Author Topic: "The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection" available for free  (Read 19148 times)

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • We'll jump off that bridge when we come to it.
    • Leefish
Re: "The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection" available for free
« Reply #150 on: July 28, 2014, 03:02:35 PM »
If it were as clear-cut as a yes-or-no question, I'd vote to simply leave things the way they are. But the restriction on webmail addresses makes that it's not that simple. It complicates matters.

Every honest simmer should have a fair chance to register and/or otherwise access the data they require, but we do not need to be buried in suspected spammers. Alas, these requirements are not entirely compatible.

"BO, Sir, you rock! :bow:" - TheISZ                           (banner design: eefje00704/Eva)

Offline croiduire

• Toddling Tot
« Reply #151 on: July 28, 2014, 05:18:42 PM »
More feedback...
I have installed UC. I checked my registry for SecureROM; no sign of it. After chugging for a bit at start-up, SimPE located everything and is working fine. The only oddity (to me) so far is this pop-up:

Custom Content Browser ESRB Notice: Online interactions not rated by the ESRB. Do you wish to connect to thesims2.ea.com? (Y/N)

I don't recall ever seeing that before. Has it always been there, or is it new?

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #152 on: July 28, 2014, 06:21:53 PM »
One note here: if you actually searched for the phrase "SecureROM", I'm not surprised that you didn't find anything. The hated thing is named "SecuROM", which is a different string. I advise you to make sure that you searched for the correct phrase.

That ESRB Notice somehow reminds me of the Loader.exe thingy. That thing contained a small custom browser which always wanted to connect to thesims2.ea.com too. Maybe you could check what your game shortcut points at. If it's loader.exe, maybe you can make it point at TS2EP9.exe (or something similar) instead.

"BO, Sir, you rock! :bow:" - TheISZ                           (banner design: eefje00704/Eva)

Offline croiduire

• Toddling Tot
« Reply #153 on: July 28, 2014, 06:51:19 PM »
I typed regedit into search, then when the registry came up, looked for:

CmdLineExt.dll
CmdLineExt01.dll
CmdLineExt02.dll
CmdLineExt03.dll
CmdLineExt
CmdLineExt.exe
CmdLineContextMenu Class
CmdLineExtInstaller.exe
CmdLineExt.CmdLineContextMenu
CmdLineExt.CmdLineContextMenu.1
paull.dll
drm_dyndat_*.dll
drm_dialogs.dll
SecuExp.exe
CmdLineExt_x64.dll

Those are the only files the SecuRom removal tutorial I followed mentioned. Did I miss something?

Offline Orilon

• Toddling Tot
« Reply #154 on: July 28, 2014, 07:03:59 PM »
Did you search for the actual word "SecuROM" with that exact spelling?  That is how I found it in mine.

Offline croiduire

• Toddling Tot
« Reply #155 on: July 28, 2014, 07:50:06 PM »
Did you search for the actual word "SecuROM" with that exact spelling?  That is how I found it in mine.

Yes, that's where I started, doing a full search, not only in the registry.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #156 on: July 28, 2014, 07:55:17 PM »
A normal search will NOT search the registry, though. You must really go into regedit, and then search the registry for this SecuROM string.

Offline croiduire

• Toddling Tot
« Reply #157 on: July 28, 2014, 11:17:48 PM »
OK, further testing...
I checked again, and by using the SecuROM uninstaller (from the SecuROM site) found two undeletable (by that utility) stubs. Even trashreg didn't find anything else. So, I went into UC, as if I were going to play the game, and checked...and there it was in the registry, a full SecuROM install. I exited UC, deleted (via utility) SecuROM, again was left with the stubs, went back into UC, and SecuROM had repopulated. THAT seems to be the one element EA updated when they made UC. It does seem to be spyware, for whatever unfathomable reason.

Also, as I said earlier, with Aaroneous replacement expansions.xreg, SimPE recognised all the expansions just fine. However, when I tried to generate an objects list, all that showed up were the things in that lame holiday pack. Now that may be because I suck and did something wrong, so further testing is needed, but SimPE never did this to me before when I was using either real or virtual discs. If utterly reliable SimPE is having a case of hiccups that bad, methinks it's time to uninstall. Which is a bloody shame--I was really looking forward to playing again. Ahh, well...

