Author Topic: Sim can't use cellphone.  (Read 225 times)

Offline aussieone

• Mushloving Mophead
Sim can't use cellphone.
« on: February 10, 2018, 02:28:40 PM »
I have a teen Sim who, whenever they use their cellphone, an error pops up.

They can make a booty call with the Sim Blender and use their cellphone okay that way, but not to call friends/sims.

Error log attached.

ETA: As soon as the sim made a booty call and he came over, she is able to call friends again on her cellphone. Weird... but if you want to take a look at the error log BO, I'd appreciate it. Just in case theere's something strange going on and it happens again.  :smile:

« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 03:14:18 PM by aussieone »

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • We'll jump off that bridge when we come to it.
    • Leefish
Re: Sim can't use cellphone.
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 04:21:11 PM »
Hi aussieone,

I see an "Invalid Constant" error show up where it should not be, but it is hard to say how or why that happened there. There is not enough context for me to work with at this moment. What the error notification on the screen said, might have helped. But it's not a big loss yet.

Just keep an eye out for when something similar happens again, and then attach that object-error as well. But then also tell us what the notification said. Maybe with one or two more, we get a better grip on why it happens and if it can be fixed.

"BO, Sir, you rock! :bow:" - TheISZ                           (banner design: eefje00704/Eva)

Offline aussieone

• Mushloving Mophead
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 10:37:01 PM »
Here you go, BO. I had another sim have the same problem. Notification screen pic attached.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 11:38:53 AM by aussieone »

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 06:56:49 AM »
I thought I asked for the error log as well. Guess I wasn't using my words...

Alas, the picture tells us nothing that isn't in the error log itself. Well, at least w've learned that much. Thank you!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 06:58:29 AM by BoilingOil »

"BO, Sir, you rock! :bow:" - TheISZ                           (banner design: eefje00704/Eva)

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Superannuated Coffeeholic
    • Zephyr Zodiac @ 4-Shared
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 08:52:42 AM »
Have you tried running the HCDU to make sure there isn't a hack conflict that could be causing this?
"All the world's a Neighbourhood, and all the men and women merely Sims."  ZephyrZodiac with apologies to Willie Waggledagger.

http://www.4shared.com/u/yCrnLoEP/Zephyr_Zodiac.html

Offline aussieone

• Mushloving Mophead
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 11:41:25 AM »
Edited my last post to include error log for that sim. Guess I didn't read your words thoroughly.

ZZ, I used the HCDU. There's nothing new showing up that I can see, other than the usual conflicts which can be resolved by loading some last etc.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 12:56:04 PM »
It was just a thought.... does this only ever apply to teens?

I'm wondering if this has something to do with the phonehack, or some other mod that affects cellphones.

If you remove the teen's cellphone with the blender or the college adjuster, can they make a booty call with the landline?
"All the world's a Neighbourhood, and all the men and women merely Sims."  ZephyrZodiac with apologies to Willie Waggledagger.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 07:39:33 AM »
And another question: if it is only certain teens that throw this error, do these teens already have a 'One' according to ACR? Or do they even have a gender preference set at all? Because it might be that they're at the point where they might like to make that call, but the system cannot find anyone for them to call. When that happens, the system *does* throw odd curve balls such as hard-to-pin-down errors.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2018, 11:00:24 AM »
Is the adjuster on the lot?  I think teens, like elders, can only do ACR stuff if the adjuster is present.

Offline aussieone

• Mushloving Mophead
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2018, 02:46:28 PM »
ZZ, it has only allied to two teens so far.

I've had a phone mod by Pescado in the game for years with no problems, so I don't think that's the problem but I must admit, since playing sims on Windows 10 instead of XP, there's been some strange glitches in my game, so that could be an issue also.

I took their cellphones away and it still threw an error using the landlines, so there's a definite issue with phone usage no matter which type.

BO, no, these teens don't have a 'one' yet, nor a gender preference so maybe that could be an issue.

ZZ, the adjuster is on the lot, so no problem there.

The other day when I asked for BO's help with lots, perhaps a mod snuck in somewhere while I wasn't looking, so I'll run the HCDU one more time and take another close look.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2018, 04:09:06 PM »
I think if W10 was the problem, all your sims would be glitched.  Have you tried resetting the problem sims?  Or deleting them and exiting/reloading the lot?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 04:06:32 AM by zephyrzodiac »

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2018, 03:28:21 AM »
I've had odd issues where ACR decided it was time for certain teens to make a booty call where nobody was available, simply because they had not interacted in a romantic fashion with anyone yet; their gender preference was not yet defined, and there was nobody they even had any bolts for. ACR --and the system in general-- don't quite know how to deal with that situation. In most of the cases, the sim would either throw an odd error, or call someone inappropriate for the event.
Often, the only way to fix that was to make sure that the sim had a gender preference before this issue came up. Either by using the mechanisms provided on the ACR adjuster, or by having the sim flirt or be flirted with, successfully or otherwise.
In a few isolated cases, though, the issue never comes up. If a sim has sufficient opportunities to pursue their hobbies, for example, the system will not need to grasp at straws to keep them busy.

It's also certain that W10 and Origin are currently seriously hindering factors. Lots of people see their game act up since the v1709 windows update. But those people usually don't even get a chance to play anymore, because the game CTDs long before that point in the load sequence is reached. So that is not what's going on here, at least...

But making sure that there are no relevant mod conflicts, is always a good way to start.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2018, 04:13:06 AM »
In my current game I have totally banned teen woohoo, they need all their time for teen jobs and skilling so they can afford college.  YAs are normally not allowed to get involved until the third year, and no living together until they graduate and return to the neighbourhood!  Only problem I've found is I've not kept count of numbers, and had a real shortage of male teens/YAs!  (I do have a few romance sims who got the *go steady* want....and as adults, still *going steady*, have the fear of breaking up coupled with the want to woohoo with other sims than their partner...)

Offline aussieone

• Mushloving Mophead
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2018, 01:24:21 PM »
I ran the HCDU and wouldn't you know it, another phone mod was present.

It must have been bundled in with one of the lots I unpacked with the Sims2pack Installer. It was named very closely to Pes's mod, so I missed it on first viewing.

Took it out and everything's seems to be running smoothly now.

Thanks for the help BO and ZZ and apologies for the runaround. Still, this thread may help someone else with a similar problem.  :smile:

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2018, 02:13:03 PM »
I always install custom lots to their own folder outside the game and check carefully for all mods and remove them, then check the rest of the cc to be sure I don't already have it in my game.  I then install the lot *sans everything* and put the needed cc in its own folder in Downloads.  Then, if I don't like a piece of cc, it's easy to find and remove.

But I'm glad you finally found the culprit.  :thumb: There are some very naughty lot builders out there - lots should really be checked in a vanilla hood with just the necessary cc added, and ALL mods removed before the lot is uploaded.  I particularly hate those lots that have loads of hexadecimal cc in them!  And the Clean Installer has been around for such a long time.....  :walls:

anything
anything