Author Topic: TS3 posts  (Read 22297 times)

Offline Sleepycat

• Resident Hairball
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • meow!
TS3 posts
« on: July 19, 2009, 12:56:16 AM »

I don't care if your TS3 posts are requests, wants, info or whatever, they belong in the TS3 section.

TFM's Naughty Sims Asylum - home of my Sim stuff - SC4 Terrains, Sims, Hairy Skintones, Hoods and some clothes & stuff.

Offline zolabee

• Ellipsis...Queen
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Some days are just after you!
Re: TS3 posts
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 06:34:46 AM »
All goes back to the reading issue people have... :tongue: They just don't.

Thanks for pointing this out, Sleepy!

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Superannuated Coffeeholic
    • Zephyr Zodiac @ 4-Shared
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 07:17:39 AM »
But will it make any difference, I wonder?  The non-readers ignore stickies too..... :hmm:

But thanks for the hard job you must have had to track them down and move them! :thumb:
"All the world's a Neighbourhood, and all the men and women merely Sims."  ZephyrZodiac with apologies to Willie Waggledagger.

http://www.4shared.com/u/yCrnLoEP/Zephyr_Zodiac.html

Offline jjab73

• Queen of Typoland
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Love . Peace . Happiness
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 07:24:16 AM »
SC, are you able to create sections, like TJ does? I think it might help if we "Copy" the TS2 forum for TS3, so that it has it's own Want, and I Need, and Help sections.

Offline twojeffs

• Supreme Simbologist
  • Administrator
  • Tempermental Tyke
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 07:40:10 AM »
I figured that would be more confusing at this point, but could be wrong...
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Offline jjab73

• Queen of Typoland
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2009, 08:08:44 AM »
I guess its a matter of how people think.

As an example I can see how a person wanting to request something would look at their options and say "well it is for TS3, but it is a request, so do I choose TS3, or do I choose "request", and then end up posting in the request section...especially since out current request section is actually under "Downloads".

Now we can hope that they would choose downloads to see if maybe what they are looking for is already there, but what are the chances of that happening.

Offline Sleepycat

• Resident Hairball
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • meow!
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2009, 01:41:07 PM »

As far as I'm concerned

This is still a TS2 forum, it just has a small section for TS3. If those sections are there for TS3 then people will assume that twojeffs actually likes the game and will make mods/hacks for it.

If twojeffs changes his mind about TS3, then it will eventually become a TS2 & TS3 forum. 

When it comes right down to it, if twojeffs doesn't like TS3 at all, then he doesn't need to have any TS3 sections and we should be happy for the two we do have.

TFM's Naughty Sims Asylum - home of my Sim stuff - SC4 Terrains, Sims, Hairy Skintones, Hoods and some clothes & stuff.

Offline jjab73

• Queen of Typoland
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2009, 02:56:14 PM »
I was just making a suggestion SC. I am well aware that TJ does not have to put up a TS3 section..the thing is, he has, and so I thought that in order to alleviate some of the misspostings that has been happening, it might be easier to create more TS3 sections...that's it.

Offline Sleepycat

• Resident Hairball
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • meow!
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2009, 07:02:07 PM »
 :hug: 

Offline zolabee

• Ellipsis...Queen
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2009, 07:37:57 PM »
Even if this is a S2 forum only... I'll still be around...  this is one of my "homes"...

Offline kacidama

• BFBVFS
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2009, 02:48:38 AM »
kaci and LV are very happy that this will be a S2 forum (does happy dance and no longer feels left out)

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2009, 05:49:06 AM »
Hey, I'm not playing Sims 3 yet, either, although I admit I do have a copy, but since I've yet to install AL and M&G, plus a few other stuff packs, I think I've some mileage left in Sims 2!

BTW, Kaci, have you tried AH's little program for running themed games?  It includes renaming modular stair scripts, so you don't have to have 100s of unwanted custom stairs in each theme you are playing.  (Available on his site.)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 05:51:21 AM by zephyrzodiac »
"All the world's a Neighbourhood, and all the men and women merely Sims."  ZephyrZodiac with apologies to Willie Waggledagger.

Offline zolabee

• Ellipsis...Queen
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2009, 08:29:46 AM »
I have 3, but spent the weekend playing 2...  I'm not handling the change very well, or just don't like 3 very well.  Haven't decided yet.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2009, 09:04:19 AM »
It's the general ambivalence towards 3 that is part of the reason I'm reluctant to install it - also, the hours and hours I think I would need to spend getting it set up before I could even play it!

I think what would be very helpful would be a list of mods available, which are *essential* and which are more *an improvement* etc., with both a link and an evaluation of their usefulness......

Maybe each of the members here who are currently playing Sims 3 could do one each?  I know there are discussion threads, and a downloads section, but just a thread dealing specifically with mods, and what they do, and whether they are worth installing, etc., might be useful for those of us who weren't *in at the beginning*.

