Author Topic: Changing Prices in SimPE  (Read 6347 times)

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • Superannuated Coffeeholic
    • Zephyr Zodiac @ 4-Shared
Changing Prices in SimPE
« on: September 16, 2013, 03:56:19 AM »
I know how to change the prices of walls and floors in SimPE, but the same method doesn't appear to be available for objects, and there are a few that I would like to make just a tad more expensive (to satisfy those fortune sims and keep some of my favourite objects in the game).

Like a lot of people, I've found it impossible to install Sims2Cat on my laptop, and for various reasons using my desktop is at present not an option.  So, on the laptop, it seems that my only option is to use SimPE for this purpose, and I just can't find where, exactly, the cost is located.  Does anyone know where to find it?
"All the world's a Neighbourhood, and all the men and women merely Sims."  ZephyrZodiac with apologies to Willie Waggledagger.

http://www.4shared.com/u/yCrnLoEP/Zephyr_Zodiac.html

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
  • We'll jump off that bridge when we come to it.
    • Leefish
Re: Changing Prices in SimPE
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 04:51:43 AM »
If you select an object's OBJD file, the price can be found in the RAW data tab in the Preview window. Just edit the price, and then save the file. After reloading that resource, SimPE will correctly show the new value. The game will now also recognize the new price.

Hope this helps...

"BO, Sir, you rock! :bow:" - TheISZ                           (banner design: eefje00704/Eva)

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 04:55:53 AM »
It does indeed!  Thank you, BO, I'll go and try it out now.... :thumb:

Found the price section, only problem is the price is shown as 0x06f4!  (Should, I think, mean 1,800 simoleons, so how do I change that to 2,000?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 05:03:36 AM by zephyrzodiac »
"All the world's a Neighbourhood, and all the men and women merely Sims."  ZephyrZodiac with apologies to Willie Waggledagger.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 05:02:19 AM »
Glad I'm still useful for something… :D Let me know if you run into any snags, although I don't expect any.

Ah, at the top right of that section, there should be a radio button marked Dec or Decimal. Tick that button, and the prices will change into something more legible :D

Sorry I forgot to mention that earlier. :zip:
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 05:12:37 AM by BoilingOil »

"BO, Sir, you rock! :bow:" - TheISZ                           (banner design: eefje00704/Eva)

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 05:12:05 AM »
I think you missed my edit...

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 05:13:01 AM »
Yup, I edited mine as well.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 05:45:42 AM »
Thank you, I sorted it out now!  Why didn't I spot that, I wonder? :hmm:

OK, tried three times, and the package didn't save the new price!  Checked the file and it isn't read only, so why would that be the case?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 05:50:43 AM by zephyrzodiac »

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 05:54:37 AM »
Inconspicuous little knob... Easy to miss. Really, you're not to blame for not seeing it.

Ah wait, maybe I forgot something more... On the left side in the same window, there should be a button or link to commit changes, if I remember well. Hitting that before saving the file might help.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 05:59:06 AM »
No, still no luck I'm afraid.  Would it be because it's a bed? 

Ah!  The actual file is writeable, but the OBJD file is not!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 06:01:56 AM by zephyrzodiac »

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2013, 06:06:26 AM »
Should make no difference, ZZ.

So let's recap: you've selected the OBJD, ticked the RAW data page, ticked the Decimal button, altered the value to 2000, then clicked 'commit' and finally saved the file. And yet it doesn't show the right price?

After doing all that, did you try selecting a different resource and hen going back to the bed's OBJD? That might show that the change was actually made.
And in-game, only NEW beds will show the new value, ofcourse. Old ones aren't phased by anything we do. Stubborn little buggers…

And if it's a Maxis bed, then you are right: you would need to extract that resource, make the changes and save it into a NEW package. Hey presto, you just made a MOD!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 06:09:09 AM by BoilingOil »

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2013, 06:10:55 AM »
Still hasn't worked, and this time I tried Save as and let it replace the original file.  The date on the file is today's, but the price hasn't changed.

Now, I know it should work, since many creators do change the price from the original object, but also a lot don't and if it's this frustrating I can understand why!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 06:13:44 AM by zephyrzodiac »

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2013, 06:12:18 AM »
Baffling! I can't imagine what else we could have forgotten!

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2013, 06:15:18 AM »
Dunno, but there must be something I need to do to get it to work.  I'm gonna try a single tile object and see if that works.

That didn't work either, although again the file has today's date on it!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 06:20:10 AM by zephyrzodiac »

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2013, 06:36:58 AM »
Oh, that does remind me. For the bed, there may be multiple OBJD files, one for each tile. In order to get it to work there, all relevant OBJDs may require to be edited the same way.

By the way, did you reload the game and check if the prices in the catalogue have changed? I suppose you have, but I thought I'd ask just to ake sure.

Oh wait... Gripes, bloody mary on a broom stick! Do you have an all-beds-same-energy mod or any other mod that changes something about the beds?? I wouldn't be surprised if that mod also contained the OBJDs. If so, then you may need to change those in stead!!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 06:42:52 AM by BoilingOil »

Offline Aaroneous

• Mushloving Mophead
  • What can change the nature of man?
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2013, 06:47:43 AM »
For multi-tile objects only the lead tile(s) OBJDs should need to be edited for the price edit to work, The text lead should be in the OBJD's name. Beds will have two leads, One for each side.

