Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General Sims 2 Help and Support / Vampire toddler
« Last post by zephyrzodiac on August 22, 2017, 07:01:23 AM »
A family in my hood had twins.  The girl is fine, but the boy, at some point in his toddlerhood, suddenly became a vampire.  No vampires in my hood, and the family don't even live Downtown.  However, he has nearly died from motive depletion countless times, upping motives with the Sim Blender would only work for a short time (about ten sim minutes), I tried deleting him more than once, nothing worked.  Finally I checked him in SimPE and not only had he the vampire trait but three of the decay modifiers were set to zero (should just be one for a toddler).  I managed to grow him up to a child, and he now has a very peculiar picture, with arms spread out as and generally larger than a child should be.

Any idea what is going on here?
Questions & Answers / Re: Questions (and Answers) about BO's mods
« Last post by zephyrzodiac on August 21, 2017, 07:32:58 AM »
Just a bit!
« Last post by BoilingOil on August 21, 2017, 07:26:14 AM »
Yeah, to me 'EAxis' means 'Maxis, both before and after it was taken over by EA'. Maybe I could (and should) have been more precise.

Because you're absolutely right. The crew that took over after EA's interference, was really not involved with the initial development of that code, and therefor cannot be expected to have fully understood what they were dealing with. If they had not caused WW to leave, things might have been different. But it's a bit late to start dwelling on that, isn't it? :)
« Last post by zephyrzodiac on August 21, 2017, 12:43:03 AM »
Actually, EAxis inherited the system from Maxis (ie Will Wright and co.) so it's not surprising they didn't totally understand how it worked. 
Unfortunately, TJ never got around to rewriting the manual.  I'm glad you managed to sort something out, though, and really, if you want a sim to have a baby, it doesn't take long to alter the odds.
« Last post by BoilingOil on August 21, 2017, 12:37:58 AM »
Indeed, and there is so much more to it, still. Because those Service NPCs (and yes, GR is one of them) *do* have a neighbor ID in addition to the GUID. After all, Service NPCs can become friends with your sims, so their portrait needs to be available for the relationship panels. Having a portrait means that there must be a character file for these sims. And as I said before, the character file is addressed through the neighbor ID.
Simplified, it goes a bit like: a sim's neighbor ID points at where some of his data is stored in the neighborhood.package. There we find his sim ID, which translates to an NXXX_User00xxx.package (character file name, with NXXX being the hood number), and there we find the information that we actually wanted (like the portrait, and some other things).

So it can get a little confusing at times. I'm not surprised that even the EAxians - who *invented* this method, nota bene - frequently screwed up when using it.
I think something about the process is just... too complex for me, especially since any instructions are mostly based on ACRv1... but there is good news! I tried installing ACRv2 as is (instead of my edit, which is... clearly broken) and setting the global odds override (I set it to 80%) and that works fine for autonomous TFB so far in my testing (despite the sims in question having 0% because they're, like, over 100 days old by the time they hit teen), so I'll just... do that. The declining fertility may be more realistic but all I really need is autonomous fertility. I may set it a bit lower for actual gameplay, though- 80% on a lifespan this long may lead to too many kids XD

Thank you all for trying to help, by the way.
« Last post by zephyrzodiac on August 20, 2017, 11:35:25 PM »
Oh, so it's more complicated than I thought.... and this would, in fact, apply to all the other NPCs such as the GR, even though when you first start a game, loads of townies, hobby sims, etc. appear to have relationships with them..... (I always remove those relationships...)
« Last post by BoilingOil on August 20, 2017, 03:50:06 PM »
I can imagine that that would indeed be the case.

But I've never seen that happen. And under normal circumstances it *should* not happen. Because in family trees and such, GUIDs are not used at all. Only Neighbor IDs which in turn point at character files. And that should come as no surprise, if you realize that only Pollination Technician, Ideal Plantsim and most Service NPCs have a GUID.
  • PT and IP are normally never seen running around in the 'hood at all. Their GUID is only used when they're required to father a new baby. If the game didn't need their picture for use in family trees, those sims would not even NEED a character file. Because they don't age; they don't skill; they simply never do anything at all that would need to be stored in that file!
  • The service NPCs don't usually show up in family trees, unless you move them into one of your households first. The GUIDs associated with them, are actually the GUIDs that belong to the Template file which contains the BHAVs for their core NPC behaviors. Like a Nanny Template for the Nannies, a Maid Template for the Maids, etc.
If someone has ever seen the parents of their half-alien kids misrepresented, that must have been a freak accident caused by replacing one replacement PT with another replacement PT and then removing the character file belonging to the old one. Then, if you try to show the family tree of one of the old PT's children, for lack of the correct character file, the game engine could possibly be tricked into using the new PT's file (or even the default maxis PT), because it has no other choice.

The only other thing I can think of, might be that corruption has started to creep in, or the hood was reset for whatever reason. But those should not be considered normal circumstances, of course.
« Last post by zephyrzodiac on August 20, 2017, 09:32:38 AM »
So, it's the GUID that causes the overwrite of the parental photo - if indeed it does.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10