Offline Rosewin

• Talkative Toddler
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2009, 03:08:15 AM »
I have played 3 for a little while and I am with TJ, I cant warm to them. There is just something about the sims that does not keep me interested. I canít put my finger on it ether. I can play 3 for an hour or so and it is fun but just a game. Whereas I can play 2 for a whole day and get sad that I have to shut it down and go to bed. I'm glad this site is staying 2. Itís a nice little refuge for us non conformists.  :cheese:
You can find my stories here.
Crazy Town

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2009, 03:54:38 AM »
I wonder if it's something to do with the lack of Will Wright at the game's inception?  Both 1 and 2 had his input, 2 only at the beginning, of course - but that's when the sim behaviour, personality etc. was basically formed - while 3 is just Toy Story.....

Offline doren

• Whining Whelp
    • Sim Stories
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2009, 04:15:55 AM »
I wonder if it's something to do with the lack of Will Wright at the game's inception?  Both 1 and 2 had his input, 2 only at the beginning, of course - but that's when the sim behaviour, personality etc. was basically formed - while 3 is just Toy Story.....

Or others like Tim LeTourneau. At least he played the game and knew the sims in it. The sims from the "original families" featured in Sims 3 only have the same name, there is no reference and no connection to the previous games. As a Sims 1 player you will remember Gunther and Cornelia Goth and no way has he ever been a long haired hippie with a hat. They were stuffy characters.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2009, 05:45:25 AM »
They were indeed!

I just think the people who coded and prepared Sims 3 just regarded it all as their job, and had no real interest in it, or the game, at all!  The inclusion of so much that for both 1 and 2 were EP material just leads me to believe they wanted as many selling points as possible.  I just hope they abandon it and start working on Sims 4, with advice from experienced and enthusiastic simmers to give them a better idea of what people really want from the game - but no doubt there will be the expected 7 expansions first.....

Offline gypsylady

• Tempermental Tyke
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2009, 06:34:53 AM »
I gave Sims 3 a fighting chance. I bought it, installed it and played it exclusively for a month.I missed my sims2 simmies the whole time. My computer did a belly flop the other day and I have to use this older one until I can afford a new one, this one will not play sims at all so I am simless for now.I am like some of the others who have played Sims 3 I just can't get into it,it was ok but I can't put my finger on what it is that turns me off about it.I won't be reinstalling on my new system unless one of the expansions improve it quite a bit.
I'm the kind of woman that when my feet hit the floor each morning the devil  says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2009, 07:09:55 AM »
I hope you had everything backed up, gypsylady! 

Offline gypsylady

• Tempermental Tyke
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2009, 07:37:57 AM »
Yes ZZ My sims are living quite comfortably on my external drive as is all of my custom content. I also had my games installed on another hard drive so all I have to do is reinstall the game then put my sims 2 folder back in. Learned my lesson early on in sims 2 to make multiple backups saved in several places. :cheese:
I'm the kind of woman that when my feet hit the floor each morning the devil  says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Offline VRevis

• AKA Q-Glam, AKA yada yada...yeah.
  • Talkative Toddler
    • A Cuppa Joe
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2009, 08:09:50 AM »
I have played 3 for a little while and I am with TJ, I cant warm to them. There is just something about the sims that does not keep me interested. I canít put my finger on it ether. I can play 3 for an hour or so and it is fun but just a game. Whereas I can play 2 for a whole day and get sad that I have to shut it down and go to bed.

Same here. I have Sims 2 running, right now. I loaded up Sims 3 yesterday long enough to make the, what, 100th attempt at recreating some of my Sims 2 characters, but shut the game down less than 5 minutes after moving them into their house. It's almost depressing.  :P

I think ZZ and Doren have a good point with the history not being there. It doesn't feel like the logical next step for the Sims franchise, it feels like a step away from it, with all the old stories gone. :-/

Offline gypsylady

• Tempermental Tyke
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2009, 08:48:16 AM »
I think what it is for me anyway is Sims 3 sims just don't seem to have any personality.Even with the trait factor they just seem so mundane to me. I have sims2 sims that are downright bull headed about certain things.Dina Caliente hated to make the bed, she would look at me like really, you want me to do what? She would stomp up the stairs and then literally flip the bed covers up, unlike some others who would make the bed and pat the covers and smooth them. My sims have attitudes.

Offline Zirconia Wolf

• Queen of the Cross-Post
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Reticulated MoonBat Queen
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2009, 08:54:23 AM »
Just happy to know that (for once) I'm not alone!

I thought TS3 might have been kinda cool (liked the idea of the personality traits & such) but when I found out that EAxis even did a way with the memories of all things, I said screw it.