(Banner By Sugah)

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2013, 10:32:50 AM »
Only bed mods I have are Smart Beds and the Sleep Clock.

Haven't tried loading the game yet, since you said that reloading the object in SimPE would show the new price.  Maybe it only does that after the object has been used in game?  I'll try that later and see.

Aaroneous, thanks for your input - I tried with a single tile object and had no apparent luck there, either.  However, I'll try the second lead side as well, and see if that helps.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2013, 12:23:22 PM »
Sorry, ZZ. Maybe I should have explained it better. When you select (and look at) another resource, and then go back to the resource you edited, that resource is reloaded internally, and the new data should show. That is, at least, if editing, commiting and saving worked correctly.
I just can't remember ever having that much trouble with it. But then, after ten months without a PC maybe my memory is just fading...

ZZ, I can think of only one more thing: after entering the new price, try clicking another line before you commit changes and save file. Maybe that does the trick.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2013, 01:59:27 PM »
Thanks, BO - I just found what I did wrong.  I used the wrong Commit option, didn't see the button lurking at the top, just the update and commit.  Strange, though, that you have to commit before saving, that isn't necessary when changing the prices of walls and floors.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2013, 02:23:00 PM »
Oh, maybe that's partially my fail too, ZZ. It's been a while since I last saw the SimPE screens... Update and commit is indeed a different thing...

You could think of commit as a way to confirm that you actually wish to save the changes you made on screen into the file that is currently loaded in memory. If you save without first committing, it's like abandoning the changes. It's an extra layer of security, to protect people from accidental changes.

I don't even know how to change wall & floor prices in SimPE, and I've never used Sims2Cat for changing prices. Maybe the save without commit is a Sims2Cat feature.

Anyway, I hope it finally works for you. :D
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 02:25:11 PM by BoilingOil »

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2013, 03:09:42 PM »
Yes, it works fine now!  Sims2Cat is much simpler, though, for changing prices.  What it won't always do is to get rid of the generic filename that you sometimes see in the Catalog instead of the custom filename, which is very annoying to see!  That can be done in SimPE, all you need to do is open the catalog section, and the empty slot at the top just needs a name added, committed and saved.  I've only once or twice come across an object that couldn't have its name corrected in this way.

Walls and floors are dead easy, just open the set of walls, etc., and then open each one, click the price of the wall/floor and change it in the edit box to what you want the cost to be.  (I hate the way some really nice walls/floors are priced at 1 simoleon, which means the sims really don't like their room at all!)  Unfortunately, you have to do it individually for each and every wall/floor.  When you get your computer running again, I could let you have some that I've repriced.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2013, 01:50:28 PM »
Actually came across another problem when I tried to buy the bed.  The colour belonging to the mesh shows in the catalog on all the beddings, but only the recolour shows in the frame section.  (The bed in question is Shoukeir's Anes bed.)  Now, I'm pretty sure that if I'd been able to use Sims2Cat to change the price, this wouldn't have happened, so I guess I've done something else wrong!  Oddly enough, beds already in houses haven't had a problem, although I assume if I wanted to change the colour with the swatch tool, they'd all turn to the darker brown wood recolour.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2013, 02:32:12 PM »
You mean that the original frame mesh is now missing? Oh that *is* an odd situation... I'm afraid I can't imagine how to fix that without being able to look at the data myself… :-(

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2013, 04:31:24 PM »
It's not so much the mesh that's missing, or I suppose the bed wouldn't work, it's the integral colour, which is a light wood.  I opened it up again and couldn't see any reason why it shouldn't appear in the catalog, or with the swatch tool.  It shows up when I look at the textures!

If I can't sort it out, it'll have to wait until I re-do all those wires and plugs and can do the price change on my desktop with Sims2Cat.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2013, 12:32:55 AM »
I'm not talking about the mesh of the bed in general, mind you. Just the mesh of the bed frame. The original color is usually tied to the mesh, to make sure that the mesh shows up in your catalog, even if no recolors for it are present. It's the mesh which is usually tied to things such as price, catalog sort, availability, etc.

It's unlikely that the color was changed, so I assume that the mesh - as it was linked to the part you DID change - was somehow affected by your alteration.

I would suggest that you reload the original .package of the bed, and try to edit its price again. But I wouldn't be surprised if you had already attempted that.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2013, 01:39:31 AM »
No,  not yet.  I'll give it a go, though.

Offline BoilingOil

• Slightly Off-Wack
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
    • Leefish
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2013, 02:05:00 AM »
I truly hope that it will help, dear. It is possible that an involuntary change was registered by SimPE last time. Having the same error occur again would be unlikely, so this retry would be our checkpoint.

Offline zephyrzodiac

• Chief Postaholic
  • Administrator
  • Whippy Whippersnapper
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2013, 02:53:37 AM »
That's certainly possible, with all the messing around I did!
It worked fine on AnoeskaB's MaxisMoreFunctional Stereo!

It worked!!! :yay:
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 07:33:27 AM by zephyrzodiac »

anything