Author Topic: Find error in Easel Limit  (Read 333 times)

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Superannuated Coffeeholic
    • Zephyr Zodiac @ 4-Shared
Find error in Easel Limit
« on: February 11, 2018, 03:12:41 PM »
A while ago I mentioned that my sims could not get any A&C enthusiasm from the easel, nor did using the easel trigger the LTW.  I recently accidentally removed the complete folder of AH's mods, and suddenly the enthusiasm was working properly.  I found the missing folder and replaced it, and the A&C enthusiasm once more disappeared, to return only when I removed the specific mod ah_EaselLimit.

Now, if AH was still around, I would obviously ask him about this, but since he is not, and I would really like to be able to use this mod, can anyone help me to find the code that is causing the lack of enthusiasm to extend to teens and adults, when it should only really affect kids?

To save people having to hunt the mod down, I am uploading it here.

"All the world's a Neighbourhood, and all the men and women merely Sims."  ZephyrZodiac with apologies to Willie Waggledagger.

http://www.4shared.com/u/yCrnLoEP/Zephyr_Zodiac.html

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • We'll jump off that bridge when we come to it.
    • Leefish
Re: Find error in Easel Limit
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 07:59:13 AM »
I've taken a look and so far, I see nothing that should impose a limit on anyone other than children. But I may need to look at other BHAVs that interact with this one to be sure.
In the meantime, ZZ, I'd like to know if there are any mods that this package conflicts with. And if so, I may need to know which one they are.

"BO, Sir, you rock! :bow:" - TheISZ                           (banner design: eefje00704/Eva)

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 10:13:13 AM »
Nothing shows up with HCDU, and there isn't a problem with the other mods in the series, such as the telescope limit.  I do have Cyjon's hobby age limit mod, but that only shows a conflict with tuna's enthusiasm core package, and doesn't appear to be a problem in my game. I just know that with the easel limit mod in game,
there is no gain in enthusiasm for even the most dedicated artist when using the easel, whatever age they are, and as soon as I remove it, enthusiasm is gained as a normal rate, and new artists immediately get the enthusiasm pop up.
"All the world's a Neighbourhood, and all the men and women merely Sims."  ZephyrZodiac with apologies to Willie Waggledagger.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 11:13:15 AM »
There is the possibility of a hidden conflict: if a BHAV in another mod calls the one in AH's mod, or is called by it, HCDU may not see a conflict because both mods edit different BHAVs. But together they could still cause trouble.

So I would suggest that just for a test, you try putting AH's mod in, and take all other skill/enthusiasm mods out.
If the problem disappears, there must be a hidden conflict. Then we will need to figure out which of the other mods secretly interacts with AH's mod.
If the problem remains, though, then someone (probably me) should dig deeper into AH's mod and how or why it differs from the default BHAV.

"BO, Sir, you rock! :bow:" - TheISZ                           (banner design: eefje00704/Eva)

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 12:45:46 PM »
OK, next time I load the game I'll do that.  Thanks, BO.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 07:05:50 PM »
OK. took out all that stuff, replaced easel limit, and had a sim paint for hours and hours,
and no gain whatsoever in enthusiasm, while other members of the family were gaining enthusiasm rapidly.  However, visits from hobby sims is driving me mad, so I'm now going to put all those mods back, and take out easel limit once again.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 03:39:27 AM »
OK, so we have made certain that it's not a hidden conflict with other skill/enthusiasm mods.

Do you have any custom Easels?

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 04:01:10 AM »
No, just recolours of the original BG easel.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2018, 07:47:40 AM »
OK, in that case I'll need to dive into the default painting BHAVs, and see if I can find a reason for the mod to act like this.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2018, 09:58:07 AM »
BO, you're a star!  Thank you so much for doing this.  I can edit my sims with no problems, and a few items like walls and floors, even the occasional bed, but this stuff is just way beyond me!  I try looking at all those numbers etc., and just can't see what is going on at all.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2018, 08:38:41 AM »
Ok, I think I've found the culprit. AH's mod is based on pre-FT code, and thus doesn't include enthusiasm at all. Running that code on FT or later packs is bound to cause some issues.

Try the below file instead of AH's version. I think it should work.

NOTE: Be aware that I altered the filename. So you need to remove AH's original file yourself.

Attachment removed; it's now available in AH's section on this board.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 05:16:54 PM by BoilingOil »

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2018, 01:37:31 PM »
Thanks, BO!  I'll stick it in my hacks folder straight away, and report back when I've checked it out.  I wonder why he did that, though, since the other limit mods work fine as far as I can tell.  Maybe he made that before FT was released, then made the others afterwards?

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2018, 03:28:39 AM »
Yeah, I think this was made before FT was released, and he never got around to checking/updating it for FT.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2018, 03:10:44 PM »
Works beautifully, BO.  I suggest it should be added to AH's mods so other people can find it. (Due credit being given, of course.)

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2018, 05:07:26 PM »
Sounds good to me, ZZ. I'm glad it works as it should. Thanks for the heads-up, ZZ :)

(Evidently, I still got it, even after a few years of inactivity...)

Edit: upload has been removed from this thread and added here.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 05:19:51 PM by BoilingOil »

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2018, 08:12:01 PM »
Great, except it was enthusiasm that wasn't gained, not skill points.... but I'm sure you can change that.
Glad to know you still have the modder's touch.

Thanks again for making the adjustment to this mod.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2018, 08:53:41 PM »
Fixed! Now suddenly, it makes a bit more sense to me, too. (I'm ashamed... how could I make that mistake? :blush:) Them not gaining enthusiasm would be the most logical result of using a pre-FT mod.
Yeah, it is great that I can still do such little updates.
And you're perfectly welcome, ZZ. Glad I could help! It's mainly because of you that I started modding in the first place! So if I wouldn't do this for you, who else am I doing it for?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 08:58:30 PM by BoilingOil »

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2018, 11:26:18 PM »
I hate to tell you this, BO, but something seems to be wrong. With AH's original in place, sim kids could use the easel but couldn't gain more than 2 or 3 skill points (forget which) but could still paint.  However, this is now happening, but only to kids.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2018, 03:57:17 AM »
OK, sorry about that. The top one of these errors isn't helping, but I'll check out what gives with the other two.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2018, 04:32:36 AM »
Thanks, BO.  BTW, I did try replacing the easel in case it was the easel that was borked, but it had no effect.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2018, 07:53:40 AM »
No, I'm sure there is some kind of trouble with the code. Alas, at this moment I'm unsuccessful in determining where the fault lies. I'll keep looking, but it may take a while.

anything