Author Topic: I Really Want this, too....  (Read 336 times)

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Superannuated Coffeeholic
    • Zephyr Zodiac @ 4-Shared
I Really Want this, too....
« on: November 26, 2017, 02:51:09 AM »
OK, I am sick and tired of having to enable testing cheats every time one of my sims gets the want to play chess.  So, if anyone knows of a mod which will mean my sims get the want satisfied automatically, or is prepared to make one, I'd be very, very grateful!
"All the world's a Neighbourhood, and all the men and women merely Sims."  ZephyrZodiac with apologies to Willie Waggledagger.

http://www.4shared.com/u/yCrnLoEP/Zephyr_Zodiac.html

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • We'll jump off that bridge when we come to it.
    • Leefish
Re: I Really Want this, too....
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 01:18:12 PM »
I've been annoyed with similar low-paying achievements for a while too, now. But I've never considered finding or making a mod to combat those wants.
With some sims, I don't mind sending them to practice at a chess table. With others I don't waste time, and simply ignore the want, so it will eventually go away on its own.

I must admit, though, that it sounds like an interesting challenge to figure out the SimAntics code for "if a Sim rolls this specific want, satisfy it immediately by awarding that specific achievement."
And with a little smart coding, it could serve for multiple "want / achievement" combinations, not just the chess-related one. Imagine adding "when a sim rolls the want to hunt bugs, award them for catching a beetle". Or "If a sim wants to play bass/drums/guitar/piano, add the achievement for the appropriate instrument."
The next challenge would then be: how do I make it so, that it doesn't run for those sims that I actually want to see satisfying the want by really playing?

But that is all academic, as long as I'm not planning on taking SimPE down from high up that willow tree where I hung it.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 01:23:16 PM by BoilingOil »

"BO, Sir, you rock! :bow:" - TheISZ                           (banner design: eefje00704/Eva)

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 05:14:48 PM »
Oh, but I do actually want them to play chess, just to fulfil the want when they do...  sims in particular get so many low scoring wants, and I like to be able to satisfy as many as possible, since otherwise they soon end up in the red.  I've just downloaded a new mod from MTS, which changes *practise* to *play*, and I'm waiting now for a sim to get the want to see if the game recognises the term *play chess* and satisfies the want....
"All the world's a Neighbourhood, and all the men and women merely Sims."  ZephyrZodiac with apologies to Willie Waggledagger.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 06:00:04 PM »
Wait, are you saying that your sims do normally not get the want satisfied when practising?

"BO, Sir, you rock! :bow:" - TheISZ                           (banner design: eefje00704/Eva)

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2017, 06:01:56 PM »
Never.  It happens in different game configurations, too.  Each time they get the want, I have to use testing cheats to satisfy it.  It annoys me enough that I have to do that to satisfy bff wants (only one of the two get it satisfied automatically) and x goes to college wants which frequently aren't satisfied unless the sim in question actually moves into the same lot.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 06:03:48 PM by zephyrzodiac »

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 04:39:28 AM »
Oh, I think I'll have to see what happens in *my* game when I switch testing cheats off.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 08:37:12 AM »
Thank you for taking an interest, BO.

Offline mark93

• Talkative Toddler
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2017, 08:59:54 AM »
The more you satisfy types of wants the more they show up and fill up all wants slots and makes it harder to get the bigger payout wants.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2017, 10:57:33 AM »
Not when you lock the wants you want.... and as I said, with Pleasure sims, they get so few big wants!

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2017, 04:07:19 AM »
Yet I've found mark93's observation to be valid, too. If you fulfill a certain want type rather frequently (in an attempt to get rid of it), the sim seems to learn that that want is a good way to get Aspiration points. Soon, every slot that has not been locked will be re-rolled to show that specific want type.

On the other hand, I do agree that the really big wants for Pleasure sims are pretty scarce. With them you often have little choice but to try and satisfy dozens of tiny wants over and over to get anywhere. This is one of the reasons why I have not much love for the Pleasure Aspiration: it's a lot of work for very little gain.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2017, 05:00:21 AM »
But it's fun watching them freak out!

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2017, 11:33:47 AM »
:lol: Absolutely! In fact, sometime when I'm not feeling a connection with a specific sim, I may end up giving them the Pleasure aspiration. Simply because the horrible related wants will ultimately result in that sim throwing tantrums of frustration and going into aspiration distress. For me to do this kind of thing is very rare, because in general I love my sims too much to be this harsh on them, but it has been known to happen.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2017, 11:49:45 AM »
Well, I'm a lot nicer to my sims now than I used to be!  Maybe because in a well-modded game, sims are so much less likely to be annoying.... and there are such easy ways of dealing with those that are!

Offline Dark_Author

• Administrator
  • Whining Whelp
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2017, 09:05:26 PM »
Maybe the "play chess" wants only get fulfilled if two sims are playing.  Ive never noticed if it does with the single sim 'practice' action.

Click On Those, Please?

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2017, 09:30:52 PM »
For me it makes no difference, it never gets fulfilled, playing alone or with another sim.

Offline Dark_Author

• Administrator
  • Whining Whelp
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2017, 11:11:29 PM »
What about it being a mod conflict?

Click On Those, Please?

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2017, 11:26:41 PM »
I'm pretty sure I get it in a vanilla game, too.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2017, 03:58:06 AM »
Great news!  The Play Chess mod works, and they get the want as soon as they start to play!  So for anyone who has had similar problems, here's the link: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=393848

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2017, 09:01:54 AM »
Incredible! Obviously, this mod does more than just changing the text of the "Practice" menu option into "Play Chess". Because that change in itself should not affect the want-satisfaction.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2017, 12:52:18 PM »
True.  I thought I might post and let joninmobile know, but he doesn't do MTS and longer.  I'm wondering, though, if it's a matter of semantics, and for some reason the UK English version doesn't recognise *practise* but does recognise *play*.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2017, 02:03:51 PM »
The text that it shows in the menu, is there pure for the player's benefit. The engine isn't made to look at that, but instead gets an interaction code that should be the same among all localized versions of the game. It *is* possible, though, that an error slipped in which was never caught. Joninmobile might then just have fixed it unintentionally by translating from a version that *does* use the correct code for this menu option.

By the way, if memory serves me, joninmobile might also be known as TheNinthWave. In fact, I'm sure about that. And it might be possible that (s)he still appears at Leefish.nl, occasionally.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 02:05:49 PM by BoilingOil »

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2017, 02:12:31 PM »
I checked at The Ninth Wave, but it's a pretty confusing site, so I didn't bother to go any further with finding a way to tell him, but at least anyone coming here with the problem should now be able to find the answer.  And it will make my Pleasure sims, and those with the Games hobby, really happy!

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2017, 02:40:47 PM »
I had not even considered that they might have their own site as well. So I just checked that out myself now, and I must agree that it isn't the clearest of sites to navigate. :(
But indeed, this thread at least records a solution for future seekers. Thanks on their behalf!

anything