It's bad enough you can only have one family, can't stop the aging, have NASTY looking larva babies & rubbery icky looking Sims...but for the love of all that's holy, why on earth do a way with the memories???

Oh yeah: the Sims is no longer about creativity (as per Rod Humble) it's just a game for 12s.

Stupid me.

Guess all the $$$$ I & the thousands of other over-12s have shelled out over the TS1 & 2 years doesn't mean squat when compared to a @#$% 12 year old with the attention span of a mayfly.  :dry:

As for the possible TS4: unless there is a serious intervention (like a hostile take over by Will Wright) I predict that it will be strictly on-line. It's EAxis's wet-dream: no modders, no user made CC, no way to install/play/do anything without them knowing/approving it...and they could charge you every time you launched the game if they wanted to! (I think I hear Mr. Humble getting turned on just thinking about it...) 
~ Long Live All Wild Canines! ~
~ Sims 1 & 2 Forever! Sims 3 or 4? Never!! ~
~ Queen Of The Great InTeen Moon-Bat Revolution ~

Offline zolabee

• Ellipsis...Queen
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2009, 09:09:38 AM »
 :lol: That was an excellent summation!  ZW, they are targeting the wrong people.  Twelves don't have the money and once they're tired of it move on to another game.  Serious simmers are a whole nother species altogether and it's our money that's being spent on EPs. 

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2009, 09:18:21 AM »
I think it's something to do with SimCitySocieties - they couldn't make that pay, so they thought, let's try making The Sims 3 as if you were playing Societies, but with the ability to go into the houses and play the sims in them..... the graphics even, to me, look like Societies!  I really couldn't get into that, and I just feel I wasted my money.....

Offline zolabee

• Ellipsis...Queen
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2009, 09:23:27 AM »
Well, if things don't start looking up with 3 I'm going to start feeling that way myself.   :P

Offline gypsylady

• Tempermental Tyke
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2009, 09:30:42 AM »
As it stands right now I will take my long loading times for sims 2 over sims 3.I haven't really found anything in sims 3 that I truly like.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2009, 09:35:41 AM »
Gypsylady, why not try playing different themes, since you are setting up again anyway?  That way, you still have all your cc, but not all in one place.... lowers the loading time!  And Ancient Highway has made a little program to do the renaming for you and it's available, with full instructions, at his site.  (Renames your modular stairs scripts, too, so you can select which stairs you have in which theme.)

Offline Zirconia Wolf

• Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2009, 09:45:31 AM »
AH's program scares me a bit (I'm intimidated by scripts) but the more I think about it, the more I think I would like it. I'm re-setting soon (just about done with my final go-around of skinning & such) and that would be the best time to try it I would think.

It would be nice to have some one-theme hoods instead of trying to "explain" why the playables are all wearing one style of clothes while the townies aren't!

Offline gypsylady

• Tempermental Tyke
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2009, 09:50:17 AM »
Gypsylady, why not try playing different themes, since you are setting up again anyway?  That way, you still have all your cc, but not all in one place.... lowers the loading time!  And Ancient Highway has made a little program to do the renaming for you and it's available, with full instructions, at his site.  (Renames your modular stairs scripts, too, so you can select which stairs you have in which theme.)

I have been thinking about doing that.Will have to check out AH's program,as soon as I can get a new system.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2009, 12:40:14 PM »
It's really great - the only time now I need to rename *by hand* is if I want to run any programs like SimPE directly onto the game version I've been playing.  HCDU, luckily, seems to work while the game is running.....

It took me a little while to set the file up, as I'm not very good with Dos programs, but once I got it right, it's made a big difference.

Another thing I do, which I think helps with load times, is I put all my walls, floors, roofs and terrain paints outside the Downloads folder.  They work perfectly well from just inside the The Sims 2 folder, and just seems more logical to me - in Sims 1 walls and floors were, if I remember correctly, put separately from objects and clothing.

Offline doren

• Whining Whelp
    • Sim Stories
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2009, 12:42:02 PM »
:lol: That was an excellent summation!  ZW, they are targeting the wrong people.  Twelves don't have the money and once they're tired of it move on to another game.  Serious simmers are a whole nother species altogether and it's our money that's being spent on EPs.

I think you coined it very well when you explained that you play it as a throwaway game and I assume that some of the detachment players feel is coming from that. I think I need a long-term relationship with my sims.

However, reading many opinions there were more than a few who stated: "This is shit, let's buy the next expansion to see if it gets any better" (at a time when they don't even know what will be in it!) and I asked myself how EA is to notice that they don't like what they got when they keep buying.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2009, 12:45:31 PM »
They could try listening......

Offline doren

• Whining Whelp
    • Sim Stories
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2009, 12:47:45 PM »
Another thing I do, which I think helps with load times, is I put all my walls, floors, roofs and terrain paints outside the Downloads folder.  They work perfectly well from just inside the The Sims 2 folder, and just seems more logical to me - in Sims 1 walls and floors were, if I remember correctly, put separately from objects and clothing.

