Author Topic: Difference between Boiling Oil's sellable car and inteen compatible car?  (Read 125 times)

Offline semio

• Drooling Diaperfiller
  • Has not found this setting yet :)
I don't actually want to modify the car package, but I compared the two files and they look identical to me. Clearly I missed something.

A discussion about making one of Squinge's unlocked pie menu options compatible with inteen came up on MTS. I decided to try and learn about the ways that people resolve conflicts with inteen. I think I figured out the solution for Squinge's mod. Squinge's mod and Inteen B are both using the same line in 0x0000012E. So the fix would be to extract that line from inteen, put it in Squinge's mod, and then add Squinge's pie menu option to an empty line, and make it load last. Right? But back to the question that brought me here, I see where the conflict is between inteen and the sellable car, and I see how it was fixed, but I can't find the difference between the inteen compatible version of the sellable car and the incompatible version.

Here's Squinge's mod if that matters.
http://www.insimenator.org/showthread.php?t=91764
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 06:26:21 AM by semio »

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • We'll jump off that bridge when we come to it.
    • Leefish
Re: Difference between Boiling Oil's sellable car and inteen compatible car?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 07:27:19 AM »
There actually *are* differences in the TTAB file (and I suspect in at least one of the TTAs files as well). "Woohoo" and "Woohoo with $object" needed to be enabled for teens in the TTAB file for the Inteen version. And there might be some other minor differences as well. Believe me, no matter how small the changes are, they are absolutely relevant. If you use the non-Inteen version in an Inteen game, teens cannot woohoo in the car. And if you use the Inteen version in a game without Inteen, it is possible that teens *do* get the woohoo option that they should not get, and the game might crash.

Also, will you please never call me Boiling Oil again? I'm BoilingOil, with NO space in the middle  :cheese:
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 07:29:10 AM by BoilingOil »

"BO, Sir, you rock! :bow:" - TheISZ                           (banner design: eefje00704/Eva)

Offline semio

• Drooling Diaperfiller
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 07:46:03 AM »
Ohhhh. Thanks. I knew there had to be something I was missing. I understand that the changes are relevant, and I'm not planning to use the wrong one. I spent time going through the text lists line by line, so it's not that I didn't think the differences mattered. I just didn't see them at all. :blush:  I'm just trying to figure out how this all works and apply it to other situations. And yes, I'll remember that your name is all one word next time, sorry.

I think I figured out the solution for Squinge's mod. Squinge's mod and Inteen B are both using the same line in 0x0000012E. So the fix would be to extract that line from inteen, put it in Squinge's mod, and then add Squinge's pie menu option to an empty line, and make it load last. Right?
ETA - I forgot to mention that the Add/change action string primitive would also have to be edited to point to the right line in the strings. Hopefully I haven't missed any other steps.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 08:20:49 AM by semio »

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • We'll jump off that bridge when we come to it.
    • Leefish
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 09:02:34 AM »
I understand completely. The changes are so small (a check mark on two of the of the lines in the TTAB, and maybe some other equally tiny changes) that it's easy to miss them. Sometimes the answer is right in front of you, almost pointing at you and mocking you, and you still simply don't see it. The same thing *could* have happened to me, if I hadn't been the creator of the mod. Heck, you can believe me when I say that such things HAVE happened to me a few times. Even with some of my own mods... where I made a change, and later didn't remember what it was that I had done. And for the life of me, no matter how long I looked, I would not notice it. Especially if a long time has passed, like a few years...

So rest assured, Semio, that I don't blame you or anything like that. I was just happy that I could help you this easily. :)

"BO, Sir, you rock! :bow:" - TheISZ                           (banner design: eefje00704/Eva)

Offline semio

• Drooling Diaperfiller
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2017, 01:36:10 PM »
I'm glad it was easy for you too, and I appreciate you taking the time to help. :smile:

anything