so, I would think the pic of the replacement PT would simply overwrite the original.  So, in that case, while your sim may be a very fugly alien, at least his/her parent won't be!

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #1517 on: August 20, 2017, 05:00:18 AM »
If you create a replacement PT, ie. one that comes in the original PT's place, you can go only two ways:
1. The replacement gets the same GUID as the original, or
2. You also rewrite the BHAV that normally points at the PT's GUID, to make it refer to the replacement's GUID instead.
As far as I know, no creators so far have ever gone for option 2. So usually, the replacement indeed has the exact same GUID as the original.

But the character file number is almost certainly different. The original PT is created from one of EAxis' object files before the CC files are even considered. I assume that CC files containing a character will initiate creation of a new character file.

Online zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #1518 on: August 20, 2017, 09:32:38 AM »
So, it's the GUID that causes the overwrite of the parental photo - if indeed it does.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #1519 on: August 20, 2017, 03:50:06 PM »
I can imagine that that would indeed be the case.

But I've never seen that happen. And under normal circumstances it *should* not happen. Because in family trees and such, GUIDs are not used at all. Only Neighbor IDs which in turn point at character files. And that should come as no surprise, if you realize that only Pollination Technician, Ideal Plantsim and most Service NPCs have a GUID.
  • PT and IP are normally never seen running around in the 'hood at all. Their GUID is only used when they're required to father a new baby. If the game didn't need their picture for use in family trees, those sims would not even NEED a character file. Because they don't age; they don't skill; they simply never do anything at all that would need to be stored in that file!
  • The service NPCs don't usually show up in family trees, unless you move them into one of your households first. The GUIDs associated with them, are actually the GUIDs that belong to the Template file which contains the BHAVs for their core NPC behaviors. Like a Nanny Template for the Nannies, a Maid Template for the Maids, etc.
If someone has ever seen the parents of their half-alien kids misrepresented, that must have been a freak accident caused by replacing one replacement PT with another replacement PT and then removing the character file belonging to the old one. Then, if you try to show the family tree of one of the old PT's children, for lack of the correct character file, the game engine could possibly be tricked into using the new PT's file (or even the default maxis PT), because it has no other choice.

The only other thing I can think of, might be that corruption has started to creep in, or the hood was reset for whatever reason. But those should not be considered normal circumstances, of course.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 03:52:44 PM by BoilingOil »

Online zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #1520 on: August 20, 2017, 11:35:25 PM »
Oh, so it's more complicated than I thought.... and this would, in fact, apply to all the other NPCs such as the GR, even though when you first start a game, loads of townies, hobby sims, etc. appear to have relationships with them..... (I always remove those relationships...)

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #1521 on: August 21, 2017, 12:37:58 AM »
Indeed, and there is so much more to it, still. Because those Service NPCs (and yes, GR is one of them) *do* have a neighbor ID in addition to the GUID. After all, Service NPCs can become friends with your sims, so their portrait needs to be available for the relationship panels. Having a portrait means that there must be a character file for these sims. And as I said before, the character file is addressed through the neighbor ID.
Simplified, it goes a bit like: a sim's neighbor ID points at where some of his data is stored in the neighborhood.package. There we find his sim ID, which translates to an NXXX_User00xxx.package (character file name, with NXXX being the hood number), and there we find the information that we actually wanted (like the portrait, and some other things).

So it can get a little confusing at times. I'm not surprised that even the EAxians - who *invented* this method, nota bene - frequently screwed up when using it.

Online zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #1522 on: August 21, 2017, 12:43:03 AM »
Actually, EAxis inherited the system from Maxis (ie Will Wright and co.) so it's not surprising they didn't totally understand how it worked. 

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #1523 on: August 21, 2017, 07:26:14 AM »
Yeah, to me 'EAxis' means 'Maxis, both before and after it was taken over by EA'. Maybe I could (and should) have been more precise.

Because you're absolutely right. The crew that took over after EA's interference, was really not involved with the initial development of that code, and therefor cannot be expected to have fully understood what they were dealing with. If they had not caused WW to leave, things might have been different. But it's a bit late to start dwelling on that, isn't it? :)

Online zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #1524 on: August 21, 2017, 07:32:58 AM »
Just a bit!