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Superannuated Coffeeholic
    • Zephyr Zodiac @ 4-Shared
« Reply #158 on: July 28, 2014, 11:43:00 PM »
You know, if a criminal gang put such a program on your computer, and they were based in the US, Europe or other modern countries, and they were caught by the police, they would be charged with a crime.  So why, when Sony/EA do the same thing, does nothing happen.  Don't say they are somehow above the law - the Eurozone dealt quite firmly with Google.
"All the world's a Neighbourhood, and all the men and women merely Sims."  ZephyrZodiac with apologies to Willie Waggledagger.

http://www.4shared.com/u/yCrnLoEP/Zephyr_Zodiac.html

Offline croiduire

• Toddling Tot
« Reply #159 on: July 28, 2014, 11:53:19 PM »
They are not above the law, ZZ, they are the law. We in the US have lived in a plutocracy for a very long time; the belief that we are a Republic is a pleasant and comforting fiction, nothing more.

Offline Aaroneous

• Mushloving Mophead
  • What can change the nature of man?
« Reply #160 on: July 29, 2014, 12:43:58 AM »
croiduire did You update the paths SimPe points to for the SPs and EP? Because by default SimPe has them point at \Program Files\EA Games\EP or SP name. But EA the changed the paths with the Ultimate Collection. They should be something like this Program Files\Origin Games\The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection\EP or SP name.

You can find the path SimPe is pointing at by going to Extras, Then Preferences. From there find the tab System folders. Once there You should be able to find what path SimPe is pointing at and update them.

(Banner By Sugah)

Offline croiduire

• Toddling Tot
« Reply #161 on: July 29, 2014, 01:54:40 AM »
What is says exactly (copy-pasta) is:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection\ for all expansions and SPs.

Edit: And Origin, UC, and (finally!) SecuROM are uninstalled. FWIW, although the version of SecuROM EA used is impossible to remove using conventional methods, the SecuROM removal tool (from Sony) followed by Regdelnull (Microsoft) seems to have done the trick. I had no luck using TrashRegX64, but I only tried the freeware version.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 08:44:26 AM by croiduire »

Offline Kivak

• Talkative Toddler
« Reply #162 on: July 29, 2014, 10:23:31 AM »
Hey, this is a democracy!!! :giggle:

Bah!  Since when are websites a democracy?

Like every democracy it depends on who's eligible to vote.

That is so true
Kivak & Wolfie's Cove
http://simsasylum.com/tfm/index.php?/forum/70-kivak-and-wolfies-cove/
Sims 2 stories and houses, some clothes & Sims

Offline MaryH

• Tempermental Tyke
  • Otherwise known as Mary of H.
« Reply #163 on: July 29, 2014, 10:49:36 AM »
This page shows the listings of Securom in the registry-and as noted before, some of the entries are hidden: http://www.reclaimyourgame.com/content.php/387-Sims-2-Ultimate-Collection-and-SecuROM\

You can remove all of it by using either the tool listed in the article and Trash Reg. It seems to do the job.

It's just a shame though that EA never trusted anyone..to this day. We're the victims of their paranoia, and it damages both sides.

As much as I'd like to have gotten it, I realize now why I was so wary of it-EA has never been loath to put it's paws on anyone they deem a pirate, even for a game that they themselves have discontinued support for.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 03:25:13 AM by MaryH »

Offline Orilon

• Toddling Tot
« Reply #164 on: July 29, 2014, 11:08:37 AM »
I use a Freeware version of TrashReg and needed to "search for Null-embedded Keys" and have it remove the Null-embedding and then go back into regedit to get the last bit of SecuROM out of my registry.

At least there is/are program(s) to help us get rid of this crap.

Offline inspiredzone

• Toddling Tot
« Reply #165 on: July 29, 2014, 10:14:41 PM »
I'm building a new computer in a month or two and have my real game backed up, so I figured I would try. Hello, new Origin stalkers!

I have hard copies of all the EPs, but I'm missing a few SPs. I'm a completest and wanted to know what I was missing out on and if it's worth paying DOUBLE the original prices for hard copies. Really, what's the point of Seasons if I can't have Christmas?!

I'm not sure where people are getting that they need to uninstall their existing games. I didn't see that recommended anywhere. It just created a new "The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection" folder in the EA Games folder and left my original folder alone.