How many walls, floors etc. do you have (roughly)? And do you still keep them in subfolders?

Offline doren

• Whining Whelp
    • Sim Stories
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2009, 12:51:56 PM »
They could try listening......

Yes. Financial loss seems to increase the willingness to do that.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2009, 01:57:49 PM »
The number of walls/floors etc that I have seems to depend on which theme I am running, and what I have that fits in (I have 1000s that I haven't even put into my game yet....) but yes, subfoldering works perfectly.  I think this was something they did when they issued NL, I started doing it then and have done so ever since.  I also run the compressorizer through them occasionally, doesn't totally keep sets together, but it does seem to help.  I do miss how in Sims 1 you could keep them together by price, though!  I also miss Paladin's SimWallCat - it was so much easier to use than JFade's WFTE!

Offline Zaleth

• Talkative Toddler
  • Yep this is the real me!
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2009, 06:26:20 AM »
I like both games and I play both games.  Sims 2 I will never stop playing it has a lot of things I wish EA would have put into Sims 3 however, I really like Sims 3 with the epic aging I never have to set them to aging off. I like the fact we can customize almost every thing in the game, The traits system, and the way we can choose what they do at work.  I do however think that for a "latest version" they watered it down to much by leaving out key things the die hard Sim 2 fans liked. 

I will say that Pes's Awesome Mod has made Sim 3 three much better to play than the "vanilla game" as you guys call it. One advantage is he has put in aging like the sims 2 for those that wish to have that along with ways to keep your house from advancing when you wish to play another house.   Chaavik's mods are helpful on those pesky things that take a load of time to do and Marhis has two mods that help with friendship and relationships. 

I also love the fact that some of my favorite creators are actually out there creating items, clothing and hair for the Sims 3.  Lianna has a Sims 3 site with custom clothing and shoes. 

I for one am glad TJ allowed us to have a small section for Sims 3.  It does not have to be a combined site for me.  The small section is fine and lets face it a lot of us also visit Crazy Town so between the two I can get most of my info for 3.  I know a lot of people do not like to post at MATY and I fully understand why, but, read whats there I have learned a lot by simply reading what I needed and even got custom items over there.

Well that is my 2 cents for what it is worth!  :P

Just when you thought it was safe to open the door you find "Murphy" standing there unscrewing the handle!
My Creations are at:
http://simsasylum.com/tfm/index.php?/forum/131-zaleths-little-corner-of-the-asylum/

Offline Zirconia Wolf

• Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2009, 08:24:28 AM »
I have no particular issue with TS3...except if it means that TJ will join the mass-exodus of modders who ditched TS2 the second that abomination damn game game out.

There are now several unfinished/un-updated TS2 mods floating in limbo at MTS2 & other sites that will never be "fixed" as their creators have both sworn to kill keep anybody else from taking them over & have ditched TS2 for TS3. (All the while bitching about how crappy it is I might add....)

I hate to think that Simbology will go the same way... :unsure:

Doren: the "this-sucks-so-let's-buy-the-next-EP" mentality of many in the TS3 crowd is seriously mind boggling. When I first stumbled onto TS1 I bought only the "Deluxe" edition (only base-game version available at the time) & Unleashed (my reason for trying it in the first place) & went home to see what all the fuss was about.

2 hours later I was back at the store to buy every remaining EP, not to "fix" it but because I was completely & utterly hooked. In fact, in all my game-playing life I have never even conceived of buying a sequel/expansion to a game I thought sucked in the first place. Any "sucky" games were simply unceremoniously stripped off my computer & chalked up to an amusing learning experience...not obsessed over & thrown more money at.

(Before anybody freaks, let me point out that this was a dig at the herds of idiot sheep who are ready to mindless swallow anything EAxis rams down their throats, NOT the players who are actually enjoying TS3 & are awaiting an expansion as an enhancement & not a "fix".)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 12:40:09 PM by Zirconia Wolf »

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2009, 09:19:51 AM »
I happened to notice over at Blacky's that, whereas there is just one section for Sims 2 (which if you aren't careful sucks in all the Sims 3 stuff as well) they now have, as well as a Sims 3 section, yet another separate section for the expansion, just as if it was a completely separate game! 

I just wish they would spend a little time sorting their Sims 2 section so you could find stuff just a little more easily!

Offline Zirconia Wolf

• Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2009, 12:42:29 PM »
Blacky's site is a bizarre thing.

On one hand (paw) I love the stuff I see there...but on the other, I can never seem to find what I am actually looking for!

I think I will just need to spend a day going through it bit by bit & download everything I see that remotely interests me....

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2009, 12:53:13 PM »
You mean a week!  There's around 15,000 downloads there, it's one of those *Topsy* sites!

anything