Not sure if I'll add it to my new computer. I want the stuff. And it's nice to know I'll have a back-up. But this computer is 6 years old and still in decent shape *knock wood* specifically because I kept it as "clean" as possible. I'd like to continue that with the next one.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #166 on: July 30, 2014, 01:09:39 AM »
To me, the point of Seasons is the weather and the gardening/farming. Christmas is only a few days a year, and as such not a big deal. I'm not redecorating all my sims' houses for a single day once every 20 sim days.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #167 on: July 30, 2014, 01:16:28 AM »
From what I remember of the Christmas content, the only thing worth having was the stereo!  The Christmas Tree would catch fire in the middle of the night so to keep your family safe you would need to get a Uni extinguisher and put it over each tree!
"All the world's a Neighbourhood, and all the men and women merely Sims."  ZephyrZodiac with apologies to Willie Waggledagger.

Offline inspiredzone

• Toddling Tot
« Reply #168 on: July 30, 2014, 06:34:38 AM »
I was kidding, I love Seasons as is. Remember the old school day after day of unending sunlight? Lame.

But I can see myself making the effort to celebrate for some households. Just like some households throw parties, go on vacation and group outings, while others come home from work, watch TV and go to bed.

Offline AncientHighway

• Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #169 on: July 30, 2014, 06:47:35 AM »
I don't know if it's still available, but user created holiday items are much better than that stuff pack anyway.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #170 on: July 30, 2014, 06:50:43 AM »
Agreed.  There are some beautiful trees out there which don't burst into flames when your family has gone to bed!

Offline arathea

• Tempermental Tyke
« Reply #171 on: July 30, 2014, 07:55:55 AM »
Is there a custom Santa too?
Arathea's Area@TFM's Naughty Sims Asylum

Offline amarathinee

• Drooling Diaperfiller
  • Has not found this setting yet :)
« Reply #172 on: July 30, 2014, 12:26:50 PM »
I'm a bit confused, what exactly was fixed in Aaroneous's file? More specifically, what was grayed out? I fixed the filepaths and done a few default replacements, recolours, ect. from several eps in the past few days without any issue.

Offline Aaroneous

• Mushloving Mophead
  • What can change the nature of man?
« Reply #173 on: July 30, 2014, 01:34:01 PM »
I fixed in issue that UC caused, Basically it changed the registry entries SimPe uses to detect what expansion and stuff pack are installed. The file paths are not the issue, They just have to be manually updated. What's wrong is the file table SimPe uses to find the different stuff and expansion packs is greyed and disabled if SimPe thinks the they aren't installed. The main problem from this issue is that the Object Workshop can only clone objects from the base game.

You can find the file table by going to Extras then Preferences. And finally click the File Table tab. From there You should be able to tell what expansion and stuff packs SimPe thinks are installed, Any that are greyed out SimPe thinks they are not installed.

(Banner By Sugah)

Offline LilSister

• Toddling Tot
    • LilSister's Sims Family Affair
« Reply #174 on: August 01, 2014, 06:17:40 AM »
My apologies - I thought I was contributing something useful. My mistake.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 12:05:36 PM by LilSister »

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #175 on: August 01, 2014, 07:31:24 AM »
The SimPE fix is merely Aaroneous' fix, copied and pasted.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #176 on: August 01, 2014, 07:41:27 AM »
Yeah, and Katzengirl, the one who posted it, even says that it was copied from Aaroneous here at Simbology. :-)

Offline Rich

• Drooling Diaperfiller
« Reply #177 on: August 02, 2014, 08:25:39 AM »
Would it be possible to get a little help with the SimPE fix by Aaroneous?... I installed the file and I'm a confused what I do after that...I'm trying to get all the memories to show up in SimPE, but only basegame memories are listed for editing. Can I get them all to show up? :)

Any help would be appreciated. :)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 08:33:46 AM by Rich »

Offline AncientHighway

• Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #178 on: August 02, 2014, 08:37:58 AM »
Would it be possible to get a little help with the SimPE fix by Aaroneous?... I installed the file and I'm a confused what I do after that...I'm trying to get all the memories to show up in SimPE, but only basegame memories are listed for editing. Can I get them all to show up? :)

Any help would be appreciated. :)

You probably need to update your paths.  Take a look at this post for how to do it.

Offline Rich

• Drooling Diaperfiller
« Reply #179 on: August 02, 2014, 09:56:13 AM »
I did that for myself and it worked flawlessly, I did it for my girlfriend and it did not, we double checked everything was the same across our versions of SimPE, she redownloaded SimPE and that didn't fix it either after she re-did the fix.

Unnecessary quote removed!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 11:56:30 AM by BoilingOil »

Offline mark93

• Talkative Toddler
« Reply #180 on: September 19, 2017, 05:34:29 PM »
Just to let everyone know EA is still giving away for free the UC, players over at MTS are still getting it today.

Ya, ya ya 3 years ya. :halo:

anything